I Went Soarin!!!!!!!!!

tmq2766

Please stand up before exiting...bye bye
Me and DD10 were in the right place at the right time on Wednesday the 23rd and got to try it out!!!!One word AWESOME!!!!!! This ride is WAY cool!!!!! I actually felt like I could dip my feet in the pacific ocean!!!!

My dw and I love Soarin' at DCA. I always think that I could knock one of those people out of their rafts if I don't pick my feet up a little.

I have never been on a glider before but it sure felt realistic to me...

I don't want to seem like a dope here, but can someone explain what "Soarin" is. I know it is a new ride in Epcot, I have been reading the boards. However no one has said exactly what it is. Can you fill me in? Thanks :confused3

The closest thing I can use to describe it is a multi-sensory motion simulator. It's like flying over various parts of CA. It's very gentle and smooth. You feel the breeze and over certain places, smell what you are going over. It's a very popular ride at DCA and sure to be one at Epcot.

If I can ride roller coasters, but get sick on the tea cups, a slight bit off on Star Tours, think I can ride it??? :confused3 I'm worried I might get sick.

:cloud9: With all the reports about Soarin it sounded fun But have some report that they was on the ride making me and my daughters every excited and can't wait to go on it. :cloud9:

lenshanem said:
If I can ride roller coasters, but get sick on the tea cups, a slight bit off on Star Tours, think I can ride it??? :confused3 I'm worried I might get sick.

I'm a Disneyland and DCA veteran and have ridden it many times. It's unlike any ride technology currently on the market. It's not closed in like your standard (Star Tours) motion simulator. You sit in a seat in a row and buckel a seat belt. Then you are lifted off the ground (feet dangling) and shown a movie on an Imax screen that gives you the illusion of flight. Couple that with minor turns, and add scents and viola, you've got Soarin'! :) I've never seen anyone get sick on it. Even those afraid of heights seem to do well.

It really is an incredible ride and I'm so glad you guys in FL are getting it! California is a beautiful state (as a 14th generation native - I'm proud of it!). I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

:)

anyone know if there is a height requirement on this ride? :confused3

we will have a 3 year old with us. I know that this is something that he would LOVE to see...

thanks! =)

jen :earsgirl:

Fot the little fliers, there is a loop you can pull up between thier legs and buckle the seat belt through the loop. It keeps little fliers in thier place! :) If they don't measure up to the arrow on the seat, they'll need that loop used.

This ride sounds like so much fun to me, I can't wait to ride it on my June trip!

Terri

JDarling said:
Then you are lifted off the ground (feet dangling) and shown a movie on an Imax screen that gives you the illusion of flight.
:)

I think it sound purrfectly wondeful! :teleport: I love the sensation of flying. How high off the floor does it lift you?

That depends on what row you're in. Row 1 is the highest (I would wager around 50 feet). Row two is below row 3 (So about 40 feet) and row 3 is below row 2 (so about 30 feet). My suggestion would be to go to row 2. You may have to deal with the feet of people in row 1, but you don't see the top of the screen (like you do in row 1) and the bottom of the screen (like you do in row 3). You start out with the three rows on the floor, 1 in the front and 3 in the back (there are 2 rows of each side by side). Once you are all ready for "lift off", the seats rotate up as they are lifted in front of the screen.

My family also really enjoyed SOARIN'. I had read about it and was disappointed that it would not be open during our visit last week, nor could we make the special preview weekend in April for DVC members. Luckily, one of the kids had to use the bathroom after Journey Into Imagination, and we noticed this unusual line of guests waiting along the walkway.

There is a height restriction. I don't remember exactly, but it's in the 40 inch range. Basically, you can't have lap children; they have to be belted into a seat of their own -- no problem if they're at least 4 or 5, but my 2-year-old couldn't go.

I had read a description comparing the ride to hang gliding, so I was a little surprised to find that you just sit in a normal seat -- more like a glider than a hang glider. I guess I had envisioned some sort of harness, or at least an arrangement where you lean forward a little. I wonder how many of the people who say "this feels just like hang gliding" have ever been hang gliding.

The motion sickness warnings made me shake my head, as they look a lot like the warnings for Mission: SPACE. In my opinion, the risk of motion sickness from SOARIN' is very small, while at least momentary queasiness is almost guaranteed on Mission: SPACE. I really like both rides, but to give the very same "may cause motion sickness" label seems misleading.

I wonder how many years it will be before Disney changes the movie. Flying over California is great, but one of the great things about the design of this ride is that it would be economical to re-theme. Of course, they'll probably also want to change the name and start promoting it as a whole new ride (like they redecorated Magic Kingdom's Alien Encounter with Stitch and are now promoting it as entirely new).

Anyway, SOARIN' is great. Sure, it's just a big movie screen with a scent generator and moving chairs, but the viewing experience is both relaxing and exhilerating. My 5-year-old especially loved it and insisted on riding a second time with his grandfather (who had been watching the 2-year-old while the rest of us rode). They both returned with huge smiles.

- M

We will arrive just in time for the last day of the DVC/AP preview for Soarin (April 17). I rearranged my entire trip in order to catch this.

Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter