Iphones and international roaming

Slightly OT but got the new iphone today :cool1:. Love it so far, no problems with calls dropping out and I can't get it to lose signal by holding it on the bottom left.

Which network?
The reason it was so dramatic in the US is because everything gets blown out of proportion in the US...
But also because you can only use it on AT&T....which is a very unreliable service.

Which network?
The reason it was so dramatic in the US is because everything gets blown out of proportion in the US...
But also because you can only use it on AT&T....which is a very unreliable service.

I'm with Telstra. They were not giving away the cover things either as they said in the media. But I really don't need it, I have been chatting all afternoon and I have been trying to get the bars to drop and I just can't do it. It is SO clear, I didn't ever think my 3GS wasn't clear, but the new one is SO clear, I keep going from computer to phone (lots of sms's coming through :rotfl: ) and the phone is much clearer than my computer.

I sort of figured that they sold well over a million of these phones already and there have not been that many with problems. And if some of those people with problems are in areas where the coverage is poor then it will drop out Iphone4 or not.

Anyway I'm happy with my new toy :banana:

I'm with Telstra. They were not giving away the cover things either as they said in the media. But I really don't need it, I have been chatting all afternoon and I have been trying to get the bars to drop and I just can't do it. It is SO clear, I didn't ever think my 3GS wasn't clear, but the new one is SO clear, I keep going from computer to phone (lots of sms's coming through :rotfl: ) and the phone is much clearer than my computer.

I sort of figured that they sold well over a million of these phones already and there have not been that many with problems. And if some of those people with problems are in areas where the coverage is poor then it will drop out Iphone4 or not.

You all still good with your new toy? :yay:
Hope so...

Soo tempting. My current iPhone 3G plan runs until the end of December but we can do a family switcheroo. Just waiting till the subsidised plan we can access comes out to see if it is worth it :upsidedow

Have you tried out the camera and video? Is it good?

[I know we are getting slightly off topic but hey...its a new toy!!! :flower3: ]

ETA - regarding the iBump...That's weird. I would ring Apple and check about that.
You should still get it even if you don't use it. I would suggest going to the Apple Store, but I don't think you have one?
(we have three...hehe)
I'm hoping Powersupport will come out with a case.
I have this for my iphone 3G and it is FANTASTIC. Nice grip with hardly any extra size.
Not sure if the new shape will allow for it though.

Has anyone tried the TravelSim? They can be purchased from Australia Post, are completely prepaid and you just pop them into your existing phone.

We tried a different international company last time, can't remember the name but when we put the sims in we couldn't get the phones to activate and work.

Ooooooh so jealous of your new iPhone - they royally screwed up the release here and there were not enough - some stores didn't stock them at all, others had only 20 or so.

Interesting thread, I want to take my iPhone to the States (although at this rate I'll be there before I get the bl**dy phone :grin:) and the idea of a prepaid SIM sounds great.

I'm also keen to hear if any data was used on the charges posted above by ehsmum?

I got one too, sooo awesome! I love the camera and it takes great video too :love: You can download an app called iphone 4 case program and then put in all your details and they will send you a fee cover. There are a couple to choose from too. :)

I got one too, sooo awesome! I love the camera and it takes great video too :love: You can download an app called iphone 4 case program and then put in all your details and they will send you a fee cover. There are a couple to choose from too. :)
It's amazing how clear the screen is too isn't it. I didn't think my other one was not clear until I got the new one. Yes I ordered the case on Saturday. I ordered I think the third one down, it's a clear case. I don't really need it but hey, it was free so figured I may as well order one :rotfl::thumbsup2

Ooooooh so jealous of your new iPhone - they royally screwed up the release here and there were not enough - some stores didn't stock them at all, others had only 20 or so.

Interesting thread, I want to take my iPhone to the States (although at this rate I'll be there before I get the bl**dy phone :grin:) and the idea of a prepaid SIM sounds great.

I'm also keen to hear if any data was used on the charges posted above by ehsmum?

Yes they pretty much did that here too! I think it's done on purpose really. They do it to increase the hype "OMG, the Iphone sold out, I'd better race and try and get one as soon as they arrive in stock" My Dad went to the apple store to get one on Saturday morning and they had sold out, he tried another apple store and they had sold out on Friday afternoon. Everywhere has sold out and to order online it's a 3 week wait. I think it's their marketing ploy.

Has anyone tried the TravelSim? They can be purchased from Australia Post, are completely prepaid and you just pop them into your existing phone.

We tried a different international company last time, can't remember the name but when we put the sims in we couldn't get the phones to activate and work.

No I haven't tried them, but I saw them at the post office last week and wondered about them.

You all still good with your new toy? :yay:
Hope so...

LOVING my new toy! :woohoo: No problems with it at all! No death grip (and if you visit Mactalk forums there are very few people having a death grip problem :thumbsup2)

Soo tempting. My current iPhone 3G plan runs until the end of December but we can do a family switcheroo. Just waiting till the subsidised plan we can access comes out to see if it is worth it :upsidedow

Have you tried out the camera and video? Is it good?
The camera is fantastic! So much clearer than the old one, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that the screen is SO clear! It's amazing. My brother and Dad were going to wait to get one after they had "fixed the problems" now they are kicking themselves because they are sold out and after playing with mine both really want the new one.

[I know we are getting slightly off topic but hey...its a new toy!!! :flower3: ]
Ah don't worry about going OT, I am forever taking threads OT :lmao:

ETA - regarding the iBump...That's weird. I would ring Apple and check about that.
You should still get it even if you don't use it. I would suggest going to the Apple Store, but I don't think you have one?
(we have three...hehe)
I'm hoping Powersupport will come out with a case.
I have this for my iphone 3G and it is FANTASTIC. Nice grip with hardly any extra size.
Not sure if the new shape will allow for it though.
The case program was released on Saturday. It's the same as in the US. You have to download an app from itunes where you can order the case. There are quite a few to choose from, not just a bumper, there are a number of cases. It is available for phones purchased until maybe November (can't remember the exact date). Anyway mine is all ordered :thumbsup2

I looked at those a while ago- where it lists how much you save it actually said there is no saving in the US so I didn't bother.

Slightly off topic - but has anyone pre purchased a sim card before they got to the states? I need a US number to give to the airline and some bookings that Ive made want a contact number. Too expensive for Int roaming. I was going to wait until I got there and just buy a cheap phone and sim! What to do??:confused3

I checked into this too - I just wish I followed through with it once I arrived!

Do not under any means send MMS back home through your current provider! Stupid me did not realise that they are charged at ridiculous roaming rates :rolleyes: .

I don't know if you have found a solution to your problem but thought I would chirp in with what I found. You can buy a prepaid sim with data over there (it isn't much but is enough to check emails, maps while you're out etc) but you have to activate it through a phone that is other than your iPhone. I can't believe they make it THIS hard. So either take an old one with you or buy one of their cheapies. I did all this research as to the cheapest way and best way to do this, and in the end I just kept the same sim so I could be contacted on my normal number if need be. The good thing about the US is the vast amounts of free wi-fi spots around where you could use your maps/apps etc.

To the PP poster, you can buy US sim cards off ebay.com but I don't think you can activate it until you are over there.

Last time I was in the US, I ordered a cheap and cheerful "disposable" phone from Best Buy via the net and had it sent to my hotel (Pop) and they gave it to me when I checked in. Too easy.

It came pre-loaded with 300 minutes talk time, cost about $45. Maybe it was $40.

I also ordered a few other things this way - a hairdryer for example. That way I didn't have to touch down and then hunt for a shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter