"If this is your first trip, you're spoiled!" (Sept. 2019 TR)

Bennett is too CUTE! Poor thing. I hate when people do not know their own dogs. Glad it worked out for the best and Bennett got to stay in the comfort of his own home.

Good grief on all the last minute changes!! I would have been a wreck!

How many people are you planning for? Have you ever traveled with them before? My advice would be to try to set expectations beforehand, especially if you know your travel styles are different. That was the one thing that made it really frustrating for us. My mom wanted everyone to stay together but everyone's travel styles were SO different. It was still fun and I'm sure your trip will be as well. Thanks for joining!

The trip is still 2 years out, so plenty of time to slowly plan with everyone! The trip so far is 8 people, with a possibility of it increasing to 10-12 people. Out of that larger number, there would only be 4 people I have never traveled with before, which would be my BIL's family. His mom can be very judgmental and isn't afraid to speak her mind, so she is the source of anxiety! Hopefully, the long planning period will give us plenty of time to calmly discuss and work out the trip!

Joining in! I'm mostly a lurker but I enjoy reading the reports all the same! It's hilarious that you claim to never to do a big family trip to Disney again, I felt the exact same way after I went with my family. Fifteen people (all siblings and their offspring) was just too much chaos, any plans I made were tossed. Your puppy is so cute! I'm glad it worked out finding a last minute sitter.

Bennett is too CUTE! Poor thing. I hate when people do not know their own dogs. Glad it worked out for the best and Bennett got to stay in the comfort of his own home.

Good grief on all the last minute changes!! I would have been a wreck!

Thank you! The weird thing is that we had a meet & greet at the dog park a couple weeks before and they seemed to get along fine. But I will say that maybe her dog didn't like Bennett invading his space. She lives in a studio apartment (definitely didn't disclose that beforehand) so that's not a lot of space for a big dog and a rambunctious little puppy. In hindsight, I'm glad too. He gets along well with other dogs but you never really know how they'll get along.

Oh gosh, I was! That plus lack of sleep was not a good recipe for me.

The trip is still 2 years out, so plenty of time to slowly plan with everyone! The trip so far is 8 people, with a possibility of it increasing to 10-12 people. Out of that larger number, there would only be 4 people I have never traveled with before, which would be my BIL's family. His mom can be very judgmental and isn't afraid to speak her mind, so she is the source of anxiety! Hopefully, the long planning period will give us plenty of time to calmly discuss and work out the trip!

It will go by fast! We planned this for about 18 months but started talking about it about 2.5 years before. But yes, I think the more time the better. It gives you time to talk to them and set expectations (especially if they've never been to WDW) as well as figure out what everyone is interested in.

Man, his mom sounds a LOT like my future MIL. She's a realtor and just helped us sell our house...she was a handful to work with. She wants to either go to DLR or WDW with us someday and I'm terrified at the thought 😬 I hope you write a PTR or TR so I can follow along with how it all goes! I'll be thinking of you.

Oh boy, I'm glad you were able to quickly find alternate care for your fur baby. That while ordeal is quite a stressful way to start vacation!

I'm glad too! I'm not sure how I will ever leave my human children someday because it's SO challenging to find people you trust to watch them and know they will be okay.

Yes! I know you're a fellow overplanner so you can only imagine my stress level at this point.

Joining in! I'm mostly a lurker but I enjoy reading the reports all the same! It's hilarious that you claim to never to do a big family trip to Disney again, I felt the exact same way after I went with my family. Fifteen people (all siblings and their offspring) was just too much chaos, any plans I made were tossed. Your puppy is so cute! I'm glad it worked out finding a last minute sitter.

Welcome! I'm usually a lurker as well, I'm obsessed with trip reports on here.

Wow! 15 people is ambitious! I think if I ever did it again, I would have to go in it with no expectations or plans but most of us on the DIS know that a lot of the WDW fun IS the planning so it's a dilemma for me.

Thank you! He's a cute little handful for sure.

Joining in for the fun!

Thanks for joining! I hope I can accurately convey the fun parts without coming off like too much of a negative Nancy 🤞

Awww, that sounds so stressful trying to figure out what to do about your puppy. I would be exactly the same. I'm glad it worked out and you were able to find a solution where he would be happy and comfortable while you were away.

PRE-TRIP (8/28): And we're already off to a bad start

Just to preface, this post will mostly be about the prep leading up to our trip so feel free to skip if you're just here for the Dis stuff! Jake and I both worked the day before we left. Our original plan was to come home, drop the puppy off with the Rover sitter before Jake's fantasy football draft started (huge priority in his book, definitely not in mine), and finish packing before turning in early since our flight was leaving at 8 am the next morning.

The Rover sitter we chose was about a 5 minute drive from where we live. We loaded up our puppy (Bennett) and everything he would need for the week away from us. We travel pretty frequently so, at 10 months old, Bennett is pretty used to being away with us. He has already stayed with a different Rover sitter, our dog trainer, and at his old daycare on different occasions. However, this was our first time leaving him for a week and we were pretty sad. Cue car photo shoots (and because I want to show off my cute pup!).

We had met our sitter and had a doggy play date a couple weeks before to make sure the dogs would get along. They did well and she reiterated multiple times that her dog loves small dogs. Great, sounds good. Yeah, it definitely wasn't... Immediately upon opening her door, her dog had peed in the entry which she said wasn't normal for him and he also started barking so loud that my dog actually ran down her hallway to get away from him. We brought Bennett and his things inside and just kind of hung out to make sure they were going to adapt to one another. Unfortunately, her dog kept barking at Bennett to the point where he was laying down to show submission and running away from her dog. At one point, her 90 lb Husky had gotten his jaw around Bennett's throat and we knew that it wouldn't work for Bennett to stay there.

So, we made our awkward goodbyes and headed home wondering what the heck we were going to do. At this point, it was about 12 hours before our flight was scheduled to take off. We started texting and calling our old daycare provider (yes, we are those dog parents) as well as our dog trainer. However, we were extremely worried about him being in a household with other dogs for a week after what had just happened. It finally occurred to me that we could ask my best friend's little sister (who also happens to be my little sister Stitch's best friend) to come stay at our apartment for a week and hang out with Bennett. Luckily, she was ecstatic to have a place to herself for a week and make a little extra money while doing it. After sorting that out, running to the store to make sure she had groceries for the week, and having her come over to show her Bennett's routine, it was about 11 pm and we still had to finish packing 😳 I don't even know how many hours of sleep we got before we were running around trying to get things all packed and Bennett squared away. I snapped this picture from our rooftop at about 5:45 am while I was waiting for Bennett to do his business.

View attachment 435013

We loaded up our car and started driving with the intention of parking it at my work for a week. I work about 10 minutes from the airport and we have a secured parking lot so it didn't seem like an issue. The only problem was going to be that I'd have to drop Jake off somewhere because I wasn't sure the rules on bringing visitors through the gate to my work. Less than a couple miles from my work, Jake changed his mind and decided that he just wanted to pay to park. We literally pulled off the side of the road so we could figure out which parking place to go to. Jake found a Groupon online that was $90 for 7 days so we scooted over there, jumped on their shuttle bus, and made it to the airport about an hour or so before our flight. This was the first of many times on this trip that my pre-planning got thrown to the wayside. We're lucky to be pre-checked so we made it through security with more than enough to grab some coffee and mimosas from the lounge before boarding our flight.

Stay tuned for our arrival day and the beginnings of the trip that felt like it would never end 😂
is your puppy a German Sheperd? What is a rover sitter?

Thank you! The weird thing is that we had a meet & greet at the dog park a couple weeks before and they seemed to get along fine. But I will say that maybe her dog didn't like Bennett invading his space. She lives in a studio apartment (definitely didn't disclose that beforehand) so that's not a lot of space for a big dog and a rambunctious little puppy. In hindsight, I'm glad too. He gets along well with other dogs but you never really know how they'll get along.
As a Rover sitter, they should have known that how a dog reacts to other dogs on neutral territory vs their territory can be two different things. And a studio apartment is not enough room to be able to give more than one dog their own area... anywho...can't wait t read more, and hope it gets a tiny bit better!

It will go by fast! We planned this for about 18 months but started talking about it about 2.5 years before. But yes, I think the more time the better. It gives you time to talk to them and set expectations (especially if they've never been to WDW) as well as figure out what everyone is interested in.

Man, his mom sounds a LOT like my future MIL. She's a realtor and just helped us sell our house...she was a handful to work with. She wants to either go to DLR or WDW with us someday and I'm terrified at the thought 😬 I hope you write a PTR or TR so I can follow along with how it all goes! I'll be thinking of you.

I will definitely be writing a PTR and TR for this experience! I traveled to WDW with my parents and sister every other year as a kid, but it's been about 15ish years since they have been. They are pretty chill, go with the flow, so I'm not worried about them! BIL is also pretty laid back for the most part, but his mom is soooooo opinionated. Hopefully, she decides not to go 😂

If you end up going with your future MIL, I hope it's smooth sailing! Fingers crossed that she isn't too much of a handful during the wedding planning process!!

Sounds like an adventurous start to your trip, I'm glad everything worked out. Our trips overlapped too - I was there Sept. 2-9th!

Just started following your TR! I'm super curious to hear about how you got to Orlando because Sept. 2 was RIGHT in the middle of all the stress/craziness.

is your puppy a German Sheperd? What is a rover sitter?

He is a Shiba Inu (Japanese breed) and Mini Australian Shepherd mix but he definitely does look like a little German Shepherd puppy!

Rover is a website/app where you can find pet walkers or sitters, very similar to Uber or AirBnb but for animals. We've had success in the past but this time just wasn't a good fit.

As a Rover sitter, they should have known that how a dog reacts to other dogs on neutral territory vs their territory can be two different things. And a studio apartment is not enough room to be able to give more than one dog their own area... anywho...can't wait t read more, and hope it gets a tiny bit better!

Yeah, she said she has watched other dogs before and it was fine but animals aren't always predictable. Just thankful her dog exhibited those signs from the get-go instead of having something happen while we were on our trip and not being able to be there for Bennett.

I will definitely be writing a PTR and TR for this experience! I traveled to WDW with my parents and sister every other year as a kid, but it's been about 15ish years since they have been. They are pretty chill, go with the flow, so I'm not worried about them! BIL is also pretty laid back for the most part, but his mom is soooooo opinionated. Hopefully, she decides not to go 😂

If you end up going with your future MIL, I hope it's smooth sailing! Fingers crossed that she isn't too much of a handful during the wedding planning process!!

That's good! I feel like it helps to have people who are chill to balance things out. Hahahah. Well, fingers crossed she either decides not to or isn't too much of a pain if she does come!

Thank you! We aren't engaged yet but I know it's on the near-term horizon and I'm SO nervous about how she'll be.

I don't even know how many hours of sleep we got before we were running around trying to get things all packed and Bennett squared awa
Glad Bennett got squared away. He was probably much more comfortable in his own home. I always have so much anxiety when leaving my girls for an extended period of time. Luckily, my Dad usually takes them for me, and they love going to Grandpa's house. No rules. Lots of table scraps.

DAY 1 (8/29): "TELL THEM TO GET READY FOR HURRICANE STITCH"

Slight life update: I start my dream job this Monday and don't anticipate having a ton of free time to update this TR. So, I'm trying to get as much jotted down while I'm still working the worst job I've ever had (that's a story in and of itself). Just apologizing in advance for the TR update spam!

On our flight, Jake and I were upgraded to premium class because we are both MVPs. This means a little more leg room and free alcohol. Not ones to leave anything free on the table, we had several mimosas on our flight. We kept laughing because the flight attendants would give us a FULL cup of orange juice with every mini bottle of champagne and we're the kind of people who like OJ "for color." So, by the end of the flight, we had several cups of full orange juice to drink up. I made a little GIF of Jake demonstrating the "right" way to pour OJ for a mimosa.

Since my family was spread out on the flight and it's a long way from SEA to MCO, Jake would do little walks up and down the aisle to chat with my family. I guess at one point he heard someone say "does he know everyone on this flight?!" 😂 One guy sitting in the row behind Jasmine and Aladdin was obsessed with tracking Hurricane Dorian and loudly updating everyone about it. I forgot to mention that the night before our flight was when we started to hear the rumblings about Dorian. We seriously questioned whether we should even go on the trip with how things were looking. However, at that point, it was so far out that no one could make any real predictions so we all decided there was no reason to abandon the trip. Jake and Kocoum liked to joke that FL wasn't ready for Hurricane Stitch because my sister is kind of a wild child and was turning 21 on this trip.

The rest of the flight passed without incident and we arrived to MCO ahead of schedule. Once there, we were somehow the only ones in our car on the fake-o-rail so I made sure to snap a picture.

We hopped on DME and I made sure to be in the front so I could get a picture of the entrance.

We were the first stop and arrived at Caribbean Beach by 6 pm. Since we were able to find our room numbers in the app, we all agreed to head to our rooms and meet up in the lobby at 6:30 pm to go to Disney Springs for dinner. Ever punctual, my immediate family was in the lobby first. Stitch complained that she was starving and wouldn't make it to dinner. I went with her to the grab and go to get something quick. When she tried to purchase a cupcake (real healthy, I know), none of the PINs we assumed our mom would use worked. The lady at the register kind of gave us a look like we were trying to steal the cupcake. My sister asked her to hold it while we asked our mom for the PIN. My mom said she never set the PIN so we had to go to the front desk to get it reset.

In that time, the rest of our family had come downstairs and since we weren't IMMEDIATELY ready to leave, they all decided to get drinks at the bar... I know in the big scope of things, it's not a big deal but I didn't appreciate that they couldn't wait 5 minutes for us to get this sorted so we could leave and go get dinner. The front desk quickly reset the PINs and my sister was able to get her cupcake. However, since everyone was at the bar, we had to wait for everyone to finish up their drinks before boarding the bus to DS.

On the way to DS, Stitch started crying because she was feeling really sick after the cupcake and not eating all day. Once we arrived to DS, she had to use the restroom because she was feeling very nauseous. With the exception of Stitch because she was sick, we all ate at D'Luxe Burger. Our food was decent, Jake mostly just liked all the different sauces to try. We went straight to the ticket center around the corner from D'Luxe to activate our military tickets so that Stitch could go back to the hotel. After that, everyone kind of went their separate ways because some people wanted to shop while others wanted to find more alcohol. Jake and I stayed with my parents for a bit and went to the top of the Coca-Cola Store for the view.

My parents were tired so they went back to the hotel. Jake wanted to spend some time with just us and I really wanted to try the Dole Whip Froscato at Wine Bar George so we headed over there. First off, this drink is delicious and we loved Wine Bar George. We definitely want to come back here again on future trips. Second, we met a really lovely lady who was actually from Washington state! We had the best time chatting with her and we even exchanged numbers so we will hopefully cross paths in the future. I will say that some of my highlights on this trip were all the awesome people we met and talked to. After this, I was super tired after not getting any sleep the night before or on the plane and I had to be up early for the first park day of the trip. We got back to the hotel around 11 pm and quickly fell asleep.

Coming up: a little case of FOMO, a trip to the dark side, practically no lines, and an open-to-close park day.

Congrats on the new job!

Such a pretty pic from the top of the coke store! Sounds like you and Jake had a nice time at Wine Bar George!!

Following. Both the introvert and the over-planner in me is terrified at the idea of a trip with so many people. lol

New job sounds awesome. Congrats!

Ugh to everyone going to the bar. That is a huge pet peeve of mine in groups. "Oh, we have a 90 second delay? Plenty of time for me to fit in this 10 minute thing. ..."

Congrats on the new job!

Such a pretty pic from the top of the coke store! Sounds like you and Jake had a nice time at Wine Bar George!!

Thank you! I had no idea there was a view from up there, I would definitely recommend it!

Oh my gosh, getting out the door to dinner sounds like herding cats :rotfl2:

This just set the tone for the rest of the week too!

Following. Both the introvert and the over-planner in me is terrified at the idea of a trip with so many people. lol
:welcome:

Yeah, as an overplanner, I definitely don't recommend. Haha. I'm introverted as well but close with my family. This just was not the ideal trip for our group.

New job sounds awesome. Congrats!

Ugh to everyone going to the bar. That is a huge pet peeve of mine in groups. "Oh, we have a 90 second delay? Plenty of time for me to fit in this 10 minute thing. ..."

Thank you!

And THANK YOU, so glad I'm not alone. The front desk only took maybe an extra 5 minutes yet we ended up waiting an extra half hour for everyone to finish their drinks. The other kicker is everyone was complaining about being hungry...not really my fault when you chose to grab a drink first.

Congrats on the job! I wish that luck would head my way.

Yup my family would do that exact same thing! It's like oh a bar? let's go! Can we stick to the plan please people? I promise there will be drinks later. I'm glad you enjoyed the froscato , it sounds pretty tasty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter