"It's simply gotten too big, too commercial, too regimented"

What's your feeling about the article?

• It definitely reflects my opinion!

• I agree with most of its points!

• I agree with some and disagree with some of his points.

• I disagree with most of its points!

• It's completely the opposite of my opinion!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I read the article. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the article. I just think the trip is what you make it. If you want it to be regimented you can, if you don't want to make plans you can. There are pros and cons to both approaches. Personally we do a little of both. However, I firmly believe you can have tons of fun either way.

For one reason or another (band trips or family vacations) we have been to WDW the last 6 years. Have stayed on property and off. So i have lived through FP+ and FP ticket and no FP.

Net, as stated by many above it is no big deal, and once you get used to how to use it to your advantage it can be a help. I am like alot here, I prefer to just go where I want and not worry too much about FP+ . In fact, I have tended to use it on rides most don't just to make sure we get to ride it(Peter Pan best example of that...).

Key is to pay attention to what you really want to do, and then give yourself time to enjoy just walking around and seeing everything. If you focus ONLY on FP, you miss alot of fun.

As for meals, I have usually only made reservations once or twice a trip, we much prefer to just eat later or earlier than rushes and walk up in to where we want to go.

Just my $0.02

I wasn't too clear what the author's "points" were - she didn't have a good vacation because somebody else's magic bands wouldn't let them in the laundry room, and she didn't like being asked to fill in the rows at the shows... :confused3 (It IS sad to me that people are so inconsiderate of others that CMs actually have to make a public announcement to let fellow guests use the seating at a show... but the author's point seemed to be more like she felt her family had a deity-granted right to take up 3x the spots for the number of people in their party...) Also she was surprised that her children had meltdowns when she elected to stick to her "schedule" rather than feed them when they said they were hungry. :scratchin

The fact is that WDW is such a large, complex, and busy place, that you are not likely to have the best time if you just wander about randomly bumping into attractions. This is due to the popularity of the place and huge number of guests. Planning out every minute would be no fun and is not necessary, but having a general gameplan, plus some familiarity with the layout and FP+ priorities can certainly go a long way to making for a more pleasurable visit. We've always had great, relaxed, largely unscheduled visits by using FP(+)es for the rides with longest waits during late morning/early afternoon, taking a pool/nap break at busy mid-day, and (spontaneously) going on everything else with short to nonexistant lines during the first and last two hours of park operation. We schedule one enjoyable TS meal per day, and stop and eat (either at QS, snack cart, or from my fun pack of snacks in my backpack) whenever we feel like it.

Everyone is welcome to hate whatever they want, of course, but I just don't see what is so "regimented" about picking 3 rides per day that you want to go on. It's really not a big mystery which ones are going to have the longest lines... just look at the stats online and pick your top 3 per day - done. Then relax, see what the lines are like when you're there, go on what you want to go on opportunistically when the lines are short.

I've been to Disneyland a handful of times, but never WDW. Honestly, I just don't care to. Partly because the times we could go we would be miserable in Florida (coming from Colorado!) and partly because of how large it is. We just prefer California weather and I like that it's more intimate. And I feel like more of Walt is there.

But I agree with others that a trip is what you make it. Period. We stood in line for an hour for a Disneyland ride once and our boys got bored and decided to high five people who were walking by. Once we got up to the front they gave everyone in our group free fast passes for any ride in the park because they loved their spirit.

I dislike the new fast pass system. I enjoyed the days of leisurely strolling through the parks. I don't want my every second planned out for me.

I've been to Disneyland a handful of times, but never WDW. Honestly, I just don't care to. Partly because the times we could go we would be miserable in Florida (coming from Colorado!) and partly because of how large it is. We just prefer California weather and I like that it's more intimate. And I feel like more of Walt is there.

But I agree with others that a trip is what you make it. Period. We stood in line for an hour for a Disneyland ride once and our boys got bored and decided to high five people who were walking by. Once we got up to the front they gave everyone in our group free fast passes for any ride in the park because they loved their spirit.

Just returned from WDW and 100% agree about Disneyland. It was our first time to attend MVMCP but had been to Disneyland for Christmas a few times. It does not even compare. Small World decorations, Haunted Mansion decorations, and being able to book the Christmas Tour with reserved seating for the parade. The "Jingle" Cruise was not very exciting. Magic is still at Disneyland and seems less at WDW than in years past.

For those that live in the corporate world we have to plan everything on a day-to-day basis as part of our work life. We don't want to have to do that when we are on vacation! People want to take a break from their regular route when they are on vacation and when planning and implementing to a given schedule are part of your daily life you want to break the routine. That's something you used to be able to do at Disney but can't anymore.

If you think the magic is alive today you obviously didn't ever experience at when it really was!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Couldn't have said it better - us totally!!

On my sister's last trip, she had to wait 1 hour to be seated for her ADR at CP so she missed her FP+ window for A&E. She knew she was cutting it close but there were no other times available for A&E for a party of 4. So your theaory about haveing a wind range of options depends on what you want to see or do. If she had canceled her CP reservation she would've been charged $10pp fee. I really don't think FP+ is just as spontaneous as FP. I agree with the author.

I know paper FL wouldn't have offered meet and greets, but lets imagine it did. If she got to the park in the morning and the machine was offering paper FP for a return time of 7pm then she still wouldn't be able to get an FP for any earlier in the day. If she took the paper FP and then seating at the restuarant was running late then she would miss the FP slot and not have any option to move it. In this respect paper FP and FP+ are the same. However with FP+ you can TRY to move times around, something you never could do with paper FP.

I don't think planning every detail is great either, but I don't think FP+ is that much worse than paper FP.

I know paper FL wouldn't have offered meet and greets, but lets imagine it did. If she got to the park in the morning and the machine was offering paper FP for a return time of 7pm then she still wouldn't be able to get an FP for any earlier in the day. If she took the paper FP and then seating at the restuarant was running late then she would miss the FP slot and not have any option to move it. In this respect paper FP and FP+ are the same. However with FP+ you can TRY to move times around, something you never could do with paper FP.

I don't think planning every detail is great either, but I don't think FP+ is that much worse than paper FP.

Prior to FP+, if she got to the park at RD she would've been able to wait in a really short SB line. She tried this but because of the FP+ reservations, the posted wait was 1 hour. Could this have been totally inaccurate? Yes, but she chose not to wait.
I'm sorry, but you are assuming there is an ability to move FP+ times around, but this is only true for slow times and never for A&E, unless there's a last minute cancellation.
My sister has decided to forego WDW, because of all the planning. I've got a trip planned for April, but if the experience is similar to my last trip, I will not be returning to WDW. IMO FP+ has taken a WDW to a whole new level of planning. Frankly, I just don't value WDW enough for the amount of effort required to plan and execute the trip.

Got back last Friday from two weeks at WDW. I agree with those who explain how current conditions facilitate casual touring; it's certainly nice to be able to schedule a couple or three options for when you get to the park and avoid what have been known to be historically long lines for certain attractions.

But the current system is somewhat akin to regressive queuing; the more useful it is, the more likely the waits for your non-reserved options become longer and thus those additional options become less attractive. As another poster put it, "pick your 3 and done" which also translates into "use your 3 and done".

I suppose the longer term question is will the majority of WDW guests be content spending formal amounts of coin and planning time for such a casual experience.

Got back last Friday from two weeks at WDW. I agree with those who explain how current conditions facilitate casual touring; it's certainly nice to be able to schedule a couple or three options for when you get to the park and avoid what have been known to be historically long lines for certain attractions.

But the current system is somewhat akin to regressive queuing; the more useful it is, the more likely the waits for your non-reserved options become longer and thus those additional options become less attractive. As another poster put it, "pick your 3 and done" which also translates into "use your 3 and done".

I suppose the longer term question is will the majority of WDW guests be content spending formal amounts of coin and planning time for such a casual experience.

I can't imagine finding value in a theme park day that consists of riding 3 reserved attractions and then spending the rest of my time riding mediocre attractions because the waits are less than 20 minutes. Or leaving the park because it's just too crowded. I just don't value that type of experience!

I can't imagine finding value in a theme park day that consists of riding 3 reserved attractions and then spending the rest of my time riding mediocre attractions because the waits are less than 20 minutes. Or leaving the park because it's just too crowded. I just don't value that type of experience!

The wait times in general are never going to be under 20 minutes anymore, except for a small number of attractions (Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents that sort of thing). DisneyWorld has just got too popular. You just have th make the most of it and ride what you really want to. I personally would rather wait 90 minutes for Thunder Mountain instead of having three goes on the carousel.

I can't imagine finding value in a theme park day that consists of riding 3 reserved attractions and then spending the rest of my time riding mediocre attractions because the waits are less than 20 minutes.

If you can't find value in this park then what are you doing out here. Really just move on to something that you can find value in.

I, and it seems most other guests, are finding incredible value in FP+. It's not overplanned unless you just want to overplan things. I like to plan things, not because I have to, but because it gets me a step ahead of everyone else.

We went in May, and the trip was just plain awesome -- largely contributed to by FP+. It was no more planned than previous trips in 2010 and 2012. The park-of-the-day was still chosen first and foremost by where we wanted to be and by our ADRs and that was no different. We picked FP+'s that worked in around our reservations, but put them at such times that a delay at a restaurant would not cost us our A&E FP+. We got more fast passes at kiosks, and did not once wait thru a mob of people. It was literally 5 or 10 min waits for a kiosk if anything. And, we got decent options as our 4th and 5th.

Why ppl are likening FP+ to riding 3 rides then having to kick stones around for the rest of the day is just silly. Cuz that's not how it is.

We went at a busy time too, during the overlap of F&G at Epcot and SWW at HS... busy! In a single day we had no trouble riding both Soarin and TT (multiple times) plus MS, Maelstrom, Gran Fiesta, Seas and Turtle Talk, SE, and Imagination (twice). It did not even take a lot of work. Same strategies as before... get there early to ride one, then ride the other headliner via FP. Utilize all other resources available to you like single rider lines, rider switch passes, and the occasional bonus FP that you'll get from a CM for this or that. (all these things are unchanged in the new FP+)

SB lines were not any longer than before. I know in 2012 we waited a good 40 min for HM, and now in 2014 we didn't wait for it ~at all~ cuz any time we wanted to ride it we were able to pull a FP for it. We still walked on to People Mover. There was no half-hour wait. So many of our extra FPs we ended up not using, cuz we'd just get into doing something else, they'd pass, and so we'd go get a new one or just wing it.

* You don't need to do ANY planning to have a blast. It's Disney World!
* Kids don't care how many rides you get on, it is the parents who stress.
* You can plan a little, and if you put even a little thought into your trip pre-arrival, you can get most of the planning benefit
* If you wish to plan more, you can really optimize and cut out some down-time, which in itself is good only if you are not so regimented in enacting your plan that you pass on the time you would spend watching your kids have fun doing something unplanned.

Get over it people. I know you love Disney because you spend every day out here writing a billion posts about it. So why bash bash bash. Really? That's your happy place - bashing FP+ forever? Get used to it, adapt, and find a way to make some new magic at Disney. Try skipping a fast pass while doing something fun... you won't regret it!

I definitely agree with your sentiments and the PP's comment about "casual touring". Comparing my most recent October trip (FP+) to my last 2013 trip (legacy FP), the amount of headliner attractions that we rode was approximately 1/2 that of the prior trip. Same time of year, same number of days, similar crowd levels... the only primary difference being FP+.

At the end of the day, the system forced us to do exactly as Disney intended... we rode some of the lesser traveled rides that we usually wouldn't have experienced in the past. This is exactly what the new system was designed to do... spread the load more evenly around the park. That's great news for Disney, but I must say, it's bad news for the consumer. The price that I pay to get into the parks is the same (or higher), but my desired frequency to experience the rides that I want to enjoy has been substantially reduced. Thus, I am getting less value today for the same price paid last year.

The poll results are pretty evenly split. That tells me that the premise of the story is more about getting readers than an actual issue.

If you can't find value in this park then what are you doing out here. Really just move on to something that you can find value in.

As my previous post illustrates, it's not that there isn't any value in visiting the parks anymore. Rather, the new system simply does not allow you to take advantage of the headliner attractions nearly as much as the previous system did. Plain and simple, for those folks who enjoyed getting the most out of the headliner attractions, FP+ does not compare to the legacy system in that regard. For this reason, it's clear to see why some people perceive their overall "value" to be less under the new system.

I, and it seems most other guests, are finding incredible value in FP+.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I would say DISBoards is AT BEST 50/50 on the new system (I'd actually estimate it closer to 60/40 in favor of the old system). You don't have to look very far for that information... just look at the poll within this very post. Additionally, out of every single family member, friend or co-worker that I talk "Disney" with.... every single one them prefers the old system to the new. Surely, the level of dislike varies greatly from person to person, but I think it speaks volumes that every single person that I know to visit WDW would revert back to the legacy system TOMORROW if they could. That's not a gross exaggeration or misinterpretation of their feelings, either. Rather, it's the cold, hard truth.

It's not overplanned unless you just want to overplan things. I like to plan things, not because I have to, but because it gets me a step ahead of everyone else.

Obviously, the new system works out great for you and others who plan their vacations in a similar fashion. That's great for you. Please don't dismiss the feels of those of us who don't share same viewpoint as you, and please don't talk down to us as if we're "doing it wrong".

Rather, the new system simply does not allow you to take advantage of the headliner attractions nearly as much as the previous system did.

True, one cannot take advantage of the new system like you could the old. I was in that group that got the most out of FP- while most guests waited Standby. 'cest la vie. That's gone. But, I've not found it to be a problem to adapt my touring style to get on just as much as before.

I would say DISBoards is AT BEST 50/50 on the new system

Disboards is only a tiny drop of the 16M guests that visit the MK in a year. The handful of ppl posting nay out here, but posting so darn often about it, make it look like the Disney experience is negative. Disboards (and all forums) naturally attract those guests who have a gripe. But the vast majority of guests are visiting happily, and never come out to internet forums.

Obviously, the new system works out great for you and others who plan their vacations in a similar fashion. That's great for you. Please don't dismiss the feels of those who don't share same viewpoint as you and talk down to us as if we're "doing it wrong".

I'm not dismissing them. People incorrectly take positive reviews as dismissing those who have a negative view. But complaining on a forum about your dislike tho is about the most unproductive thing one can do, and some folks seem to spend all day every day complaining about it. Go find a way to make new magic. Adapt. Make it happen, don't complain about how Disney isn't loving you any more, cuz they never did in the first place. FP+ is not going away, ever, so people can be negative for the rest of their life, or they can move on and work w/in the new system. I was able to do so, it wasn't that hard to adapt.

I don't tour in a special style that makes FP+ work for me. I'm a typical family that goes to DW for a week every couple years, and we have ~no trouble~ riding a ton of stuff, which those who dislike it say they can't do. If I can get my butt on every attraction at Epcot and major ones multiple times on a F&G day, or ride every ride at HS on SWW opening day, plus ST and RR multiple times and make JTA, I don't see how one can say that is bad.

On the other hand ppl are saying it requires you to plan too much, and it simply does not. It allows you to plan as much or as little as you want.

Disboards is only a tiny drop of the 16M guests that visit the MK in a year. The handful of ppl posting nay out here, but posting so darn often about it, make it look like the disboards experience is negative.

Actually, there are 1/2 million DISBoards members, many of us who make multiple trips per year. We make up a VERY significant piece of Disney's annual visitor tally, and this is probably the best sample population you could possibly ask for regarding anything "Disney".

I'm not dismissing them. People incorrectly take positive reviews as dismissing those who have a negative view.

With words like "just move on", "just get over it" or "get used to it", it certainly feels like you are dismissing us.

I don't tour in a special style that makes FP+ work for me. I'm a typical family that goes to DW for a week every couple years, and we have ~no trouble~ riding a ton of stuff, which those who dislike it say they can't do. If I can get my butt on every attraction at Epcot and major ones multiple times on a F&G day, or ride every ride at HS on SWW opening day, plus ST and RR multiple times and make JTA, I don't see how one can say that is bad.

To be totally honest, I still had a blast on my October trip. This had absolutely nothing to do with FP+, and everything to do with the fact that I love being at Disney World regardless of the "flavor of the decade" ride system. Surely, FP+ didn't keep me from getting on anything that I wanted, but it absolutely, 100% kept me from riding certain attractions at the same frequency that I would have on previous trips with the legacy system. For me, this is not a positive change, but as expressed in one of my above posts, I understand why Disney did it. That doesn't mean that I have to like it. Just as much as you "don't understand why we complain about these types of things", I don't understand why some people expect everyone to love every single change that Disney makes simply because "Disney did it, so it has to be good". I'm actually envious of people that share your viewpoint, because your love for Disney is so strong, it's almost as if you have blinders on. I'm very much a realist, and I could spend an hour compiling a list with facts to illustrate how Disney has lessened its product offering over the past decade, and you wouldn't want to hear it. It doesn't stop me from going every single year, spending thousands per trip and enjoying myself in the process, but I don't wear rose-colored glasses, either and I call things like I see them. If that makes me a "complainer" in your eyes, then so be it. You can simply skip over my posts if you'd like :)

On the other hand ppl are saying it requires you to plan too much, and it simply does not. It allows you to plan as much or as little as you want.

