Incentives for Purchase....

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
Currently on the Disney DVC website, there are incentives listed for Aulani and Riviera that are set to expire in October. What is the likelihood that these incentices will be retained? How are they likely to be altered for better or worse?

I am looking at DVC and am in the "likely to buy between 150 and 200 pts Resale" so I can get a 1BR for 5-7 nights. The thing that MAY entice me to buy direct is a good deal on Aulani as I am on the west coast and am likely to visit Aualni more than most DVC members.....

If sales are strong, the incentives may go away. If not, they may persist. Also keep in mind that incentives typically accompany a price hike - it's a way of smoothing things over and making people not feel bad about missing out on the lower price.

For what it's worth, I could not advocate buying Aulani direct under any circumstances. The resort has been actively marketed for 8 years and it still hasn't sold out. That should tell you something. Not to mention that you can easily get a resale contract for $80-100 less per point. I just don't see a reason to ever buy AUL direct. I think Disney has a real problem on their hands there.

Last edited:
No one knows for sure but IMO, when buying, whether resale or direct, decide if buying with current incentives makes you comfortable with what you are paying. If so, and ready to buy, then waiting for better could go the other way.

But, as already shared, you can get AUL on the resale market for a substantial discount. No incentive Disney could come up with in the future will match that.

Sorry to be another one to chime in with this, but even if you're on the west coast please don't buy Aulani direct. If you really only want to stay there then buy a resale contract. I'm actually staying there in a month and bookings are quite easy to make at 7 months with points from other resorts.

If you really want to buy direct, compare the prices (including incentives) with other "sold out" resorts. You should be able to buy cheaper direct points which will give you far more flexibility.

As I calculate it, with the current incentives Direct at Aulani is one of the better direct buy values (OK - getting on wait-list for SSR direct is probably cheaper). and while there is better availability at 7 months than other resorts, there may be some positives should I need to reserve the cheapest rooms at Aulani instead of a 1BR.

With all that SAID, the main reason for me buying direct is to be able to reserve at future resorts if they come on line. It is probably not enough to get me to buy direct, but it DOES figure into the equation.

As I calculate it, with the current incentives Direct at Aulani is one of the better direct buy values (OK - getting on wait-list for SSR direct is probably cheaper). and while there is better availability at 7 months than other resorts, there may be some positives should I need to reserve the cheapest rooms at Aulani instead of a 1BR.

With all that SAID, the main reason for me buying direct is to be able to reserve at future resorts if they come on line. It is probably not enough to get me to buy direct, but it DOES figure into the equation.
True, the incentives are phenomenal, but there's a reason for that. The delta between direct and resale is much more than it has been historically for actively marketed properties. Also, it's the one DVC resort that has seen its resale prices flatline or even drop during this crazy melt up that we've seen over the past few years. It's possible to get a triple loaded resale contract in the $90s, and that third year of points combined with the resale discount blows away any developer credit Disney is offering right now. I see your point about the incentives being better than the other resorts, but I think they're doing it just to get somewhat close.

All good information! My opinion is that one has to look at all aspects of a purchase and sometimes, cheaper isn’t necessarily the best choice with all considered, As you mention, future resorts can be important

I bought BLT in 2009 for about $5000 more than I could buy SSR on resale and the reason was to not worry about having to wait to 7 months in hope to get what I want. It was worth it to me.

For some, the direct benefits are worth spending extra money, even for peace of mind for ones future vacations! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter