Info on ride line pass for autistic child

This is what we did last week when we were there. It worked great. I waited on the line then DH brought my DS when we got close to the front. Once something was said but he just said I'm with her and I said didn't you think it was strange an adult waiting by herself for Buzz.

Why would it be strange for an adult to be waiting alone to meet a character? There are many threads on this board of people who do this all the time. There is no age limit for meeting the characters.

anonymousegirl said:
I agree that family with special needs deal with a lot of issues daily (my sister has three sp.needs kids). And I'm sure Disney would like to be as accommodating as they can be. The issue is the people who scam the system. These people can be blatant in their attempts to skip lines and gain advantages over all the other Disney guests.

These scammers are who make Disney guests so angry. And when countless people are doing it you can imagine that it adds significantly to your wait time.

I'm confused though because how would anyone know if someone is scamming?? The GAC is already specifically for "unseen" issues, right? So how can anyone be judging whether people need it or not if these are for disabilities you can't visually see.

I'm not saying scamming doesn't happen, I'm just saying how would anyone know to be angry about it, unless someone is in line bragging about how they misused the system.

I find it hard to think that very many would pretend there is something wrong with their kid when their isn't. But, i am typically niave. Lol! I don't have a need for this though, and was researching for a friend. Her son has sensory processing disorder and ADHD.

Why would it be strange for an adult to be waiting alone to meet a character? There are many threads on this board of people who do this all the time. There is no age limit for meeting the characters.

DH and I have done this a few times. I really didn't notice whether others were staring or not. I also waited in line with 1 or 2 DGDs while the rest sat on a bench out of the heat. When we got close to the characters, the rest joined up and no comments were made.

Mike Bartenhagen said:
In my experience it does seem that the alternative access line is a bit quicker but in exchange for that little "perk" we get at WDW every other year our son endures thousands of seizures each month, he takes 18 pills each day, he has had 3 brain surgeries, countless injuries from falls, he uses a wheelchair to get around, etc. I wouldn't mind sitting down with some of those that are angry about the alternative entrances so they could explain to me just how lucky we are ;)

Thank you for your response. I am so blessed to have 2 girls without special needs. But, my best friend has a DS that has SPD and ADHD (which is minor compared to others) and I know first hand what she deals with on a daily basis. Her DS is 3 weeks younger than my DD so very easy to compare and she has to worry about so much every day that I do not have to. If I could give her a FOTL pass for everything I would, even if it meant I had to wait slightly longer. I don't understand why anyone NOT needing assistance would be angry by those that do. Just thank God that you don't need it and move on.

Thank you for your response. I am so blessed to have 2 girls without special needs. But, my best friend has a DS that has SPD and ADHD (which is minor compared to others) and I know first hand what she deals with on a daily basis. Her DS is 3 weeks younger than my DD so very easy to compare and she has to worry about so much every day that I do not have to. If I could give her a FOTL pass for everything I would, even if it meant I had to wait slightly longer. I don't understand why anyone NOT needing assistance would be angry by those that do. Just thank God that you don't need it and move on.

I think people would not begrudge one special needs kid FOTL, but in Disney there could be hundreds of people with varied disabilities on any given day, if not thousands. Even healthy children do not like waiting on lines and can get ancy, and it makes their waits even longer. I think a pass to return (based on the estimated wait time) for attractions and characters would appease everyone, but they don't seem to use that option very often.

chloelovesdisney said:
I think people would not begrudge one special needs kid FOTL, but in Disney there could be hundreds of people with varied disabilities on any given day, if not thousands. Even healthy children do not like waiting on lines and can get ancy, and it makes their waits even longer. I think a pass to return (based on the estimated wait time) for attractions and characters would appease everyone, but they don't seem to use that option very often.

I can see your point. I just don't think seeing someone who is less fortunate then me and my family would ever make me feel angry at them, just blessed.

The last time we were at WDW in Nov 2011 we were at DHS and we were just about to go around the corner and see Woody and Buzz, the CM came around and said we would have to wait 15 minutes because a Make A Wish child was coming in. We waited patiently while a few behind us complained. When we were led in next, this beautiful 4-5 yo girl was smiling walking out with her dad. Her mom had tears in her eyes and whispered apologies to us for waiting. My DH and I told her no problem!! I got tears in my eyes at the wonderful opportunity that child was having, and just the sadness of wondering why she was a make a wish kid, and that scary thought of "what if it were one of my girls". I still can't believe people were complaining. DH had a hard time keeping his mouth shut.

I can see your point. I just don't think seeing someone who is less fortunate then me and my family would ever make me feel angry at them, just blessed.

The last time we were at WDW in Nov 2011 we were at DHS and we were just about to go around the corner and see Woody and Buzz, the CM came around and said we would have to wait 15 minutes because a Make A Wish child was coming in. We waited patiently while a few behind us complained. When we were led in next, this beautiful 4-5 yo girl was smiling walking out with her dad. Her mom had tears in her eyes and whispered apologies to us for waiting. My DH and I told her no problem!! I got tears in my eyes at the wonderful opportunity that child was having, and just the sadness of wondering why she was a make a wish kid, and that scary thought of "what if it were one of my girls". I still can't believe people were complaining. DH had a hard time keeping his mouth shut.

ITA, I would not be upset at all in that case. That was one family though and your wait was only 15 minutes longer. The number of Wish kids in the park on a given day compared to the number of folks with GACs is very, very small.

chloelovesdisney said:
ITA, I would not be upset at all in that case. That was one family though and your wait was only 15 minutes longer. The number of Wish kids in the park on a given day compared to the number of folks with GACs is very, very small.

I agree.

In my case my DD does not look like she would need special accommodations. We have went a very long time without getting the GAC card. We just always thought their are children who need it more then my DD. Now that my dad's condition is getting worse I have been getting the card. It really makes a huge difference. Makes the days more enjoyable for her and inturn the rest of our family because we were missing out on so much. I also have a 10 year old DD. Like I said she doesn't appear to have any problems. But put her in a situation where she is not comfortable ....someone touching her someone too close to her....to many people around her you would know she needs it. That being said there have been times we were looked at by others and even a few cast members while using the card like we don't have the right to use it. Its sad that people abuse this system. We have been going to Disney for over 7 years now. This is the first year we have used it and we are finally doing things we weren't able to do without it.

My son looks typical. There is no way just looking at him that someone can tell he has special needs. He would meet the criteria for a MAW trip, as I'm sure others with a GAC could too. But with a GAC there is just no way of telling who has what kind of condtition, because it's for hidden disabilitites.

I'm confused though because how would anyone know if someone is scamming?? The GAC is already specifically for "unseen" issues, right? So how can anyone be judging whether people need it or not if these are for disabilities you can't visually see.

I'm not saying scamming doesn't happen, I'm just saying how would anyone know to be angry about it, unless someone is in line bragging about how they misused the system.

I find it hard to think that very many would pretend there is something wrong with their kid when their isn't. But, i am typically niave. Lol! I don't have a need for this though, and was researching for a friend. Her son has sensory processing disorder and ADHD.

The general public doesn't understand the GAC and just sees Little Betty Lou and her family seemingly skipping the lines by flashing a little card.

The there are those who know the GAC exists and fake a need, knowing the CM cannot ask for documentation. I personally know someone who claims she cannot climb stairs so she can get a GAC at Disneyland (which is less mainstreamed than WDW). She even looks up a medical condition so she can sound genuine.

Other posters have reported people renting wheelchairs at WDW thinking that will get them front of the line access and then grumbling about it when it doesn't.

anonymousegirl said:
The general public doesn't understand the GAC and just sees Little Betty Lou and her family seemingly skipping the lines by flashing a little card.

The there are those who know the GAC exists and fake a need, knowing the CM cannot ask for documentation. I personally know someone who claims she cannot climb stairs so she can get a GAC at Disneyland (which is less mainstreamed than WDW). She even looks up a medical condition so she can sound genuine.

Other posters have reported people renting wheelchairs at WDW thinking that will get them front of the line access and then grumbling about it when it doesn't.

People in general are so disappointing aren't they? :-\

This is what I always point out when someone starts ranting about "rampant wheelchair abuse." Anyone who fakes needing an assistive device at WDW in order to get some kind of "perk" is going to quickly find out that the benefit to someone who doesn't really need it is so small that it isn't worth the effort, so why worry about it?

anonymousegirl said:

I love it when that happens! Not that they are attempting to abuse the system, but that they find out it doesn't work. Oh how wonderful it would be to stroll around the parks and not worry about the wheelchair or mobility issues. I know we could do so much more in the same hours.

I actually saw a family at TSMM with a wheelchair trying to go up through the exit ramp. A CM stopped them and indicated the mainstreamed line. The family were insisting that the wheelchair should at least go through the FP line. The CM had to be super persistant but diplomatic and they left without riding. I could hear them talking low as they passed me saying that it wasn't worth renting the wheelchair if they couldn't use the exit lines!

A few years ago on the 4th of July we were early to get a great spot to see the parade and fireworks at night. Along came a family of about 6-7 people. One lady was in a wheel chair she looked fine....but as I know you don't have to look different to be disabled. Anyway we were more than happy to move ourselves to let the wheelchair fit in. Stupid us.....LOL about 30 minutes went by still waiting she turned to a boy that was with her and said would you like to sit and rest for a little. Lady got up fine and the young kid sat down. There was a girl a little younger then him( must have been siblings) she started yelling " you said it was my turn. The lady said to her " I told you we can all take turns"

tcp0421 said:
A few years ago on the 4th of July we were early to get a great spot to see the parade and fireworks at night. Along came a family of about 6-7 people. One lady was in a wheel chair she looked fine....but as I know you don't have to look different to be disabled. Anyway we were more than happy to move ourselves to let the wheelchair fit in. Stupid us.....LOL about 30 minutes went by still waiting she turned to a boy that was with her and said would you like to sit and rest for a little. Lady got up fine and the young kid sat down. There was a girl a little younger then him( must have been siblings) she started yelling " you said it was my turn. The lady said to her " I told you we can all take turns"

Lol!!! So ridiculous.

Actually, I can see this legitimately happening. Mom has MS or something that impairs her stamina and ability to walk around the parks all day. She looks perfectly healthy, but WDW's response to such issues is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Mom doesn't really need to be seated in the wheelchair at all times, she prefers to stretch her legs now and then, and has promised the kids they can take turns sitting/riding when she's not using it. It's something that is often recommended here.

Actually, I can see this legitimately happening. Mom has MS or something that impairs her stamina and ability to walk around the parks all day. She looks perfectly healthy, but WDW's response to such issues is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Mom doesn't really need to be seated in the wheelchair at all times, she prefers to stretch her legs now and then, and has promised the kids they can take turns sitting/riding when she's not using it. It's something that is often recommended here.

Exactly. I had a serious spinal injury six years ago and while I have recovered amazingly well, after walking a long distance I lose all feeling in my feet and get clumsier and clumsier and in a great deal of pain. One year at WDW I did use a wheelchair for a few days. I can walk just fine, climb stairs, etc but doing those things all day aggravated back and legs and made it impossible for me to enjoy my trip.

I could get up and walk just fine if I had been in the chair all day. Without that chair I would not have been able to visit the parks. I NEVER use a wheelchair anywhere else. Doesn't mean I'm a faker at WDW.

Bottom line: We don't know what's going on with people. Yes, people try to fake disabilities but all three members of my family have disabilities, yet we look "normal". You cannot tell just by looking. Assume the best about people is what I try to do. :)

mamatohaleybug said:
Exactly. I had a serious spinal injury six years ago and while I have recovered amazingly well, after walking a long distance I lose all feeling in my feet and get clumsier and clumsier and in a great deal of pain. One year at WDW I did use a wheelchair for a few days. I can walk just fine, climb stairs, etc but doing those things all day aggravated back and legs and made it impossible for me to enjoy my trip.

I could get up and walk just fine if I had been in the chair all day. Without that chair I would not have been able to visit the parks. I NEVER use a wheelchair anywhere else. Doesn't mean I'm a faker at WDW.

Bottom line: We don't know what's going on with people. Yes, people try to fake disabilities but all three members of my family have disabilities, yet we look "normal". You cannot tell just by looking. Assume the best about people is what I try to do. :)

I am sure people do this because of a disability but this was obvious that wasn't the case here. I didn't mention but after she knew her daughter was so loud she looked at me and said we do this every year. Its our lawn chair on wheels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter