If you could travel any time...

mmps108

Mouseketeer
My husband and I would like to take our 3 yo DD to WDW for a 5-6 night trip. We were just there in January but it was with my WHOLE family (11 of us). We had to travel over MLK weekend because of school days and older kids. It was chilly and we couldn't swim, even on the cruise after our WDW trip. Plus, we weren't able to be on our time, we had the family schedule to work around.

If you could go anytime of the year...trifecta of cheap airfare, cheap(er) hotels and less crowds...when would you go? September? Between Thanksgiving and Christmas? January?

I went on September 2014 and it was the lowest crowds I've ever seen! I love it, sunny days and great weather at all time.
However if you're not used to really high temperatures and possibility of quick showers plus your 3 yo DD, I would say for you to try between Thanksgiving and Christmas, people say it's a really good time of the year to go, with low crowds as well plus regular weather.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing! We've been there in September, but it was sooo hot. Frankly, I think I would prefer January, but I'm hearing the crowds are still pretty high (especially compared to the week after Labor Day). I looked at the week right after Thanksgiving, but last year (and possibly years past?) free dining was blacked out during that time.

I also went in September, but LATE September, when my little dude was younger. Best . . trip . . .ever. I mean it can be hot, but not hotter than July or August typically and most lines and rides have you escape the heat regardless. Kids are back to school, people are lulling back into routine after summer, and the parks were gloriously vacant for what I had seen at countless other times.

I used to love late January early February but went this year it it was actually really busy. Went last year the last week in August and it was fantastic- still great temperatures but hardly any crowds! September is great too.

We went Feb 3-6...we made sure to avoid President's Day, MLK, and marathon. It was great. We wish we could do that every year, but I can only take 3 school days off a year, and we like to go for longer (this was a quick getaway type trip)

September - that is when we went our first two trips and I loved it even though it was ridiculously hot and humid many days (which I normally don't mix well with). Low crowds, weather nice for swimming, pairs it with some beach days eyc - plus MNSSHP! Once the kiddos started school though.... :( we went January last year for my boys' birthdays and it was nice, the weather was beautiful (minus the one could morning it poured and one really cold evening) but the crowds were noticeably higher, we didn't get to swim much, and gambling a rainy trip in that cold would have been bad. I didn't hate january, just loved sept :)

Thanks, everyone! We booked September 23-29th because we're taking our foreign exchange "daughter" who has to go back to college on October 5th. So excited to be going back!!

I used to love late January early February but went this year it it was actually really busy. Went last year the last week in August and it was fantastic- still great temperatures but hardly any crowds! September is great too.

I know, what happened this year? We always pick the last week of January/first week of February because the crowds are low, but this year it was a zoo! Maybe the big East Coast blizzard messed things up? I'd like to go again, but now I'm not sure I'd choose that week again.

Our family of 5 went last year from October 28 - November 4th. It was PERFECT!! We were there to see the Halloween decorations for the first 4 days, and then literally overnight it was Christmas!! Truly magical. We didn't get to see the Christmas decorations fully completed and MVMCP hadn't started yet (so we're currently planning a trip for this year during the first week of December), but honestly our trip last year was so wonderful. Low crowds; weather was perfect (no storms; hot enough to swim but not as overwhelming as the summer heat) and we got free dining during our stay. Free dining wasn't offered during that time this year, so we truly lucked out!
My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Disney in September of 2003, and really loved it. Low crowds made touring easy, but we had to contend with the extreme heat (and pray for no hurricanes!) It was a great week, but I didn't want to even attempt dragging 3 kids around in that heat. Delaying our trip in 2015 a couple of months made a huge difference for us!
{We don't fly, we're close enough to drive, so I can help with cheap airline tickets.} Good luck planning!

We enjoy mid November (12-18 this year), 2 years ago same week was nice and calm as far as crowds go, but we did hit a cold spell that week. My favorite time has been the first week or so of December. (Dec 3-10 or 9-16ish) This one is my favorite for 2 reasons: 1) The crowds are low due to the kids still being in school, and being so close to the school's winter breaks most parents (except cool ones like us!!) don't want to take the kids out of school for a week right before their break. 2) Being so close to Christmas, the decorations are awesome, the parties are fun, and when you return home you don't have to wait a month + to celebrate!

This is a difficult decision. Being from NJ, Jersey Week is always fun...low crowds, still hot enough to swim at night, food and wine festival....but I love the Disney Decor for Halloween. For me, the best time to travel is at the tail end of MNSSHP. The best parade I have ever seen in Disney is MK's parade during this event. The headless horseman starts the parade and the gravediggers scraping their shovels during the choreographed danced literally sends sparks flying at night.

We've been the 2nd week in January. The weather was swimmable warm the first half of the week 50ish degrees the second half. One thing I didn't anticipate was the crowds on the weekends. We visited 4 times in November. You can count on good weather (swimmable) and light crowds except weekends and Thanksgiving Week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter