Is there a pattern to Delta price changes?

MicheyMouse

Mouseketeer
Yesterday evening two tickets a few months out were like $618. This morning they were $574. This evening they jumped to $688. Same flights and times. Both still have most seats available.

Anyone figured out a pattern to the price changes and know when the best time to buy is?

Airline tickets are generally cheaper during the week. I usually try to buy on a Tuesday. The legacy airlines also vary with each other. If one has a sale, the others will often follow suit but they usually don’t match the low cost airlines.

Optimum time to buy airline tickets is a frequently asked question on here, there is no one answer that applies to every airline. Every airline sets their own prices and decides when to release future fares, it is difficult to talk in generalities. Typically the lowest priced seats on any given flight will sell first and then the fare will jump to the next higher price-point. I doubt there is any specific day of the week to optimize your prices. If many airlines have flights from a particular airport probably means there is more competition compared to some other city with only a few (or perhaps only one airline) offering service. If you are flying to a popular travel destination also makes a difference if any discounts will be offered since planes are likely already full with other vacation travelers.

Demand for tickets around major travel holidays will always be greater and less likely to have any discounts offered. Thus, if you plan to fly around Thanksgiving or Christmas, it is probably a good idea to purchase your tickets as soon as you have finalized your travel plans. I would imagine for any trip, the non-stop and more popular travel times will also sell out sooner. Then you might be left with flights that make connections and/or have to travel at a time of day that isn't your first choice.

Unfortunately nowadays there is no consistent day/time it’s better to buy a flight.

Best I do is buy when the price is acceptable and rebook for a voucher in fare difference if the price drops (I do that with United, idk how it works with DL cash flights and I don’t book basic economy). This usually involves selecting a different flight of the same/close current price to the flight I actually want and then changing from that flight back to the flight I wanted.

Unfortunately nowadays there is no consistent day/time it’s better to buy a flight.

Best I do is buy when the price is acceptable and rebook for a voucher in fare difference if the price drops (I do that with United, idk how it works with DL cash flights and I don’t book basic economy). This usually involves selecting a different flight of the same/close current price to the flight I actually want and then changing from that flight back to the flight I wanted.
It works with Delta, you have to call in and can take from 5-15 minutes. Credit has to be booked however within one year of the original booking.
With Delta specifically, don't book on a weekend. Many times what happens is that Delta will freeze the schedule on Saturday early morning or raise prices to obscene levels while they change their schedule. Sometimes they forget to readjust those flight prices until Monday. I've seen this with United too, but not as bad. I followed a flight on Delta for a couple months, on Friday it was $450, Saturday it went to $1,800, then Monday it would come back down to $450.

I think the buy on Tues/Wed isn't as important anymore these days. Although there are still some truth to it because people that have weekend off will do all their travel research & bookings on weekends, so it's still highly possible that if you buy on weekends it's more expensive.

I have been flying with Delta for awhile now and I notice that in the past couple years, their pricing are kinda all over the place. You would think last minute flights are always guaranteed more expensive, but it's not like that anymore (except international flights). It all depends on demand and destinations. I have been watching flights to MCO from the west coast for the next few months, I can get a RT nonstop flights in 3 weeks that's cheaper than flights in May/June. Same with Hawaii, it costs $100+ more in June vs. flying in 2 weeks! Same days in the week, same exact flights! They have to have some sort of algorithm to help them set the price that makes sense to the airlines, but it makes no sense to me!🤷‍♀️

It works with Delta, you have to call in and can take from 5-15 minutes. Credit has to be booked however within one year of the original booking.
With Delta specifically, don't book on a weekend. Many times what happens is that Delta will freeze the schedule on Saturday early morning or raise prices to obscene levels while they change their schedule. Sometimes they forget to readjust those flight prices until Monday. I've seen this with United too, but not as bad. I followed a flight on Delta for a couple months, on Friday it was $450, Saturday it went to $1,800, then Monday it would come back down to $450.

PSA: Make sure that you set a reminder to use your credits. I had $100+ expire on me last month just 5 days before I shopped for flights to Punta Cana. Yeah, I was bummed :(.

It seems the prices go up when someone buys the time you are looking at and sometimes on weekends. Yes air fare is very expensive this year. As above you can book a category usually all but basic economy and get a voucher or they may have a promotion with a new credit card to book basic economy. There is just no solution to when these days as if it gets closer and the plane is booked it will go up a lot or if not it will go down. It is impossible to tell how full a flight is with basic economy as there is no seat assignment so a plane can show empty but only have a few unsold tickets these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter