I'm on low-income

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago526 said:
I choose in my previous post to mean that she want's help to get her costs for the trip as low as possible.

And I choose to believe that as well. ::yes:: So let's not turn against a new member when what they have posted could be read in different ways.

pweyl36 said:
O.K. FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to
save for disney? Isn't there other important things to save for than disney?

Although your statement DOES make some sense pweyl36, just because a person is on welfare/SSI doesn't mean that they don't have the right to plan for a WDW trip if it makes them happy. Some people CAN get ahead and some people can't, but I think everyone deserves a chance to go to WDW if they think they can. Besides, OP probably wants to go because OP's tired of worrying about everything else.

On the flip side, I hope the OP really wasn't trying to get a hand out, because if we have to work hard and save for our WDW trips, what makes them think that they don't have to. I think she meant advice but couldn't phrase it correctly. :surfweb:

tdickensheets.

I think it would be realistic to try to go to Disney in 2007 or 2008. Then you can save up enough to go.

I'd suggest making a budget to see if you can afford to put a set dollar amount away each month.
We save our spare change toward Disney.

Can you list things on ebay? How about having a yard sale or selling things at a local flea market or swap meet?

We saved for 5 years to be able to go to WDW the first time as a family. We had enough money left over to go again the following year.

Just remember, saving little bits at a time may seem like not very much, but over time it adds up. Then you'll have a fantastic trip.

Good luck!!!

I live in WA too and because of the distance - go rarely. I went in 1990 and again in 2001. We have a good income, it's just not something we consider ourselves able to afford often. I really don't know anyone IRL that goes in any regular fashion. It is not unusual in my circle of friends (again, all people with pretty good incomes) to spend several years planning and saving for a trip to WDW. I think when we read these boards it's easy to get caught up in "everyone else is going, why can't I?" and "everyone else stays on site" and "everyone else eats at nice restaurants there"....

It's a bummer living far from such a great vacation destination, but it is what it is. It simply isn't as easy budgetwise for us to get there as those that live within a few hour drive. If you're determined to go despite your income challenges, just start saving a little bit each month by cutting costs and then find the cheapest flight and accomodations possible.

pweyl36 said:
O.K. :furious: FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to save for disney? Isn't there other important things to save for than disney?

SSI is not welfare. It is run by Social Security. The program is different, the qualifications are different. SSI is a long term social security benefit for those who are disabled and have not earned enough for SSDI.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way... but I know people that are on SSI that do not work 3 or 4 days a week and they have $400-$500 a month left after paying all their bills... that is more than a lot of people here on the dis... If you're looking for tips to save money you are at the right place, but if you're looking for a hand out, I seriously hope you were joking or trying to see what kind of reaction you would get.

lindakmonty said:
I'm not trying to be rude in any way... but I know people that are on SSI that do not work 3 or 4 days a week and they have $400-$500 a month left after paying all their bills... that is more than a lot of people here on the dis... If you're looking for tips to save money you are at the right place, but if you're looking for a hand out, I seriously hope you were joking or trying to see what kind of reaction you would get.
::yes::

:offtopic:

meloneyb21,
I love reading your posts. Everytime I see your little girl's pic. it makes me smile. I even had to show it to my DH who doesn't read the Dis. :)

Partially, back on topic..... I had no idea what SSI was. I'm glad someone cleared that up. It's a shame to give someone a hard time over something we don't fully understand.

tarheelmjfan said:
meloneyb21,
I love reading your posts. Everytime I see your little girl's pic. it makes me smile. I even had to show it to my DH who doesn't read the Dis.
OH....Thank You pixiedust: princess:

dvcgirl said:
I'm not so sure the OP was looking for advice. Sounds more like the OP was looking for actual contributions to his or her "like to go to Walt Disney World Fund". I could be wrong, but that's how I read it initially....

That is what I thought as well.

I guess I didn't know what SSI was. I thought it was like disability and the poster could only work 3 days a week due to that disability!

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
SSI is not welfare. It is run by Social Security. The program is different, the qualifications are different. SSI is a long term social security benefit for those who are disabled and have not earned enough for SSDI.

not to add fuel to the fire, but tech. (according to federal regulations and definitions) ssi is an 'entitlement' based welfare program-that's why in addition to being elderly or disabled without sufficient quarters to qualify for ss retirement or disability the recipeint does have to meet additional income and assett eligibility standards (thats why lots of disabled kids whose parents earn not much above minimum wage do not qualify for the program-the minimal income and assetts they own disqualify them). ssi, unlike other forms of disability is a program in which your eligibility is "looked at" on a day to day eligibility basis-ineligible one day/ineligible the entire month. for years it was administered through state or county "welfare" departments until it became more cost effective for ss administration to take over.

ceecee said:
I guess I didn't know what SSI was. I thought it was like disability and the poster could only work 3 days a week due to that disability!

you can and are encouraged to work, but it there is a cap to how much you can earn and if too much it is budgeted against your grant. workers are also trained to follow trends in work habits to see if a person should be weaned or totaly cut off the program because of their work history (just cuz your doc sez you can't work does'nt mean ss doc's say you cant).

Well, Op, where are you, what did you mean?? If you were looking for a handout. I dont think you will be likely to find it here. I love to go on vacations. But, basically am on a fixed income, and I work very hard, 5 days a week. Saute cook, in a 125 degree kitchen. No lie, for pennies to the dollar. I do however have compassion for you, and your family. The best advice is save up, every penny and. Try to go, when you can get the free dining plan. :wave2:

Wow. I'm impressed with how quickly everyone here at the friendly Disboards chose to flame someone without complete knowledge of the situation. I suppose they could have been asking for a handout, but honestly, I doubt it. I simply read they wanted advice on how to make a trip work as cheaply as possible. I really don't think anyone has the right to judge others or their circumstances and I recently stopped visiting a similar forum because the people there felt it was okay to pick others apart. I'm not like that and I don't like to associate with people like that so I sincerely hope that what I've read on this thread was written in haste with little forethought because I would hate to think of my disfriends that way. Now, does anyone have any real advice for this person, or just more flames?

there is a tremendous amount of excellent advice in this thread, both on how to cut back on expenses to save for, and have a less costly wdw trip.

Well said LittleMotherHaywood! That's the one thing I dislike about boards/forums and MSN and such. IT is SOOOOO EASY to misconstrue what the meaning behind the post because you cant hear the inflection in their voice. I think we should all take a little more time before flaming to find out pertinent information and not jump to conclusions.

pweyl36 said:
O.K. :furious: FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to
save for disney? Isn't there other important things to save for than disney?
are you saying that poor people should not have the same opertunity as others? :scared1:

mommiepoppins said:
are you saying that poor people should not have the same opertunity as others? :scared1:

If you are living off of tax payers yes. If you lost your job would you worry about doing disney on a budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter