Is 150 Points Enough?

Like @macman123 said, it really does become an addiction. We started with 210 BLT resale pts in 2016 and have added contracts at Copper Creek, Animal Kingdom and Polynesian so that we can take friends and family to wherever they want to go. Like others have said, 150 is a really good place to start but 200ish may be even better so you grab a 1BR once in a while and bring a guest or 2.

I think 150 for studios for a solo traveler is a great contract. We were a family of 4 that wanted studios and started with 100 resale points. The contract was loaded so we had extras and I’m glad we did because we found out 100 wasn’t enough for the resorts that we wanted. We paid that off and then added on after.

I wouldn’t buy a random number of points. I’d sit down and figure out how I want to use them for the first 3 years them work out the average annual point need from that and I’d buy 10 to 20 percent over that to give some flexibility

I think 150 is fine to start. You don't want to buy large contracts that are hard to unload even at a cheaper sale price. Add on slowly when you assess your needs. Best advice is to buy smaller add on contracts that are at same home resort with same use year to make planning easier. I started small and now have 800 points mostly at boardwalk except for a tiny add on at AKV that i rarely use there. Even with 800 points i find it was never enough with the 50% borrowing rule in place. If you like Food and wine festival then getting a small contract at BWV or BC makes sense because it is very hard to get anything oct-late dec. Buy where you love not just cheapest options. Overtime you will hate the waitlist game

I started with 25 OKW resale in 2011 (because I wanted a member account in order to manage my own reservations, and that is what I could afford at the time as a single Mom of 3) and added 50 Poly direct when that opened (again, because I could afford that). 3 years ago, I sold the OKW (at a profit). I have gotten transfer points several times (usually when I wanted to stay somewhere else and have 11 month advantage). I've loved having the AP discount when that exists (have an unused Gold voucher hanging out still) and am grandfathered in on blue card. This works for me because I can sometimes do 5-11 months reservations, but I often end up being more last minute than that (when I wouldn't be able to use my points anyway because nothing is available), so I'm not left stewing over unused points. I would suggest really looking at what you plan to do, sketch out what you think you'll enjoy and has the value you want to get out of it. I've thought several times about adding boardwalk points, but can't justify the cost with the 2042 expiration.

We've had a mere 150 points for years for our family of four - and have stayed in two bedrooms - we own at a 2042 resort with its lower point structure and that stretched 150 points, and go a low point times of year, and only do WDW every other year at most - I like to travel to lots of places and with limited time to travel, a lot of points can be more restrictive than freeing.

So I thought 150 points would be enough for 1 family trip a year and one girls trip a year. It is not. I now want a solo trip in there too and I don’t just want to stay at my home resort. I want to try all the places but 150 points isn’t enough to do that. I’d buy 50 more than you think you need. Wish I had done that. Lol
We bought 200, have 300 extra points to use and know already we will buy more. Those one bedrooms calling my name. Resale though.

I shall echo those wise Dis folks who have gone before me: you’ve followed advice #1 by purchasing where you want to stay, now follow advice #2 by buying what you can afford. If it’s not enough there is more than enough opportunity to buy more, but for right now, be it 150, be it 400, buy what you can afford.

Your question is a great one. Personally, I think I over-analyzed my first purchase... but could never get past one condition ... Don't buy more than the minimum direct for the blue card. That puts you at 150.

There are volumes of posts on the direct vs resale conversation ... I'm stingy, so put a lot of weight on $$.

Your question is a great one. Personally, I think I over-analyzed my first purchase... but could never get past one condition ... Don't buy more than the minimum direct for the blue card. That puts you at 150.

There are volumes of posts on the direct vs resale conversation ... I'm stingy, so put a lot of weight on $$.
This right here. First contract was 150 direct at SSR to lock in Blue Card. Second was 150 at BRV, resale. Added a 25-point direct contract at BRV, just to have a little direct points buffer, and then 2 more BRV resales (50 and 75 respectively).

If someone wants points that are good at RIV and future resorts, buying resale doesn’t work..well unless you want to deal with renting, cash stays, etc.

Now, if one doesn’t care about being locked out if what is to come..which very well could be new Epcot area resorts in 2042..then resale can make sense.

But, depending how many extra points you want..once you commit to 150.. just getting the extra direct isn’t going to be that much more.

For example, if someone wants 200….finding a 50 point resale contract won’t be easy and the difference would be minimal so at that point just buying all direct makes perfect sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter