Introducing Disney-Hating Grandparents to WDW/DCL?

If you do cruise, ask that you not share a table with strangers. Nothing worse than having a disgruntled person or people at the table. Only time I dreaded going to dinner.

If you must, I suggest a smaller ship (Magic or Wonder). I find The excitement of DIsney is more in your face on the Dream and the Fantasy.

I agree with the Alaska suggestion, especially for first time cruisers as the inside passage is gentler. It is port intensive and daytimes will mostly be sans Mickey and the gang.

That being said, taking people places they don’t want to go is usually a bad idea, not only for a family, but other passengers.

A negative reaction might also scar the experience for life for the kids.

Last edited:
The OP has stated that her parents have never cruised. I cannot imagine how taking them on any cruise is a good idea. Sure, it could turn out great, but will it? A cruise is a very particular kind of trip. I'm going to guess that all of the posters here who've recommended the cruise have been on them and like them. I've never been on a cruise and have zero desire to go on one. I'm guessing the OP's parents also have no desire, since they haven't been and could apparently afford it.

The OP has stated that her parents have never cruised. I cannot imagine how taking them on any cruise is a good idea. Sure, it could turn out great, but will it? A cruise is a very particular kind of trip. I'm going to guess that all of the posters here who've recommended the cruise have been on them and like them. I've never been on a cruise and have zero desire to go on one. I'm guessing the OP's parents also have no desire, since they haven't been and could apparently afford it.

I mean, of course it could turn out really poorly, but I would think that OP will consult her parents before booking anything non-refundable. This is the DCL forum so of course many of us in here are going to give a big thumbs up to cruising. But we've also all had one "first cruise". I'm not sure if OP's parents had zero desire for a cruise or just simply haven't done one yet. Surely they could look into it and decide if it was for them - there's so much media out there now that it is easy to do a bit of research. Anyway like I said, my ILs don't like camping much, but did it in order to experience it with their grandkids. They aren't Disney people but I know if I asked them to come along to Disneyland (etc) they would do it. Not everyone is like that.

I was as reluctant to go on my first cruise as OP's parents are to go to Disney. Even with the in-laws paying for it. Just sounded miserable. And tacky. Now we even cruise without them, so it can work out. Sometimes.

First of all, I didn't realize this was the DCL forum! Of course everyone thinks it's a great idea! And of course it could all work out.

I just took the OP very seriously. Perhaps her parents' anti-Disney attitude isn't as extreme as it seems to be. And perhaps they would like a cruise. Perhaps they would like WDW. It's impossible to tell what someone else would like.

First of all, I didn't realize this was the DCL forum! Of course everyone thinks it's a great idea! And of course it could all work out.

I just took the OP very seriously. Perhaps her parents' anti-Disney attitude isn't as extreme as it seems to be. And perhaps they would like a cruise. Perhaps they would like WDW. It's impossible to tell what someone else would like.

I guess my take on their Disney-hating is the way I respond when my kids screw up their face before trying a new food "You can't know you don't like if you've never even tried it." My parents have assumed that Disney vacations are awful, possibly unfairly, which is why we never went as kids. Yes, maybe their worst nightmares will be confirmed, but I am also hoping that if I handle it the right way, toning down the Disney aspects and the crowded activities/lines as much as possible, they will be pleasantly surprised.

For example, if we do the parks, I would go in the mornings and evenings with a midday break to avoid the crowds, only ride the rides we can fastpass, only eat table service, and fill out the rest of the day hanging out at the resort pools, mini golf, or disney springs. On the cruise, we would probably get off the boat and spend time together on land doing non-Disney things every port day, and use the at sea days for things like Palo brunch, pool time, and spa while the kids are in the club, and family activities together like the quiz show, trivia, and bingo. I know my parents would love the live music in the adult areas and lobby in the evenings, and I think they wouldn't mind the shows being disney-based because it is still live broadway-style show and not just cartoons.

We have tried going on other non-Disney vacations with them, and to be honest it is always very stressful because I am given the task of keeping three small children entertained and safe in environments that are not at all catered to kids, with limited success. At least at Disney, I don't have to worry that my kids are not welcome in nice restaurants (I once had a woman come up and tell my I should be ashamed and couldn't I see that my disgusting brats had spilt their milk all over the floor (they were 2 years old, and I asked the waiter for an extra napkin but he was slow!)), or deal with head gashes from hotel rooms that are not even close to child proofed (he still has the scar), or have one child nearly drown because there are no lifeguards at the beach and he snuck out of his puddle jumper when I turned my back (thank god I found him and got him out of the water and he survived). Until my kids are older, I just don't want to mess with it any more.

Yep, sorry for the rant, I guess I just needed to vent. It’s just really nice on the cruise having the kids club so I can have some me time now and then :)

Definitely a reason to pick the cruise over the parks.

Of the options, I think a cruise is the best one available, but I'm skeptical of the whole idea. Do your parents see the kids normally? Or is this something where you need to get together on vacation to spend time together? I don't see the point in trying to sell people on the "Disney magic." Reading your description of your father, I don't think his opinions are mistaken as much as they're opinions, and I suspect that even a cruise will reinforce those opinions, not dissuade him of them.

I think my answer would depend on the parents' personalities.

Assume the worst. They don't feel the Disney magic as you want them to.

Are they the kind of people who'll get joy out of seeing the grandkids having fun, even if the lodging, food, entertainment really isn't their cup of tea?

Are they adaptable, make-the-best-of-it types who'll try to have fun even if things aren't going smoothly? How have they reacted when things run off the rails on their own vacations? Do they react with good humor or with anger and frustration?

I'm asking because I'm picturing various people I know and have traveled with, and some I'd heartily recommend as travel buddies to anyone and others...not so much.

My own mother is the most adaptable traveler I've ever met, and will meet any travel obstacle with patience and humor and turn it into a great story. We still laugh about our "Lucy and Ethel trips."

But I'm also thinking of a friend's former father in law, who never met a vacation he couldn't ruin. He hated Disney and thought it was fake, phony, and beneath him. Well, to be fair, he thought that about most things. And if anyone had taken him on a trip to WDW or a DCL cruise, he would have grouched, complained, snapped and argued his way through every hour of the trip.

You know your parents best, OP. If they'll take on the trip with good humor and enjoy spending time with your kids no matter what the circumstances, go for it and have a blast! If they're going to be grumping around and making sure everyone knows how unhappy they are if they don't like it, well, I'd reconsider.

I would suggest the cruise. Depending on the ages of your children, I would not suggest flying to Europe to go on a port intensive cruise. It may be too much for the children. Instead, I would suggest one of the 7-night Caribbean cruises. During the day, everyone can do as they please. Come together at dinner, have an enjoyable meal with your own table, and discuss your day. I do not find the cruise ships to be over-the-top Disney. As a parent and a grandparent, this would be my choice.

As a Disney loving grandma, I would suggest a cruise on one of the smaller ships. As grandparents, we have gone out of our ''comfort zone'' many times to be able to experience new things with our grandchidren , at their request , and I'm so happy we did.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter