In the Kitchen with Donald

The first rise the instructions said to let it double in size. That I did but maybe it was a tiny bit more than double. I kept checking it and it was very slowly going and then bam it filled the bowl right to the top. It then said to punch it down and let it rise again but didn't say how much to let it rise. It went very fast and doubled in size again. Did I let that rise too much? I'm also wondering if rolling out the dough killed something or putting it in the fridge over night before baking.

I will try posting the link but it's on my phone so I'll have to do that later.

*****I'm not a professional baker by any stretch of the imagination (even though I did have a home baking business, that didn't involve yeast products!) these are just tips i developed over the last 5 years or so of making all of our bread prodcuts.
OK, I've checked out the recipe and read your comments -- I LOVE that type of recipe when I'm trying out a new one, it's nice to see what it SHOULD look like, my personal bug-bear is one of those stupid comments "don't over mix" How on earth do I know how much is too much?? Seeing what they mean helps!

I don't know as I have ever made anything with yeast that calls for a double rising before shaping, even when using Dry Active Yeast (that's the "normal" stuff that needs to get a head start with a bit of proofing, water & sugar) I only let it rise once, punch it down, shape it and let it do the second rising in the pan.

Rolling the dough didn't hurt the yeast, when I made my bread I handle it a ton, pulling, rolling, folding until it's a perfect roll shape and that's fine.

Putting dough into the fridge for the 2nd rising is also perfectly fine, it allows for you to have fresh baked goods for breakie without getting up at 4 to start the process!

Which type of yeast did you use? Even with the standard yeast I only do one rising in the bowl before moving on to shaping. Rapid rise/quick yeast/instant whatever it's called can get added straight in with the dry ingredients and it actually can lose some of it's strength if you let it rise too much, you want it to just get puffy, not necessarily doubled before you punch it down. I like to use something that's see through, either a glass bowl or my fancy-pants dough bucket so i can check for bubbles along the bottom and side of the dough. Kinda like this picture, you can see it's gotten "puffy" and lots of bubble have formed.

Cause i can't stop when i meet a challenge I've done more poking around about cinnamon rolls.
Went to my go-to site for baking, all of my bread & cookie recipes come from them as well as a bunch of tips, I've never had a failure when I bake their stuff. They have about 12 different kinds of cinnabun type things and they all have just one proofing before shaping and placing in the pan. Not sure why the one for the Main Street Bakery mentions the double rising, the yeast only has so much oomph in it?

One other thing i forgot to mention is if you had too much flour in your dough it will throw the hydration ratio off and it won't rise well at all. Once i started weighing my ingredients instead of using measuring cups my results became consistent. Again, I don't think your rolls look bad at all but i know how frustrating it is to spend hours on something with an image in your mind of what you'll get to eat and then it misses the mark. You can always try again, like you said maybe not make so many, OR you could always freeze some for later!

Here's the website i was talking about. I love that they have blogs & videos of some of the recipes to help understand the ins & outs
KING ARTHUR BAKING

This is the cinnamon bun recipe I use. I never fails me. It is makes the most delicious, sweet, tender and fluffy dough EVER!!!!!! I always get rave reviews when I use this dough recipe. I do not use the filling recipe though. I do make the dough in my bread maker...and it turns out perfect every time. Do not be alarmed at how stiff it is. Once it rises after you have formed it into the rolls...it bakes up like a dream.

For my filling, I just put a nice layer of butter/marg over the whole surface of the rolled out dough. Put a generous layer of brown sugar...and then sprinkle cinnamon all over the top. roll it up, and cut into individual buns. I can determine how thick or thin I want them. I also for extra ooeeeyyy goodness, I put s light layer of butter and brown sugar on the bottom on my pans BEFORE I put the rolls into the pan to rise. My buns are NOT for the faint of heart :rolleyes1

Now I will be making cinnamon buns over the weekend. I am finally getting the fall itch to get some baking done!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20156/clone-of-a-cinnabon/

So I cut the left over buns in half and put them in the freezer. I just took out a piece to have with my tea. I took out the wonky little end piece from the roll that I only tossed in the baking pan because there was an open corner. This after thought of a roll is fluffy and what I was expecting from all of them. I wonder if the pans had no space for the rolls to fluff up??? None of the rest of them are like this one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter