Is 12 nights too long?

Coming from the UK, we wished we'd had more time than the 14 nights we had! That being said, we did all Universal parks / Volcano Bay / Discovery Cove / Kennedy Space Centre as well as Disney. Plus we had a couple of rest days or shopping days.

We did a 14 day with Universal and WDW last year and I was a bit worn out at the end. Wish we had added more rest days but is was great doing all the parks and experiencing Volcano Bay which we really loved.

10 days and staying onsite seems to be the sweet spot for our family.

We like to stay 10-12 nights, as taking it easy becomes more and more important.

Taking breaks is essential to us, so we like to take our time.

So we're planning a 12 night trip for June 2022 (yeah, I like to plan ahead! But part of it is we need to save up for a trip this big). And while I've dreamed of a long WDW trip in the past, now that it's looking possible, I'm starting to wonder if on day 9 or 10 everyone will be like "well this is fun and all, but I kinda want to go home now".

The general idea is to have two park days then a non-park day. Over the course of the trip, it will be 3 days MK, 2 days each Epcot and AK, and 1 or 1.5 days at DS.

So I'm looking for advice from anyone that's done more than 10 days. It's me, DH and DD who will be 10 on the trip. This is the rough schedule I have so far.

• Sunday - Day 1 - Arrive at Poly about 2ish. Swim until room is ready, unpack, change, dinner at Kona, early bedtime.
  • Monday - Day 2 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Tuesday - Day 3- Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Wednesday - Day 4- Pool day at resort, rent patio cabana at Poly. Evening open for resort activity or maybe Disney Springs
  • Thursday - Day 5 - Rope drop Epcot until lunch, afternoon break, Epcot in evening (will only tour FW this day)
  • Friday - Day 6 - Sleep in, get to Epcot about 11 to tour WS, stay until close to watch evening show (whatever is replacing Illuminations).
  • Saturday - Day 7 - Resort hop to either BWV or BCV (haven't decided yet, renting DVC points so likely it will come down to what's available). I was originally thinking of dropping our bags to be transferred then heading to a water park for the day, then returning to the new hotel to check in and change, then dinner. But turns out that DD has a fear of water slides, so depending on her feelings 3 years from now, we may skip the water park. So I'm open to suggestions on what non-theme parks things we can do on a resort hop day (we want this day to be a non park day).
  • Sunday - Day 8 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Monday - Day 9 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Tuesday - Day 10 - Pool day at resort, evening will either be free for a resort activity OR I'm kicking around the idea of doing an evening at DS, as we'll otherwise only have one full day at DS and I'm not sure if that will be enough time there. We'll have seen SWGE at DLR in 2020 so I'm not sure how much of a time suck that will be for us.
  • Wednesday - Day 11 - Rope drop DS until lunch, afternoon break, DS in evening
  • Thursday - Day 12 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in evening with desert party for fireworks.
  • Friday - Day 13 - Check out and go home.
Is this too much of a good thing? I've built in plenty of down time, other than rope dropping most mornings the idea is to not go commando mode. Part of the idea of such a long trip is that we'll have time to stop and smell the roses. So I don't think the trip is too intense, I've just never been on such a long trip before to a single destination.

No 12 days isn't to long.

There are a few things that I would change up.. I am a local and AP holder... and things you might want to add into the trip, just some food for thought.

1) I would break up the parks, Like MK in the morning, and DHS in the evening, by changing it up,... park hoppers for sure for a trip this long - As well water park tickets, alot can change in 3 years. So planning for Tickets with park hopper and water park, is easier now when you have time to save for the trip, and an then you have room to adjust once it gets closer to your visit...

2) I would plan some sleep in mornings, then pool time, nap, and then hit the parks till close. Especially if you have middle school and high school aged kids.

3) Dare I say you could go to Universal, super easy you can take Uber over there and make it a whole day check out both parks, lots of options you could get a 2 park one day pass, and then add skip the line, so you hit the all the main rides... Our friend come every couple of years, and this is what they do... They like to see whats new, and ride old favorites, and then have dinner at some where at City Walk... then they have sleep in and pool day the next day...

4) We have some pretty good shopping options, 2 Outlet malls, as well as the Mall of Millennia... use Uber is a good method to move around...

5) There are smaller theme parks such as Lego Land, and Gatorland which might be fun depending on the age of your kids. You might want to rent a car for the day if you head over to Lego Land

6) You could head over to Cape Canaveral to the Space Museum, or to Cocoa Beach for the day... Car Rental for sure....

Alot can happen in 2+ years, so keep a open mind... and Happy Planning...

So we're planning a 12 night trip for June 2022 (yeah, I like to plan ahead! But part of it is we need to save up for a trip this big). And while I've dreamed of a long WDW trip in the past, now that it's looking possible, I'm starting to wonder if on day 9 or 10 everyone will be like "well this is fun and all, but I kinda want to go home now".

The general idea is to have two park days then a non-park day. Over the course of the trip, it will be 3 days MK, 2 days each Epcot and AK, and 1 or 1.5 days at DS.

So I'm looking for advice from anyone that's done more than 10 days. It's me, DH and DD who will be 10 on the trip. This is the rough schedule I have so far.

• Sunday - Day 1 - Arrive at Poly about 2ish. Swim until room is ready, unpack, change, dinner at Kona, early bedtime.
  • Monday - Day 2 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Tuesday - Day 3- Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Wednesday - Day 4- Pool day at resort, rent patio cabana at Poly. Evening open for resort activity or maybe Disney Springs
  • Thursday - Day 5 - Rope drop Epcot until lunch, afternoon break, Epcot in evening (will only tour FW this day)
  • Friday - Day 6 - Sleep in, get to Epcot about 11 to tour WS, stay until close to watch evening show (whatever is replacing Illuminations).
  • Saturday - Day 7 - Resort hop to either BWV or BCV (haven't decided yet, renting DVC points so likely it will come down to what's available). I was originally thinking of dropping our bags to be transferred then heading to a water park for the day, then returning to the new hotel to check in and change, then dinner. But turns out that DD has a fear of water slides, so depending on her feelings 3 years from now, we may skip the water park. So I'm open to suggestions on what non-theme parks things we can do on a resort hop day (we want this day to be a non park day).
  • Sunday - Day 8 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Monday - Day 9 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Tuesday - Day 10 - Pool day at resort, evening will either be free for a resort activity OR I'm kicking around the idea of doing an evening at DS, as we'll otherwise only have one full day at DS and I'm not sure if that will be enough time there. We'll have seen SWGE at DLR in 2020 so I'm not sure how much of a time suck that will be for us.
  • Wednesday - Day 11 - Rope drop DS until lunch, afternoon break, DS in evening
  • Thursday - Day 12 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in evening with desert party for fireworks.
  • Friday - Day 13 - Check out and go home.
Is this too much of a good thing? I've built in plenty of down time, other than rope dropping most mornings the idea is to not go commando mode. Part of the idea of such a long trip is that we'll have time to stop and smell the roses. So I don't think the trip is too intense, I've just never been on such a long trip before to a single destination.

Never plan this much, you never know what'll happen to scupper your plans on any particular day.

In fact, I went for 4 weeks in October and had such an amazing time that we are doing another 4 weeks next year. ... we did not leave property the entire time.

My dream retirement life. Right there. We’re slowly adding DVC points now to be ready for it 🥰🤩

To the OP, I don’t have any firsthand experience with the length of your stay- but I do know that a week is definitely not long enough!!! 😆 12 nights sounds spectacular! Enjoy 🥳

My dream retirement life. Right there. We’re slowly adding DVC points now to be ready for it 🥰🤩

To the OP, I don’t have any firsthand experience with the length of your stay- but I do know that a week is definitely not long enough!!! 😆 12 nights sounds spectacular! Enjoy 🥳
We had a 7 day trip planned and I have added a day to each end because I just felt that 7 days wasn't enough. I'm still wishing I could afford to add at least a couple more days on. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter