Is Space Mountain Scary?

Cynthiagayle01

Mouseketeer
My DS and I are both in our early 30s. We're not big thrill seekers. We tried Big Thunder Mountain on our last trip. It was a little scary for both of us. Is space mountain worse than that? We might try BTMR again this trip since it is fixing to go under a refurb but how bad is space mountain? I've watched some videos on youtube. But I did that for BTMR and it really didn't show me just how fast it went.

When we got off BTMR my sister and I both said "Never Again." We might just have to pass on some of these rides because I don't like drops.. How bad are the drops? TOT sounds really neat.. but I don't like drops. I think I might pass out! LOL. TIA!:scared1::woohoo:

Space Mountain's drops are worse than Big Thunder Mountain's.

I would rate all of Big Thunder Mountain's drops as small. Space Mountain has drops which I would rate as medium. None are as large, however, as the large drops on Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Expedition Everest.

Also it is in the dark so you can't see where you are going (which may or may not be a good thing...)

I am one of those people who will quite literally go on anything, but I have known a lot of people who don't like thrill rides at all. It has been my experience that if anyone phrases the question as, "How bad is (thing x)?" or using a descriptor like "worse than (thing y)" then they will almost certainly not enjoy the ride. You phrased a couple of your questions using the words "bad" and "worse", which is an indicator to me that they are probably not for you.

I don't personally think the drops on Space Mountain are scary, but I don't find the drops on BTMRR scary either. I think the two rides are very similar in thrill level, with the added layer of darkness on Space Mountain.

There are a lot of attractions at WDW and at the MK in particular. If you don't enjoy the thrill rides, I would skip the things that other people describe that way, unless you are specifically looking to confront your fears or you don't mind feeling a little scared for a minute or two.

My DS and I are both in our early 30s. We're not big thrill seekers. We tried Big Thunder Mountain on our last trip. It was a little scary for both of us. Is space mountain worse than that? We might try BTMR again this trip since it is fixing to go under a refurb but how bad is space mountain? I've watched some videos on youtube. But I did that for BTMR and it really didn't show me just how fast it went.

When we got off BTMR my sister and I both said "Never Again." We might just have to pass on some of these rides because I don't like drops.. How bad are the drops? TOT sounds really neat.. but I don't like drops. I think I might pass out! LOL. TIA!:scared1::woohoo:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

I would say if you thought BTMR is "scary"--then yes, Space Mountain would be at least equal if not greater on the scare factor.

My mom and brother are a bit apprehensive about "coasters" but were fine with BTMR. They both don't really like Space Mountain. It sounds like you might be more fearful than they are and thus aren't going to like it either. (And I believe they both hate TOT.)

I used to enjoy it, but due to my neck, I cannot ride it. I must be able to see the track to be able to make my neck not hurt. It is completely dark and you have no idea where you are going.

I don't find it scary at all. I find it kind of thrilling. It is such a simple roller coaster ride--very basic. But in the dark with all the glowing cars and not being able to see, that is what makes it "thrilling". I also don't think it is as "violent" with big drops and twisting turns as BTMR. But I haven't been on it in several years.

If you go on the people mover (TTA is it's current acronym/name), you go into Space Mountain. You used to be able to "see" some of the ride--and hear the screams. But for some reason, I don't recall as good of a view on our last visit. Anyway-that would at least allow you to preview it.

I love Tower of Terror as well. I find it thrilling.

Now--I'm the kind of person who hates to be "Scared" for entertainment. So I will never go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal ever again. So I can understand that if you feel scared on a ride--and it isn't a big deal to just skip it.

Space mountain isn't much more intense than Big Thunder,however with the whole ride in the dark it makes it seem a lot more intense and thrilling,with that said it's my favorite ride in MK,it's just a fun ride.Big Thunder mtn actually is about 2 mph faster than Space Mountain but doesn't seem like it.

So is Space Mountain like riding BTMRR with your eyes closed? Is it a hard on the turns as BTMRR?

FWIW - My DH *will* go on Space Mountain but *won't* go on BTMRR. He isn't into thrill rides, but I think that Space Mountain is actually easier for him because it is in the dark and he can't tell what is coming next.

:confused3

I think the DW version of Space Mountain is very jerky (Disneyland's is smooth - I could stay on it all day) so for that I don't care for it too much...no fun to walk out in pain. Jerkiness aside, I think Space is more intense since its in the dark.

I am not into thrill rides at all and had never ridden a rollercoaster until I went to DL. I enjoyed BTMR but I think that would be my "limit". I pushed myself to try Space Mountain and regretted it. Being in the dark really scared me for some reason, I think because you never know what's coming up next. I would say in my opinoin Space Mountain is definitely scarier than BTMR.. don't think I"ll be doing it again that's for sure!

(obviously things might be a bit different at WDW compared to DL but just wanted to share my experience anyway!)

If you found BTMRR too much, you will almost certainly find SM much more intense. As always it is an individual call, but I would would say that SM is a lot worse than BTMRR. Personally, I don't find either of them to be scary, but I would say that Space Mountain is the "worse" of the two. I would also advise you think carefully before doing EE.

I agree with all the other posters in regards to:

- SM is in the dark. Total dark. They name it "space" mountain for a reason. You can literally feel like you are flying through space with all the twinly lights and cars zooming past you.
- SM is "worse" than BTMR but "worse" has a different meaning for everyone.

I happen to love both of them and I don't find ANY Disney rollercoaster near equal to those of universal (with a small exception to Rockin' Roller Coaster)

Now with that being said, you also mentioned Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror....

Expedition Everest is (mostly) and outside coaster. There is a part of it that has a very steep climb and a part where you think you will fly off the end. There is one BIG drop (much bigger than anything on BTMR) but it's over so fast and it's pretty smooth and it curves towards the end so it's not as bad as if it where straight down...
There is also a part that it goes backwards in the dark. Some people feel as though they are going to go backwards and UPSIDE down but you dont. I love the backwards part... but I also love Space mountain and btmr....

Tower of Terror is a whole other ball park of ride.
It's not a coaster at all.
It's a plunge to your death ride.
I will ride it. But I don't necessairly love to ride it. It has a different sequence set up every time so some rides are much more "tame" then others in regards to your "falling" experience. I've been on rides where I almost threw up because the drops were so big each time but i've also come off of it feeling like "that's it?!?" Will I continue to go on it? Of course, will I kick, scream and cry if I miss it? heck no:rotfl:

With my honest OPINION, I don't think you will like space mountain, expedition everest or tower of terror if you think btm is a little scary. However, i'm a firm believer that you should try everything once. If you don't like it, you have a couple options :

1. buy the photo because chances are, it's going to be an awesome memory :goodvibes
2. you'll have something to tell your friends and family about when you go back home
3. it only lasts a couple minutes, disney rides are incredibly safe and you'll never have to do it again :banana:

above all else, just enjoy your vacation! Don't stress about missing something if you think it's going to put you in any sort of discomfort emotionally or physically. Everyone knows a disney vacations is crazy expensive and we don't work or behinds off to save up for these to be stressing out over the small stuff!!!

:goodvibesgood luck!!:goodvibes

Well if you said "never again" on BTMR then you probably won't like SM! The drops are not bad at all, but it's dark, loud, and full of lots of twists and turns. You can watch videos online to see how scary it is. The picture we got of DD and I on the ride had both of us with our eyes closed (but smiles on our faces).

If you don't like BTMRR, you probably won't like SM. I found SM to be faster, rougher/jerkier, longer, and the overhead clearances to be lower in places. It's also all in the dark, save for the beginning which is fairly loud and has bright, flashing lights as you travel through a tunnel/tube, and the same at the end.

If BTMRR was too intense, you will most likely find SM to be too much. I don't think it's scary in the slightest, but if you find BTMRR to be scary, and too scary, then you will feel the same about SM.

You don't get a break on Space Mountain. On BTMRR, you get short breaks when it goes up the lift hills.

Well, it depends on how you quantify "scary" ;)

I consider Space Mountain actually LESS scary than Big Thunder for one very important reason: it's very dark, so you can't see where you're going. :laughing:

You can get a look at the ride from the WEDway Peoplemover/TTA/whatever it's name is now, but from there the dips look an awful lot worse than they rally are while you're riding SM.

Furthermore, the WDW version of the ride seats one person per row. In the Disneyland version, it's two people per row, so you and your "copilot" are at the mercy of roller coaster physics at every turn. Naturally, this isn't a problem in WDW.

The ride has some dips and spins, but they're over quick and you NEVER go upside-down. (All in all, there are only two Disney roller coasters in America that turn you upside-down, right? Rock-N-Rollercoaster and California Screamin'.) Space Mountain is also a much smoother ride than Big Thunder, which is purposefully designed to be rough. Matter of fact, it's the roughness of Big Thunder that bothers most people more than the dips and turns.

As a side-note, while the drops get all the attention, the scariest part of TOT is the atmosphere the ride build up. Even folks who were apprehensive about the drops and muscled their way through the ride anyway rave about the effects and set-dressing and all the great little TZ references.

For me, I'm not a thrill seeker either and it's not scary at all. But my last trip it was a little scary because I had ice-cream right before i went on and suddenly felt like I was going to launch that into space so all my powers of concentration were on controlling my upchuck reflex. It's not the ride that did it to me, but dont' eat before riding

For me, I'm not a thrill seeker either and it's not scary at all. But my last trip it was a little scary because I had ice-cream right before i went on and suddenly felt like I was going to launch that into space so all my powers of concentration were on controlling my upchuck reflex. It's not the ride that did it to me, but dont' eat before riding

Ah yes, good point: do not eat before any of these rides. But don't go on an empty stomach either.

Actually, this all reminds me of a very funny -but useful!- tangent in the UG2WDW where they asked a test pilot whether one should eat before or after riding Mission: Space. The advice was actually really good for people with sensitive stomachs, so you may want to check that out. (Though certainly, you should have a recent copy in your Disney library anyway.)

I like most moderate coasters and I LOVE Expedition Everest, but I didn't care for Space Mountain at all. It's incredibly rattly and jerky - it's like a constant bouncing vibration as the cars are zooming along and it's very hard on your neck.

I would say if Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was too much (and I consider it a sweet little coaster), then definitely stay away from Space Mountain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter