Jan 19, 2019 - The day the magic died

well... I just made an offer and now I am stressing out.. been on the fence for over a year and then this came out... I have always thought I needed more points, so I figured may as well get them now so I can use them everywhere... but I didn't even think about the resale issue. I am not planning to resale, I plan to give them to my son hes only 10... but anything can change. It was always good to know it was a decent investment.. made it more worth it.. now maybe not.. ugh. I got in too late.... Just starting to enjoy the magic and its becoming less magical

The members forum could have been so interesting! Now we all understand how the game is really played.

well... I just made an offer and now I am stressing out.. been on the fence for over a year and then this came out... I have always thought I needed more points, so I figured may as well get them now so I can use them everywhere... but I didn't even think about the resale issue. I am not planning to resale, I plan to give them to my son hes only 10... but anything can change. It was always good to know it was a decent investment.. made it more worth it.. now maybe not.. ugh. I got in too late.... Just starting to enjoy the magic and its becoming less magical
Breathe. Again. In and Out.

Assuming you make it into ROFR review by 1/19 and then past ROFR, your purchase made today is identical to a hypothetical purchase of the same made last week.

Breathe. Again. In and Out.

Assuming you make it into ROFR review by 1/19 and then past ROFR, your purchase made today is identical to a hypothetical purchase of the same made last week.
Thanks.. yes.. you are correct. I will enjoy these points for years. So, I should just not worry about all that other stuff... its about us and our enjoyment not the maybe if we decide to sell stuff... OK... feel better now. and, our points will be better to rent if we decide to because renters will have access to all resorts!! So, that is also a good thing.. provided we hurry with this process!!

Actually, the reality is that you probably SHOULD have listened before -- because then you'd own at a location that can continue to be used at any of the locations including the new/upcoming ones.

So, it's fine that you didn't listen -- but those that did listen are actually still in a good spot right now.
I agree. I’m not worried until they take away any of my grandfathered I’m perks. When that starts to happen I’ll worry. But for now and my family it is what it is. I personally don’t even see myself staying at Rivera or the other new place. The new place to me is a modern wilderness lodge based on its location in my mind. Maybe it won’t be but that’s how I’m picturing it based on the location.

I've been looking at a contract since Sunday and have stepped back from making an offer several times. I had an AKV contract taken last month. While I was waiting, the new maintenance fees dropped and the 2020 point chart dropped. And now this news is really making me think twice. I must say that the historically high maintenance fee increase is really sticking with me. AKV is what we want and a 10% increase in one year just seems ridiculous. We're only looking at a 160 point contract. Is it possible that maintenance fees could be several thousand dollars in say, 10 years?

Transferred points retain their original ‘thumbprint’...which is why you can’t transfer resort A points into resort B and use for 11 month booking advantage - only the original resort B points can be used at 11 months at resort B

If you transfer points between contracts with the same resort and UY won't this be a hoop hole? The one contract was before 1/19 and the other after 1/19. The pre 1/19 contract will contain the points and do the booking.

I just don't understand the motive for this. Doesn't a strong resale market only benefit DVC? They can ROFR whenever they want and resell at direct prices. All resales were sold direct originally so Disney made their profit. They don't seem to be having trouble selling CCV direct. There has to be more to this..... I keep coming back to not understanding how a resale market hurts Disney..... Do they just want to sell direct at a faster rate? Are they hurting for a cash influx that much? Too much expansion lately? Something just doesn't add up to me.....

I just don't understand the motive for this. Doesn't a strong resale market only benefit DVC? They can ROFR whenever they want and resell at direct prices. All resales were sold direct originally so Disney made their profit. They don't seem to be having trouble selling CCV direct. There has to be more to this..... I keep coming back to not understanding how a resale market hurts Disney..... Do they just want to sell direct at a faster rate? Are they hurting for a cash influx that much? Too much expansion lately? Something just doesn't add up to me.....
Greed.

No new Resorts will surpass BCV and BWV IMO, heck not even BLT, POLY or GFV, (and I will take WLV over Reflections any day). Location is the point IMO.

Totally agree. My top 5 favorite resorts (in no particular order) are BCV, BWV, BLT, VGF AND POLY and location plays a big factor in that.

Since joining this board in 2012, when it comes to selecting a home resort, I have read countless posts by other contributors who have encouraged prospective buyers to "pay where they want to stay." What if Disney's Riviera Resort is truly a game changer, with lavishly furnished villas and desirable view categories? The resort will have direct access to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, via the Skyliner, and is within walking distance of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. Moreover, the rooftop restaurant will provide spectacular views of nighttime fireworks displays. Given its potential offerings, reserving the same villa at this resort, year after year, may be a phenomenal opportunity.

One of the questions I have is how the exchange between resorts is going to work with DVCI (classic 14) and DVCII (new resorts, Riviera ++) and is any kind of balance going to be maintained.

Right now anyone can exchange into any DVC resort, so no need to do anything special.

But soon, resale buyers of the DVCI system won't be able to trade into the new DVCII system and resale buyers of the DVCII won't be able to trade into DVCI. Are points going to be held back that can't be traded out. IE if a resale owner owns 400 BWV points and they can't trade into the new DVC II, are those points held back from DVC II to trade into? I would think this is going to have to happen, and if it does, that diminishes the ability of everyone (direct and resale) to trade as the pools available to trade into have shrunk.

What resort?
pixiedust:

I hope you enjoy the Magic for many years.

It’s not the same, but I was very upset about them taking away real glasses and mugs from studios. I called, sent letters and emails. My DH told me to sell if it was making me so upset. Well, I wasn’t that upset, but I was thrilled when they put the real things, glasses and mugs back, and what happens, we often book one bedrooms now, so it’s a mostly non issue for me.

I am disappointed when I think about the meeting that addressed none of these issues.

However, staying at a DVC Home with family and friends is still fun, and things that I look forward to doing.

Best wishes!

Bobbi:)

Since joining this board in 2012, when it comes to selecting a home resort, I have read countless posts by other contributors who have encouraged prospective buyers to "pay where they want to stay." What if Disney's Riviera Resort is truly a game changer, with lavishly furnished villas and desirable view categories? The resort will have direct access to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, via the Skyliner, and is within walking distance of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. Moreover, the rooftop restaurant will provide spectacular views of nighttime fireworks displays. Given its potential offerings, reserving the same villa at this resort, year after year, may be a phenomenal opportunity.

I agree that Riviera could be potentially a game-changer, but after all the questionable decisions of the past few weeks (and years), do you really trust them to get this right, though?

I'm worried about what will happen with resale being restricted to that resort. If I'm a direct buyer, sure, I could try to get a reservation somewhere else at 7 months, but it would still suck to be shut out at my home resort (that I paid $$$ for) because resale buyers can't book anywhere else.

When we were looking into buying resale we came here to get advise, and many people gave us wonderful advice as we weighed our decision.

One of the things I remember being told is that resale is a bit more of a gamble because you never know what Disney might do to limit resale contracts. We did not buy to resell so we decided that resale would work for us. We LOVE our points at BC and GF and use them every year. But, if we did want to (or need to) sell our points down the road, I would think that there will be people that would be happy to buy a 300 point BC contact and know they can stay there and the other 13 DVC resorts. That's just my thinking.

What resort?
pixiedust:

I hope you enjoy the Magic for many years.

It’s not the same, but I was very upset about them taking away real glasses and mugs from studios. I called, sent letters and emails. My DH told me to sell if it was making me so upset. Well, I wasn’t that upset, but I was thrilled when they put the real things, glasses and mugs back, and what happens, we often book one bedrooms now, so it’s a mostly non issue for me.

I am disappointed when I think about the meeting that addressed none of these issues.

However, staying at a DVC Home with family and friends is still fun, and things that I look forward to doing.

Best wishes!

Bobbi:)

thanks so much! It was AKV, I already own there 180 points and just had my offer accepted for 150 more... I thought super hard about BLT but having 11 month booking with all of my points and lower price per point etc. won out... still not sure about that decision but it was super hard to talk my dh even into letting me get more points!!! So, I am super happy and we will use them for a long time, my son is 10 loves disney and he will be 48 when they expire... then he can buy more if he wants !!

Last edited:
I have taken some time to digest. I have been shocked for many years that they haven't made some sort of huge change to deal with the rise of the rental market versus buying direct. I have laughed at their miniscule changes that mean nada. I don't know what people expected? Not said too sarcastically. I would really like to hear. They have to compete. I would have preferred offering more and more ticket options - more discounts --- multi-days, Epcot After Four etc. I don't like the change but once again they are a business that needs to be successful.

I have owned for 14 years. But I was ready to buy 10 years before that, it was just important to me not to finance. So I have followed practically since the beginning. The resale market is a tough competitor for them. And it has only become worse year after year. During those years where there was zero difference I used to laugh about how hard a sale it must be with prospective buyers that were fully aware of resale.

I am more annoyed over the point allocation where the reasoning is not properly explained, the inability to deal with the rental companies that I believe are really impacting studio availability. People often say points would be used by owners anyway. But there is a difference in where and how those points would be used.
I have stalked for years. I know what goes in and out at every resort, and unit size, from months and months ahead to last minute. There are always units going in and out but the cancellation policies are so strict for rentals it really is affecting movement in the last years.And most renters are clamouring for studios in general, way more than owners. Okay going way off topic.

I don't think resale on the 14 resorts is going to tank, unless they announce further changes. There will always be people looking for a better price for some terrific resorts. Heck owners at CCV, Polynesian and VGF should be in a good spot for young families looking at resale. And many of us earlier followers/buyers never saw the day coming that you could sell for more than you bought. Added bonus.

I do think it is awful for the uninformed buyer. But I have purchased a few pre-sale residential condos. The verbiage in some of those contracts can even fool a lawyer. And no one is announcing anything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter