I'm paying how much a night and I can't take a shower? My recent poor service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the actual equipment is not safe. I'm guessing it might not have those same issues if it was used in a properly set up HA room.
Then I'll amend my statement to be more clear...if the equipment is unsafe in the manner in which Disney is providing the equipment (i.e. providing it in a non-accessible room when it is only supposed to be used in an accessible room), then Disney needs to know about that and Disney needs to address that situation.

The OP clearly had a reasonable expectation of being able to reserve a non-accessible room and still be accommodated based on her previous on property experience. If the situation had changed because equipment had changed across the property (which is suggested by the fact that Poly no longer had this equipment either), then again that's nothing any guest could know and it's Disney's responsibility to address.

I think I've read shorter novels than that OP. I admire any complaints agent with the patience to wade through all the irrelevant, extraneous........verbiage. And very glad the OP at least bolded the part where they actually started to get to the point, even though that was still buried in too much unnecessary detail.

Still not sure why she chose to post this on the Theme Parks board, instead of either the resort or disabilitiest board, where it belongs.

Given the OPs handicaps, she should have booked a HA room to start with, on her first visit to the Poly. The fact that the Poly was able to accommodate her was pure luck.

When problems arise with free amenities and services, Disney's usual response is simply to withdraw those options. Period. Given her complaints about the WL not being able to meet her needs, I think it likely that Disney will alter their practices. Specifically, that toilet seat risers and shower stools will likely no longer be available for regular rooms and guests will be directed to either book a HA room or rent their adaptive equipment from an off site agency.

On future stays, perhaps the OP will take one of those 2 routes to avoid the problems she encountered. Hopefully those free nights at the WL will be in a HA room.

Then I'll amend my statement to be more clear...if the equipment is unsafe in the manner in which Disney is providing the equipment (i.e. providing it in a non-accessible room when it is only supposed to be used in an accessible room), then Disney needs to know about that and Disney needs to address that situation.

The OP clearly had a reasonable expectation of being able to reserve a non-accessible room and still be accommodated based on her previous on property experience. If the situation had changed because equipment had changed across the property (which is suggested by the fact that Poly no longer had this equipment either), then again that's nothing any guest could know and it's Disney's responsibility to address.

Disney does not owe it to guests to provide the same services that were previously available (especially at a different resort). If the OP is booking a standard room and needs special equipment, she should arrange for that in advance. Are you expecting Disney would alert all guests that the equipment that used to be available at the Poly is not available at the WL?

I think a well-meaning CM just made a mistake trying to help in this manner. I'm pretty sure that a higher-up would have told them not to do it. The fact that it happened to work out for the OP at the Poly was probably more coincidence than policy. Bottom line is I think it is a mistake (and a liability) for Disney to try to accommodate a handicapped person in a non-HA room.

Disney does not owe it to guests to provide the same services that were previously available (especially at a different resort).

That's actually not what I said. What I said was that if the situation had changed, and the services that she had received previously were no longer an option, then it is Disney's responsibility to inform the guest of new policies at check in when the equipment was requested.

If the OP is booking a standard room and needs special equipment, she should arrange for that in advance. Are you expecting Disney would alert all guests that the equipment that used to be available at the Poly is not available at the WL?
And again - according to the OP's post, the equipment that the OP used previously is no longer available at Poly either, which suggests a property wide change. Yes, if there is a property wide change in the accommodations that Disney is able to provide, then I do expect that they should inform guests who request those accommodations of that fact at check-in.

That's actually not what I said. What I said was that if the situation had changed, and the services that she had received previously were no longer an option, then it is Disney's responsibility to inform the guest of new policies at check in when the equipment was requested.

How would a check-in agent at the WL possibly know what equipment the OP had previously used at the Poly? It is totally unreasonable to expect them to have any idea about that.

And again - according to the OP's post, the equipment that the OP used previously is no longer available at Poly either, which suggests a property wide change. Yes, if there is a property wide change in the accommodations that Disney is able to provide, then I do expect that they should inform guests who request those accommodations of that fact at check-in.

If I had to bet, I would bet that they still have the equipment at the Poly and they were either confused or tried to blow off the OP.

I'm not sure the actual equipment is not safe. I'm guessing it might not have those same issues if it was used in a properly set up HA room.

Well, but here's the rub. There are limited numbers of handicap accessible rooms. What happens when the number of guest requesting the rooms exceeds the number of rooms? The simple solution, really, is to put people like the OP in standard room and provide her with the assistive devices she needs, in this case a lifted seat for the toilet and a seat for the shower. If you cannot accommodate the fixtures of the room with the assistive equipment on hand, then that needs to be immediately communicated to the guest so they can make other arrangements or the guest should be guided through what his/her choices are based on their needs. If you offer lift seats for the toilet, then the need to safely lock onto the toilet. If you offer a seat for the shower, it needs to fit into the shower in a way that will allow MOST people to transfer.

How would a check-in agent at the WL possibly know what equipment the OP had previously used at the Poly? It is totally unreasonable to expect them to have any idea about that.

Again, if there is a property wide change in the accommodations that are able to be provided, then yes, that is absolutely something reasonable to expect a check in agent to know. I have not once said that the check in agent should have known what equipment the OP had previously used.

If I had to bet, I would bet that they still have the equipment at the Poly and they were either confused or tried to blow off the OP.
I would be willing to bet the same. That's still on Disney and not the OP (especially the latter "blow off" option).

I find this likely as well as they probably try and avoid "sharing" resources across resorts like that. So, they transfer all the good seats away from the Poly, or whatever, and then there are none at the Poly and they have to work to transfer everything back. It would be a pain in the butt. However, I think confusion probably did play a roll. These are lay people. They have a general understanding (lift seat, shower seat) but as to specifics? I bet most of them don't have a clue.

Again, if there is a property wide change in the accommodations that are able to be provided, then yes, that is absolutely something reasonable to expect a check in agent to know. I have not once said that the check in agent should have known what equipment the OP had previously used.

- There is no evidence that there is a property wide change
- If there were a property wide change, it is just in the brand / model of equipment.

What conversation are you imagining? "Hi guest. Just to let you know, the equipment you have requested is a different brand than we used to use". seriously? have you ever had that response to anything you've asked for at a hotel?

Right. Which is just bad business particularly since this is an easily remedied problem. If they're going to provide the devices, they have to provide safe devices.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. HA rooms are set up a very specific way. Jury-rigging another room seems like a bad idea. Just like at a concert, there are only xx number of HA seats. They rarely get completely sold, and are then released to the general public. The reality is, there is likely a surplus of HA rooms. Because they can also be used by everyone, they don't have to sit unused if the demand isn't there. You hear far more complaints about people that get HA rooms that don't want them then vice-versa.

I think I've read shorter novels than that OP. I admire any complaints agent with the patience to wade through all the irrelevant, extraneous........verbiage. And very glad the OP at least bolded the part where they actually started to get to the point, even though that was still buried in too much unnecessary detail.

Still not sure why she chose to post this on the Theme Parks board, instead of either the resort or disabilitiest board, where it belongs.

Given the OPs handicaps, she should have booked a HA room to start with, on her first visit to the Poly. The fact that the Poly was able to accommodate her was pure luck.

When problems arise with free amenities and services, Disney's usual response is simply to withdraw those options. Period. Given her complaints about the WL not being able to meet her needs, I think it likely that Disney will alter their practices. Specifically, that toilet seat risers and shower stools will likely no longer be available for regular rooms and guests will be directed to either book a HA room or rent their adaptive equipment from an off site agency.

On future stays, perhaps the OP will take one of those 2 routes to avoid the problems she encountered. Hopefully those free nights at the WL will be in a HA room.
The reason I booked a regular room at the Poly is because I did my homework first. I called and explained what I needed. They said a regular room would be fine and they would deliver he equipment when we arrived.
Again when I booked WL, I asked again and was told the exact same thing. Call housekeeping when you get there.

It was not luck at all. It was prior planning and calling ahead.

Disney does not owe it to guests to provide the same services that were previously available (especially at a different resort). If the OP is booking a standard room and needs special equipment, she should arrange for that in advance. Are you expecting Disney would alert all guests that the equipment that used to be available at the Poly is not available at the WL?
Actually you cannot order them in advance. You are instructed to call housekeeping when you arrive.

The reason I booked a regular room at the Poly is because I did my homework first. I called and explained what I needed. They said a regular room would be fine and they would deliver he equipment when we arrived.
Again when I booked WL, I asked again and was told the exact same thing. Call housekeeping when you get there.

It was not luck at all. It was prior planning and calling ahead.

Well, that is not the impression I got at all from your OP. You would have probably been better off explaining it that way in your email to Disney. Much simpler and to the point.

- There is no evidence that there is a property wide change
- If there were a property wide change, it is just in the brand / model of equipment.

What conversation are you imagining? "Hi guest. Just to let you know, the equipment you have requested is a different brand than we used to use". seriously? have you ever had that response to anything you've asked for at a hotel?

I'm imagining:

"I see you've booked a non-accessible room. Unfortunately our equipment is no longer able to be used in a non-accessible room. Insert something along the lines of one of these options:
  • we will need to transfer you to an accessible room to use our equipment' or
  • (if they had no accessible rooms) ' we will be happy to transfer your reservation to a resort that has an accessible room available.' OR
  • Our concierge would be happy to help you locate the phone number to a local medical equipment rental company that can provide the equipment you need
The last one is less likely for a multitude of reasons, I fully acknowledge. None of that is unreasonable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter