Ideas for a New Monstropolis Land in DHS

Theme Park Horizons

Pushing the Boundaries of Theme Parks
I have been hearing a lot of rumors about ANOTHER new land in DHS, Monstropolis! It would supposedly take the place of Animation Courtyard. I have been wondering what attractions they could add to make this work. With the rumor of Stitch's Great Escape but more importantly, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, getting removed for a new experience, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor could easily replace the Star Wars Launch Bay or Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Another attraction they could add is Mike and Sulley to the Rescue! That is a dark ride from DCA and it is one of the best dark rides in my opinion. For dining they could add that Japanese place from Monsters Inc. where monsters ACTUALLY cook your food in front of you. It's Disney, they could make it work.
Any other ideas you guys have, feel free to post down below. They are greatly appreciated! :)

Personally, I'm a little sad at the idea of making DHS a collection of themed lands. I'm guessing they are probably moving that direction, but I really liked the "behind the scenes" stuff they used to have a when they first opened. If they continue with lands, my wish is that one would be dedicated to Making the Movies - put the old sound effects show with audience participation, a CGI studio, and yes, bring back some of the animation studios. Financially it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to split up the production to FL and CA (why they started taking out the production stuff to being with). Still between this, rumors of Zootopia moving to Rafiki's Planet Watch, and Epcot moving to all IP, it feels like Disney is taking any education aspect out of their parks. That used to be one of the unique features.

It's been a pretty consistent rumor for a while. I personally don't see it happening but I'm also a believer that there needs to be more capacity added after the new lands open

I don't think monster Inc is the kind of inherent draw they'd invest In at this point.

But the elephant in the room is that they are both building...and "under-building" at studios.

2 rides is great...but the Star Wars IP is gonna create more of an attention/attendance crush than any other property on earth. There's nothing bigger out there and I'm talking about the adults who have the credit cards. Basically the "anti-avatar"...where the IP is a deterrent.

Studios was fine as a niche park that had a couple rides...I think it could be whalloped when Star Wars comes and they are so slow to respond that this may be the key miscalculation. They probably need more...right now...and also need to beef the other parks to draw off attention. They seem to be doing that but it's just too slow. They have to cut the measures budget timeframes and just get things built.

And I personally love the "Hollywood golden age" concept. Always have. It's one of the main reasons why I always liked MGM even though the concept really kinda failed and it's been the most disjointed mess of a park ever (studios Paris and California adventure being worthy sister parks)...

...but I know it's gone...and likely only perhaps a few storefronts/facades will remain in 10 years time

Last edited:
I don't think monster Inc is the kind of inherent draw they'd invest In at this point.

But the elephant in the room is that they are both building...and "under-building" at studios.

2 rides is great...but the Star Wars IP is gonna create more of an attention/attendance crush than any other property on earth. There's nothing bigger out there and I'm talking about the adults who have the credit cards. Basically the "anti-avatar"...where the IP is a deterrent.

Studios was fine as a niche park that had a couple rides...I think it could be whalloped when Star Wars comes and they are so slow to respond that this may be the key miscalculation. They probably need more...right now...and also need to beef the other parks to draw off attention. They seem to be doing that but it's just too slow. They have to cut the measures budget timeframes and just get things built.

I still haven't "come to terms" with only having 2 rides in SW land.

Yeah, I get the "ambience" will be part of the experience, but in the first year, what kind of ambience can be had when you are in the middle of this?

upload_2017-8-25_9-31-28.png

And on the topic, digging now into the Monsters, Inc IP doesn't seem to make much sense for a land. I don't see it. But they need to keep adding. 2 kiddie rides, 2 SW rides, New Mickey Ride isn't going to help with the above picture.

I still haven't "come to terms" with only having 2 rides in SW land.

Yeah, I get the "ambience" will be part of the experience, but in the first year, what kind of ambience can be had when you are in the middle of this?

View attachment 264470

And on the topic, digging now into the Monsters, Inc IP doesn't seem to make much sense for a land. I don't see it. But they need to keep adding. 2 kiddie rides, 2 SW rides, New Mickey Ride isn't going to help with the above picture.

I 100% agree..post of the day.

Here on the Dis, we are insulated and hardcore and can convince ourselves that "immersive themeing" matters.

It matters for those that try to prop up the lagging performance at DAK...that look to wait for wdw to re-invest while also taking things offline due to mechanical failure or unpopularity due to age...that are really into dessert upsells...

The disneyana types that waste our time here...

But the theming is not gonna matter much to the MASS market. And wdw is a mass market.

They're gonna have about 10 frontline attractions when this things opens...and that could be a disaster...that picture you put out could be a DAILY thing. We're talking 4 hour waits for a 4 min sim ride in a smallish park?

See...there's a lot of X factors here that could bite them.

First, in the case of carsland, they had Disneyland across the plaza...and that was a backstop for crowds.

I think the gondola was designed at least partly because of this potential. Also the new thrill type rides in Epcot...but I fear it's not enough.

Star Wars land in Florida needs about 5 rides...and I mean from the go. Not promises of "phase ME" and "phase MORE"...

But the idea to build "matching" lands to save design costs and fit into the no land park in California may be a big miscalculation.

It's quite simple: wdw gets double the annual attendance as DLR...

So in simple third grade math, how much bigger should the Florida one be?

Last edited:

They totally screwed up when they designed Toy Story Land. They should have kept it Pixar Place, expanded it back and into animation courtyard with a cross selection of the GREAT Pixar movies. They could have even gone big inside the GMR building moving entry to back. Maybe even a Monster Inc coaster. Instead we get projection weird Mickey who fits nowhere.

It could have been really special. Instead we get a knock off TSL designed more like a Six Flags land, and who knows in animation courtyard.

They totally screwed up when they designed Toy Story Land. They should have kept it Pixar Place, expanded it back and into animation courtyard with a cross selection of the GREAT Pixar movies. They could have even gone big inside the GMR building moving entry to back. Maybe even a Monster Inc coaster. Instead we get projection weird Mickey who fits nowhere.

It could have been really special. Instead we get a knock off TSL designed more like a Six Flags land, and who knows in animation courtyard.

I agree...in their desire to "differentiate" from other kiddie lands in disney parks...they pigeonholed themselves.

Why they could have two new toy story rides, and then potential to add a monsters themed attraction and an incredibles or brave or something is beyond me...

but in the first year, what kind of ambience can be had when you are in the middle of this?

View attachment 264470.

Love your pic. Is that Clark in the front?

It is going to be amazing for sure. :thumbsup2

I still think the tight bottle neck entrance to SWGE might be to stop the line from entering when needed, esp at first. :crowded:

Love your pic. Is that Clark in the front?

It is going to be amazing for sure. :thumbsup2

I still think the tight bottle neck entrance to SWGE might be to stop the line from entering when needed, esp at first. :crowded:

The problem Is MGM is about 1/3 the size in occupiable space as the other 3 parks...

So huge bottlenecks can't be effectively dispersed. I can't figure out how they'll handle gate entry...hypothetically

The problem Is MGM is about 1/3 the size in occupiable space as the other 3 parks...

So huge bottlenecks can't be effectively dispersed. I can't figure out how they'll handle gate entry...hypothetically

Agreed. Its a problem there.

I know the entrance is for visual effect when you enter, but it just seems extra tight. Could easily stop the crowd when at capacity. Almost looks like an entrance and exit could be used only a few feet wide, but that must just be an early pic.

Maybe exit only through TSL for a while?

enhance

Agreed. Its a problem there.

I know the entrance is for visual effect when you enter, but it just seems extra tight. Could easily stop the crowd when at capacity.

Maybe exit only through TSL for a while?

enhance

The other thing that is an issue is that disney parks are designed as "wheel" or "hub and spoke" or a combination of the two concepts so traffic can always flow in multiple directions from any point.

MGM is a basically 3 dead ends...and they aren't addressing this in this major retrofit...i think that's flawed thinking...trying to retain the backstage office space and parking was a big mistake...they should have expanded the footprint instead of worrying about the car entrance point.

It really is baffling why Disney is cornering themselves into IP specific lands. When a movie or IP becomes outdated and unpopular, they replace a ride, Now they have to rip and replace entire lands. err, mini
lands...

It really is baffling why Disney is cornering themselves into IP specific lands. When a movie or IP becomes outdated and unpopular, they replace a ride, Now they have to rip and replace entire lands. err, mini
lands...

Which is why they only choose things that have been "insulated" by history...20-30 minimum.

Little mermaid came out in 1989...when did they build full ride systems around it? 2010 for those of you at home.

Toy story is the only Pixar property in that category...so there you go.

Which is also why you can dismiss ALL runors that suggest overlays/construction with new or coming soon IP.

Such as the Epcot overlay of the Mexico Boatride with Coco...

Hard to take anyone seriously that spread/believed that.

To be fair, IOA opened HP with 3 rides (only 1 which was new).

Does anyone know the size difference of the two lands - SWL and HP?

Just looking for a point of reference to how well this SWL roll out will go.

And if FOP hit 4-5 hour waits, what are these 2 rides going to hit?

Great points.

To be fair, IOA opened HP with 3 rides (only 1 which was new).

Does anyone know the size difference of the two lands - SWL and HP?

Just looking for a point of reference to how well this SWL roll out will go.

And if FOP hit 4-5 hour waits, what are these 2 rides going to hit?

Great points.

Yes but IOA is landlocked and it was the first "land" in a park devoted to one IP only...it was experimental...

What's the excuse after disney has not only that example...but their own in California to draw upon?

The "excuse" is because they are timid due to cash considerations relative to stock price...

They are not overbuilding as per the original Disney's and the Eisner/wells did and were later criticized for. In retrospect they were right and later Eisner/iger ubdersbuikds have been wrong

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter