If your child is injured at school, does the school pay the medical bills?

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
My son was injured in gym class at school today. He got kicked in the hand and cannot move his thumb. Right now we are at the "ice and it and see what happens" stage, but he may end up in the ER for an x-ray. Does anyone know if the school will pay for the medical bills since it happened during the school day, or does our insurance pay for it? :confused3

I would think that unless there was some negligence on the school's part it would be something you would have your own insurance cover. Good Luck and hopefully the ice will help and you won't need the trip to the ER!

I know in our district, they offer a supplemental medical policy at the beginning of the school year to cover accidents in school if you want it; otherwise, you use your own insurance.

It would be your insurance. Injuries during sports, including gym, are normal. Also I'd go typo an urgent care center and not an ER because it's cheaper and quicker.

If you do end up at the ER expect that you will get a letter/phone call asking about how and where the injury happened. Your insurance should pay for the claim unless you state that you are suing the school or the child that injured him.

Ours definitely does not. At the beginning of the year, we are encouraged to pay a small amount for insurance for our children, in case they get hurt at school, because the school is not responsible. We have good health insurance, so I never get this through the school, figuring our insurance would pay. ETA - I can't imagine going to the ER over a suspected broken thumb. Ds12 is a catcher, and has sprained his thumb many times, but I just wait a couple of days before bringing him to the ortho for xrays. I broke my pinky, and went a week before having it xrayed. It was found to be broken, and I got a splint (that's how I had been treating it on my own anyway).

My dd was tripped by another kid in gym class last year and smashed her face on the gym floor. It looked like she might lose her front tooth. The school nurse sent home a form with us when I went to pick her up for any medical expenses not covered by our insurance.

I think that was their way of saying please don't sue us.

Our DD got hurt in gym class last week. We were told by office staff the school would pay for the medical bills. DW did take her to the ER so they could get X-Rays (had bent her wrist back, wanted to make sure it wasn't broken). DW turned in her insurance card to the hospital when they checked out.

Bottom line, we'll let you know in 6 months when we get the paperwork. :P

My son was injured in gym class at school today. He got kicked in the hand and cannot move his thumb. Right now we are at the "ice and it and see what happens" stage, but he may end up in the ER for an x-ray. Does anyone know if the school will pay for the medical bills since it happened during the school day, or does our insurance pay for it? :confused3
Your insurance pays for it. And you pay the copays and deductibles. Injuries that do not occur due to negligence on the part of the school don't get paid by the school. And the parents of the child who injured him are not responsible either. It was an accident.

As I'm reading this and see the word negligence, since my daughter slipped on ice outside the gym door after a school basketball game, the school might have paid for the ER copay?

Your insurance pays for it. And you pay the copays and deductibles. Injuries that do not occur due to negligence on the part of the school don't get paid by the school. And the parents of the child who injured him are not responsible either. It was an accident.

I would think this. If your child was hurt playing kickball in the street in front of your home who would pay? Unfortunately, accidents happen.

I would think that unless there was some negligence on the school's part it would be something you would have your own insurance cover. Good Luck and hopefully the ice will help and you won't need the trip to the ER!

ITA

The kids I know who were injured in school did not get the medical bills paid by the school. It fell under their own health insurance.

I know in our district, they offer a supplemental medical policy at the beginning of the school year to cover accidents in school if you want it; otherwise, you use your own insurance.
That's exactly the same thing here in our school district.

My kid got hurt in gym class and when I went to pick him up they gave me a form to give to the doctor to bill the school's insurance for the claim even though I have private insurance. It must vary.

It probably depends on the district and it wouldnt hurt anyone to pick up the phone and ask. I know our schools offer their school insurance and are said to cover accidents while in school or school sports. But, my personal experience..

DD fell off bleachers once at school, broke arm, school didnt pay, but we didnt ask either.

DD fell off a piece of playground equipment, broke arm again (same playground equipment that I know 3 other kids broke a bone from) and the school called first and said she fell but is fine. She came home from school, and I could see something was terribly wrong. Went to ER and it was broke in 3 places. I called school next morning and informed them, they waited 3 weeks to call and check on her and that was it. Again, our insurance paid.

Neither of these times did I ask about them covering anything. But, since our DD3 always has a ton of medical expenses, we meet deductibile pretty quickly and it wasnt much out of pocket at all, under $100.

My bosses son broke his tibia in 3 places last week at school, tripped over a hula hoop they had on ground for a PE activity, as far as I know, they are paying OOP too, but they dont want to ask.

My daughter got hurt in gym class -- fractured the growth plate on her right ankle playing basketball. School didn't pay for anything. It was all our own insurance. When insurance asked for verification, I said school, but here school's don't pay.

OP here. Well, it's on ice and not swelling so I'm hopeful it's just bruising. Not because of the cost, but because he's right handed! Just to be sure, we made an appointment for tomorrow at the place where he had his arm operated on when it was broken six years ago.
I wasn't trying to get something out of the school, not interested in suing or anything, I was just wondering if they had insurance to cover things like this.
My middle school child said he's playing the same game, "hand ball" in gym and he doesn't want to be goalie because they don't have any protective gear and he's afraid he'll get hit in the face. Nice game. :sad2:

OP here. Well, it's on ice and not swelling so I'm hopeful it's just bruising. Not because of the cost, but because he's right handed! Just to be sure, we made an appointment for tomorrow at the place where he had his arm operated on when it was broken six years ago.
I wasn't trying to get something out of the school, not interested in suing or anything, I was just wondering if they had insurance to cover things like this.
My middle school child said he's playing the same game, "hand ball" in gym and he doesn't want to be goalie because they don't have any protective gear and he's afraid he'll get hit in the face. Nice game. :sad2:

I think this is unbelievable.

I don't think schools here pay unless there is negligence. With budgets the way they are, that would be a lot of money for schools to fork out. Kids get hurt all the time, usually it is tripping over themselves or someone else or falling off the play equipment.

OP, if they are playing sports without protective gear, I would make sure the school knows this. That could be considered negligence and they need to address it before they do get sued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!