Is US/IOA disappointing compared to WDW? and other ???s

MNSSHP & MVMCP tix will get u in the park @ 4 pm approx $55

OP - have u considered a TS presentation offer? Sheraton Vistana (very nice:thumbsup2 ) and their Villages has them for $199 for 4 nights, with a 90 min presentation. (note; we were able to get one w/o mandatory presentation 2 years ago, hear it's no longer offered). Check out the resort board here for other "low pressure":lmao: offers, jk - some r said to be less hassle than others

as for the WDW tix, assume ur talking base MYW tix, did u price thru discount broker (undercover tourist?)

as others have stated, the best pkgs/deals r offered during slow times (think Sept's free dining promo the last few years), it's a trade off

good luck

Here is another price help with hotels. If you got to orlandoinfo.com you can get a magicard and get discounts on food and hotels. last year i got a room for around 45.00 a nite in march. This year i didn't have to use the magic card cause the motel that we are staying at gave us a great deal cause it was our third year staying with them. we are getting our room for $370.00 for seven nights. pretty great. I love universal and im not a roller coaster fan but there is a lot to do even if you don't like or cant ride the high end thrill rides.

I too, am having this delimal. I am taking my three girls in March. We are staying at Saratoga Springs. We have done Disney twice already. My youngest (now 7) doesn't remember going at all. My two oldest are 16 and 12 and I really think they would prefer Universal to Disney. But, I do not think I can go to Orlando and NOT go to Disney. I am really struggling with this. Good luck to you and your decision.

I just checked and your family can go on a 5 day Carnival cruise from Mobile AL on 9/7/09 for as low as $1,198.20!

Food (lots of food) is free but you would pay another $250 in tips for the 5 day cruise. $10/day pp.

In Calica you can take the children to see the Mayan ruins and in Cozumel there are many inexpensive things to do, dirt cheap souvenirs and of course the beach.

Sorry - no tips on Universal, it's new to me too.

I too, am having this delimal. I am taking my three girls in March. We are staying at Saratoga Springs. We have done Disney twice already. My youngest (now 7) doesn't remember going at all. My two oldest are 16 and 12 and I really think they would prefer Universal to Disney. But, I do not think I can go to Orlando and NOT go to Disney. I am really struggling with this. Good luck to you and your decision.
Why don't you concentrate on Universal this trip and maybe just do a day at Disney? Take a group vote as to what Disney park you would like to do and go there. You can buy discounted Disney tickets and any number of places if you're staying offsite.

:thumbsup2

We were in the same boat as you this year. We are a family of 5 and the oldest is a adult in WDW now. We have been to WDW the last 4 years, even with the 4 nights and 3 free it was going to cost us too much for our budget (next year is the BIG trip to VEGAS!!!!). So we decided on US/IOA instead. We are staying onsite, at the beginning we were off site but the kids and the disboard convinced me other:) We went with the buy 3 and get 2 nights free and the whole family is excited. We definately will miss WDW but we needed to budget this year and the kids agree. I'am spending more by staying onsite but the benefit of not having to wait in line I'm hoping will out way the off site price. We are saving by getting groceries for breakfast items and then sharing lunch (light) and then a late dinner at one of the restaurants on Citywalk. I gaurantee you, we are saving about 1000 by not going to WDW. The mouse will just have to wait another year or two. Remember though, going in comparing to WDW will make your trip even less. We are going in with a excited attitude and a change :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Why don't you concentrate on Universal this trip and maybe just do a day at Disney? Take a group vote as to what Disney park you would like to do and go there. You can buy discounted Disney tickets and any number of places if you're staying offsite.
We did something like this and we even did it while staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (got a good deal). We visited MK and Epcot and spent the rest of the time at Universal.

There's also Downtown Disney if you want a little Disney atmosphere.

:thumbsup2

We were in the same boat as you this year. We are a family of 5 and the oldest is a adult in WDW now. We have been to WDW the last 4 years, even with the 4 nights and 3 free it was going to cost us too much for our budget (next year is the BIG trip to VEGAS!!!!). So we decided on US/IOA instead. We are staying onsite, at the beginning we were off site but the kids and the disboard convinced me other:) We went with the buy 3 and get 2 nights free and the whole family is excited. We definately will miss WDW but we needed to budget this year and the kids agree. I'am spending more by staying onsite but the benefit of not having to wait in line I'm hoping will out way the off site price. We are saving by getting groceries for breakfast items and then sharing lunch (light) and then a late dinner at one of the restaurants on Citywalk. I gaurantee you, we are saving about 1000 by not going to WDW. The mouse will just have to wait another year or two. Remember though, going in comparing to WDW will make your trip even less. We are going in with a excited attitude and a change :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

i love your tag..........

check out the interactive map at universalorlando.com
it will give you ideas on what rides you don't want to miss out on.

i'm excited for you!.
i can still remember the first time we did universal.

i know you will have a very enjoyable trip at UO.

We always have a great time at UO/IoA and find it has its own unique "magic". A few months before we go, we start watching movies and shows and reading books that inspired the rides and attractions there.

We watch all of the Shrek movies, ET, some of the older more family-friendly Simpsons episodes (from Netflix), Seuss and dinosaur books and movies, Scooby Doo, Spiderman, The Fantastic 4, Betty Boop, and the list goes on. It's great seeing all of those things brought to life.

If you want to keep the food budget low, the counter service meals at UO/IoA are better than average. We're not big breakfast eaters in my family, and we were able to pick up big muffins and bagels for four people at Pastamore on Citywalk for under $10. Or your hotel may have a free continental breakfast. We also saved by buying two of the big refillable souvenir cups for $6.98, one for the kids and one for DH and I. We don't mind sharing germs at our house. ;) You can refill them with soda pretty much anywhere for .69, or ice water is free. My kids won't drink water or soda so I brought individual Crystal Light type drink mixes that are made for water bottles.

My older son is 7 and short for his age. He was able to go on several of the thrill rides and he is looking forward to going back again and again as he grows into the other coasters. He was just a fraction of an inch too short for Mummy, but was able to go on the Simpsons, Spiderman, Dudley Do Right's Rip Saw Falls, Pteranydon (sp?) Fliers, and Jurassic Park River Adventure.

Universal is a great place with wonderful theming and shows. Just get ready for movie magic instead of Disney magic. It's our new favorite place, and I grew up going to Disney parks. Universal is our reason for going to Orlando now. We want to fit the Kennedy Space Center in next trip, too!

We 1st did Universal 2 years ago (kids at that time 12 and 10)--they never wanted to even go back to Disney after that.

We even have free one day park hopper passes that we could have used over the past holiday to WDW and no one wanted to leave Universal.

Also, I have been plugging in different dates for the RPR and some weeks, the club is only about a 19 dollar difference per night. That would be a tremendous savings in food. Breakfast, all day soda/water. Afternoon hors d'oeuvres, and nighttime cookies/pastries. I saw many families obviously using the club to eat instead of a restaurant. Just a thought...:goodvibes

And you can relax at Universal and not feel like you need to take another vacation.

But....I did get a flier from Dollywood recently that showed some new rides and they really do have some great entertainment there. We used to have season passes to Dollywood and loved the area. Tough choice...

i love your tag..........

check out the interactive map at universalorlando.com
it will give you ideas on what rides you don't want to miss out on.

i'm excited for you!.
i can still remember the first time we did universal.

i know you will have a very enjoyable trip at UO.

Thanks!!! I got that for going to restaurants at disney when all the reviews were bad. Again going to US/IOA instead of WDW for a change!!!

We are a homeschool family too. :) We took our kids to Universal for the first time last May & they loved it. (They are 7 & 5)

I actually used to live right outside Gatlinburg too. While it is nice & fun - Universal is much more fun. :thumbsup2

Hooray! As you know we are going to be spending most of our time at Universal, too. I will let you know what we think when we get back. Think of some specific things you guys want to know and I will help you.

I think both of my kids will find more enjoyment with the Universal characters than with the Disney characters. I wish we were going at the same time! :sad1:

Hey, we homeschool, too! Maybe we should start a thread and see how many of us there are?

We should start a Homeschool Dis thread. Im not clear on the rules about that so I'll let one of you guys start it and you can tell me where to go to join in.

Yep family of 5 , 3 kids and one is considered ADULT since she is almost 15 and 5'8" tall :scared1:
why is she considered an adult at 15 for the hotel? or am I misunderstanding this. Height has nothing to do with child or adult at Disney & neither does 15 If you are 18 or over, you are an adult as far as the room goes, if you are 10 or more, you are an adult for the meals and the tickets...

We should start a Homeschool Dis thread. Im not clear on the rules about that so I'll let one of you guys start it and you can tell me where to go to join in.

you can make a thread for this in the first universal forum.
we have a chat thread there called "something about nothing"
which ALL are invited to drop in and yak with us.
it's just like seinfeld, something about nothing.
a conversational thread like the tv show is, or was......

i think it would be lovely for universal homies to be able to talk about universal and home schooling.
i home schooled one of mine during high school years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter