I tried to like Harmonius, I really did

k5xs

DIS Veteran
Arrived at the Swan last night at 8pm and wanted to take advantage of the extended hours, so we walked over to EPCOT.

Sat down in UK for some fish ‘n chips and had very nice seating just in time for Harmonius. We’d seen it streaming before, as well as once a few months ago in person. I wasn’t a fan before but thought I’d give it another chance.

Nope. Compared to Illuminations it’s such a disappointment.

1. The IP does not fit EPCOT. It’s grossly out of place.

2. The music is loud (garish even) and is inconsistent with the charming elegance of World Showcase.

3. There is no discernible message. It’s a bunch of clips of animated songs that in the aggregate say “We’re a bunch of clips of animated songs.”

4. For 27 minutes of after-darkness program, it hardly seems worth destroying the sight line around the lagoon all day every day with floating “Stargate” and “Giant Taco” barges.

5. To the producers’ credit, it’s technically excellent. The fireworks are outstanding (and drew applause), and the barges do cool stuff. It’s just a shame it’s _this_ stuff.

Oh I so long for the elegance and eye-watering message of Illuminations.

I agree with you 100%. We watched it for the first time in January and while we thought it was OK, it did not connect with us on the same level that Illuminations did. We will be back in a few weeks and when I was planning out the trip I asked who wanted to watch Harmonious and everyone was in agreement that only if we had time, but it wasn't a priority. With Illuminations we would watch it at minimum once a trip and usually twice.

I am one who never sat and watched illuminations and just listened and walked. Me and my family really liked harmonious this past trip. The songs were great and really it's what's enchanted is missing. The message is about culture. The multiple languages is amazing and the songs still hit all the notes for me.

I do dislike the barges. The water cannons can go imo.

I really like Harmonius. The more times I see it the more I like it. While I miss some of the songs from Illuminations, I hated the seven minutes of boring stuff with the globe.
Oh man, the “seven minutes of boring stuff with the globe” was the best part!

The story of the creation of Earth, the evolution of animals, the emergence of mankind, early exploration, the evolution of technology… Wow, that was so moving to me. It was EXACTLY what EPCOT was about.

And Illuminations’ musical score wove a moving story of how we are all tied together as a planet. And the closing song’s lyrics brought tears every time.

I get none of that from the new show.

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

I actually like the IP - hearing some of the songs in their native languages and some of them with a more cultural twist is amazing! I get chills listening to Harmonious!

However, I will agree with you that the barges look terrible during the day. It really takes away from World Showcase and it's beauty. I wish there was a way they could put them away during the day.

I agree with you 100%. We watched it for the first time in January and while we thought it was OK, it did not connect with us on the same level that Illuminations did. We will be back in a few weeks and when I was planning out the trip I asked who wanted to watch Harmonious and everyone was in agreement that only if we had time, but it wasn't a priority. With Illuminations we would watch it at minimum once a trip and usually twice.
Completely agree.
Our last trip, when the parks were packed, we had our pick of where we wanted to watch HarmoniUS (other than the 2 prime areas).
When Illuminations was running, you had to find a spot at least 30 minutes prior or longer to get just a decent viewing area. A lot less people sticking around to watch, at least the last 2 times we were there.

Enchantment is a hot dumpster fire.
Enchantment was made for people needing constant stimulation.
I wasn't wowed by it, but appreciated what they did.
I thought it actually had too much in the projections. You can't see all the projections and fireworks at the same time so had to choose what to watch.

Enchantment was made for people needing constant stimulation.
I wasn't wowed by it, but appreciated what they did.
I thought it actually had too much in the projections. You can't see all the projections and fireworks at the same time so had to choose what to watch.
Doesn't sound good to me at all:sad1:

I have wanted to see Harmonious since it came out. I *finally* got to watch it this past weekend - and it was a dud for me. :headache: Aside from the Coco portion which the crowd seemed to love. It was lively and colorful. Other than that - I actually left the show to find my way out to the exit before the crowds. Definately a one and done for me. The ugly arms of the structure and the enormous barges just need to go. Scrap the show and get Illuminations or something else in its place.

Nothing was more jaw dropping than the holiday tag to Illuminations. Literally too my breath away.

Harmonius is...fine. upbeat. Fun. Not a must stop to watch.

Enchantment is a hot dumpster fire.
My 9 year old refuses to watch Enchantment in person. She told us she is boycotting it because she is so mad they took away HEA. We watched a stream of Enchantment once and now we ride Dumbo during it to see some fireworks, but she refuses to go in front of the castle for it 😆

I am another who loved Illuminations. I wanted to like Harmonious. It didn't do anything for me. I loved the feels from Illuminations. Don't get any of that with Harmonious.
I can't think of one thing about Illuminations that I didn't like. In all our times seeing it, I honestly can't recall one person saying they didn't like it. The crowds always seemed to be so inspired and touched by it. I know we always left the park feeling SO hopeful about life in general. I hope they bring it back:love:

My 9 year old refuses to watch Enchantment in person. She told us she is boycotting it because she is so mad they took away HEA. We watched a stream of Enchantment once and now we ride Dumbo during it to see some fireworks, but she refuses to go in front of the castle for it 😆
Omg, must be that age thing because my now 10 yr old son REFUSES to ever watch Enchantment again. SO angry about the loss of HEA. He literally hates Enchantment. I was actually surprised by his strong feelings. :)

Omg, must be that age thing because my now 10 yr old son REFUSES to ever watch Enchantment again. SO angry about the loss of HEA. He literally hates Enchantment. I was actually surprised by his strong feelings. :)
Same! She was way more angry about it than I thought..but at least now we don’t have to sit in people soup in front of the castle for 2 hours so its a win for me!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter