Is it just me???

Diane...
I was fairly lackluster last fall when the pics/video of BLT first came out. I toured the model and it has grown on me. I will admit, if not for the location, I don't think it would interest me as much. But we are in the process of selling our OKW and will be adding on to BLT in addition to our AKV. We love the cool disney artwork in the villas too. It just feels very modern disney to us.

The MK is our favorite park, so our choices were between BLT and VWL for ease/proximity to this park. I prefer the ambience/grandeur of WL/ VWL more----but the extra years at BLT, ability to sleep 5 in a one bedroom and the ability to walk/monorail to the MK won out. I think how nice it will be when we do the MNSSHP or MVMCP to be able to just walk "home".

The MK view points are high----we will probably not book too many stays with the MK view except for special occasions. I'd be perfectly happy with a lake view though. I am curious exactly what the standard views will be too ? Haven't figured that out yet----maybe lower floors of the MK view side ?

Also the better and more available food options that BLT will have helped make the decision. The day we found out about the point allocation at OKW and how our 2 bedroom stays would jump by 6 points a night, just made the decision even easier for us to sell OKW. We really did love OKW----but things have changed there over the years since we've owned. So with the allocation, we felt like we were going to be getting less for more.

So while I agree----sleek and modern isn't necessarily my thing---we do feel BLT has alot to offer in amenities/views/location.

Maria

It certainly fills a niche, stylewise/location, and will appeal to a lot of members. We intend to try it, but would never waitlist for it.

I'm sure compared to OKW everything seems small. ;)
Compared to the industry, DVC has small units. While OKW is large by DVC standards, it's average by timeshare standards.

Compared to the industry, DVC has small units. While OKW is large by DVC standards, it's average by timeshare standards.

Very true, Dean, but while small, some of the DVC units are MUCH better appointed than most other timeshares I have been at. Most timeshares aren't so theme based as the DVC ones. They are usually just generic contemporary.

I hear ya!;) I really thought I'd like it and the location can't be beat, but the thought of spending all those points is killing me! We have 220 points (so far), and I'm not going to spend all of them for 5 nights. And we can't buy more points for quite a while, so we're living with the 220 points.

We've stayed at CR several times, and really thought we'd like BLT, but now I'm glad we bought at AKV. I really think the studio at BLT got cheated out of square footage. It's about 26 sq ft smaller than the studio at SSR, and about 37 sq ft smaller than that at AKV. That's the difference of about 2 or 3 feet in length...not much, but significant enough to make it feel "cramped." (I've beenn studying floor plans. :laughing: ) BUT...CR is my parents' favorite resort, and I'll try to sneak in "one last trip" to stay at BLT with them.

Like others have said...there's a DVC resort for everyone.:thumbsup2 It'll be interesting to hear reports after BLT is opened.

I see advantages to the location, the decor I could take or leave. Besides being close to the MK, if someone is using a W/C or ECV the monorails are far easier to load than a bus. The Contemporary was always my favorite cash Disney resort, so I'm sure I'll try to book BLT at some point in the future, but I really don't think it will be more than once or twice, and I don't have any desire to own there. Overall, Kidani has more appeal to me than BLT, but I love my OKW.

I do see the appeal of the excitement of BLT, and those MK views fom the Contemporary Tower couldn't be beat. I think BLT is a great addition to the DVC system, even though it would have to be a special occasion for me to book a MK view using all those points.

I agree - for us it is much more about the convenience than the views. I admit the views will likely be great, but I don't know that I want to pay that price (even in points) to stay in an MK view room.

It's not just the monorails with an ECV - you can also just motor back from MK rather than even load on to the monorail. Unless we want to open the park we usually work our way through Epcot and take a boat to DS so that leaves only AKV where we need to load on a bus.

Not the location,

This is the only thing that I have to disagree with you...I don't think that *anyone* can dispute that BLT has the *best* location of all of the DVC resorts, perhaps maybe of all Disney resorts. Not only is it on the monorail, but it is the closest resort to MK, to walk to which you have to bypass the other resort busses (meaning that you also have very easy access to all other resorts). I think that some may agree that the decor is awful (I don't - LOL) or that the resort is generally too stark or the pool is too small, that the points charts are too high, (etc.) but the location is prime!! That's the only reason we bought into BLT...the rooms could have been decorated in black or hot pink and the pool could have been non-existent, but we still would have bought there because we are monorail people. Being walking distance to MK just adds to the overall appeal, in my opinion. Still, that's why DVC is great - - it has options that can appeal to every taste.

I don't think that *anyone* can dispute that BLT has the *best* location of all of the DVC resorts, perhaps maybe of all Disney resorts.
Sure they can. BLT is walkable to the MK. So what? BCV is walkable to Epcot - but BCV's walk is much shorter, much nicer and takes you to a better entrance.

Other than the MK, you can't walk anywhere from BLT. From BCV, you are an easy walk away from several other resorts, the Boardwalk entertainment... and a somewhat longer walk to DHS (or Fantasia Gardens).

I'd put BCV's location clearly ahead of BLT's - and I'd also put BWV's ahead. Everyone won't agree. But it just wrong to say BLT's location is indisputably the best.

Couldnt agree more .. when we stay there some day, it will be for the location/location/location. Personally I like all different themes of resorts (variety is spice of life), but the thing that kills me about BLT is all of the concrete .. (just like CR). Maybe it just timing or the pix Ive seen, but I feel like the place looks very sterile. Personally what would have been cool is one VERY large brand new common area shared between both Contemporary complexes that includes a huge themed pool, LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of palm trees/shrubs, sandy play areas for kids, and anything that people could escape to from the concrete jungle that seems like is there now. Have no idea how much it would have cost .. but I would hope this costs could be shared among the 2 Contemps. Time will tell though .. gonna need a stay there to decide.

This is the only thing that I have to disagree with you...I don't think that *anyone* can dispute that BLT has the *best* location of all of the DVC resorts, perhaps maybe of all Disney resorts. Not only is it on the monorail, but it is the closest resort to MK, to walk to which you have to bypass the other resort busses (meaning that you also have very easy access to all other resorts). I think that some may agree that the decor is awful (I don't - LOL) or that the resort is generally too stark or the pool is too small, that the points charts are too high, (etc.) but the location is prime!! That's the only reason we bought into BLT...the rooms could have been decorated in black or hot pink and the pool could have been non-existent, but we still would have bought there because we are monorail people. Being walking distance to MK just adds to the overall appeal, in my opinion. Still, that's why DVC is great - - it has options that can appeal to every taste.
I think many would disagree with you. BLT is only a prime location if you want to be close to MK and/or really like the CR, not everyone does. It's a horrible location for many. Certainly if you want to discuss the resorts that appeal to the most people BLT would be up there right now but I'm not even sure it'd be the top rated resort long term of the WDW resorts much less be everyones "best location" vote. Remember the "on the monorail" issue is really just another way of saying it's a good MK location, they are not particularly additive as the monorail doesn't add much over the location itself. It is what it is, a nice resort in a good MK location that many, but not all, have been waiting for. I'm not convinced it'll be the most in demand resort at WDW taken as the entire resort but time will tell on that one.

I don't think that *anyone* can dispute that BLT has the *best* location of all of the DVC resorts, perhaps maybe of all Disney resorts.

For a young family, like yours, I agree. MK is the destination of choice for a 5 year old. For those of us who are empty-nesters, MK may not be the destination of choice. As many have said, DVC has something for everybody. Our favorite resorts are BWV, WVL, and VB.

John

Can someone tell me if I'm correct on this :confused3 : when MK has an early closing isn't there a cut-off time for buses running to Non-Monorail Resorts?
iirc, 1 -2 hours after park closing? if yes, then it'd be bus from BLT to Downtown Disney ( or park that is open later ) & transfer to other resort bus ? - - then this is same resort-to-resort transportation scenario you'd face at any other WDW resort ( exception being staying a /visiting other Epcot Resorts)

We'll give BLT a try, don't know if we'll add-on there although for some time it was front runner for our next add-on, but we are now leaning towards AKV or SSR more. We'll see - will do a stay at BLT before committing to add-on.

I don't think I'd want to part with points needed for MK view, Bay Lake view I do like but then I don't want to be on interior of "C" so I'd probably make the frugal side of me happy and just go with standard view and see what that turns out to be and then decide after that what to try on future stay.

We love MK but as our kids get older they've come to prefer DHS, AK, Epcot, TL, BB & Epcot resorts area so while the monorail is a plus we'd still be bussing it in most cases (or driving our car :scared1:).

I don't mean to be negative, but I just can't get excited about BLT. Not the location, not the decor (although I do like those hidden Mickey's in the carpet and the art work), and not really the views.

That's what is so great about DVC - the variety of resort theming, locations, amenities and decor.

For every DVC resort, there will be a group of people that don't care for it, and another group that loves it.

Can someone tell me if I'm correct on this :confused3 : when MK has an early closing isn't there a cut-off time for buses running to Non-Monorail Resorts?
iirc, 1 -2 hours after park closing? if yes, then it'd be bus from BLT to Downtown Disney ( or park that is open later ) & transfer to other resort bus ? - - then this is same resort-to-resort transportation scenario you'd face at any other WDW resort ( exception being staying a /visiting other Epcot Resorts) .

Not sure what you are asking but it sounds like you are wondering if using the MK buses can be a risk at night to get back before the MK buses stop running? I just checked all of June and MK is open later than any park every night except wed when DHS is open an hour later.

Also need to define closing early (I'm sure its different to everyone). The earliest MK closing in June is 10PM meaning buses until at least 11PM every night. The other thing is if you do define a MK closing time as early to you-just schedule something that night that doesn't require a later MK bus return.

MK is open later every night in June than AK (usually by 5 hours or more).
MK is open later every night in June than EPCOT FW (usually by 3 hours).
MK is open later every night in June than EPCOT WS (usually 2 hours).
MK is open later every night in June than DHS except wed nights DHS is open 1hour later.

That said, it would make sense to keep the MK closing in mind if you need a bus back to MK/BLT. In June MK is open until 10PM 12 times, 11PM 3 times, Midnight 7 times, 1AM 7 times and 2AM 2 times. Add another hour minimum to these for buses and you can see theres not a lot of risk. So the buses run until midnight or later at MK in June 19 of 30 nights.

As for resorts, yes you can go directly to any WDW resort from MK/BLT until at least 11PM every night in June, but need to watch times for return trips or its a cab call.

You can check the closing times for other months well in advance for accurate planning.

I don't think it'll be as difficult to reserve as some think but on that we shall see.
Dean, as a big fan of the BLT location, who can't wait to stay there, I agree with you 100%. While the point charts aren't out of this world, they are high enough that BLT members will want to stretch their vacations by staying at one of the other well-located resorts. So once the rush is over, there will be availability, IMHO.

Sure they can. BLT is walkable to the MK. So what? BCV is walkable to Epcot - but BCV's walk is much shorter, much nicer and takes you to a better entrance.

Other than the MK, you can't walk anywhere from BLT. From BCV, you are an easy walk away from several other resorts, the Boardwalk entertainment... and a somewhat longer walk to DHS (or Fantasia Gardens).

I'd put BCV's location clearly ahead of BLT's - and I'd also put BWV's ahead. Everyone won't agree. But it just wrong to say BLT's location is indisputably the best.
As someone who loves my BWV, I would dispute this.

BLT has easy monorail access to EPCOT. From BCV you have to walk through EPCOT to get to the monorail to the MK. Big pain.

BLT has easy monorail access to all of the restaurants at the Poly and Grand Floridian, which are the nicest at WDW. BCV does not. BLT has easy bus access though the MK to every resort at WDW. BCV does not.

Of course, you are REQUIRED to use the monorail from BLT. They never finished the walk around the lake that they were going to build after they sold all those little tiles. But for someone who wants access to the most restaurants and resorts, it is really hard to say BCV has a better location.

Let me add that I'm probably going to just stick with my BWV points for the immediate future, so it's not like I am defending a purchase I've made or anything.

Dean, as a big fan of the BLT location, who can't wait to stay there, I agree with you 100%. While the point charts aren't out of this world, they are high enough that BLT members will want to stretch their vacations by staying at one of the other well-located resorts. So once the rush is over, there will be availability, IMHO.

I agree with this as well (although we will see), especially since using lower cost dues points from BLT at other resorts is an even better value.

As someone who loves my BWV, I would dispute this.

BLT has easy monorail access to EPCOT. From BCV you have to walk through EPCOT to get to the monorail to the MK. Big pain.

BLT has easy monorail access to all of the restaurants at the Poly and Grand Floridian, which are the nicest at WDW. BCV does not. BLT has easy bus access though the MK to every resort at WDW. BCV does not.

Of course, you are REQUIRED to use the monorail from BLT. They never finished the walk around the lake that they were going to build after they sold all those little tiles. But for someone who wants access to the most restaurants and resorts, it is really hard to say BCV has a better location.

Let me add that I'm probably going to just stick with my BWV points for the immediate future, so it's not like I am defending a purchase I've made or anything.

See my whole thing on the location of BLT being bad, is it seems to be from someone who doesn't like MK for example, or someone that likes BCV (close to EPCOT) better, or that jumping on the monorail in minutes to many great dining spots is irrelevant. To me, that doesn't make it bad-or not a "positive" for BLT. I plan to stay at BCV more because or the walk to EPCOT, but would never imply a resort that can walk to the most popular theme park known to mankind doesn't have a good location. When we do stay at BLT-it will be largely because of the walk to MK-theres just also a lot of gravy that comes with it for us.

What I love about DVC is the variety it offers. We tried VWL and didn't care for it but others love it. We have no interest in AKV but again others love it. We love our BWV home but some don't care for that. I'm looking forward to BLT. We were able to get a cash reservation for a MK view studio in November and I'm looking forward to being able to see the castle from my room and to walking home from MVMCP. Would we stay here often? Probably not but I'm looking forward to this trip.

We love VWL, AKV, AND BLT! :goodvibes After reading the beginning of this thread, I got the idea to change our Kidani night Dec 12 after our Magic cruise to BLT. We already have a week scheduled at Kidani for next March but rarely do we have a single night to schedule anywhere. We decided the one night in December would be perfect to try BLT, just to see what it is like. Much to my surprise, 12/12 was open for a studio with a lake view.

So, I hope I made someone happy who was waiting for a Kidani studio for 12/12 because we just switched to BLT for that night. I waitlisted for the MK view so we'll see what happens. If we get it, fine. If not, the lake view looks pretty nice, too.

We're really not interested in buying at BLT but one of the great benefits of DVC ownership is that I can try there for a night just to see what it is like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter