If you don't live where you are "from," what products do you miss?

I'm from the Chicago suburbs of Illinois. Now I live in Wisconsin. Friends and family that visit bring me Portillos Italian beef and chocolate cake. Sometimes, I make the 3 1/2 hour visit back just for Portillos or Gino's East or Lou Malnotti's pizza!

My dear sister lives in Denver now and she really misses Portillos and Malnatis. Every once in a while, if we are having Malnatis, I will take a pic and send it to her...:laughing: OTOH, I will also send her frozen pizzas sometimes too.

She is easy to keep when she visits, all I have to do is give her Portillos for lunch and Lou's for dinner!

From Northern California

Miss
C and H pure cane sugar.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables. Within a 200 mile radius, we could get anything we wanted fresh without ever stepping foot in a super. Most of what we have back here still comes from out there. But traveling across the country as it does, it's not nearly as good. Some things are worse than others.
Fresh Fish. I think I miss that most.
Good Donuts. We had a mom and pop shop that made the best donuts. Krispy Kreme air donuts, isn't even come close. It reminds me of Winchell's Yuck.

Some fast food places I miss.
In and Out Burger. We have five guys. Close. But not quite. And much more expensive. .
Der Weinerschnitzel. (now just called Weinerschnitzel) Anyone that speaks German will know it should be Das, not Der. Oh and they don't actually serve boneless veal thinned with a hammer breaded and fried (Weiner Schnitzel) either. Hot dogs and sausages are their main forte. Truth be told, it wasn't all that good and at times terrible. But for some reason, I miss it.
Jimboy's Tacos. A much better alternative to Taco Bell. Go for the Tacos here.
Togo's. Even comparing them to Subway is a huge insult to Togo's. I know how that Subway dude lost all that weight. He couldn't stand to eat more than three bites of his sandwich.

Check your malls for See's chocolate around Christmas. There was a kiosk last year in a mall near us.

I can sympathize with your son. When I was in Monroe for nursing school and it was a long time in between trips home, I'd have to settle for Sunbeam. :scared:

Ugh, Sunbeam is just not the same. (Although Sunbeam *did* have one of the best commercials of all time when they did the "Bread & Butter" song.)

We have Bunny here in Missouri for some reason; it never occurred to me that it might not be available in N. Louisiana. :confused3

Not something I miss because it's relatively new, but I discovered Daigle's Pecan Garlic Sauce on my last visit home, and I'm now scheming on how to sweet-talk my sister into sending me some more. It is seriously delicious with fried shrimp.

Anchor Bar wings.
Mighty Taco.
Bison chip dip.
Ted's Hot Dogs.
La Nova and Bocce Club pizza.
Wegmans.
Friendly's.
Sponge candy.
Swiss Chalet chicken.
Loganberry drink.

You can take the girl out of Western NY, but you'll never take the Western NY out of the girl... I have friends ship me supplies from up north. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Is this the See's candy everyone is missing, http://www.sees.com/ , I had never heard of it.
Donna
YES!
Oakland, CA airport had a kiosk but it was just not the same and no Calif. Brittle

From Northern California

Miss
C and H pure cane sugar. I remember going on the tour at the Richmond Plant when I was a kid and getting warm sugar cubes
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables. Within a 200 mile radius, we could get anything we wanted fresh without ever stepping foot in a super. Most of what we have back here still comes from out there. But traveling across the country as it does, it's not nearly as good. Some things are worse than others.
Good Donuts. We had a mom and pop shop that made the best donuts. Krispy Kreme air donuts, isn't even come close. It reminds me of Winchell's Yuck. My Dad referred to them as Winchell's Bricks

In and Out Burger. We have five guys. Close. But not quite. And much more expensive. .
Der Weinerschnitzel. (now just called Weinerschnitzel) Anyone that speaks German will know it should be Das, not Der. Oh and they don't actually serve boneless veal thinned with a hammer breaded and fried (Weiner Schnitzel) either. Hot dogs and sausages are their main forte. Truth be told, it wasn't all that good and at times terrible. But for some reason, I miss it.
Jimboy's Tacos. A much better alternative to Taco Bell. Go for the Tacos here. Best hangover food ever!
Togo's. When I was a little kid, we used to go to the original Togo's that was in the old purple house near San Jose State, my love affair with Togo's began at a very young age!
Even comparing them to Subway is a huge insult to Togo's. I know how that Subway dude lost all that weight. He couldn't stand to eat more than three bites of his sandwich.

Moved here to very South Texas from Central Massachusetts20 years ago.
Like others, there are many things I miss.
First, though they're not food products, boy do I miss the soft grass of the North (grass down here is so stiff!), cut your own Christmas trees, and fall visits to apple orchards.
Food products and brands-
1. Rhubarb, especially strawberry rhubarb pie
2. Friendly's ice cream, especially the Reese's Piece's sundae
3. Dunkin Donuts
4. B&M baked beans (I think that's the brand)-it comes in a crown bean jar
5. Hood's Golden Eggnog around holiday time
6. Loose tea (not in bags)
7. fresh garden peas
8. Marshmallow fluff, I forget the brand, but it's not Kraft
9. And this weekend I really miss all the foods at the Woodstock Fair in Connecticut, especially the "World's Best Hot Fudge Sundae". It's the best for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack.

Just went to the Woodstock Fair this weekend. It my favorite in the state. Didn't have the sundae though. Instead we opted for the huge eclair and whoopsie pies. I swear they weighed 5 lbs each.

From CA and living in CT. I miss maple bars, Sees candy, real Mexican food and the Chinese we used to get out there. Also Abalone, calamari not cut into rings and the amazing produce.

I'm like 30 mins from Hartford. So not too far. I can't find them in the Shop Rite or Stop and Shop here! Admittedly, I haven't lived here too long. I might I have to take a trip up to Boston if they're there. Or have them shipped like another poster suggested. Momma is refusing to ship them now that I'm "an adult with a paying job who can get them herself" :sad:

I know I have seen them in gas station convenience stores before but can't remember which ones or the last one I saw it in. Try checking them when ever you stop in one. I also saw them recently in Walmart. When hostess went down they started carrying all of these tasty cakes I had never seen before. I remember seeing the butterscotch ones and remembering how people rave about them. So check out your local Walmart. I have seen them in the Branford, Old Saybrook, Guilford and Waterford stores.

From Northern California

Miss
C and H pure cane sugar.
Good Donuts. We had a mom and pop shop that made the best donuts. Krispy Kreme air donuts, isn't even come close. It reminds me of Winchell's Yuck.

Jimboy's Tacos. A much better alternative to Taco Bell. Go for the Tacos here.
Togo's. Even comparing them to Subway is a huge insult to Togo's. I know how that Subway dude lost all that weight. He couldn't stand to eat more than three bites of his sandwich.

I totally forgot about Winchell's. I I loved them as a kid and of course Weinersnitzel. When we went to Texas a few years ago I found one near Dan Antonio and we stopped there. After living in Ct, with amazing natural casing hit dogs they weren't that good but I went more for nostalgia and lived every minute of it.

Interesting thread! I have lived in Upstate NY my whole life but, will be moving to FL or TN in the next 3 years.

I will miss spiedies and american cheese pizza the most, specifically Roma's bakery pizza!

I look forward to having a Publix and Wawa!

SE Massachusetts girl transplanted to Kansas City. In no particular order:
1. Autocrat coffee syrup
2. Peaceful Meadows Ice cream stands
3. Cape scallops
4. Cristos Greek dressing and
5. Papa Gino's

SE Massachusetts girl transplanted to Kansas City. In no particular order:
1. Autocrat coffee syrup
2. Peaceful Meadows Ice cream stands
3. Cape scallops
4. Cristos Greek dressing and
5. Papa Gino's

You've got to be transplanted from somewhere near where I live (EB). I'm less than 10 minutes from the Peaceful Meadows in Whitman and Christo's. :thumbsup2

Anchor Bar wings.
Mighty Taco.
Bison chip dip.
Ted's Hot Dogs.
La Nova and Bocce Club pizza.
Wegmans.
Friendly's.
Sponge candy.
Swiss Chalet chicken.
Loganberry drink.

You can take the girl out of Western NY, but you'll never take the Western NY out of the girl... I have friends ship me supplies from up north. :thumbsup2:rotfl:
:thumbsup2

I'm from Utah but I've lived in Missouri for 10 yrs now. I really miss fry sauce (I make it but it isn't the same), also Warren's Onion Rings (with fry sauce LOL), oh and raspberry shakes from this place in Garden City by Bear Lake. I have never tasted raspberry shakes like those ones.

Forgot about See's...my family sends them to us occasionally for the holidays...but I love those truffles....especially the raspberry ones.

I forgot about See's too. We had them in Utah too. They were my grandpas favorites. I want Sees raspberry jellies now.

Not sure anyone would know what this is, but I spent much of my childhood on Cape Cod. I still live in MA, but on the opposite side of the state.

I would give anything for some Four Seas ice cream & a lobster roll:love:

From Nova Scotia originally, been living in Ontario for the past 16 years. I miss Donairs. They are kind of a big deal in the Maritimes, but they don't make them "right" here. There is one place in this city that makes an authentic Maritime donair but the rest don't use the right sauce and they are just gross. Our local supermarket is a chain store originating from Nova Scotia, and they actually make donair meat in store. I just make my own sauce now and get my fix that way.

Born and raised in NJ, now in the San Francisco area...I do miss a good bagel, cheesesteak, boardwalk cheese fries, and a porkroll egg and cheese ;)

Not to mention Wegmans, White Castle, and Dirty water dogs :)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter