If you hated hoop dee doo, can you share why?

Wendydagny

Mouseketeer
Right now im planning to take my daughter to hddr on July 4th, but I'm have second thoughts about it because it's not really my style. I know the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but I don't love country themed stuff. I'm very close to canceling and spending the evening in Epcot. The only reason I considered it is that we are staying at WL, so travel would be easy.

So if you DISliked it, can you share why? Thanks!

Right now im planning to take my daughter to hddr on July 4th, but I'm have second thoughts about it because it's not really my style. I know the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but I don't love country themed stuff. I'm very close to canceling and spending the evening in Epcot. The only reason I considered it is that we are staying at WL, so travel would be easy.

So if you DISliked it, can you share why? Thanks!

YOU may not like it, but what about your daughter? Most of the reviews I've read say it's hilarious and that kids love it. We're going, can't wait!

I am married to "john wayne." Mr. Strong, Silent and SERIOUS.

I booked Hoop de Doo and expected the worst.....

He LOVED it!!! He laughed, stomped his feet, twirled his napkin and shouted "Yee ha!" at all the appropriate times. And in case you were wondering, it wasn't the sangria as he is a teetotaler!

I wanted to put his face in my hands and ask, " Who are you and *what* have you done with my husband?!?!?!?!"

We love HDDR so I can only speculate.

Some may not like it because of the style of food (or the price relative to the food quality).

Others may not like it because they think the show is too corny.

I was skeptical about this place before I tried it ($70ish per Disney adult for basically some Trail's End Buffet items combined with a corny show - how can it be worth it?). But after doing it once, it's basically a must do for our family. Just a really fun experience (and we are teatotalers).

The funny thing about HDDR is that if you just experienced the food and the entertainment separately, neither would be worth half the price charged. But somehow, when you combine the two, it's magic.

Have been going to WDW since HDDR started. Never went. Never wanted to go. My mantra is "I live in the land of Hoop de doo, I'm not paying that to do it." I am not a country music fan, I am a city girl, I can get good fried chicken in my own town.

Fast forward to DD is a CM. She was there for a year ticking off her bucket list. She wanted to go. I wanted to treat her to something on her bucket list that was out of her budget. I completely expected to hate it. We booked it in March, I studied and studied and decided that Category 3 was for us. Enjoy but not be in the middle of it. My DS is disabled, doesn't like loud, wears ear plugs. He was not bothered by it up there, had a great time and even tried his turn at playing the washboard.

I LOVED IT! It is not country at all, it's more clean saloon style. The cast is awesome and kept us entertained from start the finish. We loved our server and the food was delicious. I wish I had room to eat some more. Took a taste of sangria, yuk, so they brought us pitcher of beer. I take back every negative thought I ever had about the place and would gladly go again.

We took the bus to MK and rode the boat over. We were the last show and they had buses for zones to take us direct to our hotel. Ours was the first stop so it was great.

I'm so not country! But, I really enjoy it. I've done it twice. First time when dd was 10ish. Sat in the balcony, on the side. My dh was underwhelmed!! Didn't like the food, thought the show was dopey. Dd loved it. So when she turned 13, that's where she wanted to celebrate!!! We traveled with her friend and her mom.....went on dd's actual birthday, her friend's birthday was 2 days later. We got to sit right up against the stage, dead center. It was great!!! It's just a fun time..
So, OP, if your dd really wants to go, I would keep the ADR! If you hate it, you never have to go back.

My husband was very skeptical about this show. I described it and thought he would hate it and actually enjoyed the show. He even offered me tickets again for our trip in December.

I am married to "john wayne." Mr. Strong, Silent and SERIOUS.

I booked Hoop de Doo and expected the worst.....

He LOVED it!!! He laughed, stomped his feet, twirled his napkin and shouted "Yee ha!" at all the appropriate times. And in case you were wondering, it wasn't the sangria as he is a teetotaler!

I wanted to put his face in my hands and ask, " Who are you and *what* have you done with my husband?!?!?!?!"

I love this mental picture of "John Wayne" yee-hawing his way through the show. Love it!

We didn't like it because my husband is pretty serious and wouldn't get into it. It's not fun being the only one interacting at the show (DD was pretty young--too young to "get" the jokes). The jokes ARE incredibly corny. Now, had I gone with a different crowd like my loud and boisterous side of the family, I can picture us getting into the silliness of it. So, I think it may just depend on who you attend the show with and your own personality. Hope that helps a little.

We didn't like it because my husband is pretty serious and wouldn't get into it. It's not fun being the only one interacting at the show (DD was pretty young--too young to "get" the jokes). The jokes ARE incredibly corny. Now, had I gone with a different crowd like my loud and boisterous side of the family, I can picture us getting into the silliness of it. So, I think it may just depend on who you attend the show with and your own personality. Hope that helps a little.

Does the audience participate? I've never been...Just curious by what you meant that you were the only one interacting.

DH and I fully expected to hate HDDR. It is not our thing at all. We only went for the included adult beverages, and our oldest DS really wanted to go. It was the most fun we have had on all of our Disney trips.
The bus ride back to our resort was equally entertaining. Most of the moms and dads were standing on the bus and all had (responsibly) enjoyed the adult beverages. There was a lot of singing and swaying on that ride. :)

There's a reason the Hoop has been churning out 3 shows a day, every day, for nearly 41 years now. The jokes are often punny, and somewhat corny, but the cast plays off one another wonderfully. You can tell they have a great time at it. I think, for us, that is what keeps us coming back. Although the show almost never changes, the cast often does, and they, along with the wonderful musicians and servers, make it great.

You won't know if you like it or not until you try. I say give it a whirl.

Hate it!!! omg let just say if the kids are badly behaved I threaten then with Hoop Dee Doo....it was just sooo cheesy..my kids at the time were 10 and 4 and both of them were bored stiff the whole time the 10yr old thought it was pure torture...I had to keep explaining the corny jokes to my 10yr old. Jokes were bad...dancing was awful..food was so so mediocre..we got one strawberry shortcake to share between 4 of us. My 4yr old didnt like any of the food so he sat and got nothing to eat...I did ask if they could bring him something else and they said no. I felt like we were herded in like cattle and sat too close together...oh my goodness..I could go on and on....suffice it to say we wont be back.

I never thought it was my style either and I cannot believe in all of my 20+ trips to WDW I had never been... Until 2012 when my friend and his family brought me to HDDR and I was hooked!!! I loved it! It is now a must do each trip, whether paying OOP or using dining plan credits. I brought my 7 year old niece in 2013 and she still talks about it to this day.. kids usually love it, just from watching their reactions when we are there.

Hate it!!! omg let just say if the kids are badly behaved I threaten then with Hoop Dee Doo....it was just sooo cheesy..my kids at the time were 10 and 4 and both of them were bored stiff the whole time the 10yr old thought it was pure torture...I had to keep explaining the corny jokes to my 10yr old. Jokes were bad...dancing was awful..food was so so mediocre..we got one strawberry shortcake to share between 4 of us. My 4yr old didnt like any of the food so he sat and got nothing to eat...I did ask if they could bring him something else and they said no. I felt like we were herded in like cattle and sat too close together...oh my goodness..I could go on and on....suffice it to say we wont be back.
I cannot believe they said no to bring other foods for your 4 year old.. We had no problem getting other choices for kids.. Pretty sure they share the kitchen with Trails End, so they are very accomodating with lots of other choices if someone does not want what is on the menu. Also read from a lot of others who have had no problems getting other foods brought to them, since people do have dietary restrictions and food allergies. The server was definitely not on point with that.

I cannot believe they said no to bring other foods for your 4 year old.. We had no problem getting other choices for kids.. Pretty sure they share the kitchen with Trails End, so they are very accomodating with lots of other choices if someone does not want what is on the menu. Also read from a lot of others who have had no problems getting other foods brought to them, since people do have dietary restrictions and food allergies. The server was definitely not on point with that.
Yup..I had read on this board too that they would bring him food so I literally stood and argued with the server but he was adamant they dont do that anymore..what could I do, I didnt want to make a further scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter