Is there a lesser evil of summer months?

izzymommy

Earning My Ears
Due to school constraints our only choice for a 2020 Disney vacation is June, July, or through mid-August. Am I looking at pretty much equivalently high crowd levels (minus July 4th-ish time period) and equally miserable weather in all three months? Or is there a time slot in there that's even slightly more desirable?

August is just about the worst month weather wise, but I’ll likely be going in 2020 in mid-August because of school breaks and block out dates for AP. Luckily, the GSs are early risers so getting to the parks at RD won’t be an issue, and they love swimming so afternoon breaks will be great.

The part I hate about August (besides the weather) is it’s already the beginning of the party season and many nights the MK will close at 6 PM. That’s tough if you go early and then take an afternoon break- it makes for very short MK hours. June won’t have that issue- the parks are open early and stay open late so you can have the afternoon rest /break period if you want it.

July is Ground Zero for The 15s-a factor for some Guests and not a factor for others.

We did third week of August last year. It was hot, but it was at least 10 degrees hotter during a heat wave in July. The only really bad time with the heat was when we accidentally ran into the dance party parade and cooked on the pavement for 10-15 minutes.

Late August you are getting closer to prime hurricane season as well. We went this year over July 4 and again over Labor Day. July 4 was not as nutty as I thought it would be. Labor Day weekend was the emptiest I have ever seen the parks—of course Dorian was a factor that weekend and I think a lot of people avoided opening of SWGE. Both times were hotter than the surface of the sun

We usually go at the end of July (sometime between July 20-30). In my experience, the lines at that time are significantly shorter than the lines we encounter at other times during the year. Other than summer, we travel at some very busy times; we were there over Columbus Day weekend and are headed back (Saturday!) for Thanksgiving week. I definitely find the lines shortest in July and the weather at its hottest. We don’t tolerate the heat + humidity combination too well (where we live, we follow the high altitude baking instructions on the side of the box!), but we manage in July by getting to the park when it opens, spending only a half day in the park and the other at the pool or just indoors cooling off, and drinking lots of water. We find it’s one of our favorite times to be there due to the lower than what we’re accustomed to crowds.

We generally visit in August. Last year we were there from the 6th through the 20th. Crowds were a mixed bag, some days seemed pretty busy, other days the parks seemed empty. Weather is pretty hot in August, with the daily chance of rain, but the storms are usually pretty short.

Outside of dealing with the 15s in July, summer is the best time of year to go, IMO. It's very rarely crowded (in relation to other WDW times), and I love it being hot. Just means you can enjoy the water attractions and water parks more.

I also think people make a lot of hyperbole about the heat. Yeah, it's hot. It's Florida in summer, so it is what it is. Pretty similar to other spots in the Southeast US. Additionally, it's not hard at all to have a simple plan to avoid prolonged exposure. So many attractions are in a/c, including the queue. No need to stand outside in the sun at 3pm waiting for Tomorrowland Speedway.

I live in the Midwest, it is usually just as hot at home as it is in Disney in the summer... but, I will say it is the intensity of the sun that is different. We just make sure to duck in somewhere air conditioned after being out in direct sunlight for any span of time, and I always keep a water bottle at hand. I totally agree with previous posters; the summer months have become much less crowded. Walking around EPCOT on the morning of July 5th was wild, it was practically a ghost park. And, I'll add that the 15's biggest impact is felt at the resorts they stay at.

We have gone the last week of July spilling into the first day or two of August the last 3 Summers. It is hot but it is also Summer so it is supposed to be hot. We are coming from a place that is within a couple degrees of being just as hot and humid so the heat is not a shock. We just remember to stay hydrated and take mid day breaks to swim and relax a bit before hitting the parks again for the evening. If you do it right, you do not have to wait in a line for hours to ride a ride. I do not think we waited more than 30 minutes for any ride the last three years. You can accomplish this a number of ways including fast passes, early morning hours, getting to the park at rope drop, and staying later into the night and getting in line just as the park closes. Also, riding rides during fireworks seems to help.

If you sat me down and said I couldn't go ever again unless it was summer, well, I would pick the Tuesday after Memorial Day as the absolute latest day to arrive. My kid gets out of school the Thursday before Memorial Day, so that is when our summer begins.

I've done July and Labor Day week. Never again. Even with walk on rides it wasn't worth dealing with the heat and rain and hurricane threats.

As early in June as possible. Weather isn't too horrible yet. August weather is brutal.

If you sat me down and said I couldn't go ever again unless it was summer, well, I would pick the Tuesday after Memorial Day as the absolute latest day to arrive. My kid gets out of school the Thursday before Memorial Day, so that is when our summer begins.

I've done July and Labor Day week. Never again. Even with walk on rides it wasn't worth dealing with the heat and rain and hurricane threats.

Interesting. I'm kind of the opposite. I prefer WDW in the summer. Late May to August are my preferred times. The hurricane thing is a non-factor for me, as it really is extremely rare at WDW. Yeah, it's hot but you can work around that. Don't get me wrong, I've done WDW at Christmas twice for vacation and was just down there last week (didn't go into the parks). I absolutely love the holiday spirit and decorations there, but a cold WDW for me is miserable. I want to be in shorts and t-shirts, not sweatshirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter