Is concierge worth the extra $?

JoshF

Mouseketeer
I'm booking a 3 night Halloween on the High Seas cruise next October. Going with my SO and DS(6). I want a room with a Verandah that's 304 Sq Ft. The price difference between the Category 4A and the Concierge room category V is about $800. Trying to decide if this is worth it. I would love to hear some opinions on this.

To us it comes down to do we want a cabana on Castaway Cay. We already board early being platinum so for us the perks to justify the cost really isn't there with the exception of the cabana. The cabana is the game changer for us.

The most common response is that it is all relative. For some the extra cost is exorbitant and not even a consideration. For others it is immaterial and a no brainer. For some it is still a stretch but worth the money. For our family it is absolutely worth it. Once you sail concierge it would be very hard to not be concierge on future cruises. The big caveat is that no one knows what cruising will be like due to covid. So no way to know if the new concierge experience will be as good as the pre-covid experience.

We (me, DH, DS) had one trip non-concierge and our upcoming Alaska is not. I decided to do it for our HOTHS that was cancelled this fall, and we're going to do if for the make up HOTHS next fall (it will be me, DS, my dad and his gf). I think it is a lot of money, no doubt. But, for a variety of personal reasons, including the fact that it will be the first vacation with my dad in 20+ years (and he still works full time at a very physical job every day and he'll be 70 in another year or so), it is worth it for me to be able to treat him.

To us it comes down to do we want a cabana on Castaway Cay. We already board early being platinum so for us the perks to justify the cost really isn't there with the exception of the cabana. The cabana is the game changer for us.

Agreed! The cabana is the #1 reason to go concierge! If you want to get one, you pretty much have to be concierge, or a very lucky platinum cruiser. Aside from the appeal of the cabana, I just think the service can't be beat. From the minute you arrive at the terminal, you start enjoying perks - boarding early, private waiting area - and then you are whisked away to the concierge lounge (or now, a concierge lunch) to review your itinerary with a concierge host. The hosts are readily available and eager to help the whole time. And, they are great with the kids! The hosts were always laughing and joking with DD and one of them played Uno with her for close to an hour, just on a whim :)

Plus, if you are planning on spending any of your $$ on alcohol while on board, you can partake in the 5 hour happy hour in the lounge - a nice little perk if you are like me and DH and like to enjoy a cocktail ... or two or three :)

The other thing I liked about concierge was how close the lounge was....DD was able to bop over there in the morning and grab a pastry or some fruit from the little buffet they have set up every morning. She loved the independence and we loved knowing that she was just a few doors down and would be back any minute. I think you said DS is 6...so he might be a bit young for that but still being able to grab a light breakfast or lunch in the lounge and then getting back to enjoying your day is a huge selling point for me.

So, yes, I think concierge is worth it...but like others have said, its definitely a personal decision in the end!

For us it was definitely not. We liked our room, but other than printing our boarding passes once, we didn't ask anything of the hosts the two times we sailed Concierge. We also have never had that level of service before so maybe we didn't know how to take advantage of it either. The most interaction we had with the hosts was just sitting and chatting about their lives and random stuff when others weren't in the lounge. So for our family it wasn't worth the money even though we had a great time both trips. Also back in the day, 2014 a Cat V on the Fantasy was going for like 4500 for 2 people. In 2015 it more than doubled which also helped make up our minds.

For us, it definitely is on the Fantasy/Dream because they are so large and the level of relaxation on the 12th floor far and away from the maddening crowd is worth every penny. DH and I are introverts so although we like to cruise, the hoards of people in some places just isn't very vacation like. The lounge, CL level hot tub, all I can drink cans of diet coke and guaranteed solo table lend to a much more relaxing, pleasant experience.

For us, it definitely is on the Fantasy/Dream because they are so large and the level of relaxation on the 12th floor far and away from the maddening crowd is worth every penny. DH and I are introverts so although we like to cruise, the hoards of people in some places just isn't very vacation like. The lounge, CL level hot tub, all I can drink cans of diet coke and guaranteed solo table lend to a much more relaxing, pleasant experience.
I've often considered upgrading to concierge for the very reason you mentioned about being away from the crowd. However, please explain about the "guaranteed solo table". What is that? Thanks!

Totally agree on this. First time we cruised we chose Concierge bc the price differential was minimal. Well, then we were done :) Have done it each time since particularly for the quoted reasons below. Have heard so many people say Disney cruises are crowded and we have gone during major holidays and thought "really?" You really are insulated in Concierge. Totally different experience. As others mentioned, it also pretty much guarantees us the cabana at Castaway Cay which is very important to us. Love having the lounge right there. We rarely go out for breakfast or lunch bc of the offerings there.

But I am not sure I would do it on Wonder and Magic. Lounge was an afterthought so not right near the rooms. For us the lounge is so helpful. Of course, still gets you first in line for a cabana!

We just booked an Oct 3 nighter as well for 2021. Who knows what concierge lounge and services will be in late 2021. Once cruising resumes (maybe early 2021?) will see how things are going and decide before our PIF date to move to 2022 or not.

Totally agree on this. First time we cruised we chose Concierge bc the price differential was minimal. Well, then we were done :) Have done it each time since particularly for the quoted reasons below. Have heard so many people say Disney cruises are crowded and we have gone during major holidays and thought "really?" You really are insulated in Concierge. Totally different experience. As others mentioned, it also pretty much guarantees us the cabana at Castaway Cay which is very important to us. Love having the lounge right there. We rarely go out for breakfast or lunch bc of the offerings there.

But I am not sure I would do it on Wonder and Magic. Lounge was an afterthought so not right near the rooms. For us the lounge is so helpful. Of course, still gets you first in line for a cabana!

We just booked an Oct 3 nighter as well for 2021. Who knows what concierge lounge and services will be in late 2021. Once cruising resumes (maybe early 2021?) will see how things are going and decide before our PIF date to move to 2022 or not.
How much are cabanas on Castaway?

I'm booking a 3 night Halloween on the High Seas cruise next October. Going with my SO and DS(6). I want a room with a Verandah that's 304 Sq Ft. The price difference between the Category 4A and the Concierge room category V is about $800. Trying to decide if this is worth it. I would love to hear some opinions on this.

It's a steal for $800.

tink1970 means in the dining room. You have a private table by default.

This has me thinking its going to be a year or two before they start looking to have people share tables. Are they going to need to redo the dining rooms at some point then with a new layout? Possibly go to 3 dining times? Or possibly just have reduced capacity until its no longer an issue?

How much are cabanas on Castaway?

Family Cabana
$670.88 (Sept. 25 - March 17, up to 6 Guests)
$726.88 (March 18 - Sept. 24, up to 6 Guests)
$56.00 (each additional Guest, up to 10)

Serenity Bay Cabana
$428.93 (up to 4 Guests)
$56.00 (each additional Guest, up to 10)

The Concierge Perks are nice when on a DCL ship compared to the basic service BUT IMO are not COST EFFECTIVE when comparing what one gets for lesser cost on other lines. Unless there is a drastic reduction in pricing (not gonna happen) OR a tremendous increase in PERKS received (not gonna happen), our DCL Concierge cruising is over.

Oh wow! That's really cool. Thanks for the clarification.

We were on the fantasy for our first cruise last year in December and just went the first day to the dining changes area and they got us a solo table without issue. Sounds like its fairly common on the Fantasy to be able to get one but can't say for certain as that is our only time hahaha. I did do research before hand and my mind was at ease that we likely would get it. Probably is harder on sold out cruises though (ours was not).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter