If disney has free dining- why cant DVC owners get free dining?

DonaldsGrl103

DIS Veteran
I just think it is so unfair that DVC owners cannot get free dining. Inadvertently, we are paying for a package! Maybe I am crazy but it would be a nice perk for us:thumbsup2

I just think it is so unfair that DVC owners cannot get free dining. Inadvertently, we are paying for a package! Maybe I am crazy but it would be a nice perk for us:thumbsup2

Maybe because we would have to pay "rack rate" for the rooms and we are way to smart to ever do that. ;)

Free dining is a promotional package offered by CRO to fill empty rooms during hurricane season. You must pay for a rack rate room and a MYW ticket to get the free dining. DVC is not a rack rate room. An OKW studio during this time is $314 rack rate but only 8 points during the week. 8 points is not comparable to $314, that would be almost $40 per point. Of course, you are free to make a rack rate reservation through CRO, buy a ticket and get the free dining.

See this recent discussion:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1412574

1) Free Dining is just like any other promotion.
2) It is meant to get people to WDW.
3) DVC members already are going to WDW.
4) Thus, no incentive is necessary.
5) Don't give something away if it has no economic return.

NOTE: If a resort is sold-out, it does not matter when the member visits, as the resort is already at 100% capacity for DVC rooms.

and don't forget.....there's no such thing as a free lunch. ;)

I know maybe I am just wishing upon a star:rotfl:

I think maybe you are. :)

It is the use of the word "unfair" that throws me a bit. I don't think there is anything unfair at all about this. Any DVC member can take advantage of "free dining" by paying rack rates at one of the resorts during the promotional time period. So we are in exactly the same position as any other traveller to WDW. What could be more fair than that? :confused3

You most certainly can get Free Dining, all you have to do is meet the requirements set by Disney just like everyone else.

Book a room, pay rack rate and buy at least one ticket for each person in your group. Then you can have free dining too.

Let's see 8 points for a studio at the going rate of $12 per point = $96
Rack rate studio = $314. Savings is: $218. I hope they continue to be that "unfair."

(I wondered how long this thread would take to get started)

lol sorry for my use of words- I did not mean to stir up any trouble! Just alittle curious and never thought of it in points!

(I wondered how long this thread would take to get started)

lol sorry for my use of words- I did not mean to stir up any trouble! Just alittle curious and never thought of it in points!

LOL - No problem...as Carol A suggests, this question has come up every year since Disney started offering free dining packages. Remember, though, that is was over a year before DVC was even able to negotiate for the regular "paid" dining to be added to DVC reservations. The dining plan is "owned & operated" by a different Disney division from DVC.

Let's see 8 points for a studio at the going rate of $12 per point = $96
Rack rate studio = $314. Savings is: $218. I hope they continue to be that "unfair."

To compare apples to apples... $96 + $78 (dining plan for 2) = $176.

4-day park hopper is $520 for 2 people. $314x4 + 520 = $1776.

Annual pass for DVC is $710. $176x4 + 710 = $1414. Plus you have the pass for a whole YEAR rather than just 4 days.

Since our cost/pt is really more like $6-7/pt, savings for member is really even more than that.

ok guys you made it so clear why its great to belong to DVC!
Thank you for taking our responses in the spirit intended. Is is very difficult to determine the true intent of written words without the spoken inflections, and when I see words like "unfair", they are a bit of a lightning rod.

Sounds like you are enjoying your DVC membership, and we don't want to do anything to diminish that. :)

Actually as I read the "frenzy" over on the Codes board I am reminded of why I love my DVC. None of this "panic" over a deal that probably will only cause most folks to gain weight while paying too much for hotel rooms!

Actually as I read the "frenzy" over on the Codes board I am reminded of why I love my DVC. None of this "panic" over a deal that probably will only cause most folks to gain weight while paying too much for hotel rooms!

I prefer to gain weight while not paying that much for my wonderful 1 and 2-bedroom villas within walking distance of Epcot. :cool1:

You guys are so FUNNY!! Its true that the anticipation waiting for a code is sometimes so crazy! At least having DVC we do not have to worry about these issues anymore:cool1:

I am loving it....we are staying 7 nights in September, paying for the DDP. We are using our pts at BWV and have AP's and a huge SW credit to use, so our total cost? $625-ish.

Yeah baby! It may go down if I do the figuring and find out DDE is even cheaper! :rotfl:

You got that right. After the AP best rate ordeal and the infamous October black hole, I am soo glad we have DVC. I just have to play that codes game 2 more times for non DVC stays that I refuse to use points for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter