Is Space Mountain Scary?

Ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Goes right through portions of Space Mountain. If you thought BTMR was scary though, I think the TTA is as close as you'll want to get to SM.

Ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Goes right through portions of Space Mountain. If you thought BTMR was scary though, I think the TTA is as close as you'll want to get to SM.

After the refurb to Space Mountain you can't really see Space Mountain from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority like you used to.

I think the DW version of Space Mountain is very jerky (Disneyland's is smooth - I could stay on it all day) so for that I don't care for it too much...no fun to walk out in pain. Jerkiness aside, I think Space is more intense since its in the dark.

I agree with this post. This over 40 dad can't take the jerkiness of this ride anymore. But as a kid in 1977, nothing was better.

The answer to your question is "NO". It's Disney! Disney builds its attraction for the entire family. Incredibly fun, well themed and no big drops.

The answer to your question is "NO". It's Disney! Disney builds its attraction for the entire family. Incredibly fun, well themed and no big drops.

Hmmm... Don't know that I'd agree with the claim that Disney makes attractions for the whole family. Rides like EE and ToT and most certainly RRC are certainly *not* for everybody. For that matter, It's a Small World isn't for everybody... :scared1:

Hmmm... Don't know that I'd agree with the claim that Disney makes attractions for the whole family. Rides like EE and ToT and most certainly RRC are certainly *not* for everybody. For that matter, It's a Small World isn't for everybody... :scared1:

Completely disagree.

I really like Big Thunder, Splash (our family favorite!), and lots of very thrilling HUGE coasters at Great America.

I do not like Space Mountain. At All. I find it terrifying. I was terrified when I rode it when I was 8, and I was terrified when I took my 6 year old daughter on it on our last trip.

I think it is not being able to see what is coming, but I find it very, very scary.

FWIW - My DH *will* go on Space Mountain but *won't* go on BTMRR. He isn't into thrill rides, but I think that Space Mountain is actually easier for him because it is in the dark and he can't tell what is coming next.

:confused3

I would rather see what's next so I can brace myself. I love BTMRR, but Space Mtn just isn't my idea of a good time. I would call it more annoying than scary. And yes, that's my opinion and your mileage may vary.

I enjoy IASW and don't care for Space Mtn. DD (late 20's) loves Space Mtn and all the other thrill rides her DH refuses to try, but DD hates the monotonous music in IASM and won't go there. To each their own.

I agree with the PP who called BTMRR a "sweet little coaster". We love it. We also like SM, EE, ToT, and RnR If you didn't like Big Thunder I can't imagine you being happy with Space Mtn. The darkness can be very disorienting. I'm sure that you can find other attractions that you will be more comfortable with on your trip.

Completely disagree.

You can disagree all you want, but their attractions aren't all family friendly. They appeal to all sorts of different people, yes, but they aren't all famiily friendly. My 16 month old son can't do EE or ToT... They were designed for people older and bigger than him, not the whole family. There's nothing wrong with that... They appeal to all sorts of people and I wish there were more adult-aimed rides and attractions.

I enjoy IASW and don't care for Space Mtn. DD (late 20's) loves Space Mtn and all the other thrill rides her DH refuses to try, but DD hates the monotonous music in IASM and won't go there. To each their own.

I gave IASM a shot this last time since I hadn't been in over a decade. While I was there, I remembered why. The music makes me bonkers too. I liked the "vintage" feel of it, seeing kind of where it all started and thinking of the grand legacy this ride kind of started, but I was very happy to get off when it was our time. My fiance laughed at all of the very stereotyped portrayals of the regions around the world.

That said, I <3 the Mexico ride. LoL!

We love Space Mountain! It's a rough ride so we only ride this one time each trip. And yes, I still get 'scared' every time. :upsidedow

We love Space Mountain! It's a rough ride so we only ride this one time each trip. And yes, I still get 'scared' every time. :upsidedow

I'll never understand how Space Mountain is considered rough,it is a bit rickety for a 36 year old ride but I've never expererienced "rough" on Space Mountain.If you want to try rough ride Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or the coaster formerly known as Manhattan Express at NY NY in Vegas or a bit closer to Disney,Gwazi at Busch Gardens before it got the Millenium Flyer trains on its last refurb,now it's nice and rickety like a wood coaster should be be not rough anymore where you felt lucky if you didn't break a rib on it.After riding Kong and Manhattan Express I was like thank god I'm still alive and I won't be doing that again.I would consider RNRC at Hollywood Studios a level above Space Mountain on the rough scale,nowhere near these coasters I mentioned but maybe a 3.5 on the rough scale,SM is like a 2.

I'll never understand how Space Mountain is considered rough,it is a bit rickety for a 36 year old ride but I've never expererienced "rough" on Space Mountain.If you want to try rough ride Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or the coaster formerly known as Manhattan Express at NY NY in Vegas or a bit closer to Disney,Gwazi at Busch Gardens before it got the Millenium Flyer trains on its last refurb,now it's nice and rickety like a wood coaster should be be not rough anymore where you felt lucky if you didn't break a rib on it.After riding Kong and Manhattan Express I was like thank god I'm still alive and I won't be doing that again.I would consider RNRC at Hollywood Studios a level above Space Mountain on the rough scale,nowhere near these coasters I mentioned but maybe a 3.5 on the rough scale,SM is like a 2.
Are you serious? I have ridden on several wooden coasters that were smoother -- like the Gemini and Mean Streak at Cedar Point! While we're at it -- even The Beast and his son at Kings Island is smoother than Space Mountain! I stand by my statement -- seriously, Space Mountain is rough on me but it's so awesome to ride. :laughing:

I'll have to check out those other rides you mentioned - thanks for the info. :goodvibes

Are you serious? I have ridden on several wooden coasters that were smoother -- like the Gemini and Mean Streak at Cedar Point! While we're at it -- even The Beast and his son at Kings Island is smoother than Space Mountain! I stand by my statement -- seriously, Space Mountain is rough on me but it's so awesome to ride. :laughing:

I'll have to check out those other rides you mentioned - thanks for the info. :goodvibes

I've been several times to Cedar Point,Gemini is not a wooden coaster,it just looks like one but it runs on steel and is a super enjoyable ride,I honestly enjoyed this coaster more than some of the bigger newer coasters Cedar Point has built lately.Mean Streak is known to be very rough at times,I however never had a truly horrible ride on it.As far as Kings Island there your argument changes as Son of Beast is considered by everyone on the rollercoaster community as the roughest ride out there,it was so rough that they basically stopped running the ride due to countless lawsuits from people getting injured on the ride which is in limbo now as it's not likely to be financially feasable to retrack or modify the ride,nobody knows if it will even open again,most likely it won't.It had many people get seriously injured on the ride so they chopped off the loop,opened it again without the loop and even without it it was truly a dangerous ride.The Beast while nowhere near as rough is not a smooth coaster by no means.

I've been several times to Cedar Point,Gemini is not a wooden coaster,it just looks like one but it runs on steel and is a super enjoyable ride,I honestly enjoyed this coaster more than some of the bigger newer coasters Cedar Point has built lately.Mean Streak is known to be very rough at times,I however never had a truly horrible ride on it.As far as Kings Island there your argument changes as Son of Beast is considered by everyone on the rollercoaster community as the roughest ride out there,it was so rough that they basically stopped running the ride due to countless lawsuits from people getting injured on the ride which is in limbo now as it's not likely to be financially feasable to retrack or modify the ride,nobody knows if it will even open again,most likely it won't.It had many people get seriously injured on the ride so they chopped off the loop,opened it again without the loop and even without it it was truly a dangerous ride.The Beast while nowhere near as rough is not a smooth coaster by no means.
Wow... you are really keen on coasters! I always thought the Gemini was a wooden coaster. Anyway, I couldn't believe what you just wrote about the Son of Beast. I am totally surprised about the closure of this ride. Obviously, it's a HUGE intimidating coaster but with the exception of the 'drops' my experience on this ride was quite pleasant -- I especially, remember a lot of air time (which is my favorite part). :sad:

I don't know -- maybe my issue with Space Mountain could lie with the 'bobsled' designed car -- in addition to the rough track. I enjoy thrill rides and HUGE coasters and they don't feel as 'rough' as Space Mountain, IMO. That said, I really love Space Mountain it's so much fun and has this kind of mouse trap vibe. :goodvibes

Also, I was under the impression that RNRC was much smoother than Space Mountain. RNRC is so intimidating to me -- I hope to conquer this fear on my next visit to HS. It looks like once you omit the pre-show for RNRC the actual ride duration is less than half of Space Mountain's! :cheer2:

You are now my official 'go to' poster for all things pertaining to coasters, lol. Thanks again for the info. :goodvibes

You can disagree all you want, but their attractions aren't all family friendly. They appeal to all sorts of different people, yes, but they aren't all famiily friendly. My 16 month old son can't do EE or ToT... They were designed for people older and bigger than him, not the whole family. There's nothing wrong with that... They appeal to all sorts of people and I wish there were more adult-aimed rides and attractions.

Okay, splitting hairs here a little bit aren't we? They won't let my dog ride either, and he's a member of our family.

My DS and I are both in our early 30s. We're not big thrill seekers. We tried Big Thunder Mountain on our last trip. It was a little scary for both of us. Is space mountain worse than that? We might try BTMR again this trip since it is fixing to go under a refurb but how bad is space mountain? I've watched some videos on youtube. But I did that for BTMR and it really didn't show me just how fast it went.

When we got off BTMR my sister and I both said "Never Again." We might just have to pass on some of these rides because I don't like drops.. How bad are the drops? TOT sounds really neat.. but I don't like drops. I think I might pass out! LOL. TIA!:scared1::woohoo:

For me.... scary isn't the right word for Space Mountain. I would call it....'jostly, and disorienting'. With a touch of 'annoying' and 'headache inducing' thrown in. :rotfl:

TOT... ohhhh I hated it the first time I went on. Well, see for yourself :lmao: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VnfomXAawk

NOW, however, it is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE RIDE AT WDW!! You wouldn't know it by watching that video. I can now ride with my hands up!!! It's so smooth and it never makes me feel sick or have a headache afterward. RnRC, however, gives me a headache every time. As does Dinosaur and Space. Too jostly for me- we'll do it once on our trip and that's enough. ToT, however, we'll do over and over.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A THRILL SEEKER AT ALL. I refuse to go to Cedar Point or Kings Island. Disney thrills are just that- DISNEY thrills. I can handle Disney thrills :goodvibes

Hope that helps??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!