We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Man. I was all excited about my run today. I had planned to take my daughter in our jogging stroller. It was going to be a tougher route because I wanted to end at a park near us, which would require going up a hill I hate doing with the jogging stroller twice.

I got about a mile in to the run (up that hill once: check) when my stomach started to act up. Finished the first loop and headed back up the hill for the second time, stomach sending warning signs the whole time. Remembered there is not a restroom at the park. Turned around and headed home :(.

To boot, when I passed my house I was at about 2.25 miles and thought it would be unwise to prolong the GI discomfort any more, so I cut the run short and headed in. So, no park, incomplete run. Yuck. At least my daughter isn't old enough to understand that we were going to the park, so she wasn't disappointed when I turned back. Pool opens today. I'll get some cross training in there, assuming the weather cooperates.

@DopeyBadger - thoughts on whether I should use my rest day tomorrow to either try again for the full run or do a couple of mile or something? Or just stick to the plan?

Stats: 2.22 miles, 29:45 (13:24/mi)

Today's journal is late because I didn't have time to do it between this morning's run and our departure for DISNEY WORLD!!!

How's this for pixie dust? We are staying at the Contemporary. Our reservation was for a garden wing garden view. We requested a ground floor room so we could have a patio while our mini Moana naps. Imaging my shock when I get the room ready text and learn we have been upgraded to a tower theme park view!!! It's my first time here and I couldn't have asked for a better start.

So aside from all that - the run was fine. Too fast. I'm feeling the effects of the strides, in that I notice after doing all sets that my body feels like it is using more effort to go the same pace as the first couple of miles.

Stats: 3.09 miles, 40:21 (13:05/mi).

I'm feeling the effects of the strides, in that I notice after doing all sets that my body feels like it is using more effort to go the same pace as the first couple of miles.

Curious about this. Could you explain it more when you've got more time? Do runs without strides and with strides feel differently at the same pace at the very tail end of the run?

Curious about this. Could you explain it more when you've got more time? Do runs without strides and with strides feel differently at the same pace at the very tail end of the run?

You know, I kind of thought so, but I think it might have been more that I finished that run on an uphill. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Here's how my June 2017 has gone. I'll update as new runs are added. I'll use the date: distance, time (average pace) format.

* will mean I ran with my DD in her jogging stroller, probably in our neighborhood or near her daycare, both of which are hilly. I'm noting because it throws my pace off quite a bit.

Week 1
5/30: See May log
6/2: RunKeeper crashed at a mile and lost that part. So best guess: 3.65 mi. Pace unclear.
6/4: 4.04 mi, 53:39 (13:16/mi) (-16 sec/mi from scheduled LR pace)

Week 2
6/6: 2.01 mi, 25:10 (12:30/mi) (-90 sec/mi from scheduled EB pace) (BLIND RUN)
6/8: 4.31 mi, 52:11 (12:06/mi) (-159 sec/mi from scheduled interval run) (4x400 intervals)
6/9: 3 mi, 39:18 (13:05/mi) (-111 sec/mi from scheduled EA pace)
6/10: 3.03 mi, 33:45 (11:08/mi) (-144 sec/mi from scheduled LR pace)

Week 3
6/13: 4.13 mi, 48:16 (11:41/mi) (-139 sec/mi from scheduled EB pace)
6/15: 4.44 mi, 52:35 (11:51/mi) (included 4x600 intervals)
6/16: 3.53 mi, 44:29 (12:36/mi) (-140/sec mi from scheduled EA pace)
6/17: 5.11 mi, 1:00:03 (11:45/mi) (-107 sec/mi from scheduled LR pace)

Week 4
6/19: 4.42 mi, 51:31 (11:38/mi) (included 3x800 intervals)
6/21: 4.6 mi, 55:07 (11:57/mi) (-123 sec/mi from scheduled EB pace)
6/24: 3.1 mi, 32:04 (10:20/mi) (Suds & Soles 5k official time - PR!)

*** New Pacing Scheme Starts ***

Week 5
6/27: 4.21 mi, 50:39 (12:02/mi) (-50 sec/mi from NEW EB pace)
6/29: 4.76 mi, 57:20 (12:03/mi) (ladder workout - whew!)
6/30: 4.08 mi, 54:03 (13:03/mi) (-41 sec/mi from NEW EA pace)
7/1: See July log

Last edited:
OK, I'm back and catching up. It was a weird running week because of the (fantastic) trip to WDW.

Scheduled:
5/30: 3 miles @ EB + Strides
6/1: 2 mi WU + 8x200 @ CV w/ 30 sec RI @ WU +1 mi CD
6/2: 3 mi @ EA
6/3: 4 mi @ LR

ACTUAL:
5/30: 3.09 mi, 40:21 (13:05/mi), then headed to the airport to go to WDW.
6/1: Moved to 6/2, was too achey from our first MK day the day before.
6/2: I did my 6/1 run with the intention of pushing my 6/2 run to 6/3 (spoiler alert, I ended up just skipping it) and my 6/3 run to 6/4. My RunKeeper conked after a mile, so my stats are unreliable, but I followed the directions and ran the intervals. I found that I ran them much faster than my set pace of 11:17. I'd check my current pace during the interval and be under 10. So I need to work on that.
6/3: I had planned to run my 6/2 scheduled 3 miles at EA, but it was our last park day and we needed to pack and check out, so I ended up scratching it. My rationale was that I had three runs in a row scheduled to help build a base of always being moderately tired physically, and I was ALREADY tired from the parks and all... so... yeah. No run.
6/4: I did my scheduled 6/3 run of 4 miles. 4.04 miles, 53:39 (13:16/mi). This was close to target pace (about 16 sec/mi faster), which, given how physically tired I was after the week at the park, I was really happy with. Plus, @MoanasPapa and I ran on a pretty path near our house with our kiddo in the jogging stroller.

Back to my regularly scheduled training tomorrow. In the meantime, I leave you with the best picture ever.

upload_2017-6-5_12-22-14.png

Note to self: Don't do blind runs right after a trip to WDW. Today was my first blind run and I didn't do a very good job with it. Not because I went too slow, but because I actually went too fast. I felt at some points of the run like I wasn't feeling super chipper, but I chalked it up to still being a little worn down from the Disney trip. I did dial it back for the second mile of my route, which is a net downhill, but was dismayed when I finished and looked at my splits: 12:23 for mile one, 12:38 for mile two. I was supposed to be at 14:00/mi pace. So, lesson learned: If I feel like a run is taking more effort than previous ones have, don't simply chalk it up to lingering fatigue... slow down and take it easier. Basically, I need to listen to myself more.

I did take the new Kinvaras out and I do like them, though they're a very different feel than my New Balances. My heels feel fine. Also, I decided to listen to the Disney Classics playlist on Spotify during this run. Not exactly high-energy, but fun : ).

Stats: 2.01 mi, 25:10 (12:30/mi) (BLIND RUN)

Nice job keeping up the training while on vacation! And, yes, that picture is all kinds of awesome.

Great job keeping up your running while on vacation. That is always a big struggle. Love the picture!

Ah, the medal for the half that I signed up for in September was just previewed. I like it! It'll be my first race for a medal, so that's a fun incentive. The runner premiums are going to be a long sleeve Under Armour tech shirt and a fleece hat.

upload_2017-6-6_11-3-18.png

They also changed the route to accommodate a potential new transit line that's caught up in litigation but could start construction that would impact the original route at any moment. I'm bummed about the change, because the old route ended right where we get bagels and coffee every weekend and that just seemed so appropriate. The new route doesn't have the same steep drop in as the old route and it doesn't finish on the uphill that I was so daunted by, but it has some obstacles:

upload_2017-6-6_11-11-55.png

I'm thinking that I might run parts of the route during my long runs in training to get an understanding of the hills (I'm looking at you, weird vertical jog around mile 2.5 and hill at mile 9) and make sure I have a good strategy for them on race day. Thoughts?

Also, completely separately, @DopeyBadger, can I confirm my understanding of Thursday's run instructions? I think I'm supposed to warm up for 2 miles, do 4 quarter mile intervals at CV with resting intervals between, and then cool down for a mile, for a total a little north of 4 miles - is that right? I'm thrown off because the total distance on the far right of my plan is 3.141 but I think maybe the cool down mile isn't counted in that total? I just want to make sure!

Note to self: Don't do blind runs right after a trip to WDW. Today was my first blind run and I didn't do a very good job with it. Not because I went too slow, but because I actually went too fast. I felt at some points of the run like I wasn't feeling super chipper, but I chalked it up to still being a little worn down from the Disney trip. I did dial it back for the second mile of my route, which is a net downhill, but was dismayed when I finished and looked at my splits: 12:23 for mile one, 12:38 for mile two. I was supposed to be at 14:00/mi pace. So, lesson learned: If I feel like a run is taking more effort than previous ones have, don't simply chalk it up to lingering fatigue... slow down and take it easier. Basically, I need to listen to myself more.

I did take the new Kinvaras out and I do like them, though they're a very different feel than my New Balances. My heels feel fine. Also, I decided to listen to the Disney Classics playlist on Spotify during this run. Not exactly high-energy, but fun : ).

Stats: 2.01 mi, 25:10 (12:30/mi) (BLIND RUN)

More like Marathon Tempo, but it's the first blind run. It's a definite learning process and for some people can take years to hone in on. Just keep practicing it and eventually it'll start clicking.

I'm thinking that I might run parts of the route during my long runs in training to get an understanding of the hills (I'm looking at you, weird vertical jog around mile 2.5 and hill at mile 9) and make sure I have a good strategy for them on race day. Thoughts?

That's a very good idea! You can use: http://www.mappedometer.com to also attempt to self map the elevation to see if that weird bump disappears (or where exactly it is to drive on it to see what it looks like).

Also, completely separately, @DopeyBadger, can I confirm my understanding of Thursday's run instructions? I think I'm supposed to warm up for 2 miles, do 4 quarter mile intervals at CV with resting intervals between, and then cool down for a mile, for a total a little north of 4 miles - is that right? I'm thrown off because the total distance on the far right of my plan is 3.141 but I think maybe the cool down mile isn't counted in that total? I just want to make sure!

Looks like there is an error in your total mileage sum. The CD was not adding correctly. Attached is an edited version of your plan. You are correct on the instructions though.

2 mile WU + 4x400m @ CV w/ 45 sec RI @ WU + 1 mile CD

Attachments

• FredtheDuck HM 2017_06_06.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
Today's run was my second with intervals, and I enjoyed the running aspect of it quite a bit! I felt very proud when I got home, especially since I realized halfway through that this run was going to be longer than my long run was on Sunday, but with more effort. I'm building! I did not enjoy my route as much. I decided to change things up and run to the track at my high school for the interval portion of the run. The track is a mile-ish away, so my plan was to neighborhood run the first mile, then run to the high school, interval it up, and run home for my cool down mile. I did all of that and the route was mostly fine (I had to do one interval before I got to the track and part of one interval on the route home because I miscalculated the distance, but that was fine). More of an issue: my morning runs have been on my nice suburban side streets where I only see a few cars and people walking their dogs. This run took me on really busy road that has freeway on and offramps, and it was really loud, stank like auto exhaust, and full of drivers not looking for pedestrians. It was only about a mile total on that road, but it kind of took me out of the zone.

As seems to be my trend, I was faster than all my scheduled paces. I'm really trying to get better about it, I swear. I found it particularly funny because I just lectured @MoanasPapa during his run yesterday about watching his speeds.

Today's run was supposed to be 2 miles at WU (15:31 for me), 4x400 @ CV (11:17 for me) with 45 second resting intervals, and then a one mile cool down (again, 15:31). The TL;DR is that I completely blew it with paces (too fast - what's new?) but the run felt good and comfortable once I got going, and I feel fine post-run.

Mile 1: 13:39. I felt creaky out the door so I was happy to take it easy. I was kind of surprised when I saw that my pace for that mile was closer to my EA/EB paces, as I had tried to be diligent about not running fast enough to be winded at all.
Mile 2: 12:45. I wasn't creaky anymore. This mile had a steep uphill at the very beginning but then was fairly level. This mile covered that busy stretch of road. I think my effort was about the same as mile one, probably a lot of the speed gain had to do with the downhill.
Mile 3: 10:57. This is the one with the intervals. I saw instantaneous paces in the mid-9s and tried to slow down, but I will need more practice to get this right. I walked my RIs to fully catch my breath.
Mile 4: 11:23. Had part of an interval right at the beginning, and then was the run on the busy street to get back to my neighborhood. I sprinted part of it to get across the street and the freeway on and offramps.
Last .3: 11:16. All on a nice long downhill stretch.

While I know my pacing was not great for this run, I did make it a point to honestly consider during mile 4 whether I thought I had the energy to do another interval or another mile and came to the conclusion that I could have (and probably would have enjoyed it). I almost talked myself in to trying because I was feeling very "in the zone," but that's not part of the plan, and the rational side of me remembered A) I had to get ready for work and B) I have runs tomorrow and Saturday and want to not dread them.

Stats: 4.31 mi, 52:11 (12:06/mi)

@DopeyBadger: @MoanasPapa and I just decided to do a local 5k (evening run + beer at the end - too hard to pass up). It'll be on 6/24. I'm scheduled to do 4 miles at LR that day. What should I do to accommodate the race? Tack a mile on at the beginning or run faster than LR during the race? Something else?

I suspect @MoanasPapa will have the same question.

Sorry for the change in plans.

Last edited:
Today's run was supposed to be 2 miles at WU (15:31 for me), 4x400 @ CV (11:17 for me) with 45 second resting intervals, and then a one mile cool down (again, 15:31). The TL;DR is that I completely blew it with paces (too fast - what's new?) but the run felt good and comfortable once I got going, and I feel fine post-run.

Mile 1: 13:39. I felt creaky out the door so I was happy to take it easy. I was kind of surprised when I saw that my pace for that mile was closer to my EA/EB paces, as I had tried to be diligent about not running fast enough to be winded at all.
Mile 2: 12:45. I wasn't creaky anymore. This mile had a steep uphill at the very beginning but then was fairly level. This mile covered that busy stretch of road. I think my effort was about the same as mile one, probably a lot of the speed gain had to do with the downhill.
Mile 3: 10:57. This is the one with the intervals. I saw instantaneous paces in the mid-9s and tried to slow down, but I will need more practice to get this right. I walked my RIs to fully catch my breath.
Mile 4: 11:23. Had part of an interval right at the beginning, and then was the run on the busy street to get back to my neighborhood. I sprinted part of it to get across the street and the freeway on and offramps.
Last .3: 11:16. All on a nice long downhill stretch.

Do you happen to have the actual splits from the 400m at CV? Those would be much more useful in evaluating how the run went than the overall mile averages.

@DopeyBadger: @MoanasPapa and I just decided to do a local 5k (evening run + beer at the end - too hard to pass up). It'll be on 6/24. I'm scheduled to do 4 miles at LR that day. What should I do to accommodate the race? Tack a mile on at the beginning or run faster than LR during the race? Something else?

I suspect @MoanasPapa will have the same question.

Sorry for the change in plans.

Do you want to race the 5k or just complete it? That would dictate the changes we'd make to the schedule. We're so far away from "A" race day that I'd have no issue with this being a real race if you'd like.

Catching up on your journal.
That Goofy and kiddo picture is amazing!

I don't like running on major roads with a lot of cars going by so I understand how you wouldn't like that route as much. I think I've figured out a bunch of good ways to get distance nearby me in the neighborhood but it took some practice at mapping it in my head first (and coming up short a few times so having to turn back to add length)

For your 5k...Race it! (only if you are "feeling it and want to") :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter