• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you live in Massachusetts do you call yourself a Bostonian?

TheGoofster

Old Foggie
I grew up in Mass. but never actually lived in Boston, but I've always referred to myself as a Bostonian.
I was just wondering what you other Mass. dwellers thought about it? If you never lived in the big city, do you still like to be called a Bostonian. Especially if you live WAY out in the Western part of the state?

I'm not sure what the alternative would be though - Massaholics, Massachusites, Massachusens? :rotfl:

Uh, not just no, but hell no. Don't get me wrong, I love Boston, but there's a whole lot else to the state.

Well, I call myself a Bostonian because I am from Boston.

I can't tell you how many times I have met people while away that have told me they were from Boston. I ask what part and they tell me some place like North Attleboro. Ummm, ok. Why didn't they just say they were from Mass?

My DH, who was born and raised in Greenfield MA never calls himself a Bostonian.

When people find out he's from Massachusetts, they're always surprised that he doesn't have the "accent". He always tells them it's because he's from western Mass., not Boston.

You have to be from Boston to be a Bostonian. We live 1 hour from Boston.

I do, but I live and grew up less than two miles from the city and I work in Downtown Boston, so if the shoe fits...

I grew up right in Boston, and although I no longer live there (I'm 20 miles north now) I still call myself a Bostonian.

I have noticed that I often meet people who introduce themselves as Bostonians, then tell me shortly after that they are from Framingham or Braintree or Rockport, or some other random place that's NOWHERE near Boston. Why do people do that?:confused3

45 mins to an hour from Boston. No, never referred to myself as a Bostonian. I call myself a MA resident. Central MA, so no Boston accent.

Funny how we MA people always give distance in minutes....and not miles. :rotfl2:

You probably don't want me to tell you what many Vermonters call people from Mass. ;) It is definitely not DIS friendly. I tell them they should thank their lucky stars those people come up here, and bring their wallets with them!

Denae

NO! Western Mass and is almost like being in another state. You have to at least be East of "Woosta" to be considered a Bostonian, and that is really pushing it. Most people in the Western part get their feathers ruffled if you try to say they are from Boston. At one point the Western side even tried to form a seperate state from the Boston side. That whole Boston area is just different from the rest of the North East. I am from Ct, but lived in Ma for 6 years. I can tell you that none of the nicknames you suggested are what we call them. We call them "M*******s". I can't tell you what they call us...:rolleyes1

Ohhh... It got zapped. That was Mass holes. And Mass holes come from the state of Massive-two-sheets. (replace the ee with i)

No.

Born and raised in central Mass and I always say I'm from Massachusetts or New England.

Yeah, I've often felt that Rt 495 should be a new state border. East of it is "Boston".....west of it is "MA".

Sometimes feel that the news & govt often forget about the rest of us from MA that live outside of 495.

Nope. When I moved out here from New Mexico, I moved to Slumerville. I then moved to the Cape, so now I'm a "Washashore."

I live in Methuen, right on the MA/NH border (about 40 min. north of Boston). When we're on vacation, and I'm asked where I'm from I always say 'Boston'. I have no idea why I don't say 'Massachusetts'.

20 minutes from Boston, so yeah, I do consider myself a Bostonian.

I don't call myself a Bostonian, but depending where I am when asked, I might say I'm frm Boston. For example if on vacation in Florida, someone asks where I'm from (happens a lot when people suspect the accent), I'll say "Boston", when I'm really from Woburn. But if I were, say in Burlington and someone asked where I'm from, I wouldn't say Boston then, Id say Woburn.

For example if on vacation in Florida, someone asks where I'm from (happens a lot when people suspect the accent), I'll say "Boston", when I'm really from Woburn.
I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but when I was living in Somerville and I went on vacation I would always say that I was from the Boston Area, and then I would specify.

I work with a lot of people from other countries (mostly Mexico of course), and whenever they ask where I'm from I say Boston. They ALWAYS know where Boston is, but if I say Massachusetts, they have no idea where I'm talking about.
Even though I never actually lived in Boston (although I did spend most of my summers at my grandmother's house in West Roxbury), I never felt it bad to say I was from Boston. I can understand W. Mass. residents not feeling an association, but I am kind of surprised at some of the low regard that some of these posts seem to hold for the city. I've been in many (if not most) of the major cities around the US, and let me tell you, Boston is nothing to be ashamed of. (well, except maybe the politics, but that's a different thread)

I grew up in Needham, MA. Lived there until I was married at age 25yo. Living in Needham I spent all my time IN Boston. Even attending college in Boston. I have a Boston accent. DH & I lived in many states after being married as he was with the railroad. I am now living (10 years) in South Central Ma, or outside of Worcester on the CT line.

If I am away (yes, due to the accent) I say I am from Boston....habit, just habit. I almost RARELY say Massachusetts. If I am traveling in a New England state I WILL say MA. If in Disney or across the country or in Europe I say BOSTON. People KNOW Boston.

whenever they ask where I'm from I say Boston. They ALWAYS know where Boston is, but if I say Massachusetts, they have no idea where I'm talking about.

That is so true....hence MY saying Boston so much more than I ever say MASS!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter