Is Knott's Berry Farm worth it?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I haven't been there in 25 years, but have good memories of it. During my next trip, (I haven't planned one yet) my DD's will be 8 and 4. I feel they'll be old enough to go. So we'll be adding an extra night to our package. So my question is, is Knott's Berry Farm worth it?:confused3

I am not a ride/coaster fan, but my husband and son are dying to go there. They are huge coaster fans.
I'm thinking they can go have fun and I may just relax by a pool that day. It looks like they will love it.

We went last month and I have to say for us it wasn't worth it - my husband absolutely loved the roller coasters and had a blast - my nearly 7 year old daughter refused to go on anything and she and I spent the whole time in Snoopy's camp on the rather tame rides. The wild west show was good though. They're opening new roller coasters shortly so if you're a roller coaster fan then yes you're going to love it but unfortunately my daughter just wasn't into it so I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably should have. We thought that it was nowhere near as "slick" as Disneyland - I mean the staff were very friendly etc, but it's just not got that Disney wow factor. The entry price is very reasonable (their website has discount vouchers) but the food inside was very expensive. We tried to take the ART bus there - the bus never showed, and never showed, and never showed - so in the end took a taxi - cost about $25 each way.

I moved this thread over to the Southern California Theme Parks forum, as it is not really related to Disneyland-specific planning.

Fellow DIS'er PHXscuba had a really good Knott's thread a while back, in which she gave a very informative rundown of ride wait times during her trip, food, prices, etc. If she doesn't find your thread and pop in here to give her feedback, I will hunt down the link to her thread and post it here for you.:goodvibes

I have to say a big ole NO, its not worth it. After our last experience at Knott's we will never be back. But that's okay too, it just gives us more time at Disneyland. :thumbsup2

Let's put it this way. We have guests coming to LA this summer and it never crossed my mind to take them to KBF. I guess if you have nothing better to do and absolutely don't want to do any of the countless other things in the area then sure, go ahead.

:goodvibes

Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I have a lot to think about. Anything to think of an excuse to make my next vacation longer.

Height has a lot to do with it. How tall is your 8-year-old? If she's looking up at the coolest rollercoasters that she isn't tall enough to ride, it would be sad. I ran into some friends there last summer and their daredevil 9-year-old looked crush.

Would you be happy splitting up for a portion of the day with one parent in Camp Snoopy and one doing bigger stuff? That's one of the biggest plusses of Disney for me -- very little separating.

"Worth it" is hard to define -- worth the relatively cheap price of admission, worth extending a trip or spending a precious vacation day on it (and the opportunity cost of what else you don't do), etc.

PHXscuba

I, like you had the same thought last Summer. I haven't been to KBF since I was a kid, sadly 30 some odd years ago. So I thought it would be a great idea to spend onef our days there since we drove on that trip and would have our own car.

First I was surprised at how far we had park in a dirt lot, felt like we were at the county fair:headache:

Then once inside I was sad to see so many roller coasters..it was like they picked up a Six Flags park and dumped it right next to KBF..

I did like the Pink's hot dog lunch spot!:lovestruc

My boys 8 and 10 were ready to go by mid afternoon.

I'm not a prude, or uptight and consider myself to be street wise but even I didn't feel safe at that park. Especially walking back to our car.

It might be worth a look see but I would have rather sent that day doing something else.

We love it and its a must do every Disney trip. It's not Disney so don't expect that type of park. Its a fun old fashioned western themed park with mostly thrill rides. The Knotts Diner just outside the gates is world famous and well worth eating at or do like we do, grab a bucket of chicken and a pie to go and eat at the tables near the side gate.

I agree with Huff there is no comparison to Disney & shouldn't be as they are 2 different worlds. With that said I went as a kid & had fond memories & took my DD she was 8 the 1st time we went & she loved it & is not a huge coaster lover. I went again w/DH & his 2 boys 8 & 10 who hate coasters & were going again as they. Also had fond memories of the park. Our kids are DD16, DS13 & DS12 & only DD likes roller coasters. There is a lot to do other than coasters. Panning for gold, the rapids ride, carnival games, the cole miner train etc. They have a wide variety of food & shops & we love it!

Also you can get discounted tickets from Ares travel they are print at home I paid $34 for adults & they accept AAA for discounts on merchandise & I think food in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter