Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Thanks GoGoBeans. I am more and more leaning towards switching our reservations to AKL CL. With a 2-1/2 year old what room#s on the 4th floor club level have great animal views while being close to the elevator?
We've all but once been off the Zebra trail. Close to the rock is good, but not too close. There are always people out near the rock so further down gives you more privacy and serenity.

Taking the stairs cuts out of the travel time from the room to the lounge too.

Thoughts? Paying for a pool view vs. taking our chances with a standard view?

Paying for a savannah view isn't in the cards this year, unfortunately.

Difference between standard and pool views would be about $125. I just keep thinking of what I could buy with that. But I also don't want to look at a parking lot or mound of dirt and fences.

Awesome! I am there at the same time as you and it is also my first time staying at AKL. I am planning almost three full resort days......all of arrival day as I get in at noon, a full day before MNSSHP and my departure day as I have an early evening flight. There look to be lots of great activities around the resort as well and the pools look lovely. Are you planning on doing any resort dining? I have dinner booked at Jiko, a breakfast at Boma and lunch at Sanaa. I've eaten at Sanaa before but both Jiko and Boma are new to me and I am excited to try them. I hope you have a magical trip! :)

Oh cool!! I hope your trip is magical as well, thanks. I see you are doing a solo trip. That sounds amazing! Those off days will be nice for you to have some quiet time to unwind. That is something I dream about doing...some day.

You're right, there certainly does seem like an awful lot to do around the resort during both the day and evening. Just relaxing in the beautiful lobby in the evening would be wonderful. I have heard a lot of great things about Jiko, enjoy!! So far, we only have dinner at Boma booked and that is the only meal we've had at AKL previously. I like your idea of Sanaa for lunch, that is somewhere I've wanted to eat for a while but never made it. And Boma breakfast is supposed to be one of the best on property. So, I may need to try and add those during one of our resort days. On our only full off day we still may hit a water park for a few hours before dinner back at the resort. Then we also have 4 other days where we plan to park ourselves at the resort pool for most of the day, then go to parks in the late afternoon/early evening. One such day is MNSSHP on the 25th, we plan to just stay at resort all day until party time. Then the day after the party we may hang at the resort and only visit AK for just a few hours in the evening to see Pandora at night.

Thoughts? Paying for a pool view vs. taking our chances with a standard view?

We stayed pool view a week ago and enjoyed it very much. I am doing it again in December. The pros are a very convenient room location, a beautiful view (see my review a couple of pages back), a lower price than savanna view, and no parking lot in sight, guaranteed. No savanna in sight either, but the pool area is green and lush, and you can see the animals from many places around the resort. The main con, which was not major for us, was that the pool courtyard could be noisy at times. This made using the balcony less enjoyable while that was going on. There is a daily pool party from 3:00 to 4:00, during time which they play very loud music. We found that closing the slider dampened the sound level in the room by about 90%, but we could still hear a very muffled bass beat. It didn't bother us, we were able to nap right through it. However, if any members of your party are very sensitive to sound and like naps, you may want to plan that around the pool party. At all other times the slider completely blocked out the courtyard noise. Some nights after the pool closed, I enjoyed reading a book on the balcony, but one night there was a group of teenagers carousing and shouting around the courtyard, so I went inside where it was quieter. Again, not a big deal to me, but YMMV. I know if my balcony had been closed in or faced the roadways, I would not have used it at all.

I have seen gorgeous standard views too, which look like a tremendous value! But you also run the real risk of getting the dreaded parking lot or service area view. Of course you can ask to be moved, but it may take a day or not be possible at all. I swore off "standard view room assignment roulette" two years ago, when paying rack rate for a villa at the Poly (late booking for F&W, no discounts available), my first room looked squarely at the parking lot and nothing else. Maybe one palm tree off to the side. We asked very nicely and were eventually moved, but I decided "never again," and now always book a level up.

In any event, you will be at the AKL which is so tranquil and beautiful that you can't go wrong! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

We are going to AKL Nov 25th-Dec 9th. We have stayed at CBR a couple of times, CSR once, and POP once. Loved all of these spots, but are really excited this time to try AKL. Kids are really excited about the resort and the animals. We have a standard room booked and will be hoping for a partial view for at least some of the trip, but know this is far from guaranteed. The cost difference for a pool room was pretty significant when I booked (almost $1400)... Does anyone know if they still give the kids beads for doing some of the resort activities? I have read that they can use these to make a bracelet. Sounds pretty cool. Thanks everyone, Greg

We stayed pool view a week ago and enjoyed it very much. I am doing it again in December. The pros are a very convenient room location, a beautiful view (see my review a couple of pages back), a lower price than savanna view, and no parking lot in sight, guaranteed. No savanna in sight either, but the pool area is green and lush, and you can see the animals from many places around the resort. The main con, which was not major for us, was that the pool courtyard could be noisy at times. This made using the balcony less enjoyable while that was going on. There is a daily pool party from 3:00 to 4:00, during time which they play very loud music. We found that closing the slider dampened the sound level in the room by about 90%, but we could still hear a very muffled bass beat. It didn't bother us, we were able to nap right through it. However, if any members of your party are very sensitive to sound and like naps, you may want to plan that around the pool party. At all other times the slider completely blocked out the courtyard noise. Some nights after the pool closed, I enjoyed reading a book on the balcony, but one night there was a group of teenagers carousing and shouting around the courtyard, so I went inside where it was quieter. Again, not a big deal to me, but YMMV. I know if my balcony had been closed in or faced the roadways, I would not have used it at all.

I have seen gorgeous standard views too, which look like a tremendous value! But you also run the real risk of getting the dreaded parking lot or service area view. Of course you can ask to be moved, but it may take a day or not be possible at all. I swore off "standard view room assignment roulette" two years ago, when paying rack rate for a villa at the Poly (late booking for F&W, no discounts available), my first room looked squarely at the parking lot and nothing else. Maybe one palm tree off to the side. We asked very nicely and were eventually moved, but I decided "never again," and now always book a level up.

In any event, you will be at the AKL which is so tranquil and beautiful that you can't go wrong! Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Thanks so much for your great response! I think you've talked me into booking pool. The noise wouldn't be a deal breaker at all. I hadn't thought about the "closed in" balconies, and I definitely don't want that. And we are already using a 30% off summer discount, so knowing my luck, they'd stick us facing the parking lot just for that reason.

We are going to AKL Nov 25th-Dec 9th. We have stayed at CBR a couple of times, CSR once, and POP once. Loved all of these spots, but are really excited this time to try AKL. Kids are really excited about the resort and the animals. We have a standard room booked and will be hoping for a partial view for at least some of the trip, but know this is far from guaranteed. The cost difference for a pool room was pretty significant when I booked (almost $1400)... Does anyone know if they still give the kids beads for doing some of the resort activities? I have read that they can use these to make a bracelet. Sounds pretty cool. Thanks everyone, Greg
November

ALK$Disney, 1st - 9th, AKV Jambo House

DizDad7, 3rd - 11th, SSR

TaraPA, 11th - 13th, AKL CL

Chimo2u, 11th - 16th, AKL CL

Mindy S, 11th - 19th, AKL

RmeDad, 14th - 21st, AKL

Bjcaed, 15th - 23rd, AKL

Sassy2000, 17th - 24th, AKL

Greg36, 25th - Dec 9th, AKL

So, this is our first time staying at a Deluxe resort. We booked a Pool View room with free dining. We will be there in September. I'm so excited!!

currently sitting out on the balcony watching giraffes and ankole cattle and all kinds of other things I don't know the name of...

Got here yesterday and LOVE it so far! This savanna view is the greatest thing...I am actually relaxing, which for me is pretty unheard of!

currently sitting out on the balcony watching giraffes and ankole cattle and all kinds of other things I don't know the name of...

Got here yesterday and LOVE it so far! This savanna view is the greatest thing...I am actually relaxing, which for me is pretty unheard of!

Wow. Thanks for sharing this! We booked a savanna room and I keep doubting the expense. We will be surprising our two animal obsessed children with the trip at Christmas and I just can't help but to think it will be so worth it. You put my mind at ease. Are you happy with your room or is there another spot you would have preferred? I'd love to know the room number and see pictures of the view after your trip!

Wow. Thanks for sharing this! We booked a savanna room and I keep doubting the expense. We will be surprising our two animal obsessed children with the trip at Christmas and I just can't help but to think it will be so worth it. You put my mind at ease. Are you happy with your room or is there another spot you would have preferred? I'd love to know the room number and see pictures of the view after your trip!

Your kids will love it! My 18 and 19 years did! It was nice anytime of day. Animals were always present.

I will post pics from 4409. Zebra Trail we were right of the rock.

Last edited:
Are the adult beverages at the bars served with any type of straw at all? If paper ones, How well do they hold up?

I was thinking if all they have is paper straws, maybe I should buy some reusable metal straws to take with us. There are also glass straws, but I would worry about chips or breaking those if dropped (or the pressure while in the luggage).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter