is it true?

Actually, it's Disneyland that has the feral cat population (and I've seen them, too!). It's possible that WDW has cats as well, but I've never heard anything about it. Google searches only bring up information about DL's cats.

I have seen a few feral cats. One at the Poly, one in MK parking lot, one at Pop.

Just be glad there's no pics on this thread (yet...)....once I saw the "snake in the room at the Poly" thread pics I was freaked out for years. Was that the thread where it was a HUGE snake - like 6-8 feet - and it was just hanging out on top of the curtain rod along the sliding door? I would have fainted dead away. No amount of bribery would have ever made me go back in that same room again.

I must say that the armadillos we saw in February were very interesting, and non-threatening looking. It was the 1st we'd ever seen them there. I was more afraid of the gulls - they chased us whe we had churros - one stole the churro right out of DS12's hand as he was eating it!

As cute as armadillos are, they are full of diseases and can pass them along to you including leprosy! :scared::crazy2:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1306/is-it-true-that-armadillos-carry-leprosy

I'm going to tell my funny rat story from Spring Break 2009. We were walking the trail after the Safari at AK. My daughter was almost 6 and fancies herself an animal rescuer. While we were walking the trail, we see a CM standing there and a family looking at something on the ground. As we get closer we see a dead or dying rat (small, brownish), my daughter runs up and looks, the CM looks horrified and says, "Don't touch it!" My daughter says, "Its not dead yet, we can save it!" He shoos her away and she gets a disgusted look on her face, like this rat's death is on his hands, and just says, "it wasn't all the way dead yet." My mom then asks if its an imported rat (because its AK) or just a regular American rat. The CM doesn't answer and we walk away. Then we go a few feet to the kids/learning area, and the lady asks what kinds of animals the kids have seen so far, and my daughter says, "An almost dead rat." The lady quickly changes the subject and mentions other animals. :rotfl2:

If you want to get away from rats go to Alberta they don't have them. It's against the law to even own one. They just sent a pet one collected by a local animal rights group and flew it to British Columbia. :thumbsup2

Everyone deserves a little Disney magic...even the rats:

rat.jpg

Caught this guy when we were walking out of the land pavilion during our trip last year. He was just doing a bag inspection right? Perhaps the guard at the front did not do a thorough job! :rotfl2:

P5015450.jpg

P5015448.jpg

I can just imagine that there are rats, snakes, gators, etc. And I live in the South... in Georgia. And we have these huge roaches. They are actually called Palmetto bugs. But they are huge (over an inch long.) Oh, and they fly.

I'm not sure if they have them in Orlando, but I'm pretty sure they're in Florida.

But seriously, do not feed the animals. A couple years back, we had the weirdest thing happen to us. My eldest son and I went to eat at that Japanese CS restaurant and the other members of our family ate at the CS restaurant in the USA part of EPCOT World Showcase. Well while some other members of the family were eating outside, there was this squirrel. The squirrel had absolutely no fear of humans. And it was hungry.

So this squirrel was going around, hopping from table to table, trying to find something to eat. Eventually, it was my family's turn to get a visit. Yep! This bold squirrel just hopped on up and basically dared us to try to scare him off.

Needless to say, my DW and my MIL grabbed their food and ran inside. Well, the squirrel decided to follow them inside, too. This thing was hopping from table to table. Folks were running and kids were crying! My DW ran screaming from the tables and locked herself in the restroom! :lmao:

Needless to say, some workers came by and was trying to run the squirrel off. After a while, the squirrel left and went up the road. So I made sure that my younger son was finished with his meal. After that, I knocked on the restroom door to retrieve my wife and we were on our way.

All of that action just because of a squirrel! :rotfl: That is truly funny!

I am going to have to keep my eyes open for interesting creatures at Disney in May!:lmao:

The only problem I've had with animals there have been the dang birds at Flame Tree Barbeque!! :eek:

In January we stayed at POP CENTURY and in the parking lot atleast the main parkin lot where you check in by the light poles lining the walkway there are black boxes, well they have mouse or "rat" traps in them, they are huge!!! The only reason I know is when we were walking in to check in a white disney truck pulled up that said maintenance and opened the boxes to check them, then I saw him pull one out and put it in a big bag and put a new trap in the black plastic looking thing on the ground infront of the light pole and he snapped the lid back on and went on his merry way checking the rest of the boxes.

If you want to get away from rats go to Alberta they don't have them. It's against the law to even own one. They just sent a pet one collected by a local animal rights group and flew it to British Columbia. :thumbsup2

Yes, we do not like rats in Alberta and are very proud to be "rat free". Any farm equipment coming into the province gets thoroughly checked over to make sure that no rats are catching a ride.

This thread was one of those where you keep reading and feel sicker and sicker but can't stop - what an evil thread. Why, why did I even bother to read past the initial posting? What was I thinking?:sad2:

While waiting in line for the jungle cruise I saw a pretty big rat run into the little garden/woodsey area to the right of the waiting line area near the beginning of the line. Big rat, and pretty fast.

Of course people are starting to throw trash on the ground in that area, so I'm not surprised a rat was there picking up the scraps.

I've been to Disney several times (see my signature) and have NEVER once encountered a rat. That's not saying there isn't any at all. Rats can pop up anywhere and Disney is no exception but, in all my visits, I've never see one.
Last fall I did see a rather scary spider hanging out in a huge web of death but, I just kept an eye on him as I passed by and I also have a fear of things with more than 4 legs so, it probably wasn't as bad as I made it out to be... ;)

You are brave than me! I would have froze solid. DH would have had to move me, and I may have fainted ...

one time we saw an enormous snake(probably 4 or 5 feet long) on the bride at animal kingdom, it defenitely looked venomous. it was all curled up beside the water and we were the first to notice it.

OK so what did the bride do?

I'm from NYC and I've seen some huge rats there just walking down the street. Well, sorry to say I have never gotten used to them and I'm still terrified of them. Some were as big as cats, not kittens....cats!

I was really hoping disney didn't have rats. If i saw one, i don't care where i am, i will be screaming like LOUD!:scared1::scared1::scared1: So, if I'm on Small world (where nothing is scary except maybe 1 or 2 dolls lol) and I'm screaming, its probly cause a rat is swimming next to my boat...but I'm sure people will be wondering what is wrong with me. ;)

Anywhere there are people in large numbers-there will be rats..as long as they don't show up while I'm eating or take up a seat on the bus, I'm fine.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!