Irrational fears at Disneyland

Lebestiole

Mouseketeer
Do any of you have irrational fears when you go to Disneyland?

I have a few, and some of them make me feel silly sometimes. For example, I'm terrified of riding the Disneyland Railroad. The train itself is beautiful, but I always have to sit in the center because I'm terrified of finding a wild animal in the woods, and the dinosaur stops scare the ***** out of me. Even the indian tribe terrifies me. I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the train and wait for a CM to get me while I wait beside the figures/animatronics. *shudders*

I also can't stand the Jungle Cruise. I always ride it because it's a classic. But again, I have to sit in the middle of the boat, never on the edge. I feel like I could fall into the water and my feet would tangle in the cables that move the animatronics, and that water is just creepy.

I guess the animatronics just freak me out a bit. Having to be close to one of those would be a nightmare to me.

What about you? Am I alone in this? D:

Snakes. Indiana Jones is really, really stressful and that one bit at the beginning I close my eyes until my husband tells me it's over.

I used to be terrified riding Adventure Through Inner Space, although I was a kid. I could have sworn that I saw real people in the shrink ray and that they were actually getting smaller. By the time I was 12 I realized that it was just a series of figures that were all the same size.

Two things: Earthquakes and guns.

For some reason it will occasionally pop into my head "what if there was an earthquake right now". Bit of an irrational thought as the odds are so astronomical of it occurring. Still not the place you want to be while riding through Star Tours.

As for the guns, given that I am from north of the border, I am not used to the idea of anyone being armed whether visibly or hidden. Before my last trip I remember reading about people who were attempting to "open carry" in as many places as possible and it made me investigate the laws about being armed in disneyland.

I refuse to ride the swings. I'm not afraid that I'm going to go flying off, but that my swing will get tangled with another swing and then will slam into the center.

Mine is at DCA. Mickey's Fun Wheel (I think that is what it is called) terrifies me. I can't do the moving car on the stantionary ones. I feel like one of the moving cars is going to somehow slip of the track and fall off or go so fast that i spins you a complete 360. I know it is next to impossible but when you have a rowdy group forcing theirs to sway above you it can be frightening.

For some reason it will occasionally pop into my head "what if there was an earthquake right now". Bit of an irrational thought as the odds are so astronomical of it occurring. Still not the place you want to be while riding through Star Tours.

As for the guns, given that I am from north of the border, I am not used to the idea of anyone being armed whether visibly or hidden. Before my last trip I remember reading about people who were attempting to "open carry" in as many places as possible and it made me investigate the laws about being armed in disneyland.

Disney doesn't allow any weapons carried by guests in any of their theme parks. It's a private business and as such can allow or disallow weapons. For the most part they don't even want uniformed police inside the parks, although I suspect there are plain clothes police patrolling. However, recently I saw a few uniformed Anaheim Police officers stationed near the bag check.

Disneyland does have one place where employees have access to a real gun. It's on the Jungle Cruise, and these days the gun seems to be tethered to each boat. I recall in the past they were just sitting in a holster, and I heard that they had a strict procedure for checking each one out and back in.

California does not have one of the most restrictive public open and concealed carry policies in the US. It used to be possible to open carry an unloaded weapon (the ammunition could be stored separately and legally loaded in case of a threat) on the street, but the law was changed after some carry proponents started making a big show of doing this as many places as they could. One would need to have a security guard or concealed carry permit to do so now in a city. Unincorporated areas are another matter.

I'm just a bit curious, but I do recall seeing armed police when visiting Canada. Even the very nice and polite border guard was wearing body armor and carrying a sidearm.

Disney doesn't allow any weapons carried by guests in any of their theme parks. It's a private business and as such can allow or disallow weapons. For the most part they don't even want uniformed police inside the parks, although I suspect there are plain clothes police patrolling. However, recently I saw a few uniformed Anaheim Police officers stationed near the bag check.

Disneyland does have one place where employees have access to a real gun. It's on the Jungle Cruise, and these days the gun seems to be tethered to each boat. I recall in the past they were just sitting in a holster, and I heard that they had a strict procedure for checking each one out and back in.

California does not have one of the most restrictive public open and concealed carry policies in the US. It used to be possible to open carry an unloaded weapon (the ammunition could be stored separately and legally loaded in case of a threat) on the street, but the law was changed after some carry proponents started making a big show of doing this as many places as they could. One would need to have a security guard or concealed carry permit to do so now in a city. Unincorporated areas are another matter.

I'm just a bit curious, but I do recall seeing armed police when visiting Canada. Even the very nice and polite border guard was wearing body armor and carrying a sidearm.

Is the gun on Jungle Cruise real any more? Pretty sure it was a prop cap gun last time I saw it in use.

Although Disney does not allow guns sadly one has made it through the security check at DL before. It was last summer (maybe longer now) that a man was caught with a gun in the entry plaza between DCA and DL. There are also just crazies who could do whatever. Sadly with the way our country is going I don't think a fear of someone with a gun is irrational any more.

I used to be terrified riding Adventure Through Inner Space, although I was a kid. I could have sworn that I saw real people in the shrink ray and that they were actually getting smaller. By the time I was 12 I realized that it was just a series of figures that were all the same size.

That was my favorite ride as kid! I used to call it "The Eyeball Ride"!

Actually, the odds of an earthquake occurring are not astronomical. I often have the thought pop up in my daily life, "This would be a bad time for an earthquake". And one time, we were at Disneyland when it happened. We were buying APs where the gallery is now. They sent everybody out to Main Street for a few minutes. Then after a few minutes we were allowed back in. However, most rides were shut down for the day as they did inspections. Earthquakes in CA are quite common and many are tiny.

Actually, the odds of an earthquake occurring are not astronomical. I often have the thought pop up in my daily life, "This would be a bad time for an earthquake". And one time, we were at Disneyland when it happened. We were buying APs where the gallery is now. They sent everybody out to Main Street for a few minutes. Then after a few minutes we were allowed back in. However, most rides were shut down for the day as they did inspections. Earthquakes in CA are quite common and many are tiny.

The odds are actually relatively small that I would be on a specific ride at a dangerous moment while it would happen and that was what I was trying to say. It isn't odd to be in an earthquake given our place on earth.

Is the gun on Jungle Cruise real any more? Pretty sure it was a prop cap gun last time I saw it in use.

Should be a real gun. I heard a real Smith & Wesson revolver using blanks. I understand they got tethered after a few were stolen by visitors. They were definitely modified for tethering, with a hole drilled into the frame and custom grips. They use a pretty light blank for the usual shots at the hippo. I understand they carry louder blanks when they need to report a boat breakdown. Our "guide" specifically told us to cover our ears.

Although Disney does not allow guns sadly one has made it through the security check at DL before. It was last summer (maybe longer now) that a man was caught with a gun in the entry plaza between DCA and DL. There are also just crazies who could do whatever. Sadly with the way our country is going I don't think a fear of someone with a gun is irrational any more.
A LOT of guns have made it through security check. They were carried by responsible people though not whackos. I have the inverse irrational fear. Travelling to Disneyland and being UNARMED. When seconds count, the police are only 5-15 minutes away.

Regarding your last point, yes police officers are armed in Canada and some do wear body armour. I never fret at them being armed. My concern came down to someone having a gun in disneyland and it being improperly used.

Should be a real gun. I heard a real Smith & Wesson revolver using blanks. I understand they got tethered after a few were stolen by visitors. They were definitely modified for tethering, with a hole drilled into the frame and custom grips. They use a pretty light blank for the usual shots at the hippo. I understand they carry louder blanks when they need to report a boat breakdown. Our "guide" specifically told us to cover our ears.
They use custom cylinders with the inside diameter is machined as such that a 38 cartridge which has a seated projectile in it cannot be chambered. Only blank crimped rounds can be chambered

A LOT of guns have made it through security check. They were carried by responsible people though not whackos. I have the inverse irrational fear. Travelling to Disneyland and being UNARMED. When seconds count, the police are only 5-15 minutes away.

That is the thought that adds to the problem. I'll take my points for political but the rules are no guns. Doesn't matter if you are a responsible person or a whacko. A true honest concelled hand gun permit owner would not willingly disobay the posted rules of an establishment. They would respect the private property. At least that's what I was taught as a responsible gun owner.

What scares me the most is when someone in line behind me coughs. I get worried that I will become infected with something and I cannot understand why they don't attempt to cover their mouths.

I'm right there with you.

Whenever I ride Tower of Terror, I worry about earthquakes.

Whenever I ride Tower of Terror, I worry about earthquakes.

Last year I went through a four hour tour of a cave in my local area. It was a tour with only four people (all in my family) and it was through a natural cave (no man made structures throughout it). Just as we are at about to go into a part of the cave where you need to lay on your chest and squeeze yourself through a portion of the cave no bigger then your body, my brother in law says "What if there was an earthquake right now?" I damn nearly killed him.

That is the thought that adds to the problem. I'll take my points for political but the rules are no guns. Doesn't matter if you are a responsible person or a whacko. A true honest concelled hand gun permit owner would not willingly disobay the posted rules of an establishment. They would respect the private property. At least that's what I was taught as a responsible gun owner.
Personal property rights cannot override constitutionally protected rights. That will be my last post on this particular subject as it could very easily go political.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter