If you were going to to join DVC all over again......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .

I personally have nothing wrong with you buying direct or financing. Your name "BestDadEver" says that you love your kids and that you want them to enjoy their life. If you choose to buy direct and/or finance to take your kids to WDW every year, I praise you for it. The smiles are part of the payoff!

I just think you need to let the resale pushers help people figure out the best way to decide. Most know about direct, and have to learn about the benefits of resale.

Direct sales are a good thing too...they keep the ship afloat!

I definitely think that Disney needs to either
1.) Change the mouse keeping policy regarding towels and amentities because it does not match travel industry norms. I do a lot of business travel. I am an Ambassador Platinum member with Intercontinental hotels meaning I spend a lot of nights on the road. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of nights I stay, usually a week at a time, housekeeping leaves me extra shampoo and conditioner every day, even if I don't need it. One hotel chain even has a commercial with a guest shoving so much shampoo and conditioner into a suitcase that it can't close. The commercial spokesperson says you deserve more rewards than just shampoo and conditioner. DVC is fighting that battle. I know people will say that DVC is not a hotel but a timeshare but many people see it as their lodging and want to compare it that way. Not that it is right but it is true.
2.) Train mouse keepers and guests on the policy. My sister recently stayed at a DVC resort on our points and while there called and asked me about more shampoo. I told her that there would be trash and tidy service but they may or may not leave shampoo but that they could purchase it. The next day she texted me saying that they were good as mouse keeping left several shampoo bottles for them. Maybe the policy needs to be emphasized at check in to both remind and inform those guest who don't know.
3.) Do away with all towels and amenities. Problem solved. Personally I hate this idea.
I vote idea #1, provide more towels, etc upon request with the full understanding that my dues will go up.

I don't know if anyone would call an interest rate of 10 to 14 percent a nominal fee. People have spelled out the numbers in other threads that those interest rates over the course of 5 to 10 years will effectively increase your price 50 to 100 percent over what you will pay using cash. So for the sake of the people who are trying to figure out if DVC works for them, don't dismiss those costs as pennies on the dollar.

I know this will probably get a rant about how you're always picked on in these threads, but the bottom line is there are people who are genuinely looking for information and they deserve facts. None of us "hate" direct buying. I just bought a contract direct and before I bought that VGF contract, I'd considered adding on BWV points before the price increase. I wanted a small contract and could pay cash for it. And I've said over and over again that there are circumstances in which buying directly through Disney makes sense. So this isn't an "I hate direct" rant by any stretch.

Dean created a whole **** storm buy bringing up the fact I mentioned I finance everything witch I do an am not ashamed of it . It's not just the DVC contract we were talking about . The finance rates vary . But it's is quite clear that we have different opinions on what's a lot of money . It's ok .

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I acutaly like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I think some of the regulars I mix it up with at least get where I am coming from and realize I am not trying to argue but discuss.

I definitely think that Disney needs to either
1.) Change the mouse keeping policy regarding towels and amentities because it does not match travel industry norms. I do a lot of business travel. I am an Ambassador Platinum member with Intercontinental hotels meaning I spend a lot of nights on the road. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of nights I stay, usually a week at a time, housekeeping leaves me extra shampoo and conditioner every day, even if I don't need it. One hotel chain even has a commercial with a guest shoving so much shampoo and conditioner into a suitcase that it can't close. The commercial spokesperson says you deserve more rewards than just shampoo and conditioner. DVC is fighting that battle. I know people will say that DVC is not a hotel but a timeshare but many people see it as their lodging and want to compare it that way. Not that it is right but it is true.....

DVC is not a hotel. Hotels are hotels and timeshares are timeshares. We pay for everything with our annual fees. You pay for everything in your hotel stay with your nightly bill.

Dean created a whole **** storm buy bringing up the fact I mentioned I finance everything witch I do an am not ashamed of it . It's not just the DVC contract we were talking about . The finance rates vary . But it's is quite clear that we have different opinions on what's a lot of money . It's ok .

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I acutaly like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I think some of the regulars I mix it up with at least get where I am coming from and realize I am not trying to argue but discuss.

To be fair, the jumping off point for this discussion was when you sarcastically referred to posters in this thread as "financial advisors" [sic].

With regards to what constitutes a lot of money, I don't think that's the crux of this argument. I think the issue at hand is your willingness to throw away money on interest and dismiss it as not a lot of money while at the same time you don't have the money to allocate to your DVC purchase without it depleting your savings. I think the discussion centers around the way in which money is viewed, and not necessarily its relative value.

Case in point...today while in a public restroom I saw a dollar bill on the floor. I did not pick it up because to me, the value of that dollar was not worth having to pick something up off of a dirty bathroom floor (I may have some germ issues). This is a relative argument. Someone who has little money would view this as a windfall. I have a relatively secure supply of dollar bills, so to me it was not worth the skeeve factor to pick it up. This is a spectrum that people can place themselves on when deciding whether or not they would pick up the dollar. No answer is right or wrong in the absolute sense, because the answer needs to take into consideration the net worth of the individual answering the question. What doesn't make sense is a person with no money choosing not to pick up the dollar because they deem it as not being worth it. That person has no money...this is money...it should be worth it.

Bring this back to our discussion. I don't know your financial state nor am I asking you to divulge it. But you have stated that although you could afford a direct DVC purchase, you chose to finance so that you could stay liquid. My inference, therefore, is that your supply of dollar bills is somewhat equal to the cost of a direct DVC purchase. If that's the case, then your willingness to pay between five and eight thousand dollars in interest over the course of your loan does not make sense to me, and it causes me to question how you view money. You can dismiss those interest charges as not being a lot of money, but I think you're wrong. You're either so filthy rich that it actually isn't a lot of money (in which case why are you financing DVC?) or you're not and it is a lot of money, and you're simply saying that it's not.

It was easy for me to dismiss that dollar bill on the floor because it is a relatively small percentage of my net worth (and it was gross). But the interest on a direct DVC purchase is a more sizable percentage, and it would be foolish of me to dismiss it.

I think this thread jumped off the track awhile back. I enjoyed reading what people would have done differently and so on earlier in the thread....

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I actually like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I get hate notes all the time because I am anti Disney, but I also have some people thank me for telling the truth good or bad. Sometimes the truth isn't popular and people want to live in a fantasy world.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom to live their life the way that they want to. The issue is that some of us are trying to educate based on our DVC knowledge, I don't think that any of us intend to put anyone down for having a contrary opinion.

I try to present the facts and let the readers do what they want. We have purchased resale, we have purchased direct, we have financed, we have paid cash. Most of my advice is based on issues that we have had or mistakes that I made. Buying resale will always be less expensive but in some cases buying direct can make sense. Paying cash will save you some money but not everyone has the cash and they want their DVC now. They will pay a premium for doing so, but that's their business.

Buying a DVC interest can be overwhelming, even after doing your homework and reading the same answers to the same questions over and over, people will tell me things like, "now I understand what you meant about UY's", or "I thought that you just didn't like Disney but I have had so many problems since we bought that I now understand what you were talking about" and this one is common, "I wish that we had taken the time to buy at our favorite resort, booking there is a challenge".

I did a study using BCV 300 point contract for 30 years and what I expect to pay if kept full term with a WDW vacation every year. I think the total money spent on Disney and travel was $250,000 plus. That's a whole lot of money and many of our DVC friends have no Idea what they are getting into.

The DIS is a great place to share info and pass the time. We all have the same goal in mind, we sometimes just take different paths to get there.

:earsboy: Bill

Back to the question from the OP, if I could go back and do it again, I would get put on the wait list for the resort I really wanted. We were told there were only 2 resorts available, and we never looked any farther than that. Now I know that isn't true!

I also would have bought more points...

To be fair, the jumping off point for this discussion was when you sarcastically referred to posters in this thread as "financial advisors" [sic].

With regards to what constitutes a lot of money, I don't think that's the crux of this argument. I think the issue at hand is your willingness to throw away money on interest and dismiss it as not a lot of money while at the same time you don't have the money to allocate to your DVC purchase without it depleting your savings. I think the discussion centers around the way in which money is viewed, and not necessarily its relative value.

Case in point...today while in a public restroom I saw a dollar bill on the floor. I did not pick it up because to me, the value of that dollar was not worth having to pick something up off of a dirty bathroom floor (I may have some germ issues). This is a relative argument. Someone who has little money would view this as a windfall. I have a relatively secure supply of dollar bills, so to me it was not worth the skeeve factor to pick it up. This is a spectrum that people can place themselves on when deciding whether or not they would pick up the dollar. No answer is right or wrong in the absolute sense, because the answer needs to take into consideration the net worth of the individual answering the question. What doesn't make sense is a person with no money choosing not to pick up the dollar because they deem it as not being worth it. That person has no money...this is money...it should be worth it.

Bring this back to our discussion. I don't know your financial state nor am I asking you to divulge it. But you have stated that although you could afford a direct DVC purchase, you chose to finance so that you could stay liquid. My inference, therefore, is that your supply of dollar bills is somewhat equal to the cost of a direct DVC purchase. If that's the case, then your willingness to pay between five and eight thousand dollars in interest over the course of your loan does not make sense to me, and it causes me to question how you view money. You can dismiss those interest charges as not being a lot of money, but I think you're wrong. You're either so filthy rich that it actually isn't a lot of money (in which case why are you financing DVC?) or you're not and it is a lot of money, and you're simply saying that it's not.

It was easy for me to dismiss that dollar bill on the floor because it is a relatively small percentage of my net worth (and it was gross). But the interest on a direct DVC purchase is a more sizable percentage, and it would be foolish of me to dismiss it.

I think I am somewhere in between your argument here . I really don't think it's a lot of money . But I am not filthy rich . I understand that it costs almost double the purchase price if I go full term . But I am not going to go full term , I know this cause I don't go full term on anything . So as I would feel and agree when it's said that financing for the full term is a bad idea I agree . I actually usually state I like financing if you plan to pay it off early .

I get hate notes all the time because I am anti Disney, but I also have some people thank me for telling the truth good or bad. Sometimes the truth isn't popular and people want to live in a fantasy world.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom to live their life the way that they want to. The issue is that some of us are trying to educate based on our DVC knowledge, I don't think that any of us intend to put anyone down for having a contrary opinion.

I try to present the facts and let the readers do what they want. We have purchased resale, we have purchased direct, we have financed, we have paid cash. Most of my advice is based on issues that we have had or mistakes that I made. Buying resale will always be less expensive but in some cases buying direct can make sense. Paying cash will save you some money but not everyone has the cash and they want their DVC now. They will pay a premium for doing so, but that's their business.

Buying a DVC interest can be overwhelming, even after doing your homework and reading the same answers to the same questions over and over, people will tell me things like, "now I understand what you meant about UY's", or "I thought that you just didn't like Disney but I have had so many problems since we bought that I now understand what you were talking about" and this one is common, "I wish that we had taken the time to buy at our favorite resort, booking there is a challenge".

I did a study using BCV 300 point contract for 30 years and what I expect to pay if kept full term with a WDW vacation every year. I think the total money spent on Disney and travel was $250,000 plus. That's a whole lot of money and many of our DVC friends have no Idea what they are getting into.

The DIS is a great place to share info and pass the time. We all have the same goal in mind, we sometimes just take different paths to get there.

:earsboy: Bill

I am not saying just you but it seems that apparently a few people that got duped buy direct sales or bought with little info . Has created an environment where now anytime anyone buys you guys just assume they know nothing about and are complete idiots and need to have there hand held about everything .

Listen I think the advice is good advice . It just seems out of place to me . I think someone at this point in there life dosn't need to be told something's as simple as interest cost money ect . Maybe I think people are smarter then they are . But even still unless they ask I am not getting into it , I'll assume they have some common sense .

I am closing this thread since the discussion has gone far afield from the OPs question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter