Intentionally buy a contract with different UY. Please comment

MagicJourney

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We plan to add 200 BWV points, currently own 200 @ BLT. People always say it's better to buy contracts with the same UY, but I think buy a contract with different UY might make sense for us, here are my reasons, please comment:
1. 200 pts is big enough so we don't need to combine pts from different contracts. If need, we could borrow pts, or rent a few pts @ same resort so we won't lose the 11 month window.
2. Two UY can cover different travel seasons. For example, our Feb UY BLT covers spring break, summer travel, and a Sept BWV can be used for Food&Wine, Christmas. If we have to cancel our trip last minute, we still have plenty of time to use the pts before expiration.
3. As a bonus of two UY, we earn one more transfer privilege, in case we need to transfer in/out some pts.

Sounds reasonable? Am I missing some important benefits to have same UY? or any disadvantage to have different UY?

We plan to add 200 BWV points, currently own 200 @ BLT. People always say it's better to buy contracts with the same UY, but I think buy a contract with different UY might make sense for us, here are my reasons, please comment:
1. 200 pts is big enough so we don't need to combine pts from different contracts. If need, we could borrow pts, or rent a few pts @ same resort so we won't lose the 11 month window.
2. Two UY can cover different travel seasons. For example, our Feb UY BLT covers spring break, summer travel, and a Sept BWV can be used for Food&Wine, Christmas. If we have to cancel our trip last minute, we still have plenty of time to use the pts before expiration.
3. As a bonus of two UY, we earn one more transfer privilege, in case we need to transfer in/out some pts.

Sounds reasonable? Am I missing some important benefits to have same UY? or any disadvantage to have different UY?
It can work for some. IMO it's still better having them all together unless you have specific plans for trips where a different UY is MUCH better. It sounds like you understand what you'd be getting into.

We don't vacation the same time every year so we intentionally bought contracts with 2 different Use Years separated by 4 months so we always have points that can be booked without worrying about banking deadlines.

It's worked for us pretty well so far.

We have a vacation coming up (end of March to beginning of April) that splits UYs. We booked the first half online using our December UY and the second half using our April UY. We then called Member Services to link our reservations.

We have 2 and if you have a good reason and you know what you are getting into, go for it. I didn't know what I was doing when we bought our first one.

Keep in mind that you have to do double work, keeping track of dates, twice the paper work and mailings, and twice the potential for errors.

:earsboy: Bill

I also bought 2 UY for the same reasons as the OP. Managing 2 UY is not
that differcult, I spend maybe an extra hour a year managing them.

Three years ago we bought two different use years at two different resorts because the deal was too good to pass up and it's worked out fine for us.

We own 100 points at BWV, December use year and 55 points at SSR, June use year. Both purchased via resale, loaded with banked points.

We only need a studio for my DW and I and I didn't want to pay a lot of extra $$ for Maintenance fees.

We use our BWV points every year and the SSR points every two years. This year we are spending seven nights at BWV in April and then seven nights at SSR in October.

Good luck and enjoy your points what ever you decide. :)

We also have two use years - Aug & Dec which works well.

But, this summer I booked some days with my one contract and some with my other. They some how messed up my reservation. When, I checked in, they never told me exactly what was wrong just that they needed to fix it. Its a long complicated story which I will not bore you with. Just, that it does not always go smoothly.

We have three Use Years and used to have a 4th. Managing them is pretty simple and even easier now with the information available online via the member's website.

There are more positives than negatives for me and it does sound as though you have thought it through.

Enjoy the additional flexibility. :teeth:

We have two UY (our contracts are titled differently so would have had two memberships regardless). It's good for the extra flexibility. We have Sep and Dec. When we bought the contracts we knew we would mainly be going in fall and winter. Now we are moving to Florida and will be using our points for shorter stays but more often, during more times of the year. You can't really predict your vacation habits or what may change in the future. Now having two UY seems like a better choice for us, as we can vacation (and still bank) during every month of the year except August. I don't really want to go to WDW in August anyway. ;)

Thank you all for your input! Glad to hear many positive first-hand feedbacks here. Start hunting for a BWV contract with different UY now:thumbsup2

I'll just add that we intentionally bought 2 UY's. My main reason was VGC and the intent to use that mostly for June travel (FL in summer is not my cup of tea). But wanted a fall UY for WDW travel. We have had and continue to have various health issues in the family and have had to do late cancellations or switches on short notice so the "insurance" provided by booking early in a UY has been helpful more than once. Every now and then it takes a little extra thought for booking but nothing terrible and I haven't found it difficult to manage the two.

Easier is one UY and if I did not have the cancellation concerns I would have just stuck with that but being able to have the two has been the benefit I thought it would be.

We have two UYs, unintentional, but since they are at different resorts, it worked out great. I've never needed to combine them for a reservation and I treat them as separate ownerships. I've never had a problem with remembeing banking deadlines because I am usually in borrow mode :wave2:, which makes banking a moot point.

I just bought a VGC add-on direct from Disney and here is where I am getting myself into trouble. I waitlisted for either of my UYs and I got the one that was not already VGC, so now I have VGC points in two separate UYs. I'm not excited about that, but after waiting 6+ months for the points, I took them to get the price before the increase.

Then, I decided to add-on two smaller contracts for BCV, and these ended up being my second UY and suddenly it all became too complicated, so I canceled those contracts.

It was all good with two! Then I complicated matters a bit, but am glad I have the VGC points and very glad I canceled the BCV add-on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter