Is a split stay worth it?

We just got back from a split stay, with 5 nights at PORS and the last 2 at Contemporary. It was worth it to us simply because we saved our MK days for the days we would be at Contemporary (which happened to be the nights o the last Wishes and the first Happily Ever After).

We liked the split stay, but I think a lot of that had to do with our situation. I'm not sure we would have felt the same if the circumstances were different.

a) we had our own car. So all we had to do was throw our suitcases in our car and go.
b) we moved in to the resort that is mere steps away from MK. So when we got ready for our mid-day break, we walked back to our resort, pulled our suitcases out and were ready to swim. No check in needed. No drive or bus to the resort. It was almost effortless.
c) The contrasting styles of the resorts really enhanced the "two separate vacations" feel. We went from the slow and leisure style of the bayou at PORS to modern (and still leisure) style of the CR.

At the end of the trip, though, I can say that we really enjoyed both legs of our trip and were glad we stayed in both resorts.

Sharka- your memory maker is paired with your MDE account, as are your rooms and park tickets. So you only buy that one memory maker.

I am planning a split stay, 6 nights at AoA followed by 3 nights at the Poly. I do not plan to do a DDP. I have purchased an 8 day ticket bundle (not planning on being at the parks one the first or last day). I have two questions that I cannot find clearly answered anywhere...

1 - Can I book dining reservations during my stay at the Poly, 180 days from the start of my stay at AoA?
2 - Can I book my fast passes during my stay at the Poly, 60 days from the start of my stay at AoA?

Thank you for any help your experience can offer me. This is my first time planning my own trip to WDW and my first time posting on the DISBoards.

Side note - if you happen to know if all family members travelling need to purchase the refillable mug (if we choose to do this), or if only my coffee loving husband can (we can live off the free water), can you please let me know the answer?

1 - Can I book dining reservations during my stay at the Poly, 180 days from the start of my stay at AoA?
2 - Can I book my fast passes during my stay at the Poly, 60 days from the start of my stay at AoA?

Speaking from personal anecdote:
1- short answer, YES, but you need to call. the online dining reservation system does not recognize the split stay for some reason. this just happened to me a few nights (well, early mornings) ago.
2- I've heard the issue with ADRs/split stays above does not happen with FastPass+, so you should be able to book them for your entire trip starting with the 60 day mark before you check in at AoA. I'm not at my 60 day mark yet so can't verify, but I'm sure someone else will have experience and answer!

We have done split stays in the past - just wanted to add that I think you should do the Value or Moderate first, then move to the deluxe, or your favorite resort second. We kind of did it backwards one time, and we felt the downgrade. We started at Beach Club (grandma was with us that trip - I thought by day 4 she would want her own space, so we moved to POR and got 2 rooms). We were so spoiled by BC, and although POR was awesome, it was a downgrade. Did it ruin our vacation, of course not! But I wish I would have done it the other way around :)

I'm doing a split stay in June. I'm curious, if go to the park instead of straight to check in, will our meal plan be activated? We don't have a meal plan for the first half of the trip, just the second half.

On our honeymoon we did a split stay of 4 nights each - WL, BCv and AKV. Mostly because I couldn't decide where I wanted to stay the most!

I'm not sure I would have done that with kids though. We will be going with kids next time and I really love WL and AKL and want to stay at both but I'm edging towards WL because of proximity to MK. But we love love love the theming and food choices at AKL. We are also going to do a 4 night cruise and I'm considering going back to WDW after and staying at AKL for a resort only stay before heading home instead.

Memory maker doesn't have anything to do with your resort or lack there of, so no you don't need two
Awesome! I'm doing a half and half Resort and wanted to make sure my memory maker would work all week even though we are checking out of one resort and into another halfway.

OK now i have to try this we always go to OKW and spend our 6 days there i really like it there but we have always wanted to try a different resort and i didnt have any idea that you could do that. great information all thank you

Well I am going to be the only one to say that I do not like split stays. We like to empty our suitcases and organize the bathroom. I just don't like having to pack it all up until we are leaving - seems to take too much time away from the parks or just relaxing. I am forced to do one this coming trip as we were unable to get our whole time in one place. I have already warned my family to not completely unpack at the first hotel.

But in your situation I may say go ahead and do it so that you will have the opportunity to enjoy the AKL. I am sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide.

Would it be worth the effort to do a split stay? It can be worth it if you enjoy new surroundings and it's exciting to try different resorts or has always been on your bucket list.

We like to feel settled, and I'm not sure if we'd want to pack up and send our bags away. How long would you need to be worth it to do a split stay? Our stays are usually 6-7 total at Disney World. But if you like to be settled, then maybe it may not be something you want to do. We split the stay last time right in the middle.

Is this a huge pain? No, extremely easy. I think the only "hard" part is deciding which day to do the split, and if any of your ADR or park plans will have an impact somehow.

We have a split stay coming up in a few weeks. In short, yes, I'd say it is worth it, for us. We like to experience new places. The process is easy on the split day, just pack up and have your bags held or ask them to be moved. What was on our mind for the day we are switching out is getting the bus back from the TTC back to the hotel, to be able to get the rental car back in time, because we are turning in our rental that day of the hotel change yet also going to MK in the morning. The day prior, we are driving out to the Space Coast and going to Kennedy, etc., thus have a rental. Also, what we are thinking about for the day we split where we'll eat for lunch and dinner that day, based on where exactly will we be at a certain time! But the process itself of changing hotels is extremely easy.

Jumping on this thread! How does a split stay work with a memory maker? Would I need two?

Are you staying back-to-back, or somehow have separate admissions due to timeframes of your trip? I can't imagine you would need two, it's just linked with your MDE account. Anyone else can chime in though if they've experienced otherwise.

We had no issues purchasing Memory Maker and being at two different resorts last time. Plan on doing it again this time.

In my honest opinion, no way I would intentionally endure a split stay. If I were having problems getting accommodations and I felt I could not change dates, then as a last resort, I would entertain a split stay with hopes of getting all nights in one room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter