I'm paying how much a night and I can't take a shower? My recent poor service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that an obvious conclusion? I stayed perfectly fine at the Poly 6 weeks earlier in a standard room. Their adpative equipment was more than adequate and safe. This was not. In fact I have poor balance so I walk in shower would be more dangerous for me.

To me that would have been the solution after the first options didn't work simply because of need. In a roll in shower you could have put the shower stool in the shower and roll to transfer then have your husband remove your chair. I also believe the toilets there are already raised. Yes it isn't something you wanted but it seems like it could have better helped the situation.

It was obvious that their adaptive equipment was not sufficient for you. You have now stated in this thread both that you have good balance and that you have poor balance.
I was perfectly sufficient at the Poly. It was not at the Wilderness Lodge. Thus the topic of this post.
My balance is better but not perfect. I was referencing getting on and off the toilet. Yes, I can do that fairly well (I will also draw you a picture if you want). Anyone who couldn't apply pressure equally with both hands would likely fall over. This is far different that standing in a slippery wet shower. My balance is definitely not there yet.

"I spent 28 days in the hospital and have been diagnosed with a nerve disorder that effects my balance and stamina. I’m learning to walk again, but it’s a process."

I'm confused. If the OP is handicapped, why didn't they book a handicapped room? There is a reason they exist. This is it.

That is horrible. I'd agree that for the amount of money involved you'd think a shower and toilet would be a lock.

I will say though they the person you spoke to is 100% right that companies are recommended to not offer accommodations unless the individual makes the specific request. I know it seems like an offer would be seen as being helpful but as noted to some it's seen as discriminatory and lawsuits have been filed because of this. It's sad but it's modern America.

Going forward, I believe I would bring my own equipment and reserve an accessible room. Especially, if you are the driving type I just would not even leave this to chance any more. I am one that brings my own toilet paper though so its what is most important and easiest for you. I am sorry this happened to you because that certainly is quite the hassle on vacation. I hope that you do hear back and at least have your concerns actually validated. It is only a matter of time before someone really hurts themselves. Enjoy your 2 days at WL on your next visit.

I was perfectly sufficient at the Poly. It was not at the Wilderness Lodge. Thus the topic of this post.
My balance is better but not perfect. I was referencing getting on and off the toilet. Yes, I can do that fairly well (I will also draw you a picture if you want). Anyone who couldn't apply pressure equally with both hands would likely fall over. This is far different that standing in a slippery wet shower. My balance is definitely not there yet.

Yes, understood. Your basic complaint is that the WL doesn't have the same equipment that the Poly had. Once that was clear, then it was obvious that room wouldn't work for you. Banging your head against the wall and repeatedly saying you want what the Poly had was clearly not going to work.

Yes, understood. Your basic complaint is that the WL doesn't have the same equipment that the Poly had. Once that was clear, then it was obvious that room wouldn't work for you. Banging your head against the wall and repeatedly saying you want what the Poly had was clearly not going to work.
Where you there? Is that where the youtube footage of my head banging came from? You should have at least said Hi.
I don't really consider letting them know which model of equipment I wanted head banging. I complained and it became very clear that there was no solution available. I dealt with it. No yelling, no crying in public. I just accepted it for what it was and knew I would call when I got home.

That's an awfully long letter to send to customer service. I worked in customer service for 20+ years, and no one wants to read all that non-pertinent information. It shouldn't matter to a company whether it's your first time as a customer or your millionth. Good luck getting whatever it is you want resolved resolved.

Actually, per my own experience writing to Disney, I disagree. On occasions when I *haven't* detailed how loyal of a customer we have been over the years, I get a much more generic response (if any response at all). Each time I've written an e-mail and started on a positive note, I've received personal phone calls from Guest Relations to discuss the problem (and in situations where warranted, a solution was found).

Perhaps in other businesses no one really cares or it doesn't make a difference, but in my personal experience in writing to Disney (only discussing my personal experience), it absolutely has made a difference.

It sounds like they either need to make the equipment standard at all resorts, or remove them and tell guests they need to book HA rooms. Equipment that doesn't properly work should not be the solution.

Once you were informed you couldn't get the same equipment they had at the Poly, repeatedly asking for it seems counter productive. Asking for something they can't get you makes you seem less like a guest in need and more like a pest, sorry. A HA room would have been better, but as has been explained by another poster, I can understand why they would be loathe to suggest it.

On the bright side at least now you know the equipment is not standard and can either bring your own, have it delivered, or book HA rooms.

I think the best thing in this situation is to make arrangements in advance for this equipment. A lot of medical equipment can be delivered to the hotel.

Where you there? Is that where the youtube footage of my head banging came from? You should have at least said Hi.
I don't really consider letting them know which model of equipment I wanted head banging. I complained and it became very clear that there was no solution available. I dealt with it. No yelling, no crying in public. I just accepted it for what it was and knew I would call when I got home.

Letting them know you want a model of equipment they don't have is not in any way productive.

Just a tip for the future.

Whenever you send an email as long and all over the place as this you sound like a crazy person. This makes it easy for the customer service rep to dismiss you as a ranting crazy person and assume that you were in the wrong. Not saying you are crazy or insulting you at all, but I can tell that whoever reads this letter will likely get that impression.

Keep your emails well edited, short, and to the point. Also threatening the business is not a great strategy.

The OP clearly should have been in an accessible room. I'm really surprised that neither side came up with that obvious conclusion at any point along the way.

Exactly. If you NEED a toilet riser and a shower chair, YOU NEED AN ACCESSIBLE ROOM. They are not just for "people in wheelchairs". I get that it's tough to accept that things may have changed in what you need, but sometimes that happens.

Actually, in her post the OP stated:
Back down again in the morning and I was more careful to explain I wanted the model that I had used at the Poly 6 weeks ago. Ok they would look into it. Home again that night – same chair and another sink bath for me. Starting to feel like I am back in the hospital… Down again the next morning and the manager was called out. Apparently they called the Poly and they do not have those chairs anymore. This is the only model

Which would indicate that the previous, purportedly safer, equipment was not available at all. It wouldn't have mattered if they were at WL or at Poly again.

If Disney provides the equipment at all, the equipment they provide needs to be safe. If it's not safe, then Disney needs to know about it, and yes it is their responsibility to fix that. If the argument is that the OP should have just been in an accessible room and Disney shouldn't be providing that equipment in non-accessible rooms, then that's still a problem that's Disney's responsibility to address, as they should have said to her when she requested the equipment at check in that the equipment was rated for use in accessible rooms only. There's no way the OP could have known something like that (if that were the case) when she checked in, and it's Disney's responsibility to know where their equipment is safe to use and where it isn't.

If Disney provides the equipment at all, the equipment they provide needs to be safe. If it's not safe, then Disney needs to know about it, and yes it is their responsibility to fix that. If the argument is that the OP should have just been in an accessible room and Disney shouldn't be providing that equipment in non-accessible rooms, then that's still a problem that's Disney's responsibility to address, as they should have said to her when she requested the equipment at check in that the equipment was rated for use in accessible rooms only. There's no way the OP could have known something like that (if that were the case) when she checked in, and it's Disney's responsibility to know where their equipment is safe to use and where it isn't.

I don't think anyone would disagree with anything you say here. The question is what to do when it became clear they didn't have the right equipment. This is where the OP pursued a number of unproductive paths.

Actually, in her post the OP stated:

Which would indicate that the previous, purportedly safer, equipment was not available at all. It wouldn't have mattered if they were at WL or at Poly again.

Agreed. I think Disney's biggest mistake in this was trying to accommodate this situation when they weren't properly equipped to. I understand they want to help the guest, but in this case, I think they should not have tried if they can't do it right.

I don't think anyone would disagree with anything you say here. The question is what to do when it became clear they didn't have the right equipment. This is where the OP pursued a number of unproductive paths.
As others have said, I'm not sure what other path there was to pursue other than asking for an accessible room, and I doubt there were any accessible rooms available at WL over the time period of her trip, considering that's the single busiest week of the year. I understand why the OP gave up trying, and I also understand why she's following up form home. If their equipment is unsafe, as is described here, then Disney *needs* to be aware of that and Disney needs to address it.

As others have said, I'm not sure what other path there was to pursue other than asking for an accessible room, and I doubt there were any accessible rooms available at WL over the time period of her trip, considering that's the single busiest week of the year. I understand why the OP gave up trying, and I also understand why she's following up form home. If their equipment is unsafe, as is described here, then Disney *needs* to be aware of that and Disney needs to address it.

I'm not sure the actual equipment is not safe. I'm guessing it might not have those same issues if it was used in a properly set up HA room.

OP, I am so sorry this happened to you. I cannot imagine the emotions through. For that, I want to hug you.

It seems a solution that could have been offered would be to get you the phone number of a medical supply rental company. I doubt Disney could rent it for you due to liability, but they could offer you a room credit equal to the cost of renting.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter