I won't give in till I reach the end... and then I'll start again (comments welcome)

Back to Princess!

im-not-fine-mirabel.gif

Those two peak weeks did not last. DD had a stomach bug overnight Monday, so I barely slept. I'll spare the graphic details. At the same time, as I wrote on the main Princess thread, my head cold was turning into a pretty bad sinus infection. I spent all day Tuesday in bed and had no energy.

It's cleared up since then but my energy has not returned that much. I'm concentrating on just moving forward. That's enough for what I can do at the moment.

So this week was supposed to be my peak mileage week according to my plan, but it wasn't. What can you do? I'm really proud of myself for persevering.

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 37.19k/23.11 miles
  • Running Time = 4:44
Monday
  • Planned: 30-45 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 36:51
  • Strength: Fit Fab Princess
Tuesday
  • Planned: Off or Easy Run for 30-40 minutes
    • Completed: Nothing whatsoever. Hugged my pillow for a few hours though, does that count?
  • Strength: Did some very easy recovery yoga.
Wednesday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Goal Pace Interval Workout: 2 miles (3 km) at Goal Pace, 5 minute slow recovery jog, 4 x 1 mile (1.5 km) at Goal Pace with 3-4 minute recovery jog in between + 15-25 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 1:09:04
    • Those 6 inches of snow were forecasted overnight from Wednesday to Thursday, so Wednesday morning was my best bet for "good" running conditions for my Quality workout. I was nowhere near peak physical condition but felt a lot better than the day before, so went out to do the best I could.
    • I knew right out of the gate that I wouldn't complete all 6 miles @ GP. I had trouble keeping my target pace during the WU. Running felt hard.
    • Surprisingly, managed the first 3 miles in 36:03. Yes!
    • After that, every interval was heavier and heavier. I was fading fast at mile 5 so I stopped after 1000m.
  • Strength: Fit Fab Princess. How in blazes I managed to do that, I do not know.
Thursday
  • Planned: Off, Cross-Train or Easy Run for 30-40 minutes
    • Completed: 35:00
    • McMillan's always have 6 runs planned in the week, with two optional. Being stubborn and a bit OCD, decided to catch up on Tuesday's skipped run.
    • Because of last night's snow, run was laboured.
  • Strength: 30 minutes of recovery yoga
Friday
    • Completed: 45:00
    • First day of sunshine in weeks. :flower1: But still lots of snow on the ground, so another laboured run. I felt exhausted and this was "only" a 45 minute easy run.
Saturday
  • Planned: 90-105 minute Long, Steady Run
    • Completed: 1:41:20
    • Big Bro wanted to go trail running this afternoon. 20 minutes in, I knew I would not be able to run 100 minutes in a loosely packed snow trail with a 900 ft ascent. I backtracked and ran loops in the parking lot while my brother finished his run. I didn't think I'd have the energy to do the full 100 minutes but I did. Finished with about 4k on trail and 7k on road. Got some great pictures.
20230128_140807.jpg 20230128_140815.jpg

Since I hadn't done enough that day, we went skiing with the kids right around supper time. The weather was amazing, not too cold and with lots of fresh snow from Wednesday night's snowstorm.

Sunday
  • Total rest day. Did some meal prepping for the week.
Only 3 weeks to go of training!

I'm not letting my anxiety get the best of me. But this is the last year I train for an A-race in the dead of winter. The coming week is forecasted to be the coldest so far with a high of 0F on Friday and -8F on Saturday. Treadmill here I come!

peter-pan-disney.gif

Oh and my quality workout on Wednesday: Speed Workout: 12 to 16 x 400m with 200m recovery jog plus 3 x 200m Strides with 200m recovery jog. Is that the Rat-a-Tat you were recommending @DopeyBadger ?

Oh and my quality workout on Wednesday: Speed Workout: 12 to 16 x 400m with 200m recovery jog plus 3 x 200m Strides with 200m recovery jog. Is that the Rat-a-Tat you were recommending @DopeyBadger ?

Close. As written that would be slightly easier than Rat-a-Tat (12-16 x 400m with 15s recovery).

Back to Princess!

Things of note this week...

The word best representing this training cycle will be perseverance. My confidence level for achieving my goal is about 50-60% but no one can't say I didn't work for it.

I only had 4 runs on my plan this week. It's usually 4 + 2 optional runs, but for some reason, the 2 optional runs were taken out of this week's plan.

Weather wise, I've had to struggle not to break down. It snowed non-stop from Sunday to Tuesday, which meant crappy running conditions. Then, we were stuck in that polar vortex from Friday morning to Sunday morning. Temps went down to a Feels Like of -40. When Fahrenheit catches up to Celsius, you know it's %&$%&$ cold.

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 35.97k/22.36 miles
  • Running Time = 4:23
Monday
    • Completed: 44:00
Tuesday
  • Off or Cross-Train
  • Strength: Recovery yoga with my yoga teacher
Wednesday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Speed Workout: 12 to 16 x 400m with 200m recovery jog plus 3 x 200m Strides with 200m recovery jog + 15-25 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 1:33:15
    • One of the hardest workouts mentally I've ever had to do. I only had a small window of opportunity to do this run and I have a limited stretch of road on asphalt I can run my paces. Most streets in my neighbourhood stay snow covered all winter and it's almost impossible to hit specific paces.
    • I had 6 reps of my 16 done, and the city workers decided to start snow loading on my street. 😭 That meant that my street was blocked off for the hour they were doing it. I had to pivot to find another spot that had at least 400m of cleared road.
    • 400m repeats: target of 2:01 - 2:09/rep
      • Intervals: 2:03, 2:07, 2:05, 2:02, 2:02, 2:06, 2:15 - switch streets - 2:05, 2:12, 2:15, 2:06, 2:09, 2:08, 2:09, 2:04
      • Quit after 14 reps. I was done, both mentally and physically.
    • 200m repeats: target of 1:00 - 1:04/rep
      • Intervals: 1:07, 1:06, 1:05
      • Did what my body could
    • Considering the conditions I had to run in, I can't believe I hit most of my paces. I could NEVER have done Rat-a-Tat though, I needed those 200m/1:30 recovery jogs.
  • Strength: I did not have any energy left for weight lifting. And seeing @The Expert 's post on running vs weight lifting explained why. I shouldn't mix hard runs and weights on the same day. Thanks for that post!
Thursday
  • Off or Cross-Train
  • Strength: Yesterday's missed Fit Fab Princess
Friday
  • Planned: 30-40 minute Easy Run
    • Completed: 37:37
    • Start of the polar vortex. Ran this on my treadmill. I tested out my Elsa costume, I'm super happy with how it turned out 🤩
Saturday
  • Planned: 75 minute Long, Steady Run
    • Completed: 11:00
    • I woke up to a -42 wind chill. It would have been stupid of me to go running for over an hour.
    • I dressed like an eskimo and went out for a mile shakeout run, just to experiment running in such cold temps. I was overdressed and started sweating, which is NOT good. It was fun though!
Sunday
  • Total rest day
    • Completed: 1:17:00

My plan stays intense for the next 10 days and then starts tapering until the 25th. I have two Goal Pace workouts left (yikes :scared:) + this Saturday is a 5k time trial @10k pace.

My goal for the 10k will be to smile the whole time. This is supposed to be fun, especially at Disney World. No matter what happens, I'm working hard and I need to be proud of myself for getting out there.

So, I'm hurt. That 10k PR isn't happening.

giphy.gif

I injured my hamstring during marathon training six months ago and a nagging pinch has remained ever since. Yesterday's goal pace run just injured it again. I had trouble getting out of bed this morning.

Next two weeks are going to be kept to a strict minimum running wise, and I'll run those 22 miles during PW at an easy pace. We're lucky enough to be able to run right?

I really am going to take some time off after Princess and not run for a few weeks. My stress levels are through the roof with work, the kids and my 10k training. Running is supposed to relieve stress, not add more of it.

This is going to be my month of March:
200w.gif

I'm actually really okay about this.

I'm so sorry to hear that!

We're lucky enough to be able to run right?

This is the mindset I try to keep, and if it ever shifts to a point where I feel I have to run, I take a break. Getting to run means you'll be looking forward to being healthy and back out there!

Always a tough decision to make. Keep the long term in mind. Maybe pulling back now will help make things feel better when the time comes. Maybe not. And even if not, Disney is a pretty great place to settle on some "B" goals as their race has a lot of other to enjoy.

Back to Princess!

Only 10 days to go until we leave. We've finalized our costumes, including the lights on my kids' costumes.

Those of you that read my journal know I hurt myself on Wednesday during my Goal Pace run. It physically wasn't what I wanted, but mentally it was what I needed. It's the excuse I needed to pull back and take it easy. This training cycle was becoming too hard on my mental health, especially since work has been the most stressful it's ever been in the 17 years I've been at the company. It was not a good time to try this PR.

I met with my osteopath Wednesday after my run and I'm seeing her again this Thursday. She confirmed it was a pulled hamstring. Since then I've been doing only VERY easy runs. No more Quality workouts before the races. I'm relieved.

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 37.04k/23.02 miles
  • Running Time = 4:34
Monday
    • Completed: 43:00
    • Went out for this run at 5am. There was another inch of fresh snow on the ground when I left the house so pace was super slow again.
Tuesday
    • Completed: 37:30
    • Went out after ths kids left on the school bus. It was cold but super sunny so Anne was a happy runner.
  • Had to skip yoga because of a work emergency. And she was supposed to do Sleep Yoga too which I love.
  • Strength: Fit Fab Princess. Convinced hubby to do it with me :) One of the many advantages of WFH
Wednesday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Goal Pace Intervals: 2 x 2 miles (3 km) at Goal Pace with 5 minute recovery jog, 5 minute recovery jog, 2 x 1 mile (1.5 km) at Goal Pace with 3 minutes recovery jog + 15-25 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 1:32:41
    • Everything about this run went wrong. I got honked by cars, city workers were snow loading again, temps were above freezing so snow was starting to melt on the streets. It was like running in muck.
    • I accidentally stopped my watch into my first GP interval. Managed to merge the activities with the .gpx data
    • 2mi repeats: target of 19:00
      • Intervals: 18:51, 19:37
    • 1mi repeats: target of 9:30
      • Intervals: 9:54, 10:05
    • My leg was hurting but I was too proud to quit and decided to power through. What a mistake.
    • It took everything I had to finish that first interval and I was consistently fading after every other one. I've read so many times about Billy saying to stop when your intervals fade. I didn't heed his advice. Mistake #2.
    • So physically I was a mess, and mentally I was a mess, knowing I couldn't keep up my pace for the 6 miles. I could feel that PR slipping through my fingers after every interval.
Thursday
    • Completed: Nothing.
Friday
    • Completed: 40:00
    • Did a very easy walk with small running intervals on the treadmill while we watched Mary Poppins
  • Strength: Wednesday's Fit Fab Princess
Saturday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Race or Time Trial: 5km + 15-25 minute Cool-Down
    • Completed: Nothing
    • I had found a local 5k but was waiting until the last minute to sign up for. Glad I didn't.
Sunday
  • Total rest day
    • Completed: 1:01:01
    • Programmed some 60/30 run/walk intervals on my Garmin and went out really easy. Gave me an opportunity to try out my Endorphin Pro 3's again.
    • I was sore but not hurting, which is my PT's general recommendation. If pain goes over the 1-2/10 threshold, I stop.
I'm confident I can finish the Challenge with easy running, even if my leg doesn't fully heal. I might even become a run/walk convert. I didn't mind as much as I thought I would to be constantly stopping and starting again.

Until then, I'll do the strict minimum running wise and concentrate on my packing. Can't wait! :flower1:

ralph-breaks-the-internet-princesses.gif

(This GIF is even more appropriate considering I'm Vanellope for the 5k 😁)

I'm throwing this out there if ever anyone else gets hurts with high hamstring tendinopathy

I've been icing and taking Tylenol regularly and it wasn't helping (which is consistent with tendinopathy, which isn't an inflammation). I found this video on YouTube and the comments are right. After two days of doing the suggested exercices, I'm already feeling much better.

Back to Princess!

Only 3 days to go until we leave. I'm stalking the weather - not for the race, but to make sure no storm hits us on Wednesday

This is my mood right now: :yay: Feeling excited and confident for Sat/Sun. I still have this pipe dream that I can achieve my goal on Saturday, but even if not, I'm confident I can finish in a very good time

Took it easy this week. My hamstring is still bothering me quite a bit, but it's a nuisance more than a hurting sensation at this point

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 29.38k/18.26 miles
  • Running Time = 3:25
Monday
    • Completed: 36:01
    • Tried out 90:30 intervals for this run. Cut the run a bit short to get home in time for A's cheerleading practice
  • Strength: Strength in Stride - Stability A
Tuesday
    • Crazy day at work + valentine's day so decided to skip it. Anyway I'm supposed to take it easy.
  • 45 minutes of recovery yoga during lunch time
Wednesday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Goal Pace Intervals: 3 x 2 miles (3 km) at Goal Pace with 3.5 minute slow jog in between + 15-25 minute Cool-down
    • DH, DD and myself were under the weather (slight fever and sligh cough) so I pushed all my runs out a day later. Not COVID though, so yay!
Thursday
  • Planned: 15-25 minute Warm-Up + Goal Pace Intervals: 3 x 2 miles (3 km) at Goal Pace with 3.5 minute slow jog in between + 15-25 minute Cool-down
    • Completed: 1:04:16
    • 2mi repeat: target of 19:00
      • Intervals: 20:41
    • l wanted to try my leg out a bit AND try doing intervals, so used 90:30. After the first interval, I wasn't hitting the pace and my leg was bothering me, so I skipped to the CD
    • Also still not convinced about run/walk when racing, cause it means doing the run intervals faster than the target pace.
Friday
    • Again, taking it easy before the race.
  • Strength: Last session of Run Fit Mama's Fit Fab Princess program

Saturday
    • Completed: 45:01
    • Went out with my running group for this one.
    • Tried to dress up for heat acclimation, but it was -12C/FL of -19 outside, so it's hard to dress up enough to be hot 😏
  • Per DopeyBadger's recommendation, spent a half hour in my FIL's hot tub on Saturday evening for further HAT. When you gotta, you gotta... The sacrifices we do for running.
Oh and there's someone in my running group who wants to try runDisney!! I was so excited I didn't think I'd find someone else. She tried out for the DL Half with no success, but she wasn't prepared. I said I'd help her out if she wanted to try for a DW race in 23-24.

Sunday
  • Planned: 45-60 minutes with the last 10 minutes at a faster pace
    • Completed: 1:00:01 (9.18k)
    • Pushed it a bit and the hamstring was sore but not hurting. Did 90:30 again for the first 50 minutes and I was able to hit pretty good paces. I was faster than Thursday's GP run.
    • At that "training" pace, I could have finished my 10k in ~65 minutes which is about the same time I did for W&D in November. So I might not be able to break an hour, but I know I can finish in a very good time!
    • It was a very nice 4C outside (yay for above freezing temps) so was able to dress enough to sweat.

My plan for this week is only easy running. I'm going to get up at 4am each day and run on the treadmill. Hopefully I'll have no issue after that going to bed at 7pm for the races the next day.

Can't wait to meet everyone at the meetups in the morning! I'll try to be at HH's but it'll depend on how the kids are cooperating on Saturday. And hopefully my wallet will survive the Expo. I want all the I Did It shirts and jackets :love:My princess of a daughter will probably want the Loungefly or something. Hopefully it's sold out before we get in 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter