Internet Details While at WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGuy

<font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and
Since WiFi is now available and free at all Disney resorts and WDW theme parks, we will be closing this sticky. It will remain on the board for reference. If you have questions about internet access at Disney resorts, just post them on the Resorts board.

INTRO:

For a good many years, Walt Disney World resort charged for internet access. The details of that are the next post ... for historical giggles only.

This FREE WIFI is apparently now complete in all rooms including the cabins at Ft. W. and all park areas etc. Part of the My Disney Experience program.

WIFI-NET-2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS INFORMATION IS OLD AND OUT OF DATE AND NO LONGER APPLIES.

This is the information on the 'pay system' that still may apply til the 'complimentary WIFI' roll out is complete.

It's not yet clear if the 'paid' system will be completely phased out in all areas. Seems likely but ... we won't know for sure till they say they're done. ;)

-----
OLD PAY INFO
-----

Excerpted from :
Internet Access at WDW Resorts - WDWINFO.COM

It's not unusual for today's vacationers to bring a laptop along for the ride. In response to this, Disney is continually updating guest computer access at the resorts.

All of the Disney resorts have High Speed Internet Access:

Price: $9.95 for 24 contiguous hours charged to the room account.
Technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Requirements: A Local Area Network (LAN) cable or in-room connection.

Computer Rentals: You can rent a computer at the Disney Resort Business Centers which are located at the resorts listed in the next section. These computers can be accessed during normal Business Center Hours. The center is to be contacted for pricing/availabilty.

Additionally, laptops can be rented. These require 24 hours notice.

Onsite WI-FI

Wi-Fi is offered on a per day charge basis at select Disney Resorts and throughout areas of Wide World of Sports. If you have a Wi-Fi enabled laptop or PDA, you can access the internet from common areas at the resort.

Smart City is the service provider and offers 24 hour technical support. They can be reached by calling 407-938-HELP

Requirements: Wireless Interface Card (WIC) which can be purchased in the resort's business center

Price: $4.99 for the first 60 minutes or $9.95 for 24 contigious hours

Billing: Smart City bills the user via a secure credit card transaction thru the internet connection

Locations:
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Main Lobby area
Stone Harbor Club Concierge Lounge
Stormalong Bay Pool area
Disney's Boardwalk Resort
Convention Center Hallways/Common Areas
Resort Lobby
Main Swimming Pool Area
Concierge Lounges
Bellevue Lounge
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Front Desk sitting area
14th Floor Concierge sitting area
Outer Rim Bar
1st Floor Convention Center Lobby
2nd Floor Convention Center Lobby
Feature Pool
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Main Hotel Lobby
Convention Center Lobby
Feature Pool
Francisco's Lounge
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
1st Floor Lobby including the Tea Room
Convention Center Lobby
4th Floor Concierge sitting area
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
Main Lobby (both resorts)
Concierge sitting area (both resorts)
Convention Center Lobby
Stormalong Bay Pool
In addition to the Resorts, the following restaurant has WiFi:
Sand Trap Bar & Grill
Other Wireless Fidelity Locations

Wi-Fi, or Wireless Fidelity, is internet freedom: it allows you to connect to the Internet from your home, in a hotel room or at a conference room at work without wires. Wi-Fi is a wireless technology like a cell phone. Wi-Fi enabled computers send and receive data indoors and out; anywhere within the range of a base station. It's fast so fast It is several times faster than the fastest cable modem connection.

Wi-Fi networks may be the fastest-growing segment of Wi-Fi service, as more and more travelers and mobile professionals look for fast and secure Internet access wherever they are while they travel. Wi-Fi networks soon will be found in urban areas providing coverage throughout cities, or they will even be available on major highways, enabling access anywhere you can pull over and stop the car.

Please note you only have true freedom to be connected anywhere if your computer is configured with a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED radio (a PC Card or similar device). Wi-Fi certification means that you will be able to connect anywhere there are other compatible Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products — whether you are at home, the office or corporate campus, or in airports, hotels, coffee shops and other public areas equipped with Wi-Fi access available.

Last edited:
Quick question regrding Wi-Fi. I have the kindle fire which needs wi-fi to connect to the web. For downloading my books and cruising the net. Staying at the Contemporary, will i be able to connect in my room? Bringing the fire, since its smaller than my laptop, and thought it would be better.

Quick question regrding Wi-Fi. I have the kindle fire which needs wi-fi to connect to the web. For downloading my books and cruising the net. Staying at the Contemporary, will i be able to connect in my room? Bringing the fire, since its smaller than my laptop, and thought it would be better.

I know the common areas are covered. Hopefully a recent Contemporary guest can chime in regarding complimentary room coverage.

We used WDW free wi-fi last month at POR, and several times at other locations, including Contemporary. Most of the time, the connection was pretty reliable, but I did use my own connection-Verizon Mi-Fi a few times when the wi-fi pixie dust wasn't being sprinkled on our resort. ;)

i may not be the norm but i'm taking a 10 day vacation and that vacation included being away from the computer... disney forums,twitter,email,facebook...all of it... just enjoying disney for what it is....don't want the internet connection...just go swimming or something fun instead.:banana:

So, does anyone know if the free WiFi is accessible in CR rooms or just in common areas? Unfortunately for work, I have to check email 2-3 times a day. Debating on taking laptop or just winging it with blackberry/iphone.

I've read several reports that it IS accessible in the rooms at CR.

We are trying to decide which non-contract plan might work best, Sprint (aka Virgin), Verizon, or TMobile Has anybody used these services and how were they? We are staying at AS Music for spring break - so no free WiFi

I'll be following this thread closely. We're staying at POFQ this summer, and my husband will still be required to answer work emails (he works technical support and is the only person in that department at his division).

I'll be following this thread closely. We're staying at POFQ this summer, and my husband will still be required to answer work emails (he works technical support and is the only person in that department at his division).

The moderate resorts, including POFQ, now all have free WiFi - so you will probably be in good shape! I think that it is just the Values that will still have an issue

The moderate resorts, including POFQ, now all have free WiFi - so you will probably be in good shape! I think that it is just the Values that will still have an issue

Thanks for the information :) I hate that he has to be on call, but glad it won't be 9.95 a day for him to check his work email periodically.

I was at SSR in late Nov and we had WiFi in our room. Forget the #, but it was ground floor of the most Southeastern building in The Springs.

Reception was very weak on an HP laptop (G/B only), and only worked in some areas. It was pretty much unusable for an iPod Touch, 2 iPhones and an iPad. I wish I brought my own access point.

[This is still very much a work in progress and suggestions for ideas to make this better or include more info are always welcome! Just post to the thread]

INTRO:

For a good many years, Walt Disney World resort charged for internet access. The details of that are the next post ... for those traveling while the 'old way' is still in use at some areas / resorts at Walt Disney World.

Slowly the resorts division has been rolling out free WI-FI in both common areas and some have started in guest rooms. The following resorts have at least common areas covered for WI-FI and some (most?) of them also have guest room WI-FI coverage.

Animal Kingdom Lodge
Beach Club / Yacht Club
Boardwalk Inn
Caribbean Beach *
Contemporary Resort
Coronado Springs
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Old Key West
Polynesian
Port Orleans *
Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Wilderness Lodge

* Indicates 'in progress' implementation

If you are seeing in room fliers like the one immediately below in your room at WDW resort not listed above, please be sure to send a PM to CanadianGuy & Lynne M so we can update this list for future travelers!

WIFI-NET-2.jpg

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the update. Am planning a stay at the French Quarter for later this year, so hopefully it's up & running.

I started another thread about park wi-fi and people said that POFQ has free wi-fi! So excited since I'll be there in 2 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!