Illuminations in 2017

d-train

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if Illuminations will continue in 2017?

Looks like ADRs end at the end of December this year - then there are no dates...

My 180 date is Wednesday... just trying to plan to make the plan - LOL!

Thanks all!

Edit - I did mean the dessert party - but all this talk of a new show is great!!
Definately time for a new show... At HS too in my opinion. Fantasmic and Illuminations...without the party attached, I'd rather hit up Soaring during the show. Glad the Star Wars fireworks were open when we went in June too!

Last edited:
Illuminations or Illuminations dessert party???
There is absolutely no reason to even think Illuminations will not be here in 2017.
The Illumination dessert party is a different story. They have been late in releasing availability. It wasn't available for the longest time for our trip next week, now it is.
No one knows about that for sure, until Disney does something?

The new lagoon show that will replace Illuminations is definitely coming - the design is done and just waiting for the OK to start construction. But that is very unlikely to happen in '17, with so much other capacity down across the property.
I would be surprised to see it happen before at least one of the new developments at the Studios is open, since it will mean parts of the lagoon are drained and screened off for several months.

The new lagoon show that will replace Illuminations is definitely coming - the design is done and just waiting for the OK to start construction. But that is very unlikely to happen in '17, with so much other capacity down across the property.
I would be surprised to see it happen before at least one of the new developments at the Studios is open, since it will mean parts of the lagoon are drained and screened off for several months.

So what you're saying is this will be drastically different from Illuminations in such a way that it can't be replaced in a week or two? Interesting.

My understanding is that involves installing a good deal of underwater plumbing, along the lines of what is used in World of Color at DCA. (To avoid any misunderstanding - they are NOT bringing WoC to Epcot, but the new show would make use of similar technology. If you're familiar with Fantasmic, think next-generation water effects.)

My understanding is that involves installing a good deal of underwater plumbing, along the lines of what is used in World of Color at DCA. (To avoid any misunderstanding - they are NOT bringing WoC to Epcot, but the new show would make use of similar technology. If you're familiar with Fantasmic, think next-generation water effects.)
Are they still looking at using the drone technology that they have been trying to get approval for?

Oh wow! I had no idea! We will make sure to watch next October, but will be very excited for a new show when we go back! :) (after Star Wars Land opens)

Awww, I didn't know IllumiNations is going to be replaced. I finally saw it for the first time this Easter, and I was planning to see it December 2017. Kind of makes me sad to think of it leaving (it was our last night of our trip, so it's a final, fond memory of WDW), but I'm sure whatever replaces it will be amazing.

Awww, I didn't know IllumiNations is going to be replaced. I finally saw it for the first time this Easter, and I was planning to see it December 2017. Kind of makes me sad to think of it leaving (it was our last night of our trip, so it's a final, fond memory of WDW), but I'm sure whatever replaces it will be amazing.

It's not necessarily "leaving," regardless.

What is playing right now is just the latest VERSION of the show called "IllumiNations."
The current version is called, "IllumiNations,Reflections of Earth."
It began running in late 1999, in celebration of the turning of the millennium.

There have been many other versions of IllumiNations at Epcot over the years.
Always an enjoyable and worthwhile show!

Are they still looking at using the drone technology that they have been trying to get approval for?

Does epcot actually need approval? @Robo do you have a map that shows the no fly zone? I always thought it was centered around MK as you can see helicopter tours buzzing around the other parks. Then again commercial use of the drones you do have more to do around flying them.

Like you, I've hear talk of this from multiple places. But I don't have anything either concrete or recent. The most recent thing I heard was that the drone idea was being more talked about for the update to the Water Pageant.

Does epcot actually need approval?
At a minimum, they need approval from Disney legal, who allegedly had a fit when they first heard about a concept that had drones flying directly over guests. (Anyone wondering why we never saw the flying dragon again at MK?)

(Anyone wondering why we never saw the flying dragon again at MK?)

Because it's for avatar that isn't opened yet. I forget the article but it was spotted since then (several of them actually). at least the flight system was spotted, not sure if they were fully setup yet. I'm also not sure if there was a direct link that's what they are for.

Like you, I've hear talk of this from multiple places. But I don't have anything either concrete or recent. The most recent thing I heard was that the drone idea was being more talked about for the update to the Water Pageant.
Interesting. I know the parents specifically had Epcot's lagoon in them. Glad they are looking into upgrading the water pageant though.

Because it's for avatar that isn't opened yet. I forget the article but it was spotted since then (several of them actually). at least the flight system was spotted, not sure if they were fully setup yet. I'm also not sure if there was a direct link that's what they are for.
The flying dragon hasn't been used since. How do you know they are going to use it for avatar?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter