Is it gross?

Riles_and_Gabe said:
I just want to defend my used couches. I love them and I would have never been able to afford something as nice and as good quality if I bought them new.

The nicest couch I've ever owned I bought used for right around $100. It was white and in excellent condition and lasted me many years. Some couple had it in their basement family room but it looked brand new. Since then I've bought new couches from value city and ikea and they just do not compare lol.

I wouldn't have a problem with a used couch, would just steam clean it good.
Dh and I travel a lot and we certainly sit on many chairs/couches in hotel rooms that I know are not cleaned between guests.

There are some things that are better not thought of.

For all the people who thinks it's so gross, do you ever stay at hotels? ALL the bedding (plus mattresses) are USED!!! :eek:

Anything that is in good condition, and can be washed and dried, is a *find* for me, if it's something I can really use. OP, you found a great deal. :thumbsup2

kellia said:
No, not at all!! I mean, I know my kids have had accidents on their bedding but I re-use it after I wash it. At least you know it was washed, unlike hotels. :crazy2:

I won't buy anything that can't go in the washing machine or be Lysol'd off! But, I will admit we bought a couch and recliner off Craigslist. They are leather and were still half covered in plastic, though. I'd never buy fabric furniture. It really grossed me out because we'd had to get rid of our old couch because ds had an "accident" and flipped the cushion so we wouldn't know and it got into the wood. And when we put it to the curb, someone took it! ICK!! Another time, the dog got into a bag of chocolate and made a mess and we had to throw out a recliner and someone took that! Really ICK!!!

Oh mylanta I know what you mean. I have thrown things out like that too......and I am AMAZED at what people will take, the last time we moved, downsized and also got rid of adult kids stuff they no longer wanted we almost made a game out of it placing bets on what would be taken. I was shocked......hmmmmmm is there a reality show in this somewhere????

I don't see a big deal with it ... wash it in hot, have it dry cleaned if it has to be no biggie.

I am getting ready to put a 500 plus set up on a local resale page. I had it dry cleaned a cpl of years ago and never put it back on bed. It has been hanging in the bags in closet unused . Im hoping it sells.

I don't see a big deal with it ... wash it in hot, have it dry cleaned if it has to be no biggie.

I am getting ready to put a 500 plus set up on a local resale page. I had it dry cleaned a cpl of years ago and never put it back on bed. It has been hanging in the bags in closet unused . Im hoping it sells.

Most nice things will sale, maybe not at a price you think it should, but it will go. :goodvibes

:offtopic:
Hi, neighbor, I was born in Denham Springs, raised in Hammond. :)

Not gross, and staying in a hotel bed grosses me out every time I do it! (BTW If my hotel room has a couch or fabric chair, I get a spare sheet to put on it first no matter how nice the hotel is. :rotfl:)

Just soak the bedding overnight with a little bleach, then dry very well on high heat. It will be cleaner that most things you come in contact with.

I have to admit, I wouldn't buy a used couch, but I have a lake house and we found a mouse had gotten in and chewed some of the batting from under the couch. GROSS!!! It was a nice sofa, almost new, so I took the sofa outside, put Lysol and water into the pressure washer and SOAKED the couch in the Lysol mixture, rinsed and let it set in the sun. (It was July) I figured if it ruined it so be it, as I was not going to have it in my house after the mouse. It worked great. It didn't shrink or discolor and my couch was nice, clean, fresh and no fear of germs. So, I could see doing this with a used couch, if you steamed it first then used the power washer with Lysol.

Just two tips, don't use high pressure or it will rip the fabric and use a fresh scent Lysol as some scent will remain.

Not gross at all. A couch would be sort of gross, but I've done it. We bought a used couch last summer for our home theater. I just couldn't help it--a new couch would have been hundreds of dollars, and there was a beautiful, nearly new looking reclining couch for $35 at a garage sale. I saw the people who owned it's home, and it was far cleaner than mine usually is. No bedbugs by now means it was probably okay. I wondered why it (and everything ) was so cheap, and they said their youngest was off to college and they just wanted stuff gone without any hassle. I got a sweet freezer from them too for $50.

I guess it's good for people like us who think some things are gross, otherwise our landfills would be even bigger.

I have sold several practically perfect couches, furniture pieces that would have been crazy to throw away. I once left a couch and love seat set by our garbage before we moved- and let me tell you it was so sad to part with something that costs thousands of dollars. But we ran out of room in the moving truck and were out of time.

I haven't purchased used bedding, but have been given a complete bedding set from Macy's by an aunt. I wish I still had the set because it was a fantastic one.

Every post which mentions "Don't they ever stay in hotels?" reminds me of my coworker. She's so much of a germaphobe that she sprays the hotel bed sheets with Lysol whenever she travels. She said that she does that because whenever she comes back from vacation, she always has a sore throat, which she thinks is an infection. I've told her that the irritation could be caused by all the cleaning chemicals that she uses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter