insurance question

saraschuelke

Earning My Ears
I am about to book on the wonder and I would like to know should I get there insurance for my family of five or should I get traveguard. Any help would be great..

thank you

sara

It's a matter of personal preference, but I'll give you the reasons I get insurance from a third party rather from DCL:

I've always read that it's better to have the insurance from a 'disinterested party' rather than from the travel provider in the case of a dispute. The reason would be that the third party wouldn't be interested in settling claims in favor of DCL and would be more likely to look at it objectively.

I find it more convenient to buy from a 3rd party, but I carry the paperwork with me so that it's easy to identify that I do have it, in the event I would need a medical evacuation or other emergency.

I can comparison shop and find a provider that has a good price with the major features that I want.

I can wait and buy it as close as 2 or 3 days before the cruise, if I wanted.

If I buy it within the first 7 days of booking, I get a waiver that covers pre-existing conditions.

Some of the pros of buying the DCL insurance are:

One stop shopping with one payment.

Easy identification if you need the medical evacuation - don't need any additional verification or proof of insurance because it's on the DCL records.

hope that helps

I agree with Albaits. A third party carrier is the way to go. As far as waiting to buy the insurance closer to cruise time, I would not do that. I had booked my cruise for 1/4 last February. At the time i thought to myself that i would wait until closer to cruise time to purchase the insurance. Well, my mother was diagnosed with cancer in September, and it was determined that it was terminal in October. Hence, when i purchased the trip insurance it did not cover pre-existing conditions. You never know what will happen, so i would recommend to buy it within seven days of booking your cruise.

I bought from a 3rd party also and would do so again. One thing I've been thinking of in the last few days regarding issues on the board and travel insurance.....

When you purchase outside insurance, you declare the total value of the trip. If you have non refundable airline tickets, those would be covered in case a cruise got cancelled. Of ourse, that was likely a one time event, but for those with travel insurance who purchased their own flights, the cost would likley have been reimbursable.

My medical insurance would cover us out of the country, but wouldn't cover a medivac flight back to the US for treatment. That is what sold me on insuance. I wouldn't want my children to have to have an appendix or something removed at the nearest island to where it was diagnosed.

Probably Disney's and most of the outside cover about the same things, but the ones that aren't Disney just cost less. Look at insuremytrip.com for comparisons.

thanks for all your help. Does anybody know the best 3rd party insurance company to go with. Is travelguard the best...
thank you

I've always read that it's better to have the insurance from a 'disinterested party' rather than from the travel provider in the case of a dispute. The reason would be that the third party wouldn't be interested in settling claims in favor of DCL and would be more likely to look at it objectively.

Ok, one thing to remember here is that DCL is not the insurer (and for the life of me, I can't remember who they use, sorry!), they are selling third party coverage and all claims go thru the carrier, not DCL. It's pretty much the same as if you went to AAA and bought travel insurance from them; they are the intermediary only. So you should not worry about that; the insurer is not likely to care who sold you the policy.

You should go to insuremytrip.com and read thru the options. You cannot determine which company is best unless you know which coverages you want/need. Travelguard and Access America are known to be very good and reputable. If you booked thru a TA, ask his or her opinion too. Just remember that the most critical thing is to be covered for the right risks for the price you are comfortable with.

Prymsu...I am researching insurances now as we leave in May. I am noticing that CSA's Silver policy covers non-traveling family members for pre existing conditions as long as you purchase the insurance prior to final payment. The pre existing condition policy does NOT cover traveling members under this policy unless you buy it within 6 months of the first payment. I was researching on www.insuremytrip.com. I know you already went on your cruise but thought I'd mention it for future cruisers.

Joanna

thanx Joanna for that info. I will be going on family medical leave soon, so I won't be doing any travel for a while, but afterwards, i will keep that in mind when i book my next cruise, as my father's health is not the best either.

Thank you!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter