It's the Sling ...... Again

I still have the above beach towel from 2002!

I had been using the blue back pack bags from circa 2012 for 8 years (we had 4 of them). The last one finally fell apart after being used and washed so much.
So I switched to one of the sling bags for our next trip and I put it on the first day with a brand new shirt and it pulled all the fabric and ruined the shirt.
I was so disappointed. I loved those blue back packs.

The strap broke on the first one we received the first day I used it. Not a fan of the bags. I left ours in the room the last time we sailed.

I actually like the sling bag. We only have 1 since we've only been on 2 cruises. I'm a Girl Scout leader and I use it to carry the first aid kit, sunscreen/bug spray, paperwork, and a water bottle for myself when we do walks and programs. It's a nice small bag that keeps me hands free.

Having said that..they really should have a new gift every year...but I totally understand why they would have a surplus of them now!

I actually like the sling bag. We only have 1 since we've only been on 2 cruises. I'm a Girl Scout leader and I use it to carry the first aid kit, sunscreen/bug spray, paperwork, and a water bottle for myself when we do walks and programs. It's a nice small bag that keeps me hands free.

Having said that..they really should have a new gift every year...but I totally understand why they would have a surplus of them now!
The bag is fine and is a very nice gift. It's just tired and boring for a lot of us repeat cruisers. I got the bag dating back to my cruise in '17, so DCL really needs to change it out but now there's likely a massive inventory of them.

The bag is fine and is a very nice gift. It's just tired and boring for a lot of us repeat cruisers.
Agreed. There is nothing wrong with the bag intrinsically. It's actually a lot better than the prior Castaway Club gift, which was a scratchy burlap sort of bag & ours didn't last long. But there are only so many mini-sling shoulder bags you can make use of. I've gotten rid of most of them and only have one or two left. It's fine but I'm hoping we'll get something different when we cruise in December of 2022. Maybe a towel or a cute key chain or even just a really nice set of themed koozies or magnets or something. We don't need any more bags. At all.

Last edited:
Agreed. There is nothing wrong with the bag intrinsically. It's actually a lot better than the prior Castaway Club gift, which was a scratchy burlap sort of bag & ours didn't last long. But there are only so many mini-sling shoulder bags you can make use of. One per family member, multiplied by how many cruises you've taken since that bag has come out, means that many Castaway Club members have gotten a lot of those bags. I've gotten rid of most of them and only have one or two left. It's fine but I'm hoping we'll get something different when we cruise in December of 2022. Maybe a towel or a cute key chain or even just a really nice set of themed koozies or magnets or something. We don't need any more bags. At all.

You got one per family member? We only got one per stateroom…?

Still using the beach towels & the backpacks are the best--they've been all over the world with us, durable & hold a ton. The sling bags are wretched--don't hold much & won't stay on your shoulder.

I watched the Karen Bee vlog and saw that she had a sling bag in her room. I'm glad they still recognized the test cruise as "official" and gave her the silver status and gift.

I am not surprised at all that DCL still has sling bags(but how unfortunate). They've probably been dying to distribute them at this point and I agree that they should just give them out to everyone in the stateroom. If I cruise in Sept, I'll get another one and probably give it away as I have too many already! To be honest, I'll actually be really happy to see the slingbag because it means I'm back on board.

That's me haha this thread has CRACKED me up I didn't realise the bag was so old I was just so surprised to get one on the test cruise lol randumb0 I hope our sacrifice brings a shiny new bag to you in the near future! My sister will hopefully get hers when we sail next year so will be interesting to see what they have by then! I also got a lanyard btw in case anyone is interested.

That's me haha this thread has CRACKED me up I didn't realise the bag was so old I was just so surprised to get one on the test cruise lol randumb0 I hope our sacrifice brings a shiny new bag to you in the near future! My sister will hopefully get hers when we sail next year so will be interesting to see what they have by then! I also got a lanyard btw in case anyone is interested.
Howdy! I was actually on the same cruise as you way back in '19. The sling bag is definitely old and it would be nice if Disney changed things up. I'm glad you were able to get your first one along with the lanyard!
and your midnight :mickeybar

You will have nothing to worry about once that next cruise comes around as I am quite certain that your sister will end up with her very own sling bag....which means you'll have a second one! 🙃

Howdy! I was actually on the same cruise as you way back in '19. The sling bag is definitely old and it would be nice if Disney changed things up. I'm glad you were able to get your first one along with the lanyard!
and your midnight :mickeybar

You will have nothing to worry about once that next cruise comes around as I am quite certain that your sister will end up with her very own sling bag....which means you'll have a second one! 🙃

Was it 2018? I was on the Disney Dream in September 2018? I did do WDW in 2019 as well but no cruise unfortunately. We've booked a 3 night on the Disney Dream for May next year (twice deferred by 12months) which will be my parents first cruise! Haha love the spoiler lol

Hahahaha she'll get to join the sling bag gang! The parents will be next! :rotfl2:

Was it 2018? I was on the Disney Dream in September 2018? I did do WDW in 2019 as well but no cruise unfortunately. We've booked a 3 night on the Disney Dream for May next year (twice deferred by 12months) which will be my parents first cruise! Haha love the spoiler lol

Hahahaha she'll get to join the sling bag gang! The parents will be next! :rotfl2:
I got my years wrong...it was 2018! I was on the Dream for their HOTHS cruise on 9/10/18.

Unfortunately, DCL only distributes 1 CC gift per stateroom, so even though everybody will be silver, you'll only end up with one sling bag. If you and your sister end up sharing a stateroom you can fight over it. 😂

I think I have 6 or 7 of the sling bags collecting dust in the closet...not a huge fan.

My favorite was the black and red bag. Only got one of those but we still use it to this day. I also really liked the black & blue backpack bags, but that's going WAY back.

Attachments

• dcl.jpg
    dcl.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 23
  • dcl2.jpg
    dcl2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 23
I think I have 6 or 7 of the sling bags collecting dust in the closet...not a huge fan.

My favorite was the black and red bag. Only got one of those but we still use it to this day. I also really liked the black & blue backpack bags, but that's going WAY back.

I was thinking of the red and black bag; thanks for the photo, mine is in good condition. I still use the red mesh bags, too.

I stopped cruising before the slings came along, so I’d be okay with it next January.

We have a few sling bags also . . . I'm seriously not smart enough to figure out how to wear them!

I like my burlap bag from before that and would love just about any gift
!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts