Is the Lei Welcome and water in front of the hotel back?

Lots of good discussion on this thread. To me, Disney always used to exceed my expectations (going back to the 1970's when my parents took me on my first family vacations to WDW). Even then it was expensive, but the themed experiences and guest service overall were truly unparalleled. So much so that Disney was benchmarked by other companies and was even able to create a Disney Institute that taught their lessons to other companies on how to behave. I'm pretty sure the term "service recovery" was coined by Disney as a way to describe what it took to make things right when they originally fell short. They would even teach that proper service recovery led to HIGHER guest satisfaction.

That Disney wouldn't have had a laundry list of excuses as to why they couldn't properly welcome guests to their Hawaiian resort with an upscale, authentic greeting. Even if the price of flower leis had gone up 10x, they would have figured out something else (kukui nut leis for both men and women, for example). The name "Disney" used to represent the pinnacle of hospitality, and wasn't just another name. And it was that approach to hospitality that earned them the respect and loyalty of their guests. If "Disney" has now become just another hotel operator, I weep for their future. They will no longer be able to charge the price premium they currently do, and will instead find themselves competing with everyone else for a race to the bottom on pricing (which they will lose, because of their exorbitant back-end pricing due to bloated management and overhead due to Imagineering even if it no longer represents the best of the best in terms of themed environment design/creation).
Respectfully, I think you're severely discounting the effect that COVID had on the hospitality and tourism industry. It has been the most significant economic event to hit that industry since World War II. Worse than 9/11. Worse than the Global Financial Crisis of 2007-08. It's not just a bump in the road. There's no data on what "that Disney" would have done, because "that Disney" never dealt with anything of this magnitude.

I don’t think it’s so apocalyptic to no longer have a bellhop give you a string of kukui nuts or flowers when you arrive. I mean, give me a break. Of course they’re doing it to save money, considering the current economy, and it’s not a crime. Why not just be glad that we all have the ability to vacation at such an amazing place? And if you think the magic is so severely undermined by this absence, just don’t go.

I do agree with the suggestion that it couldn’t hurt to tell them how you feel, though. Why not?

Well bottom line if we want leis back we should at least keep emailing them about it. If we constantly keep bugging them about maybe we will get it back. ( I email them about it every now and again.) But honestly there is a lot of people throwing around excuses which as much as I love Disney and Aulani cutting leis is now about saving money. In the beginning I agree covid restrictions and supply chain issues were such a big issue but now their actions prove they keep it going to save money or it would have been brought back by now. Many other hotels have them in HW now, man even DVC welcome show has them. I love Disney but some people really need to take off their rose color glasses. Now will not having leis keep me from not wanting to go, nope, but it loses some of the magic having to go to Costco and buying the leis and Disney is suppose to be all about the magic.

well said!!

Our trips to Aulani are always a celebration! Lol!

Having just returned from my first Aulani stay with no clue of how it was before, I am 100% OK if they never give free leis again. It's another use of the island's limited natural resources that I feel should be reserved for actual celebrations for locals and they get thrown away by the end of the trip anyway. I edited this post to note I'm pretty sure there were free water refilling stations around the resort, though did they used to give out special water?

I don’t think it’s so apocalyptic to no longer have a bellhop give you a string of kukui nuts or flowers when you arrive. I mean, give me a break. Of course they’re doing it to save money, considering the current economy, and it’s not a crime. Why not just be glad that we all have the ability to vacation at such an amazing place? And if you think the magic is so severely undermined by this absence, just don’t go.

I do agree with the suggestion that it couldn’t hurt to tell them how you feel, though. Why not?

There are plenty of amazing places we can go

It’s the small things that sets apart the best ones and make them stand out and be memorable.

And one day, when all the small little things are taken away, a resort just becomes “ another nice resort “

There are plenty of amazing places we can go

It’s the small things that sets apart the best ones and make them stand out and be memorable.

And one day, when all the small little things are taken away, a resort just becomes “ another nice resort “
For me, Aulani is anything but “another nice resort.” And I actually think that sometimes it’s better to focus on the big things that make a resort such as Aulani special…the lagoons, the pools, the architecture, the friendly service, the fun Disney touches, etc. That’s what you don’t want to lose.

As they say, don’t lose sight of the forest for the trees. Or, more accurately, the leis. :)

LOL - yeah, I’m sure that’s top of the list!

I’m betting some reduction or offering to offset the Disney+ price increases, followed by changes in pricing at the parks. And probably some changes in recent company restructuring. And some sit down with Hollywood talent.

And made in china
Is this a racist comment or you just being uninformed? My response won't really change...just kinda wanna know context. A very large percentage Disney products are made in Asia...china specifically. If origin is an issue, I'm sure Disney would move production back to the USA if people want to pay $xx% more.

The leis we saw at Ama Ama were obviously made by lei "craftsmen/women". People with real knowledge of the art. Not saying leis aren't nice at arrival....but at the end of the day...who really cares? Worst case, take one from the stitch statue....seems like that's where the unwanted ones go anyways

Is this a racist comment or you just being uninformed? My response won't really change...just kinda wanna know context. A very large percentage Disney products are made in Asia...china specifically. If origin is an issue, I'm sure Disney would move production back to the USA if people want to pay $xx% more.

The leis we saw at Ama Ama were obviously made by lei "craftsmen/women". People with real knowledge of the art. Not saying leis aren't nice at arrival....but at the end of the day...who really cares? Worst case, take one from the stitch statue....seems like that's where the unwanted ones go anyways
I would prefer if Disney brought back the leis, they're made in Hawaii by the local craftspeople to support their local businesses rather than mass-produced outside of Hawaii. I felt terrible their businesses were harmed during COVID. Also, I loved watching Auntie Kau'i make the leis at the Polynesian Resort. The "Made in China" was a swipe at Iger's questionable business practices with China, not a swipe at the Chinese people or products made outside the USA. I apologize if you thought I was attacking the Chinese people.

I would prefer if Disney brought back the leis, they're made in Hawaii by the local craftspeople to support their local businesses rather than mass-produced outside of Hawaii. I felt terrible their businesses were harmed during COVID. Also, I loved watching Auntie Kau'i make the leis at the Polynesian Resort. The "Made in China" was a swipe at Iger's questionable business practices with China, not a swipe at the Chinese people or products made outside the USA. I apologize if you thought I was attacking the Chinese people.
Appreciate the clarification. Seems like I misinterpreted your post.

Personally, I think if someone put Leis or no Leis in front of Igers desk he be Pro-Lei. But I'm guessing that's a few notches below his paygrade.

But I think that's a good reminder to people. Respectfully complain to someone in charge at the resort/hotel and also weight a succinct, non emotional email at home with complaints. I could see Iger sending out a directive to hotel GMs saying what are your 5 biggest complaints? Fix them. Just as a goodwill measure.

While I feel many of the complaint threads on Dis (and the Internet) arent warranted...many are. Hopefully Iger fixes most.

I still have my 🌰 necklace from my first trip and they gave them to everyone at the luau so they have them! It was a very nice welcome gesture and really made me feel like the Hawaii of when I watched it on television. I’d be fine with then handing out plastic flower leis for people to save resources but it’s just a little nice touch to give them out

Appreciate the clarification. Seems like I misinterpreted your post.

Personally, I think if someone put Leis or no Leis in front of Igers desk he be Pro-Lei. But I'm guessing that's a few notches below his paygrade.

But I think that's a good reminder to people. Respectfully complain to someone in charge at the resort/hotel and also weight a succinct, non emotional email at home with complaints. I could see Iger sending out a directive to hotel GMs saying what are your 5 biggest complaints? Fix them. Just as a goodwill measure.

While I feel many of the complaint threads on Dis (and the Internet) arent warranted...many are. Hopefully Iger fixes most.

Rather than a letter of complaints, I've found that the survey emailed after checking out provides plenty of opportunities to highlight both the positives and the negatives of the resort.
I still have my 🌰 necklace from my first trip and they gave them to everyone at the luau so they have them! It was a very nice welcome gesture and really made me feel like the Hawaii of when I watched it on television. I’d be fine with then handing out plastic flower leis for people to save resources but it’s just a little nice touch to give them out
I miss the actual flower leis as well, but the lack of them doesn't particularly diminish my enthusiasm when we walk in and experience the beautiful lobby. But artificial plastic flower leis? Hmm. Five minutes around my neck then 20,000 years in the Honolulu dump? Of course, maybe they'd get some biodegradable ones, though for me the lure of Hawaii is the natural beauty.

Having worked at Imagineering under both Iger and Chapek, you'd be surprised at what decisions flow to that level. I think the major difference is that Chapek was *only* interested in cuts and savings; you simply did not bring him anything that would cost more money for a better guest experience because he didn't want to hear it (and, in fact, they wouldn't make it to his level because lower-level execs would just remove anything like that before it got to him). Under Iger, and particularly the "new" Iger who has made it pretty clear he thinks we need to recover from the brand damage done under Chapek, I could see Josh D'Amaro bringing something for Iger's approval with a long list of amenities, enhancements, and improvements with a price tag at the end--"Boss, if we want to live up to our brand promise to our guests, I'm going to need $120M (or whatever) this fiscal year to implement my "Project Sparkle" initiative." Iger might approve it on the spot, or he might say something like "You can have $80M, so you figure out what fits in that budget."

So no, Iger probably wouldn't go line item by line item and judge whether it's worth $1M a year (or whatever) for Aulani to hand out flower leis and provide cool drinking water at check-in. But I could definitely see it being part of a presentation to him.

Having worked at Imagineering under both Iger and Chapek, you'd be surprised at what decisions flow to that level. I think the major difference is that Chapek was *only* interested in cuts and savings; you simply did not bring him anything that would cost more money for a better guest experience because he didn't want to hear it (and, in fact, they wouldn't make it to his level because lower-level execs would just remove anything like that before it got to him). Under Iger, and particularly the "new" Iger who has made it pretty clear he thinks we need to recover from the brand damage done under Chapek, I could see Josh D'Amaro bringing something for Iger's approval with a long list of amenities, enhancements, and improvements with a price tag at the end--"Boss, if we want to live up to our brand promise to our guests, I'm going to need $120M (or whatever) this fiscal year to implement my "Project Sparkle" initiative." Iger might approve it on the spot, or he might say something like "You can have $80M, so you figure out what fits in that budget."

So no, Iger probably wouldn't go line item by line item and judge whether it's worth $1M a year (or whatever) for Aulani to hand out flower leis and provide cool drinking water at check-in. But I could definitely see it being part of a presentation to him.
This is super interesting! Thanks.

View attachment 721902
There is in fact a welcome gift. We just checked in and found this cute pin in our room. The flower is plastic. I think it’s a nice gesture and was happy to see it!
I didn't get one! Is this a DVC only kind of thing?

They're still giving out the kukui necklaces at the luau!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter