International travel restrictions

All those images make me wonder how you manage with a toddler (old enough to need their own seat) who needs to be beside you getting constant attention.
Agreed! I have a 5 year old and even imagining that is hard. Can’t imagine flying with a 2 or 3 year old in this...

I hope the solution is a bit fairer to everyone.

I want to be able to talk to my kid on flights. I want to be part of the fun, and I want to be there to provide comfort when he needs it.

I also can’t imagine what these kinds of partitions would do for anyone with claustrophobia. Plus safety questions about managing emergencies...these are big barriers that will make air travel difficult for people with any mobility limitation.

Most airlines already have different fare categories that allow for more space, if that’s what works best for you. Lower categories already limit space to the extreme, without some kind of inflexible barrier between seats.
I’m claustrophobic enough that I already need to be medicated to fly. As soon as the doors close I feel trapped and after a horrible panic attack I now use medication. I absolutely could not be penned in like that. I wouldn’t be able to fly .
I could do the ones in the picture that are just framing the head but not if they were right down to the floor. It’s all about perceived escape for me.

Last edited:
Dr. Bonnie Henry told BC residents that they should not expect to travel internationally this summer and that we need to find joy in places closer to home. Our trip to Aulani seems to be in jeopardy, but I guess it is for the greater good.
It will be interesting to see if premier Horgan mentions anything about travel tomorrow in his speech about easing restrictions. At the end of the day, opening the borders and travelling comes down from a Federal level,.not a provincial level. Although it's not out of the realm of possibility for Trudeau to open the border but Horgan to say nope, BC residents can't go.

Dr. Bonnie Henry told BC residents that they should not expect to travel internationally this summer and that we need to find joy in places closer to home. Our trip to Aulani seems to be in jeopardy, but I guess it is for the greater good.
We have trip to San Diego and Disneyland booked for August. I was still cautiously optimistic until I saw this from Dr. Henry. I’m curious to see what premier Horgan has to say tomorrow but my optimism is dwindling :guilty:

I am in the same situation, have some travel planned and waiting to see how things unfold and if we will even be given the choice to go. For our family, quarantine for 14 days at the end of the trip isn't really an option so if that is the reality then we will be staying home.

Our trip to Bahamas is a Wednesday-Wednesday, which totally sucks for DH as he already had to take a full two weeks of vacation for it (Mon-Fri, Mon-Fri). There is no way he could take another two weeks off upon returning home. I know that trip won't happen as it's this summer.

Our WDW trip (me, DD, Mom, Dad) is the first week of December. The last day before Christmas Break is December 18. That means DD (at that time will be in Grade 7) would miss the whole month of December!

We have trip to San Diego and Disneyland booked for August. I was still cautiously optimistic until I saw this from Dr. Henry. I’m curious to see what premier Horgan has to say tomorrow but my optimism is dwindling :guilty:
Us too, in Aug. but to WDW. Staying tuned to Global to hear what Horgan has to say this morning. Trying to stay optimistic about Aug. fingers crossed.

I watched Premier Horgan's update this afternoon. It doesn't look good for international travel anytime soon unless we can quarantine for 14 days upon returning. Sounds like mandatory quarantine will be the norm for a long time yet.

I watched Premier Horgan's update this afternoon. It doesn't look good for international travel anytime soon unless we can quarantine for 14 days upon returning. Sounds like mandatory quarantine will be the norm for a long time yet.
Yup. I think that was the final straw for our August trip :( Ok well technically I'm waiting for the next announcement from Trudeau but I'm expecting the same answer from him that we heard today from the premier. Then I'll definitely cancel. Sigh. October will be next on the chopping block.

Hopefully we can travel within BC though, he made it sound like later in June that would be an option with hotels reopening. So hopefully a trip to the Okanagan or something. Was thinking AB for later in August with our trip being cancelled but right now they are not accepting reservations for out of province guests.

I was reading a piece written about how other countries are not going to want Americans to visit any time soon. Some places in Europe are starting to open borders to each other, or have plans to do so in the near future. I'd say we are a few months behind them? However given our border is with the US and things are a bit chaotic there, not sure how that would impact us.

Hopefully some of the research currently underway will lead to at least better treatments, if not a vaccine. I'd still like to be able to get away next winter. Summer, I can handle just being here, working from home, and hopefully getting to parks and such, maybe going swimming. But we had no summer travel plans this year.

Yup. I think that was the final straw for our August trip :( Ok well technically I'm waiting for the next announcement from Trudeau but I'm expecting the same answer from him that we heard today from the premier. Then I'll definitely cancel. Sigh. October will be next on the chopping block.

Hopefully we can travel within BC though, he made it sound like later in June that would be an option with hotels reopening. So hopefully a trip to the Okanagan or something. Was thinking AB for later in August with our trip being cancelled but right now they are not accepting reservations for out of province guests.
I’m waiting for Trudeau as well. I haven’t cancelled yet but it’s looking more and more like a rebook for next year.
The Okanagan is beautiful so that may be where we end up too. I hope your AB plans work out for you!

After talking to DH I think we're going to hold onto our Dec 2020 ressie until we see how things play out into September ... but I think at that point we may reschedule to 2021. We won't go for a highly reduced experience... no fireworks, shows, tours, restaurants, parties, CP, etc... are not an option as these are part of what we want to enjoy and we'll defer if they aren't going to be offered.

To some extent (and I know this sounds selfish) but if you're paying $15000 -20000 for a 10 to 12 day vacation (between flights YOW to MCO return, hotels, local and onsite parking, transfers, kennels, tickets, car rental, events, etc...) it's a lot to spend for a limited experience.

I suspect buying medical insurance for travel to the US (for Canadians) will NOT be cheap going forward --- but will still be important to have. We won' t go to the US without travel insurance in place (Trip cancellation isn't a thing at all for us since we do room only and buy modifiable flights, etc...)

For us the quarantine period will be a thing since we have a DS who is in high school -- the number of quarantine days (14 arriving in FL and 14 on return to Canada) plus vacation means summer is the only option and I'm not so sure we want to spend time in FL when it's super hot. There's no time but summer that can accomodate 2 @ 14 day quarantines (1 in FL, 1 in Canada) - plus the actual number of days of the trip.

If the quarantine thing is resolved we'll rebook to Christmas 2021 in a heartbeat. (This one is best case for us -- and well... assuming quarantine isn't req'd means things are more stable -- which is good for everyone) but means we lose our bounceback and the discount for the CDN tickets since they were only good until the end of 2020 (unless they extend them) which could make a summer trip more attractive depending on the situation.

I guess the main thing is --- we want to go to WDW when we feel the situation is under control but there's a lot of things in play at this point and have no sense when things will change enough (safely) in the near term.

I spoke with my ex two nights ago. He thinks ( mind you he voted for ..he thinks a lot ) that he may be traveling from the US to Toronto for work . I’m like nope prob not going to happen ..but he actually said to me “ sneak away for a couple days to come see the boys “ um big freaking now. Your state has more deaths than our country .. just not getting it
we have August and dec booked and I’m not sure either will happen .
this is all so scary

I have until September to PIF on December's trip (cruises). I haven't bought flights yet. We'll see. If we can't cruise then, I wonder if other countries will be open to us than the US.

I believe my medical insurance through work still covers me, but they keep updating things and I haven't really checked since I'm not going anywhere at the moment :) It is likely to get updated again any way.

@TammyLynn33 I can't imagine he'll be able to come here for work for the foreseeable future. He'd still have a 14 day quarantine in place if he crossed over here.

I have until September to PIF on December's trip (cruises). I haven't bought flights yet. We'll see. If we can't cruise then, I wonder if other countries will be open to us than the US.

I believe my medical insurance through work still covers me, but they keep updating things and I haven't really checked since I'm not going anywhere at the moment :) It is likely to get updated again any way.

@TammyLynn33 I can't imagine he'll be able to come here for work for the foreseeable future. He'd still have a 14 day quarantine in place if he crossed over here.

i agree 100% but I also know this country is desperate to have sports back and they sometimes get different treatment than the rest of us.. which is why I’m concerned .

i agree 100% but I also know this country is desperate to have sports back and they sometimes get different treatment than the rest of us.. which is why I’m concerned .

True. I am sure if people are travelling here for sporting events there would be some restrictive measures put in place. I believe Toronto Mayor has been talking to the baseball and basketball teams about playing again. Hopefully though they have ideas for keeping everyone safe, players and everyone else.

Stories/scenarios are changing daily but you can’t keep people safe that don’t see the problem . That’s the scary party . and all it takes is one idiot/one person saying “ just the flu” or “political grandstanding “ it’s a scary thing to be coparenting right now with these views

True. I am sure if people are travelling here for sporting events there would be some restrictive measures put in place. I believe Toronto Mayor has been talking to the baseball and basketball teams about playing again. Hopefully though they have ideas for keeping everyone safe, players and everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter