Is there anything lost by staying at a DVC resort?

We rented points for the Boardwalk Villas for our vacation last month. While we had tons of fun I'm not sure if I'd stay at a villa again. It just didn't seem as "magical" to me. It was a lot of little things, like no "Stitch & Mickey" wake up call on the phone, how different the decorations in the room were from a regular room, how the tv didn't automatically turn on the WDW channel when you turned it on.. I know silly stuff! It was a great price but I'm not sure if we'd do it again. Just my two cents, i understand why a lot of people love the villas though. Especially if you get the bigger rooms! :)

Huh??? DVC villas are part of WDW just like all the other WDW hotels. The DVC hotels have wake up calls on the phone, the TV has all the Disney channels on it. There are hidden Mickey's all over the place, in the bedding, on the balconies, etc. Are you sure you stayed at the BWV and not an off site villa???:confused3

I can't speak to BWV because I haven't stayed there, but SSR had the Stitch & Mickey wakeup, and the TV turned on to the park information channel. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, but I can't say I noticed any less attention to detail in the design and decoration of SSR than I see at the other deluxe resorts we've visited.

I was going to say the same thing :confused3 :confused:

Personally, I love having space for us all to relax in our "home" when we are at any of the DVCs. I don't cook there either but it is nice to make tea or have a drink in a real glass while sitting out on my balcony :love: I also love the fact that I can throw in a load of laundry each night before bed, fold it in the morning on my balcony(I'm an early riser and everyone else is still sleeping), put it in the suitcases and come home to suitcases full of clean laundry.:laundy: It all comes down to personal preferences, though. I haven't stayed Concierge so I can't speak on the differences. I do know that I love the space of the DVC and that we have a "home" waiting for us in WDW. No matter what you choose, have a magical trip :wizard:

I have stayed DVC many times and in various resorts--the only thing that is different is the kitchen facities or kitchenette, washer/dryer in 1BR or larger/ and the big tub!
Housekeeping if a CRO ressie will be there everyday. Don't like the washer and dryer don't open the closet/laundry room. Appliances are wonderful decorations--I use the fridge/freezer and toaster occasionally as well as the dishwaher becasue I don't want to wash dishes.
I get Mickey calls, I use transportation and I see hidden Mickey's!

Two completely different experiences here. Polynesian LVC is going to give you an incredible view of MK, with all those nice goodies all day long. You have easy access to MK via the boat or monorail, as well as a small food court type spot if you wish.
At BWV and BCV you will get a different type of stay. You will have much more room, with a nice master with a jacuzzi tub, a master vanity area, with walk in closet. Then a huge main bathroom with huge shower stall. A washer/dryer which I love. Yes, I do luandry no matter where I'm staying. I've done it at the Polynesian as well. You have a full kitchen. Most people think of a fridge in the room as a big deal, so here you get the whole deal!! Use it or not...your choice. You get a second bedroom for the kids, as well as a sofa that folds out into a nice comfy bed. You don't have the same food court type food options. And while you can walk to both Epcot and MGM, it just doesn't seem as 'nice' as being able to see the Castle from your bed at the Polynesian.

It's all about what you prefer. WE have friends who will never stay anyplace without concierge services. They are actually going this summer, staying at GF concierge yet paying for the DDP. Talk about overkill!!! It's all about what you prefer. I love BWV...to me it is so very magical. I get Mickey wakeup calls, I have hidden Mickeys, I get the stupid WDW channel as soon as I turn on the TV...sometimes it drives me nuts!!! It's just what you want in a resort.

If you really want a concierge room & are not stuck on BC, you could rent points & stay in one of the new Concierge 1 or 2 bedroom villas at AKL. :confused3

My favorite things in the villas are the jacuzzi tub, the walk in shower (I hate shower curtains), the walk in closet, and the full size refrigerator. Since I'm booked during hurricane season, I want the ability to cook if necessary, but I like the full size fridge just so I can stash all the water, soda and juice. I don't like the little fridges where I take a cold drink out, and put a warm one in to take it's place. I also like having a real freezer, so if I want to freeze a bottle of water to take to the parks, I can (I've never had much luck freezing one in a small fridge). At first, I wasn't all that keen on the washer/dryer (and it has a door to hide it, if you really don't want to see it) but I find that being able to pack 1/3 the number of clothes is a real treat. Plus, I can just throw a load in anytime, whether it's first thing in the morning while getting ready, or when I come back in the afternoon for a break. At least I know no one is going to steal my clothes while doing the laundry! If you can get a villa with an Epcot view, a lot of the time you will be able to see the fireworks part of Illuminations. I've never had a really bad view, although some people don't like the road noise if they are in the farthest rooms.

It's really difficult to compare the two options the OP is considering. It's kind of like apples and oranges. The concierge level is great in its own way, but you will be in a standard size room instead of spreading out in a villa. The villas won't have the lounge to relax in or the dedicated concierge, but you'll have your own space to relax in. I would consider how much time you will spend in the CL lounge, and how much you will use the concierge for planning, etc., vs. having the extra space, great bathroom, and the kitchen/laundry if needed. Also, consider which parks you will be spending your time in. If you will spend more time in MK, then Poly wins. If you will be spending more time at Epcot or MGM, BCV wins.

I have done both many times.

In all honesty, five years ago I would have said the Polynesian Concierge.

These days I'd go for the villas.

The CL service is just not that good these days to warrant the money paid for it. It seems that more and more people are finding that they aren't being contacted in advance, or are being contacted too late to get some of the ADR's they want. Generally speaking, WDW concierge have no ability to get you into a sold out restaurant or a preferred mealtime. There is no blocks of tables set aside for the concierge to book. The offerings have become more and more skimpy, and the behaviour of some other guests in the lounge has become so atrocious that it's just not enjoyable to be around them. When the CL offered unlimited bottled water to take to the park, it was a major perk. Now they just have the large glass bottles like the other CL's.

These days I'd much rather have the space. I can call room service to have appetizers delivered. I can use my fridge to store wine and beer. I have a ton of space to stretch out and relax, not to mention two bathrooms, a soaking jetted tub, a washer and dryer. I have yet to use the kitchen at a DVC resort to actually cook anything except toast, coffee, and hot tea--and heat up leaftovers. We love the convenience of not having to get dressed before getting coffee/tea in the morning, just walking out into the kitchen and making it the way we like it. (In my case that's tea with boiling water--not the tepid water found in the lounge.) I love having the washer and dryer, I can pack lighter and go home without heaps of dirty laundry. I toss in a load when I get up in the morning, by the time we're ready to leave I can put it in the dryer, and it's ready to be folded and put away when we get back.

And a guaranteed king bed--that's heaven!

Anne

We rented points for the Boardwalk Villas for our vacation last month. While we had tons of fun I'm not sure if I'd stay at a villa again. It just didn't seem as "magical" to me. It was a lot of little things, like no "Stitch & Mickey" wake up call on the phone, how different the decorations in the room were from a regular room, how the tv didn't automatically turn on the WDW channel when you turned it on.. I know silly stuff! It was a great price but I'm not sure if we'd do it again. Just my two cents, i understand why a lot of people love the villas though. Especially if you get the bigger rooms! :)

:confused3 Like Deb & Bill said, are you sure you were at BWV?

Hello Chasgoose

I did some checking

Assuming that you pay rack rate for your room at the Poly for a lagoon view room with concierge you would pay $ 575 per night x 7 nights would be
$ 4,025
I am not sure if that price includes tax.

If you were to rent points from a DVC member and pay $ 10.00 per point you could rent a 2 bedroom at the BWV, preferred view, one week stay for $ 2,700 a Savings of $ 1,325.

Where to stay?
I have stayed at both resorts many times. Before I purchase my DVC membership I was concerned that a DVC resort wouldn’t live up to the Poly
But it did. What we do miss the most about the Poly is the Location, Atmosphere, and being on the Monorail. They each have positives and negatives. Whichever resort you decide on you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck
Searl

I have to agree with all the others...DVC is a gem.

The resorts/rooms are all top notch deluxe resorts. Just because you are in a 1 bedroom w/ kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook...just pretend you are in a fancy suite.
the king bed and jacuzzi tub would be fantastic and NO other deluxes have king beds or jacuzzi's unless you book a suite.;)

on the flip side...we are using our points to enjoy a stay at the Poly this year. We spent our honeymoon there 5 yrs ago in concierge and it was magical. We are going back for our anniversary...but only a garden view...concierge wasn't worth the points to us. (or money either):goodvibes :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter