If only picking one nighttime show/event?

AllEar2017

Mouseketeer
Hi-- we're attending in September for 4 nights and I'm thinking one planned evening activity is enough for my boys ages 4 and 7. While I know all bets are off schedule wise in Disney they are usually in bed at 7:30! So even though they'll for sure be up later than that, I don't want to lock myself into too much.

So if you could only choose one, what would it be? We already have a Fantasmic package but could change...travel agent is recommending MNSSHP and/or Pirate fireworks cruise. So which of these three or something else all together? We are staying at Poly so can go to beach easily for fireworks one night if we want.

This is probably another post all together but am I crazy for not being so into the Halloween party?!

Well no one knows yet how the Wishes replacement Happily Ever After will be, so that might be a must do. Or you have Hallowishes during MNSSHP but I've never seen that.

But for your trip, in my order I'd put Star Wars Galactic Spectacular, Fantasmic, Illuminations, Rivers of Light.

Well no one knows yet how the Wishes replacement Happily Ever After will be, so that might be a must do. Or you have Hallowishes during MNSSHP but I've never seen that.

But for your trip, in my order I'd put Star Wars Galactic Spectacular, Fantasmic, Illuminations, Rivers of Light.

Thanks! Are you staying Star Wars b/c they are 4 and 7 year old boys or b/c it really is the best? They aren't super into Star Wars so just wanted to clarify :)

Thanks! Are you staying Star Wars b/c they are 4 and 7 year old boys or b/c it really is the best? They aren't super into Star Wars so just wanted to clarify :)

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, nor was I going on their age..just what I personally think is the order from best to least.

You don't have to be a fan of Star Wars to enjoy the show. It's done very well. Unless someone hates Star Wars, then I'd recommend it.

My 4 year old boy LOVES Fantasmic (and has since he was 2). Loves Mickey "Dark" (sorcerer mickey). I like it because it is a nighttime show at a reasonable hour (before 9 pm).

We may try MNNSHP this year since I think they might stay up long enough to make the ticket worth it.

Hi-- we're attending in September for 4 nights and I'm thinking one planned evening activity is enough for my boys ages 4 and 7. While I know all bets are off schedule wise in Disney they are usually in bed at 7:30! So even though they'll for sure be up later than that, I don't want to lock myself into too much.

So if you could only choose one, what would it be? We already have a Fantasmic package but could change...travel agent is recommending MNSSHP and/or Pirate fireworks cruise. So which of these three or something else all together? We are staying at Poly so can go to beach easily for fireworks one night if we want.

This is probably another post all together but am I crazy for not being so into the Halloween party?!

I wouldnt spend that kind of money knowing your kids aren't usually awake past 7:30.
There are alot of really good night time entertainment already included in your ticket price that you don't need to upgrade for a different experience if you have no basis for comparison.

My gut would say Happily Ever After.

Last edited:

I'd vote for Fantasmic. Star Wars - you need to get a spot EARLY. Wishes is the same. Illuminations might be kinda boring.
Fantasmic is a seated amphitheater, and with the package, you get prime seating without having to wait.
(Maybe it's time to let them split a Disney "treat" of a caffeinated soft drink at lunch or mid afternoon that day?)

I would spend that kind of money knowing your kids aren't usually awake past 7:30.

I assume you meant wouldn't. ;) And I agree about not doing an event that runs until midnight if your kids are normally in bed by 7:30.

I'll admit I haven't seen the current Star Wars nighttime show in real life, but I LOVE Star Wars and was blown away by the previous Star Wars fireworks show (Symphony in the Stars). The current one, at least via Youtube, just doesn't impress me as much. But I'm not a fan of all the projections of movie scenes. I've seen the movies, I don't need to re-watch scenes from them on the front of a building. I much prefer full-on, in your face fireworks set to the iconic Star Wars score. To me, that show was impressive whether you liked Star Wars or not. But if you're not a Star Wars fan to begin with, I'm not sure the current show would hold much appeal since so much of it is projections of scenes from the movies.

Thus ends my thesis on current Star Wars vs previous Star Wars nighttime spectaculars, LOL!

As for the others, I saw Fantasmic 17 years ago (and have re-watched it on Youtube). It was okay, but I think we had crappy seats and it was cold and had been raining that night. One thing I do read on here is that young kids can get frightened during this show because Mickey is battling villains and some parts are "scary".

I freaking love IllumiNations, but it doesn't feature anything overtly "Disney" since it's basically a show about world peace. It's beautiful if you've got a good vantage point (I'm one of the weirdos that gets a FastPass for it, but there are lots of good places to watch from around the World Showcase). Like I said though, maybe not the most appealing to kids.

I have only watched Rivers of Light on Youtube so far (hoping to change that in December!), and it looks pretty great. I think a plus for this one might be that if your little guys are at all scared by the noise of fireworks, this show doesn't have that element. And if they like animals, all the better. Still, it does seem a little "slow" at times, so they might either become bored and restless, or...fall asleep (which wouldn't be horrible, right?). This would be the "gentlest" nighttime show.

If Wishes were still going to be running, it would be my hands-down recommendation. As such, I feel like its replacement is probably a sure bet as well. If you're only going to see one fireworks show, make it the one that is going off behind the castle in that iconic Disney fashion. AND, if you don't want to fuss with the mobs of people in the Magic Kingdom who will be watching and then trying to exit when the show is over, you can always watch this show from outside of the park at either the TTC or one of the monorail resorts.

As for HalloWishes, I haven't seen that one yet, but I hear it's pretty great. No idea if there is a "scare" factor involved with it, I assume it focuses on spooky and villainous music and voices, but that might not be so bad.

I say watch them all on Youtube and decide which one you really want to see in person.

We really like Fantasmic. My kids (boys) especially like the battling of the villans and were never scared. I like that there are seats and there is less pushing and smooshing going on to get a space.

I wouldn't do a hard ticket party like MNSSHP, since your kids are so young. If they poop out early like you suggest, that's a lot of money wasted.

I'd recommend a parade, like Wishes. Lots of activity, music, etc. to interest kids that age. Fireworks are cool, but I think a parade might go over better.

I would also stick with Fantasmic. It's a great show and you are sitting in a theater. As you see staying at the Poly you can watch the fireworks from the beach. Don't know about the new fireworks at MK but the will probably be st 9:00. The fireworks for MNSSHP are usually at 10:00 or 10:15 I think. We loved the first Star Wars fireworks but saw the new Star Wars projection show and didn't like that one as much. We love IllumiNations but it might be too slow for your boys.

MK is our favorite evening show, but Fantasmic! sounds like a great choice for your family as well. The Star Wars Galactic Spectacular was a huge let down after Symphony in the Stars, and I wouldn't pay extra for MNSSHP tickets unless you plan to stay past 10pm.

I had to make a similar choice, as I am only spending one day at HS so I cannot see both Fantasmic and SW. We ended up choosing Fanasmic as even though Disney Owns Star Wars, Fantasmic is more of a Disney Experience with the characters, and show.

How does the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular fireworks show compare with Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, the previous holiday fireworks show that was at Hollywood Studios?

Does it depend a lot on projections on the buildings? I was disappointed that the holiday show view was blocked by so many barriers, and there were long stretches that depended on a good view of the projections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter