Items taken from room 😡

Knock on wood, no such issues for us.

OP sorry the meds went missing. I left an daily RX mistakenly at home last trip. Thankfully, a CVS near sea world was able to contact my hometown CVS

they handled everything, including contacting my insurance company, who authorized a full emergency 90 day supply with just my usual copay!

So frustrating for you, sorry

However, next trip perhaps consider just keeping a few days of meds in the room safe (daily pill case) & the remainder in a sealed/locked bag (Amazon) in the hotel safe
I am pretty sure that the DVC rooms all have safes. Mine always have, but I have never considered locking up my meds. May have to rethink that.

I am pretty sure that the DVC rooms all have safes. Mine always have, but I have never considered locking up my meds. May have to rethink that.

I started locking mine up when I inadvertently 'forgot' them in a hotel room. I take 4 scripts, and they do fit in the safe.

One of the problems is replacing the meds. That's not free. And OP had to go to the VA in Lake Nona for the Va meds. Also had to get CVS to replace meds. That's a significant inconvenience.

Recently I found out about a friend's struggle to help an elderly parent deal with the drugs they need to survive. People will steal anything in a pill bottle and ask questions later. Some people will take 'any' prescription. And people will sell and buy just about anything. I've learned to safeguard my stuff so as not to be inconvenienced. But it's overwhelming just to deal with without having to worry about thieves.

This includes your home. Watch out for the people that ask to use a restroom. Don't keep pills in medicine cabinets or in plain sight or anywhere that a bottle can be slipped into a pocket. You might be surprised at which of your 'friends' might do this.

I do think the 3 nights was generous on the hotel's part, but I also believe in covering bases and making a police report in whatever manner. If it happens every day in a resort with 500 rooms, eventually someone will look for the opportunistic thief, because then police or hotel is inconvenienced. My guess is that this happens often but goes unreported.

Wow, they used to allow smoking in the rooms back then! You can't even smoke in the parks now.
Not only did they allow smoking, but the resorts, and many of the restaurants, offered books or mini-boxes of matches.

Not only did they allow smoking, but the resorts, and many of the restaurants, offered books or mini-boxes of matches.
Ah, the good old days, when the rest of us--adults, children, infants--had to inhale a toxic substance because addicts had no regard for anybody or anything except satisfying their addiction. Just so terrible expecting people to have consideration for others.

Sorry this happened to you :( -

When daily trash/security check started (yes, since the Vegas shooting) - they "accidentally" took out my bag of dirty clothing/laundry (two days worth for DH and me). Housekeeping/security check should only be throwing away "garbage" from the trash can/pails. That is it. Nothing near it, around it, etc. It seems like this was intentional and wanted the "drugs".

I started to lock my laptop a few years ago. I used to leave it on the table and never had an issue. We have always left our medications out. DH takes quiet a few too. Will definitely lock it up moving forward.

Many years ago, we did have housekeeping turn in a Harry Potter souvenir we left behind. My daughter did not realize it until about a week after we got home when she finally got to empty out her luggage.

There are good and bad stories. Hoping to hear less bad stories.

Many years ago I had a silver necklace 'disappear' from our room at the Poly. I'd placed it in an ashtray, on the nightstand, and put a book over it. When we got back from breakfast, the room was made up - but the book was on the dresser, and the ashtray was empty.

My DH immediately called MouseKeeping and I went to the front desk. They were concerned, but basically said there was nothing they could do. If it was an 'honest mistake' the trash was long gone, and if it wasn't, the best they could 'legally' do was ask about it, but we were told, more or less, "don't hold your breath".
You dated yourself the second you used the word "ashtray", lol. I know this thread is discussing something that is super frustrating, but I laughed when I read that word. Just like pay phones, you don't really see ashtrays anymore.

Sorry you had to go through that stress. Let us know if anything comes of it. I understand your situation completely and I am extremely neurotic when it comes to any meds. I have never locked them in the safe, but the weekly case for whoever it is always comes with us through the day - In the purse or backpack. I realize it sounds like you have more than a regular container's worth. And you said you were there for 3 weeks so that's a lot more to handle. Anything else gets locked away or stashed in a very unusual spot.

I never trust anyone I don't know with regard to those types of things, especially when the drug issue in our country is getting worse by the day, especially with prescriptions - no matter what they are "for."

It's easy to leave in a rush and forget you have something important like that out. Follow through on your report and I wish you the best.

I never leave anything out in plain sight. If it won't fit in the safe and has value, it goes in a suitcase under the bed. At least they'd have to work to get to stuff.

In the future, I'd consider a nanny cam for the room, or perhaps a locking box with a tile on it that you can track.

One of several things with me:

1) I’ve never had anything ripped off by housekeeping.
2) I don’t leave anything of value hanging around.
3) I’m too naive.
4) I’m just not paranoid.

Every time I read these threads, I am reminded of when housekeeping at BLT threw out the top of my daughters wedding cake, her bouquet, the crystal cuffs that were on the bouquet, and some other wedding stuff. Happened 11 years ago when they came into the room before checkout time and decided we weren’t coming back. Occurred the day after the wedding, which was at the Wedding Pavillion and reception in the Napa Room at the Contemporary.

Somewhere in the annals of disboard history is my original —- much longer —- post about the entire situation. I keep trying to forget ——-

mac_tlc

I am reminded of when housekeeping at BLT threw out the top of my daughters wedding cake, her bouquet, the crystal cuffs that were on the bouquet, and some other wedding stuff. Happened 11 years ago when they came into the room before checkout time and decided we weren’t coming back.

Ugh. That's way orse than my non-disney story.

We had two suites at the hotel in the runup to and checking out the day after our wedding. We had verified late checkout on both of them. For the actual wedding night, we decided to go to a different hotel, then we were coming back. My aunt stayed in what had been my suite, and my new husband's suite was filled with the suits of his groomsmen and various other wedding things, including most of the leftover cake in the fridge.

We got back to the original hotel, and my then brand new husband walked into his suite to find the housekeeper actively throwing away cake. Not only was it expensive, but it was pretty much the best cake I had ever had, and I've had some good cake.

We got some financial things to make up for it, a free weekend stay in the future, and an anniversary cake from the bakery of our choice for that. I mean, the suits were in the room, the DND sign was up, and we had verified late checkout!

Every time I read these threads, I am reminded of when housekeeping at BLT threw out the top of my daughters wedding cake, her bouquet, the crystal cuffs that were on the bouquet, and some other wedding stuff. Happened 11 years ago when they came into the room before checkout time and decided we weren’t coming back. Occurred the day after the wedding, which was at the Wedding Pavillion and reception in the Napa Room at the Contemporary.

Somewhere in the annals of disboard history is my original —- much longer —- post about the entire situation. I keep trying to forget ——-

mac_tlc

I recall your post. It was terrible.

We also have had a few things disposed of when housekeeping thought we had left but it was a few food items that while we wanted them it wasn't significant like yours were. Most hotels I stay at they don't even think about working on the rooms turning over until it's check out time or unless they have a system where they are notified of a check out.

For meds - I bring extra that are locked up in the safe. And the ones I have out for use are tucked away. Nothing particularly difficult to get but I don't want the bother of replacing and I do have to have them. I don't think I should have to do this and at times have accidentally left them out without consequence but I look at it as a best practice situation.

For anything even remotely of Value - or that won't fit in the Safe - we just keep it in our luggage and keep it locked with our TSA locks.
We also don't unpack everything - we live out of the luggage and keep them all locked. No where is safe anymore :rolleyes:

I am sorry this happened to you OP.

It's funny how we all seem to ignore two important principles here. I should be able to leave the Hope Diamond on the kitchen table If I wanted to.

1. NOBODY has any business in my home without my permission or my presence.

2. NOBODY should be on staff that would steal anything (a utopian goal and I get that). Certainly not in HOUSEKEEPING. To the point of random lie detector tests if necessary, and anyone reasonably suspected of thievery should be terminated with bias immediately. Certainly after multiple inquiries.

I take a lot of expensive electronics with me necessary to my business and my pleasure.. I have them in my home here also. I don't lock them up. There isn't room, and you're not going to stop a thief anyway. I locked them up anyway. I locked the doors. See my point?

You may disagree with me, and that's fine. But I won't argue with you about it, because the two things above are reasonable and prudent and follow my rights as a homeowner.

It's funny how we all seem to ignore two important principles here. I should be able to leave the Hope Diamond on the kitchen table If I wanted to.

1. NOBODY has any business in my home without my permission or my presence.

2. NOBODY should be on staff that would steal anything (a utopian goal and I get that). Certainly not in HOUSEKEEPING. To the point of random lie detector tests if necessary, and anyone reasonably suspected of thievery should be terminated with bias immediately. Certainly after multiple inquiries.

I take a lot of expensive electronics with me necessary to my business and my pleasure.. I have them in my home here also. I don't lock them up. There isn't room, and you're not going to stop a thief anyway. I locked them up anyway. I locked the doors. See my point?

You may disagree with me, and that's fine. But I won't argue with you about it, because the two things above are reasonable and prudent and follow my rights as a homeowner.

My one point is that they may call it your "Home" but it isn't. In every hotel/motel you should expect staff to enter. It isn't illegal. Stealing of course is.

My one point is that they may call it your "Home" but it isn't. In every hotel/motel you should expect staff to enter. It isn't illegal. Stealing of course is.

It's a deeded property when I'm in it. I pay taxes on it. It is MORE than just what they call it, and they don't get to change what is when it is needed to suit a particular purpose. Agree to disagree.

The 2k might be a decent "offer" but most here forget that OP insurance might not cover pills before they are due to be refilled. So these might be outta pocket costs which can be insane!

facebook twitter