Compared to the other system, FP+ requires more planning than the legacy system, period. To argue otherwise is futile. Prior to FP+, I wasn't required to book anything in advance of my travel, nor was I required to be glued to my smartphone while on vacation. If that doesn't meet the definition of "more planning", I don't know what does. While this might not be a problem for you, for many, it takes the "relaxation" out of our vacations.

Actually, there are 1/2 million DISBoards members, many of us who make multiple trips per year. We make up a VERY significant piece of Disney's annual visitor tally.

We don't.

1/2M members in total over the last 10 years of disboards existence. That's all members who have come or gone. Well, 16M visitors to the MK per year over that time is 160M. Now, 1/2M of those on the disboards is, as I said, less than 1%. Of the 1/2M, I see maybe 10 or 20 people who post MOST of the posts out here (hehe lately I've been one of them, but only cuz I'm excited that we just booked a new trip). There's probly a situation such that 20% of the disboard users have made 80% of the posts.

With words like "just move on", "just get over it" or "get used to it", it certainly feels like you are dismissing us.

Fair enough. But that's the reality. The system has changed, you can adapt or complain.

To be totally honest, I still had a blast on my October trip. This had absolutely nothing to do with FP+, and everything to do with the fact that I love being at Disney World regardless of the "flavor of the decade" ride system. Surely, FP+ didn't keep me from getting on anything that I wanted, but it absolutely, 100% kept me from riding certain attractions at the same frequency that I would have on previous trips with the legacy system.

:thumbsup2

I don't understand why some people expect everyone to love every single change that Disney makes simply because "Disney did it, so it has to be good".

Not the case! I already accept that one who got the most out of FP- (like me and you both) did so at the expense of all other guests and I totally get that Disney is better off leveraging this to drive revenue than to leave it a benefit of the diligent few.

I'm actually envious of people that share your viewpoint, because your love for Disney is so strong, it's almost as if you have blinders on.

I don't. But I'm a problem solver, and I look at the changes, observe the new constraints, and figure out the best way to deal.

I'm very much a realist, and I could spend an hour compiling a list with facts to illustrate how Disney has lessened its product offering over the past decade

Really? So if you could have the Disney of 1984 vs the Disney of today, you would opt for the former?

and you wouldn't want to hear it.

I'm as bummed as anyone that PUSH is gone, but... that was a thing we enjoyed before. My kids got to see him on one trip, and he got mobbed, and well, I can see why they would do away with it. Instead my DD got to meet Anna & Elsa and sing Frozen with them, alone, and it was the best experience you could imagine. So you take the new magic and balance it with a few things that have gone by the way, and make a great trip out of it.

It doesn't stop me from going every single year, spending thousands per trip and enjoying myself in the process

Nod

Compared to the other system, FP+ requires more planning than the legacy system, period. To argue otherwise is futile. Prior to FP+, I wasn't required to book anything in advance of my travel, nor was I required to be glued to my smartphone while on vacation.

I like to use my smartphone, and was on it in 2012 even before FP+. But also, I did not use it any more in 2014. FP's I locked in at home, and in-park ones you have to do at a Kiosk. I still picked parks based on ADRs, not Fast Passes. You still don't have to book anything. You can have it auto-pick some rides for you, and if you want to, you can even pull 3 FP- tickets before you ever even reach the park. Then, there's tons of availability on everything but SDMT and A&E up to the day of to change them if you wish.

Look at one of the top wishes... "bring SDFP+ to my smartphone to cut out the kiosk!" Hah. Even the worst haters of FP+ who argue it ties you to your phone, want it to go even more digital and more phone based! We subconsciously are saying bring more to our phone - but then argue on the surface how we'd rather visit a kiosk. Disney KNOWS we want more on our phone. SDFP+ will hit the phone eventually.

Remember the chicken and egg here. Disney is not implementing a system... which is then requiring people to be on their smartphone. Rather, Disney knows people are glued to their smartphone... so they are bringing FastPass to them in the preferred technology of today.

Disney is accommodating modern technology. like IPass. How many people resisted stop-less tolling on the roads and just liked to be able to pay when and how they wanted. Well, now, 10 years later, we look back on stopping to pay a toll as something from a history book. FP+ is the same thing. In a few years we'll look back upon pulling paper tickets as absurd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter