I think the reviews about the Disney Wish are wrong

asgur5

Mouseketeer
I nearly cancelled my Disney wish cruise based on all the negative reviews (I know many have) and I am so glad I didnt. Now I must point out the only other ship Ive been on is the Wonder which we loved. But in our view not only only does the Wish stand up relative to the Wonder but in our view is clearly superior. Here's why:

Kids club: the kids club is better themed and there is more to do on the Wish. Our kids often got bored on the Wonder kids club when there werent interesting activities on. On the Wish our kids never wanted to leave. Having a kids club the kids always want to be in massively improves holidays for families.

Atrium: when the early photos came out i thought the Wishs atrium looked cheap. But in person it looks much better and we actually preferred it to the wonder even if the Cinderella statue is creepy. But where the atrium on the Wish clearly wins is the light show at night with the perfectly choosen song from Cinderella. Its pure disney magic that there is no equivalent for on the wonder. Perfect ending to a night thatvwill make you happy to be alive. The victrophonics (who play in the atrium) were also superior to any of the non theatre entertainment on the Wonder. Unique disney interpretations that got all the kids dancing (and some adults).

Family Water area: disney wish wins. the split pools on the disney wish meant we sometimes had a pool on our own or with only one other family which made it more enjoyable. On the wonder it was always people soup in the main pool. Couldnt move. Had to keep telling the kids to not get in the way of others. The Aqua mouse is also a massive advantage over the wonder which has no waterslide for people over 10. And that one slide had a ridiculous queue all the time. It was a waste of time. However, If you timed it right you could sometimes ride the aqua mouse continuously without any need to queue or even climb stairs (on Castaway Cay morning you basically get the aqua mouse to yourself). The kids also really loved the cartoon skits on the aqua mouse. Me and my wife didnt get the appeal but the kids loved that aspect and after the 10th ride in a row they just wanted to keep going back for more.

Adults pool area. Disney wonder wins clearly. Its just way better on the wonder. Althhough we never used the adults pool areas on either ship so didnt impact us at all. Cruise pools just arent our jam due to lack of size.

Restaurants: this is close but again the Wish wins. The Arrendelle dinner show is amazing. Seriously this is disney magic at its peak. This isnt a show where the characters just sing a standard rendition of the Frozen songs. The renditions of the songs are all unique and amazing. Especially the violinists. You will also never guess which characters sing Let it go and its brilliant. I would pay money for a soundtrack of this. Im stunned people arent talking about this show more. We all had tears at one point. The equivalent Tiana restaurant show on the Wonder simply doesnt stand up in comparison. The music is just mostly background noise with Tiana singing a couple of songs. Admittedly the surprise finale after dinner is also peak disney magic on Tianas but it only last a couple of minutes. Animaters Plate on the Wonder is better then Marvel. If you like Marvel though you will enjoy the Marvel show. But animaters plate is clearly better and would work well on repeat where I cant see how the Marvel show does. Walts is better then Tritons. It feels sophisticated and the art work is amazing. Tritons looked cheap and has no disney magic at all. As for the food we could really not spot any difference in quality in any of the rotational restaurants across both ships. Its not great. But its not bad either. Adults restaurants better on the Wish cos you have an extra restaurant. And its more up market. Enchante dinner was great.

Adult drinking areas: here the wish clearly beats the wonder. Seriously the theming of adults areas on the Wonder is terrible. The Cadillac bar with seats that looks like parts of car is the best they can do on the Wonder for theming? Reallt? Just very little magic. The star wars lounge on the Wish however was great. I know a lot of people knock the decor but we liked it. People seem to forget that not everywhere on star wars looks like an industrial outpost dive bar. We felt it was completely immersive and we loved watching the space ship window. Drinks were unique and solid without being fantastic. We also loved the Rose and Nightingdales when the piano was on (although we thought the piano player on the Wonder was better). Both have some amazing drinks and great presentation. The sports pub and bayou were also better themed then the wonder equivalents. The wish adults areas did seem smaller but they were rarely full so it wasnt an issue for us.

Theatre shows: i will give it to the wonder just. But its very close. The goofy sea captain show on the wish is too short but it has a couple of absolute banger songs. Disney dream probably better cos theres more to it and we liked the integration of peter pan. Aladdin and frozen are line ball as the best shows on each ship. Little mermaid and golden mickeys are not as good but each have their moments.

The lack of walking track on the wish and the lack of feeling like you are on a ship: here is the biggest negative Ive read of the wish (along with the adult pool area). But on the shorter trips I dont think its that big a negative unless you have an addiction to outside jogging and cant stop for 2-3 days. Longer trips i can see it being more of a problem. Plus you can walk, there's just stairs. And there is a big plus to the wish walking track that no one is mentioning. You can walk to the front of the ship on the wish and the view is stunning. Both looking out to the ocean and then looking back at the front of the enormous ship. Some people complain you dont feel like you are on a ship on the wish. For me I didnt notice any difference with the Wonder at all in this regard and you never felt more that you were on a ship when you are standing outside at the very front on the Wish. I have a feeling if the older ships had this and then they took it away on the wish there would be a lot of complaints.

So am I wrong about the wish and the reviews are right? Probably to a certain degree as taste is subjective. However, I think nostalgia bias is weighing on a lot of the reviews. People overvalue the good things taken away and then undervalue the good new things they didnt previously have. Its just the way people are wired so we all have the same bias. If you are considering not going on the Wish because of the reviews then please reconsider. This doesnt mean the negatives of the wish arent negatives. But there are a number of things the wish does better (I havent even mentioned the pirate night show) and there are unique magical disney experiences on the Wish you dont get anywhere else that for some will make the Wish the best ship of all.

Thoughts?

We almost didn’t book the Wish due to all the negative reviews and people saying if you have ever cruised before on DCL you will hate the Wish, the Wish is made for people who never have cruised DCL, etc. Well we all loved it more than the Dream. Can’t just go on peoples reviews since everyone’s tastes are different, and I’m glad we tried it ourselves

Senior citizen here who likes to swim in the adult pool early. The lack of HA access to the adult pool is really the only negative I can say about the Wish. One day I was able to use one of the smaller round pools with a few children, but on the next cruise on the Wish, it was always too crowded.

I enjoyed the Little Mermaid show. I really enjoyed the counter service foods, and all the special art displays on the Wish, I thought she was beautiful.

We will probably not sail on her again. I understand the Treasure will have HA access to the adult pool, so, right away that’s a plus.

Glad you enjoyed the Wish, I enjoyed your review.

You should always try something for yourself. The DCL loyalist should also keep that in mind when thinking about trying another cruise line. I've read numerous posts on here where people form opinions and won't try something based on some strangers review. If there is an overwhelmingly amount of negative reviews than I get it, but most ships are a mixed bag when it comes to reviews.

I did not like the Wish because of the layout and the lack of running track. Those are two things that are very important to me. I also tend to like more mid size ships where everything make sense and is easy to get to. I don't think you have to an addiction to jogging to find the lack of promenade deck annoying. If you need to run they have treadmills...that's an insulting statement.

Like I said I'm glad you enjoyed the Wish. I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote, but it's your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.. just like there is nothing wrong with my opinion. Why would you title a thread that way?

I
'

I actually like the title - because that is the premise and content of the post.

If the word “shocking” was included, I might have given it no credence.

Where I think an error might come in is that I haven’t been reading as many negative reviews of the Wish after the initial few months’ reactions.

Possibly that is when OP was making their decision and booking. It is a good thing for that family that they could make their own choice. And sound happy to have done so.

Unless we are getting into objective criteria and facts, a review is an opinion. So many decisions we make in life are based on just that - opinions. Otherwise, there would be only one choice for anything, because it is scientifically the best.

Nice little tidbits of info included, like doing water ride while everyone runs off early to CC. I always love my private beach time during the last hour at CC when nearly everyone has already gone back to the ship.

What does “line ball” mean in the theater shows paragraph?

Thanks.

I did not like the Wish because of the layout and the lack of running track. Those are two things that are very important to me. I also tend to like more mid size ships where everything make sense and is easy to get to. I don't think you have to an addiction to jogging to find the lack of promenade deck annoying. If you need to run they have treadmills...that's an insulting statement.

Not meaning to hijack, but I'm curious if you think there is a possibility to run back and forth on a single side of the ship? From what I understand of the layout it seems like that might work.

We are booked on Treasure in the spring, and I'm assuming it will be the same way with no jogging track. That will really be a bummer for us since we have really made use of the track on all our other cruises. But, we knew it would be the case going into it. Our tentative plan is to just do laps back and forth on a single side if it's possible. The plus for this will be we can stay in the shade if it's hot out. We usually mix other exercise in our routine ... like do a lap, stop for 50 crunches, do a lap, stop for 20 pushups, etc, so the changing direction points could be a natural place to do those extras.

We will definitely check out the fitness center, but I agree running on a treadmill is not nearly as enjoyable for me.

Same here!!! We went on the Wish for a girl's trip in January. It was the only itinerary/location/date that worked for all of us and I was devastated. I had heard so many bad things and it was going to be my sister and mom's first time on a Disney cruise. I kept trying to lower their expectations about the ship because I was so worried we wouldn't like it. I went in with a "we're just going to make the best of it" attitude. We were blown away!!! I was so glad we picked it. I'd been on many DCL cruises (Fantasy being my favorite ship) but absolutely loved the Wish. It's so beautiful and the bars and lounges are so great. Loved how there were little coffee shops all over the place. Restaurants were fabulous. Would go on it again in a heartbeat.

I would hope that no one would actually cancel their cruise on the Wish based on other people’s opinions. But I disagree with your take and think the Wish is the worst ship in the fleet. The only redeeming qualities she has in my opinion are the food on deck and the concierge amenities. But that hasn’t stopped me from booking the Treasure. Even Disneys worst ship is still worth a try.

I had 3 problems with the Wish.
  1. The adult pool and Cove Cafe are so out of place around the back of the ship that it makes them almost useless from an access perspective.
  2. If I recall, I only remember there being 1 hot tub on the entire ship.
  3. The inside stateroom we had, even though it said it was the same size as those on the Dream and Fantasy (but noticeably smaller than those on the Magic/Wonder) was a storage nightmare. I would not put more than 2 people in an inside on the Wish. Whereas I think that those that had a balcony had 3 closet spaces, the interiors only have one.
Other than that, the ship was fine. Would I pick it over the others? No, but that is personal preference. I also didn't like the version of Palo on the Wish either, but we couldn't get brunch, so we only had availability of the Prix Fixe dinner, which was "meh". Quite honestly, the only reason we went there was due to Platinum/Pearl benefits.

We did like the Festival of Foods area (other than it being so dang hot there), especially Donald's Cantina and the BBQ. I also thought Marceline Market was well done, but I wish it had been open for Dinner as well (though that is a problem on all DCL ships).

So, would I sail her again? Sure, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Not meaning to hijack, but I'm curious if you think there is a possibility to run back and forth on a single side of the ship? From what I understand of the layout it seems like that might work.
I guess that depends on how you feel about stairs. The promenade goes from deck 4 to deck 6 with two separate flights of stairs. If you're OK with stairs, then you can actually job almost all the way around the ship, then turn around and go back the other way.

If you want to avoid the stairs, then sure, you can just go back and forth on one side of deck 4. About half of the promenade is on deck 4.

(There's actually a third set of stairs that goes up to deck 5 in the back, but I don't know if that's open for guests.)

It's all so subjective. I haven't been on the Wish yet, but re: your points. Not that you're wrong, just different things appeal to me.

Kids Clubs - N/A. Our youngest is 19

Atrium - Honestly not a factor for me. They're all fine but not a space I spend time in

Family water area - N/A, see above

Adult pool area - I love the adult pool deck section on the Magic/Wonder. Not a fan of the layout on the other ships

Restaurants - They're all fine and comparable, in my opinion. I'm not a Frozen fan, so that is not a draw to get me on the Wish. The Magic is probably my fave for dining.

Bars - Cadillac Lounge is my favorite out of all the ships, so clearly we have different preferences. I vastly prefer Magic/Wonder over Dream/Fantasy for bars.

Shows - They're all good. Beauty & the Beast is the best. I think that's on the Dream. No complaints about any of them tho.

Walking deck - I have mobility issues that make stairs challenging and prefer longer cruises, so these are the big strikes against the Wish. At some point, we'll add a short cruise on the Wish combined with a WDW trip, but there's nothing about the Wish that is a draw for me over the other ships.

It's all so subjective. I haven't been on the Wish yet, but re: your points. Not that you're wrong, just different things appeal to me.

Kids Clubs - N/A. Our youngest is 19

Atrium - Honestly not a factor for me. They're all fine but not a space I spend time in

Family water area - N/A, see above

Adult pool area - I love the adult pool deck section on the Magic/Wonder. Not a fan of the layout on the other ships

Restaurants - They're all fine and comparable, in my opinion. I'm not a Frozen fan, so that is not a draw to get me on the Wish. The Magic is probably my fave for dining.

Bars - Cadillac Lounge is my favorite out of all the ships, so clearly we have different preferences. I vastly prefer Magic/Wonder over Dream/Fantasy for bars.

Shows - They're all good. Beauty & the Beast is the best. I think that's on the Dream. No complaints about any of them tho.

Walking deck - I have mobility issues that make stairs challenging and prefer longer cruises, so these are the big strikes against the Wish. At some point, we'll add a short cruise on the Wish combined with a WDW trip, but there's nothing about the Wish that is a draw for me over the other ships.
I'm with you. I'll be on the Wish in November for my BFF's wedding. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd be trying it - though a lot of that has to do with 3 and 4 nighters being too short for me as a rule. And yeah - different things appeal.

Kids' Clubs - I'm a solo adult, so n/a.

Atrium - From all the pictures and videos I've seen, it looks much more closed in than the others thanks to the stage area. Maybe it's different in person, but we'll see.

Family Water Area - Again, solo adult so n/a. Might have been open to trying the Mouse, but from almost all reports I've seen they require you going double. Not sharing a raft in that position with someone I don't know. No way, no how. So it's a no-go.

Adult Pool Area - Neutral. As a rule pools skeeve me out, so I'm not a big pool person.

Restaurants - I'm excited to try them.

Bars - I do NOT like that there is no dedicated Adult Club Area like on all the other ships - and they seem smaller. I don't see why they felt the need to break it up. (Oh, wait. They put someone who has never been on a cruise and doesn't get it in charge of designing this ship class.) I hate Star Wars, so there is ZERO appeal there. (I am psyched about the Haunted Mansion Lounge though - and between that and the Moana show I might be willing to sail the Treasure just for those two.)

Shows - I am literally only going to Seas the Adventure. Aladdin and TLM are my two least favorite Disney movies, so that means I'll be finding something to do during that time.

Walking Track - I do like walking all the way around - or doing run/walk - so not being able to do that without stairs (not an issue for me, but annoying) is kind of a pain. I don't see why they couldn't have put one on the top like other ships without a promenade deck do (oh wait...designer who knows nothing about cruising...right). I'm not "addicted" (horrible, negative connotation there OP), but I do live in NYC and am used to walking pretty much everywhere so just for my mental well-being I like to keep that up, and I'd prefer outside to a treadmill. As for the bow, I got over any semblance of a need for a Titanic moment long ago.

So...we'll see in November. At least if I end up hating the ship, I'll be able to celebrate my BFF. And hopefully we'll make Castaway.

I certainly would not stay away from the Wish based on people's opinions. They are very subjective and as you have found out, you enjoyed the ship. There are a few things on there I would like to experience but what is keeping us from sailing the Wish is the price tag for (what we consider) a lack lustre itinerary. Coming from the west coast it's not worth it for a 3 or 4 night cruise (and b2b definitely would not happen) but that's a secondary excuse for us as we could easily add on a few days at WDW. Like I said, price and itinerary is what keeps us away from this particular ship.

We are booked on Treasure in the spring, and I'm assuming it will be the same way with no jogging track. That will really be a bummer for us since we have really made use of the track on all our other cruises. But, we knew it would be the case going into it. Our tentative plan is to just do laps back and forth on a single side if it's possible. The plus for this will be we can stay in the shade if it's hot out. We usually mix other exercise in our routine ... like do a lap, stop for 50 crunches, do a lap, stop for 20 pushups, etc, so the changing direction points could be a natural place to do those extras.

We will definitely check out the fitness center, but I agree running on a treadmill is not nearly as enjoyable for me.
From the deck plans and reports in this forum, you should be able to have some single-level (no stairs) space I’ve marked with lines on the deck plans (you can ignore the arrow points).

Port and starboard straight, midship on Deck 4
A U-shape, forward Deck 5
Access them by the elevator lobbies.
Maybe not ideal, but it might be better than the treadmill.
If you want to run/ walk, you will make it work.

IMG_7523.jpeg

Last edited:
We loved the Wish! Fantasy is still my favorite but I have high hopes for the Treasure next summer!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter