• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you were going to to join DVC all over again......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really cost the resort to give you an extra towel? So much so that the costs would be passed on to the members? I doubt it.
The answer is yes, it does have real costs though we have no way of knowing how much.

Yes they are . They are also financial advisors too

I highly doubt this has any affect on MF cost
Wasn't it you who stated they financed everything they could on purpose.

We have never regretted our beloved SSR direct DVC sale. Our only regret as OP said is we should have bought smaller contracts and more points at the time. We got a great deal. But you never know where life is going to take you! At the time we saw ourselves coming across from UK once every other year . Then it was every year ( we soon learnt a discounted annual pass could do two vacations if you get the timings right! ) . So we ended up renting points from David then we did an add on.

For us as we were staying rack rate at Port Orleans we have saved money. The exchange rate was strong at it was the end of SSR moving onto AK so we got it cheap. We love SSR and all the resorts we tried so it works for us. I have since become more disabled due to ill health but DVC has worked more in our favour than against. Accessible rooms!

The most important thing is what you pay out now versus the cost of ownership. If you currently stay at GF then you are use to paying out that amount. Enjoy! We do :-) but cover yourself. Spilt contracts worth more resale if you need too.

I think this is what Jim was alluding to when he said that he didn't drink and drive "in school zones". Because he is so courteous to not do so, should he be forgiven if he were to drink and drive outside of a school zone?
Exactly.

Also, that was tongue-in-cheek. I don't drink and drive.

The answer is yes, it does have real costs though we have no way of knowing how much.

Wasn't it you who stated they financed everything they could on purpose.

Absolutely , and I never went full term on anything I financed .

What does that have to do with the price of bananas

To a degree. However, I see this as a management training issue. DVC should be consistent, otherwise why have the fees in the first place (which I said from day 1 I thought were somewhat unreasonable). DVC and the resorts should find a way to track and charge consistently or not at all. It should not be up to the members to have to worry about it when they ask a person who's reasonable to ask (mousekeeping). You train them to let the member know there's a charge and track them or you train them to say no, call the front desk and you put a sign on the carts prohibiting people from simply taking items. Then it's on the members and those that then violate are truly at fault. Personally I think they should do away with the charges altogether and train the staff/management to say no when people are unreasonable.

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. Their mousekeepers often don't speak great English, so they may not be fluent enough to say no AND explain. And Disney likes to train their employees to keep guests happy.

At the same time, daily fresh towels for everyone does get to be a huge hotel expense - hotel laundry is a huge line item in operations.

I agree that they should get rid of the charge, but make you call, not take items off the carts, and let the housekeeping manager on the phone determine unreasonable. Even in a regular hotel room, I don't need new towels and new shampoo every day - we are a "hang and reuse" and "light shampoo" family.

I agree that they should get rid of the charge, but make you call, not take items off the carts, and let the housekeeping manager on the phone determine unreasonable. Even in a regular hotel room, I don't need new towels and new shampoo every day - we are a "hang and reuse" and "light shampoo" family.

I fully agree with this. Do you remember when restaurants used to automatically bring every guest water, just for sitting down at the table? Eventually, I recall a few places that would put a small sign on the table saying that they were not going to give everyone water automatically, because they wanted to conserve water and energy washing glasses, etc. But if you wanted water, just ask and they would bring it. Now, that is pretty much standard at most restaurants I go to. It makes sense, and nobody is bothered. Same thing with towels. No need to drop off so many towels that people are practically encouraged to use a different one every time they wash their hands. But if they need more, just call and they will be dropped off, no additional charge. Seems pretty simple.

Does it really cost the resort to give you an extra towel? So much so that the costs would be passed on to the members? I doubt it.

It's become pretty standard at most accommodations everywhere to have signs up about conserving energy and water by not changing towels every day. And energy and water come at a cost.

We've got some pretty good thread drift here :laughing:

I feel the rules are the rules and try not to break them but honestly can't imagine people getting so bent out of shape for a towel or small shampoo.
I don't want my MFs to go up any more than the next person but have to believe that these things even out in the long run. Like I said before, what I don't use others are welcome to.

Guess what.....MFs are going to go up whether we use the shampoo or not.

To get back on topic...:)

I too wish I had bought more points and separated out mine into 2 contracts. We made the mistake of staying in a 1 bedroom our 1st DVC stay and fell in love. Previously we had stayed in studios and regular rooms. We are just fine in them but...

It would have been nice to have 2 contract to give to our 2 children when they got older. I figure now we can either sell them or throw the deeds in a circle and see if the kids are willing to entertain us old folks by fighting for them.

We've got some pretty good thread drift here :laughing:

I feel the rules are the rules and try not to break them but honestly can't imagine people getting so bent out of shape for a towel or small shampoo.
I don't want my MFs to go up any more than the next person but have to believe that these things even out in the long run. Like I said before, what I don't use others are welcome to.

Guess what.....MFs are going to go up whether we use the shampoo or not.

I agree, but I think you're missing the point. What people are objecting to is the poster's comments saying that they don't break the rules and then the very next thing they said they did was a violation of the rules. It's not the anarchy we're objecting to, it's the hypocrisy. :)

An aside, the housekeepers have a really hard time, since some people stay at the resort on cash reservations. The people on cash reservations should not be charged for extra towels, but people staying on points should. In addition, the housekeepers have learned to say yes, because it really hurts them when a guest calls and complains, even when the guest is in the wrong.

No one should be helping themselves to the stuff on the housekeepers carts. It makes it look like the housekeepers are stealing.

Absolutely , and I never went full term on anything I financed .

What does that have to do with the price of bananas
Just framing where you're coming from. To be clear, I don't generally make specific recommendations unless one asks but what I do is to address principles. That's a fine but important distinction in many situations. IMO, it's almost always a poor move to finance DVC or even to buy in with other debt other than maybe a mortgage. That's a principle I believe in. If the fact I hold that belief and state it offends you, then you'll simply have to be offended. Whether one decides to follow that principle or not is up to them. However, and this is important, when one decides to go another direction and finance, that does not make it a good choice even if they are happy with the decision either short or long term.

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. Their mousekeepers often don't speak great English, so they may not be fluent enough to say no AND explain. And Disney likes to train their employees to keep guests happy.

At the same time, daily fresh towels for everyone does get to be a huge hotel expense - hotel laundry is a huge line item in operations.

Then they should simply abandon the procedure. If they can't enforce the rule, the rule should be eliminated. If the rule stays, they should figure out a way to enforce it consistently including at the housekeeping level, but that's not the Disney way is it?

Just framing where you're coming from. To be clear, I don't generally make specific recommendations unless one asks but what I do is to address principles. That's a fine but important distinction in many situations. IMO, it's almost always a poor move to finance DVC or even to buy in with other debt other than maybe a mortgage. That's a principle I believe in. If the fact I hold that belief and state it offends you, then you'll simply have to be offended. Whether one decides to follow that principle or not is up to them. However, and this is important, when one decides to go another direction and finance, that does not make it a good choice even if they are happy with the decision either short or long term.

?

Aren't you the one that had a whole bunch of DVC point for the sole purpose of renting them . And now sold most of them .

Please tell me how me financing things has any relevance to this thread at all . I made no mention of financing anything .

I think you are delusional on how most of the world operates these days . This is pretty common form older people , they are stuck in the past and cant come to terms with change going on around them .

Aren't you the one that had a whole bunch of DVC point for the sole purpose of renting them . And now sold most of them .

Please tell me how me financing things has any relevance to this thread at all . I made no mention of financing anything .

I think you are delusional on how most of the world operates these days . This is pretty common form older people , they are stuck in the past and cant come to terms with change going on around them .
LOL. Not exactly. I've owned as many as 885 points and I've downsized to 433. I probably should have downsized further. While I don't own the points with the intent of renting them, I usually do because I stay at DVC using other means like timeshare exchanges. I believe it was you that brought up financial advice in a sarcastic and demeaning way.

I'm not delusional on how things operate but I do believe that broke people ask how the monthly payments are and those that aren't, how much the total cost is. If financing is normal, I don't want to be. Being able to make the payment is NOT the same as being able to afford something.

First of all, I've read a bunch of your posts and you are hostile and bitter about the fact that these people are trying to HELP others know what they are getting into. You are helping no one with your hostility and poor advice.

Second, YOU mentioned financing by saying..."Yes they are . They are also financial advisors too". That had nothing to do with the thread.

Third, age has no bearing on people making sound financial decisions. Young or old, handling your money responsibly is beyond important these days.

Someone please moderate this guy...

That's the dilemma I face. I realize the cost is going to go up annually BUT 15 years from now (or anytime after my break even from upfront costs is realized) paying even $3,000 annually for a weeks stay seems like it would be worth it when you take into account that the hotel cost at that time would more than likely have increased also. Agree?

Exactly. While it is true you need to consider the fees will go up, it is not a good reason to not buy since the hotels costs will go up, just like everything else.

LOL. Not exactly. I've owned as many as 885 points and I've downsized to 433. I probably should have downsized further. While I don't own the points with the intent of renting them, I usually do because I stay at DVC using other means like timeshare exchanges. I believe it was you that brought up financial advice in a sarcastic and demeaning way.

I'm not delusional on how things operate but I do believe that broke people ask how the monthly payments are and those that aren't, how much the total cost is. If financing is normal, I don't want to be. Being able to make the payment is NOT the same as being able to afford something.

I stated many here seem to be financial advisors . I offered no advice .

I agree with that last statement . But just cause I choices to finance doesn't mean I am broke . It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .

First of all, I've read a bunch of your posts and you are hostile and bitter about the fact that these people are trying to HELP others know what they are getting into. You are helping no one with your hostility and poor advice.

Second, YOU mentioned financing by saying..."Yes they are . They are also financial advisors too". That had nothing to do with the thread.

Third, age has no bearing on people making sound financial decisions. Young or old, handling your money responsibly is beyond important these days.

Someone please moderate this guy...

Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .

I stated many here seem to be financial advisors . I offered no advice .

I agree with that last statement . But just cause I choices to finance doesn't mean I am broke . It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .

I think that what people are trying to say is that the safest path to ownership is to not finance and still be liquid. If you (or anyone) are looking at a DVC purchase that is equal to (or a substantial percentage of) your savings, then that is a bit of a topic for discussion. Not judgement, discussion.

Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .

You need to understand that we are not promoting resale, we are promoting fiscal responsibility, value and making informed choices. Many of the very same people who are ardent resale advocates are also direct owners. The only difference is that they bought when direct prices were much lower and the gap between direct and resale (if there even was one) was 10-20% not 40-60%. I myself came extremely close to buying a VGF contract direct until I realized that it didn't personally offer me anything that I did not have already at BLT. But I certainly am not against buying VGF direct because I think that it has a reasonably sound exit strategy.

Try not to make things so black and white. This is a very gray area. :)

It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .

I don't know if anyone would call an interest rate of 10 to 14 percent a nominal fee. People have spelled out the numbers in other threads that those interest rates over the course of 5 to 10 years will effectively increase your price 50 to 100 percent over what you will pay using cash. So for the sake of the people who are trying to figure out if DVC works for them, don't dismiss those costs as pennies on the dollar.

I know this will probably get a rant about how you're always picked on in these threads, but the bottom line is there are people who are genuinely looking for information and they deserve facts. None of us "hate" direct buying. I just bought a contract direct and before I bought that VGF contract, I'd considered adding on BWV points before the price increase. I wanted a small contract and could pay cash for it. And I've said over and over again that there are circumstances in which buying directly through Disney makes sense. So this isn't an "I hate direct" rant by any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter